Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do females really outnumber the males?

Bendy

Do females really outnumber the males? As in by the cannon show's universe. Not fan fictions, such as Reverse Gender Role Equestria.

Edited by Bendy

Obviously, there are more star female characters than star male characters, but as for the entire Equestrian population, no one knows. With male and female background characters everywhere, I just assume the population by gender is split the same way it is in real life. 

• Brohoof 2

Considering that from an evolutionary perspective it makes little sense to have a high female to male ratio..

I'd say it's split about 50/50, it just so happens that our protagonists are mainly female and the show is portrayed from such an angle.

Only reason we think there's a more female-to-male ratio is because the most prominent characters are female. Realistically it's probably 50/50

I'm pretty sure the mares did outnumber the stallions in the early seasons of the show, I believe I even saw someplace one time about a show staffer acknowledging that there were way too many mares than stallions in the early seasons. However, as the show went on, the show staff began to add more stallions to crowd/town scenes to better balance things out. In the later seasons of the show mares outnumbering the stallions is no longer an issue :P

• Brohoof 3

I saw a video about this once. They argued that you don't see many males in most of the scenes in Ponyville because it's a farm town and they're mostly working in the fields. It showed that in scenes on holidays and in Canterlot that there are about an equal number of males.

Also when the show became popular and made a shift from just being made to appeal to little girls they probably made more of a conscious effort to make the background more diverse.

• 5 months later...

At least the show focused more on female characters, but this doesn't mean that there also would be more female than male ponys in this world.

• Brohoof 1

In the early seasons, yes, but later on it developed a nice balance between males and females. I don't mind it as long as the characters are good.