Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching [OOC] The Æther Project

Illiad Easle

@Kujamih

That's an odd point to get hung up on, but sure, let's talk about that.

13 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

I'm quite hard to convince that that's just possible.

Well, if you remove currency from the equation, remember that ponies by nature are far more communal than humans, recognize that their diet is primarily easy to grow, and the fact that copious amounts of magic is involved, I don't think it's a hard stretch to believe that, at least nutritionally, none of the residents are lacking.

In regards to a class system there are two bits of founding culture to consider. First, and least interesting, the Æther Project was designed by scientists and researchers to maximize viability and survival, not comfort. Most of the seats when it first launched were reserved for paragons of culture and science, which Troy considers it's most valuable resources. It's primary purpose being to preserve the scientific and cultural advancements made by civilization through the impending apocalypse. The wealthy or 'upper class' as you might surmise do not often align with those paragons outside of philanthropy, so only the charitable of the wealthy were allowed aboard, as well as the selfish few who managed to bribe their way on. A vast minority compared to the rest.

While it is true that some of these paragons would be afforded slightly better accommodations, they were only assigned as was deemed necessary for preserving their talents and abilities. Performers given space to practice and researchers given easy access to the laboratories. The planners recognized that the project would only succeed on the long term if everyone worked together and as such designed it in such a way that most everyone would be on equal footing.

The second and far more interesting point is the concept of Trojan Exceptionalism, or rather the cultural ideal that to prove one's wealth and status is to give the most to others. If anything they would strive to forgo luxuries in favor of allowing others to have them as the societal approval of their sacrifice is worth far more to them than the amenity itself. Hoarding for the sake of hoarding is frowned upon in Troy even before the incident. A true Trojan gives all they can and takes only what is fair because they recognize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

That said there are those aboard who do not espouse such sentiments and often are the ones who cause trouble, Apollo is an example of this. There are those who think their station entitles them to better treatment and higher quality luxuries, but I'd like to believe that for the above reasons they are a minority on the Project.

18 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

We can see that the menu has limits where I can order somethings that shadow can't

If anything, Shadow would have more options being a guard than Light, as Light is not anything in any official capacity. Were we to do it your way Light would be lucky to eat at all, it's not like Apollo is paying.

I could go on if anyone's interested, I've got a few examples from human history that back this up as well as more detailed backstory as to why Troy is the way it is.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

Well, if you remove currency from the equation, remember that ponies by nature are far more communal than humans, recognize that their diet is primarily easy to grow, and the fact that copious amounts of magic is involved, I don't think it's a hard stretch to believe that, at least nutritionally, none of the residents are lacking.

But aether project has more than ponies inside of them.... Remember you made herbivorous, carnivorous and emotionivorius meals.

9 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

In regards to a class system there are two bits of founding culture to consider. First, and least interesting, the Æther Project was designed by scientists and researchers to maximize viability and survival, not comfort. Most of the seats when it first launched were reserved for paragons of culture and science, which Troy considers it's most valuable resources. It's primary purpose being to preserve the scientific and cultural advancements made by civilization through the impending apocalypse. The wealthy or 'upper class' as you might surmise do not often align with those paragons outside of philanthropy, so only the charitable of the wealthy were allowed aboard, as well as the selfish few who managed to bribe their way on. A vast minority compared to the rest.

You just need that selfish few to influence and spread corruption.

13 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

While it is true that some of these paragons would be afforded slightly better accommodations, they were only assigned as was deemed necessary for preserving their talents and abilities. Performers given space to practice and researchers given easy access to the laboratories. The planners recognized that the project would only succeed on the long term if everyone worked together and as such designed it in such a way that most everyone would be on equal footing.

I see... But of course there's someone else who has better accomodations. Hence  someone  can manipulate that. And make propaganda that equality in the aether project is false......hmmmm who would do that? I guess the cultists or the selfish few who got in.... The selfish will always find a way to preserve themselves....

19 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

The second and far more interesting point is the concept of Trojan Exceptionalism, or rather the cultural ideal that to prove one's wealth and status is to give the most to others. If anything they would strive to forgo luxuries in favor of allowing others to have them as the societal approval of their sacrifice is worth far more to them than the amenity itself. Hoarding for the sake of hoarding is frowned upon in Troy even before the incident. A true Trojan gives all they can and takes only what is fair because they recognize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

True... If everyone in the Aether is a true trojan. Not everyone in the aether project is a trojan anymore.:toldya:

21 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

That said there are those aboard who do not espouse such sentiments and often are the ones who cause trouble, Apollo is an example of this. There are those who think their station entitles them to better treatment and higher quality luxuries, but I'd like to believe that for the above reasons they are a minority on the Project.

See.... So yeah....:mlp_wat:

23 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

If anything, Shadow would have more options being a guard than Light, as Light is not anything in any official capacity. Were we to do it your way Light would be lucky to eat at all, it's not like Apollo is paying.

...wait what!? I thought I was playing an important roll:blink::laugh:.

That can work too!

25 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

could go on if anyone's interested, I've got a few examples from human history that back this up as well as more detailed backstory as to why Troy is the way it is.

That's why it's called history:toldya:

• Brohoof 1

@Kujamih

On 2021-07-09 at 4:37 PM, Kujamih said:

me being this way shows my interest in this project. I do not mean to offend anyone.  Just wanna put it out there okay

None taken, I always appreciate when others give me constructive feedback on the worlds I've made.

On 2021-07-09 at 4:34 PM, Kujamih said:

But aether project has more than ponies inside of them.... Remember you made herbivorous, carnivorous and emotionivorius meals.

While's that's true, ponies are still a majority on the project, and the vast majority of non-ponies on the project are Trojan.

You just need that selfish few to influence and spread corruption.

Spreading corruption takes time, the project has only been going five years so far, and violent dissidents are removed every cycle. (Why else do you think there's enough space to bring in so many new ponies each cycle?)

Hence  someone  can manipulate that. And make propaganda that equality in the aether project is false......hmmmm who would do that? I guess the cultists or the selfish few who got in.... The selfish will always find a way to preserve themselves....

One would need to believe that the better accommodations are undeserved, and that they themselves deserve better. The Project never promised Equality, they promised Equity, which has a big difference. With Equality, everyone receives the same amount and quality of resources regardless of their needs and wants. With Equity, everyone receives an amount of resources and quality determined by their needs and wants. There's a great picture on Google if you search Equality vs Equity.

Nonetheless, there are no doubt selfish individuals on board who will grumble and complain, however they are met with the insurmountable alternative that they could be left behind, returned to the wasteland, if they are not happy with their situation. Faced with the alternative of near certain death, few are vocal with their complaints.

..wait what!? I thought I was playing an important roll

You are, but secret agents can expect no special treatment, or everyone would know they were a secret agent.

That can work too!

Again, I disagree with this angle, that is not the world I wish to convey in this story. The story needs the conditions to be near idyllic on the Project so that few on board have any reason to help the rebels oust Apollo before damage is done. The arc of this story is for the rebels to take the unpopular route to ultimately succeed in the end, because they can't afford to wait for things to fall apart before acting.

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

While's that's true, ponies are still a majority on the project, and the vast majority of non-ponies on the project are Trojan.

Then this will make it hard  to feed everyone, is my point here.

24 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

Spreading corruption takes time, the project has only been going five years so far, and violent dissidents are removed every cycle. (Why else do you think there's enough space to bring in so many new ponies each cycle?)

Is it hard to spread corruption. You know the saying " it's easier to be bad?"

And removed every cycle? How sure are you that the ones removed are bad  and not accidentally killing off the whistle blowers? This is one of the tactics of the corrupt. Scape goat and blame game.

And the proof that the removal is inaccurate is Apollo! Apollo should've been removed many cycles already! He wants me dead the first time we met! Sure Light can get in anyone's nerves! But attempt to kill?:laugh: what makes you sure that Apollo hasn't killed of innocent people?... How sure are we that no one is controlling apollo:okiedokieloki: who is the mastermind? The plot thickens.

33 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

Nonetheless, there are no doubt selfish individuals on board who will grumble and complain, however they are met with the insurmountable alternative that they could be left behind, returned to the wasteland, if they are not happy with their situation. Faced with the alternative of near certain death, few are vocal with their complaints.

Again a very cunning villain can use this for his advantage... And how sure are we that the villain is already controlling the leaders of the project? If they could get in why stop there? Hey cultist still exist here and rebels right? Few are vocal to their complaint.... But they exist... And how many? The plot thickens it gives me goosebumps....

37 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

You are, but secret agents can expect no special treatment, or everyone would know they were a secret agent.

Dang being a spy sucks.... James bond  gave me false news mage on being a spy:okiedokieloki:

38 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

Again, I disagree with this angle, that is not the world I wish to convey in this story. The story needs the conditions to be near idyllic on the Project so that few on board have any reason to help the rebels oust Apollo before damage is done. The arc of this story is for the rebels to take the unpopular route to ultimately succeed in the end, because they can't afford to wait for things to fall apart before acting.

Okay I'll play along. And I'm good I'm ready to reply whatever you got @Illiad Easle and @Windy Breeze

We are gonna have an awkward conversation mixed with comedy and laugh trip! 

@Kujamih

It is becoming clear that this discussion is less me explaining the situation in greater detail and more you trying to convince me to change the world to suit your idea of what should be going on. Remember that this is my world, and it follows my rules. Were this a RP between just you and I I would be more inclined to adjust the story to your interests, but there are five other players playing nine other characters, I need to keep things general enough that everyone can have a good time. I do not have the skill nor wherewithal to further complicate the narrative and still keep it engaging for everyone involved.

But to answer your responses in good faith:

3 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Then this will make it hard  to feed everyone, is my point here.

There is nothing there that will make it hard to feed everyone, the racial distribution does not change the Project's ability to provide for its residents, it was designed with all of their diets in mind. I even showed off the zones where livestock is raised on the project, I've mentioned the existence of a hatchery which can provide most of the protein needs of the carnivores. Case in point, there is no lack of food. There may not be the best variety, but everyone gets enough.

How sure are you

what makes you sure

I wrote it didn't I? know what's going to happen and why. may not tell you everything.

Is it hard to spread corruption. You know the saying " it's easier to be bad?"

Among humans yes, among ponies, Trojans, and changelings no. The dominant culture of the Project is cooperation, because to work together is far easier than to work against the rest.

And the proof that the removal is inaccurate is Apollo!

Not hardly, Apollo is the Captain of the Project. You can't oust the Captain without a good deal of evidence that they are unfit to lead, and Apollo has years of flawless performance as the Captain, and a decade of faithful service before the incident. His madness is a recent development.

Dang being a spy sucks.... James bond  gave me false news mage on being a spy

A Famous Spy is an oxymoron.

Responding to some of your other comments would talk to much about the future. To confirm or deny would remove the mystery.

• Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle

Yup it's your world...but that doesn't mean I can't try and influence you a bit,:oh_golly: you know us bronies... always wanting to influence:toldya:. and I'm just putting it out there... Who knows I might convince you to change your mind in some way I guess or change the course or path of the story? :toldya:

And of course you have the final say on things.

I'm just poking on stuff and seeing what happens.... BUT too much poking is bad... I will limit myself. Sorry I'll behave.... 

Can I poke at it again next week though:oh_golly:

I'm just actually digging some info... I am a secret agent after allB) secret agent from another dimension!

Maybe I should make sure I don't dig to much deep that I end up falling from the aether....:yeahno:

And dang you are one hard safe to crack.:okiedokieloki:

(edited)

@Illiad Easle oh and also I usually don't read on what's happening to the others so I can act and make me Light blind on what's happening to others(somewhat blind)... So that's also one reason I don't know about the agricultural development.... And farms ( we have farms in the aether!?)

I did cheat later on because I'm getting pumped and excited on what the hey is going on on this project and I want answers!! Ahmm sorry.

Ohhh I think I made a god mode @Illiad Easle is it okay? I did a little God moding with some changelings and event. I think it won't do any damage to everyones plot. I will edit it immediately if it's unacceptable.

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 1

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Could you give me an indication of which path you wanted to take? I gave you the option of going back upstairs to try and follow the cart, or take the pipeworks straight to the foundry. You're free to choose either or some permutation on that, but I need to know what you choose so I can give you a description of the path.

@Kujamih @Illiad Easle

I'm going to change Spiral's name into Spiral Star. Her color scheme is based off of various shades of red. I don't know what her cutie mark is, I'll consider her appearance in her application post to be non-canon / null. If any guesses I have, her cutie mark would be a flow of spiral magic flowing into a black star. Would you like to draw her, kujamih?

@Starforce

Per Spiral, to maximize interaction with the one I have in mind we'll put her as having been a student at Celestia's academy studying Starswirl about 200 years prior to the events of season 1. While there she met a earth pony guard stallion named Tower Shield who went missing after an expedition to the Mild West for magical relics from the ruins of Eponsilon.

That is all.

@Jack Baker

I apologize if I was unclear, but I've stated previously that my posts will be no more than daily and no less than weekly. That is to say that you have at least 6 full days to respond to my post before I will move on without you. I forgot to remind everyone yesterday, but that doesn't seem to have affected your part in the arc by much.

That said, real gutsy to go aggressive towards the mechanic. I know you don't know who she is, or how important she is, but it seems realistic given how you've acted before so I won't have you change it, I expected it in fact.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

That sounds pretty good. It will take her a while to discover that, if she is able to, she thinks it is discord currently. I don't have much to her character in mind honestly, other than that she was the one that went far in her research and perhaps the reason why Trixie was able to bring her back is since she preserved her soul in stasis, or something like that. You can suggest or incorporate more ideas if you wish.

1 minute ago, Jack Baker said:

@Illiad Easle 

If there's two things Raze hates, it's rudeness, and when someone messes with his friends.

Unfortunately for her, she's two for two. So yeah, he's pissed.

I had Maud just say the blatant obvious things, hehe. That's her humor for ya.

• 2 weeks later...

@Starforce @Jack Baker

There isn't anything wrong with your reactions, I just figured I'd offer some clarifications on the viewpoints as I feel I may not have properly explained things during the encounter.

From your perspective, given you could follow their auras to know they somehow got to the other side of the false wall, it seemed perfectly reasonable to try and break through the wall.

From the perspective of the guards, you reached a dead end and started swinging at the pipes, which put them on edge, but they trusted you mostly until a higher authority told them otherwise. They are currently conflicted, believing this is some sort of misunderstanding.

From the perspective of Chief Engineer Silver Studs Easle, after hearing some commotion in the pipeworks and alarms about damaged pipes, her precious pipes, she came to find four ponies she did not recognize potentially sabotaging the project, her project. Then to have some of those ponies threaten her? She's understandably pissed about that, and while she doesn't honestly believe that you're rebels, the fact remains that you damaged the project and threatened her life. Hence why she called for you to be arrested.

Hopefully that makes sense? I do try hard for the reactions to be reasonable on the part of the one doing the reacting.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle @Jack Baker

From Maud's point of view she sees Raze as un-needed aggressively acting towards the guards in this situation. But she doesn't trust those guards at all. She believes it is possible she is mislead, but also believes it is possible the others are mislead. She toofeels conflicted.