Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S02:E03 - Portrait of a Princess

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Portrait of a Princess
Release Date: September 26, 2022
Written By: Janae Hall
Synopsis: With Pipp and Zipp focused on Royal Portrait Day, Opaline sends Misty on an evil errand to lure the two sisters into a trap.

NOTE: Episode is only available on NetFlix for the foreseeable future. Please keep that in mind!

I think I have a new ringtone song! Amazing! Yes, I loved their interactions, both the building aggression and the eventual reconciliation. I also really love the motherly love the Queen exudes for them both, like in that regard she is not the least bit shallow but actually quite deep.

• Brohoof 1

That episode was STELLAR! The sisters made the episode, Haven & Sunny were the comedic foundation, and Misty being cute as usual! LOVED IT!

• Brohoof 3

I'm not even a Pippsqueak or a Zippster and this episode RULED. I've been a sucker for princesses going at it with each other since Friendship is Magic's A Royal Problem, and not only was this episode incredibly fun for more than just that, it was also incredibly heartwarming. Seeing Haven sing was interesting, but then seeing Zipp sing with Pipp...that moment was beautiful:BrightMacContent:

• Brohoof 3

A pretty good episode, exploring the sister relations. The songs were good, and the villains did something for the first time. Ended with a suggestion that Opaline has changeling powers...

I think it was a little out of character for Zipp though. She should have been a bit more cautious, and not go straight into a trap without thinking who sent them these messages and why. Especially the petal trail was something that should have incited some doubt in her.

Edited by PawelS
  • Brohoof 1

It made me appreciate Pipp a little bit more, even though I am not a fan of hers, she does certainly have her redeeming traits. The idea of ponies with phones is just not something I can get around to, at least not yet, but in this episode it definitely was a bit better. Seeing Haven sing was quite nice to see, to be honest. Misty failing definitely fits the 'Lackey who always fails' sort of trait. Zipp definitely is the most relatable character to me, and I found Pipp's POV in the episode to be entirely nonsensical and illogical but it didn't break the immersion for me. I really liked this episode to be honest. 

I hope they make Pipp more than a Social Media pony.

I finally saw the third episode!  I think this one is even better than the last, and that one got as close as a glowing review as I can give for this series.  I'm still holding out for a 10/10 or even a 9/10...or 8/10?  I don't think we're getting that with this series though, so I'll take what we can get.  I like the sister dynamic, and they are my top two Mane Five ponies, so I'm glad we got an episode about them.  I like that their personalities clash, but they come together in the end.  I like that we got a largely musical episode, and the songs aren't overly cringe for a change.  No Sparky or forced quirky Hitch or Izzy?  Heck yeah!  Bland horse is here, but one good thing about her is she can be adapted to fit any plot, so she works here, and although she's bland, she's not annoying.  Queen Haven is good in this episode too.

Of course, the episode isn't without its problems.  I'm glad Misty actually did something for a change, but I legit thought the flower would be cursed or something.  Sure, she got the sisters trapped in a cave, but then she didn't think of a plan for what to do with them afterwards?  I'm looking forward to seeing what Opaline does, so there's that. 

Zipp should have been far more critical of a random photo, especially since she fancies herself a detective.  She's still the only pony who seems to care about things one would think would be of concern to the entire Mane cast, hence proving why she's the best pony in this series, but even she can be a bit dense sometimes, to the point where I can't help but think the world they're in is screwed.

As for Pipp, of course her annoying switch had to be toggled, and she was more concerned with her social media profile than anything.  On one hand, her annoying side irks me far less than Izzy's and Hitch's, and the sister dynamic as a whole is probably the best developed of all character relations in this series, but this episode lays it on too thick for me.  With that said, it did pay off in the end as it lead to a good sister moment, so I can't be too annoyed about it.  

All in all, while far from perfect, I think this is as close as it gets with this series.  Hopefully future episodes will keep this momentum going.  

I know it's a tiny detail, but I am still a little confused by the lyrics "don't blink" in the song. I'm guessing that it refers to how you don't always need to wait for challenging moments to pass so quickly.

Still, I really enjoyed the song.

For some reason and because of this episode, my dislike for Pipp just skyrocketed. She's a phone addict, and I hate that kind of personality. I find her a very bad example for kids.

Spoiler

Even if almost everything in the plot was Zipp's fault, I didn't dislike her like the younger sister. Probably because I feel more related with her lol.

Edited by Orchid_Fiore

When Queen Haven says, "I haven't had a chance to check out the new place yet."

It sounds like she says, "I haven't had a chance to check out the new playset."

This episode was actually pretty good. I thought it was funny the way Sunny tried to prevent Queen Haven from finding out where the Princess sisters went. I also liked how we found out a bit more about the Princesses from Queen Haven and we got to see how their personalities conflict with each other, but they are able to work past that and make amends with each other. And the villains finally did something instead of all this spying on the return of magic and such.