Jump to content
Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Hasbro Is Considering Selling Off Discovery Family Channel


JMTV99

Recommended Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hasbro-mulls-possible-sale-of-discovery-family-channel-stake-1235088026/

 

Hasbro used to be 50/50 with Discovery when The Hub was launched in 2010. In 2014, Discovery owned 60% of the network, while Hasbro owned 40%. 

Fast forward to today, Hasbro is considered "evaluating" of selling off its 40% stake of Discovery Family.

For me, it has been a long time coming. With WarnerMedia merging with Discovery pretty soon, I think it's a good time for Hasbro to pack up.

What do you guys think? What's gonna happened to Discovery Family? Could they be shutting down soon? Or they remained the same without the Hasbro shows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering how Discovery Family basically went on autopilot since its rebranding from The Hub and FIM is more than two years from its series finale, I won't be surprise if Hasbro decides to sell their share.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

They put G5 on Netflix, Pony Life is over, and Friendship is Magic has been over for over two years. Throw in that obligatory "cable is dead" comment, and anyone can see that this move makes perfect sense. 

Never mind being paywalled in overpriced high tier packages in those services :scoots:

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hasbro-mulls-possible-sale-of-discovery-family-channel-stake-1235088026/

 

Hasbro used to be 50/50 with Discovery when The Hub was launched in 2010. In 2014, Discovery owned 60% of the network, while Hasbro owned 40%. 

Fast forward to today, Hasbro is considered "evaluating" of selling off its 40% stake of Discovery Family.

For me, it has been a long time coming. With WarnerMedia merging with Discovery pretty soon, I think it's a good time for Hasbro to pack up.

What do you guys think? What's gonna happened to Discovery Family? Could they be shutting down soon? Or they remained the same without the Hasbro shows?

Won't surprise me if they do sell their share.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hasbro-mulls-possible-sale-of-discovery-family-channel-stake-1235088026/

 

Hasbro used to be 50/50 with Discovery when The Hub was launched in 2010. In 2014, Discovery owned 60% of the network, while Hasbro owned 40%. 

Fast forward to today, Hasbro is considered "evaluating" of selling off its 40% stake of Discovery Family.

For me, it has been a long time coming. With WarnerMedia merging with Discovery pretty soon, I think it's a good time for Hasbro to pack up.

What do you guys think? What's gonna happened to Discovery Family? Could they be shutting down soon? Or they remained the same without the Hasbro shows?

 

Where would Hasbro giving up their stake leave Friendship is Magic and Equestria Girls as far as streaming and TV is concerned?  

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is not the first time Hasbro makes bad decisions. The first one was cancelling their game console Nemo in the 1980s.

 

I misread the tile as "Selling to Disney". Thank god that wasn't the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's fair enough though. Traditional channels are dying in favour of on-demand internet streaming, and there is a point where you are better off selling up while the market is still boyant enough to have buyers, rather than waiting for the inevitable decline in value to make those holdings worthless

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

 

Where would Hasbro giving up their stake leave Friendship is Magic and Equestria Girls as far as streaming and TV is concerned?  

I have no idea. Your guess as good as mine.

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

It is not the first time Hasbro makes bad decisions. The first one was cancelling their game console Nemo in the 1980s.

I've never heard of it.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised they haven't already done this. Seems they gave up completely on contributing their own new content after Pony Life and Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy ended. The channel just doesn't seem viable nowadays.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing that they didn't put much effort in.

"Hasbro + now coming in November!" I can see happening, gotta get the big money's on the new scam called steaming.

On a different note, I can't wait for discovery to go down hill after the mer-oh wait.

Edited by TheGleaner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only things keeping it relevant(FIM and Rescue Bots) has been over for a while now and Hasbro’s been looking for other venues(Streaming and other networks like CN and Nick). I think they’re better off selling 

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...