Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Technology in Equestria (replacement for magic?)

TBD

I know I'm late but one of the reason that gen 4 was good is because they had to struggle there was no easy answers. Myths and superstition are able to thrive as long as there is enough people or ponies that don't know the truth. Once the internet or being able to easily communicate with other's then problems of any kind becomes harder to make or last long. 

Edited by thenote23
  • Brohoof 1

I've got no problems with technology becoming more common-place in Equestria. Some technological marvels were already there when the series began yet a lot of these were featured as a means of progressing the story or because of the obvious product placement. I'd like to think that either Sunset or Twilight brought back other forms of technology from the human world just to see how other ponies would handle having them around.

It's really interesting! Considering with how it seems this generation takes place years, maybe even a few centuries after the events of FiM, it does make sense for technology to become more advanced in time. I mean, of course, there are going to be those 'technology is bad' individuals who think tech has nothing to do with anything, but if it does play a role in the story or actually shows how far the series has come or will go, then it's definitely not a bad thing at all.

Maybe some pony races are more advanced than others, OR maybe they need technology to be able to benefit their individual clans. We can't just jump to conclusions and assume it's going to be 'bad' or trying to 'market more towards phone obsessed freak children/teens'. That's just unfair because we don't exactly know for sure yet, plus, FiM did have technology as well, such as arcade games, cameras, a rotator phone, and even speakers and stuff. So.. it's not really out of place at all for an FiM continuation, and I guarantee it'll play a role to the story, such as maybe the Mane 5's worried family trying to get a hold of them on their adventure or something.

I'd really love to see what the world itself looks like though.

On 2021-04-10 at 3:26 AM, HedonismBot said:

Really now, pre-industrial fantasy worlds are a dime a dozen. The interaction of fantasy stuff with advancing science and technology has so much untapped potential (for what it's worth, that was one of the things that got me interested in Legend of Korra).

Plus G5 is supposed to take place far enough in the future that the Mane Six and their achievements are thought my mainstream Equestria to be some silly old myth.  One would expect to see a fair amount of technological progress in that time.

There was actually a statement from the G4 staff to the effect of "If you see something that looks unusually high-tech, assume it's powered by magic".

I had always thought that seeing more sophisticated examples of combining magic and technology (as with, say, Tank's propeller) would be more interesting than just having fancier real-world technology. Though there's no reason we can't have both.

While the technological progression in Legend of Korra was nice to see, it is one of the reasons for why people rate it lower than TLA. I think seeing a fantasy world without technology is just more interesting for viewers, since it allows the magical aspects or in the case bending to play a more central role.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I mean nanotechnology could be considered as a replacement for magic. Ponies who wouldn't know anything about the technology would certainly think they were doing magical miracles. Magic (nanotechnology) could be deactivated and reactivated at will and then do certain things when harmonised between the ponies that represent the elements of magic.

Edited by RDDash