Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E17 - Queens for a Day

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Queens for a Day
Release Date: July 7, 2022
Written By: Eric Branscum
Synopsis: The royal sisters and their friends spend the day taking on Queen Haven's duties.

• Brohoof 4

I really enjoyed this episode! Another heartwarming episode about Zipp and Pipp and Queen Haven finally got an episode about her too.

Even with five of them, the duties of a queen can still be a handful, but Zipp and Pipp appreciate everything their mother does to keep them safe.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly this is probably a tired trope of an idea, BUT it was executed quite well! The humor was on point (Sunny crying with that "just go on without us" line was amazing) and the message, while predictable, was a good one. As usual; the sisters were the standout. <3

• Brohoof 4

Queen Haven having a massive amount of royal duties to perform and being unable to keep up with them isn't anything new. This idea has been done many times in other media (Including FiM through the last issue of the Micro Series) but here I feel it felt like a fresh experience. Each of the Mane Five struggled with dealing with Haven's workload but they were able to learn something from it and can appreciate what it means to have obligations. Plus, Haven comes off as very kind in comparison to how she was portrayed in the G5 movie.

The humour was hilarious especially when Zipp and Pipp react to how many messages with royal instructions came their way. 

• Brohoof 5

Good take on a done-to-death idea, I was honestly enjoying every part. It's also funny how their version of Independence Day is celebrating a monarch. :ButtercupLaugh:I loved Izzy's "It just keeps going and going..." line and the running gag with Pipp taking a picture in a photo she was in. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well that was cute and fun! Reminiscent of Between Dusk and Dawn, too.

Lot of fun interactions and mishaps, and always appreciate seeing more Thunder and Zoom.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 2

They did do a good job with this one; the more G-5 goes on, the more hope there seems to be!

Also:  Izzy wasn't an inconsistently characterized sociopath with no concept of boundaries or respect for other ponies' property in this one!  ...Probably because none of the jokes required her to be, but I'll still take it!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Make Your Mark spoilers

Spoiler

Still no sighting or mention of the Make Your Mark dragon in Tell Your Tale, thank goodness. I'm starting to think the dragon is exclusive

to Make Your Mark. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

It's nice to see how even though Zipp had her little issues with her mom, that they aren't affecting her enough to not want to help her mom. I'm glad that the sisters are very caring towards Queen Haven and that Queen Haven is the same towards them. Usually in media, the queen is overly strict or the princesses are overly rebellious, so it's nice to see a royal family where they can both get along well and still have their flaws every now and then.

I have always wondered about the king, though. Did he pass on like Sunny's father, did he get thrown out...is he the father?! Nah, probably not, not only would that be way too scandalous for Queen Haven to be with an earth pony at the time, Pipp and Zipp share no resemblance to Argyle.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I have always wondered about the king, though. Did he pass on like Sunny's father, did he get thrown out...is he the father?! Nah, probably not, not only would that be way too scandalous for Queen Haven to be with an earth pony at the time, Pipp and Zipp share no resemblance to Argyle.

KIDS SHOW! KIDS SHOW! KIDS SHOW! :blink:/:P

Unless...:ooh:  Argyle, image.gif.db988b5460e3e0b3f2d4b1a8250055e1.gif :orly:

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

Heh, Argyle. When it comes to speculations about what happened to the king, the other guy with the name beginning in "A" and ending with "le" fits the bill better. Alphabittle and Haven bicker like a married couple in the movie, after all. :ooh:

I'm only joking, there's no way Haven had a relationship with a pony that wasn't a pegasus. I'm pretty sure Haven's husband passed on like Argyle. Or, considering Haven's normally less likable personality, they got divorced. :muffins: Since there's so much focus on Pipp and Zipp in this show, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff have already come up with their own explanation. 

• Brohoof 3

This episode is an example of a good concept that doesn't have enough screen time to make it fully work without feeling rushed. Only having five minute episodes can really hurt this series because of this. However, while this episode doesn't stack up to most other animated media, for TYT's low standards it is one of the better ones. While it's a very common concept, it fits the scenario set up in the series. Plus, it allows some character development, albeit little, for the royal family. Plus, it is nice to have an episode take place in Zephyr Heights.

Overall, the episode has some aspects and scenes that work, but it still is strongly hindered by its short runtime. 

It was a nice episode, more character development for the royal family. I think the humor was on point, the callback with the scissors and the ribbon was great, they should have done what Luna did :ButtercupLaugh:.

• Brohoof 1

Great episode. I still wish they were longer but they manage to cram a lot of good stuff into these.

Okay so what the hoof happened to Hitch that he was in all those casts? And did a picture flash by before that where he was trying to cut the ribbon with a lightsaber??? Is that how he got injured?

• Brohoof 1

Once again, this is a solid enough episode.  It's still not the one to change my mind about this series, but I'll take it.  The latest episodes have all been at least alright, and I'm content with that for now.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally they showed a monarch doing something! Haven has a really busy job and it shows, and I am glad they actually make use of the phones for useful things, which is interesting. Haven sure is a busy mare, which is why she's my favorite!