Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do You Think of the Concept of Shows having Generations?

Gaines

As in new generations with entirely new characters, in an alternate universe, and/or with existing characters being aged up/down, maybe all in a new art style, etc etc
Because while MLP continues their gen trend, I realized not every show does that. :huh: What do you think about it?

• Brohoof 2

I think it is nice to further the series. Like we further our own existance by producing further generations. It is a neccesary process, which can spawn little monsters like generation 3.5, was it? But it can also result in living miracles of hope and renewal like with FiM. The Golden Age.

What I will say, however, is that they should have waited a bit longer before producing the next generation. If you give too much to people. You will spoil them. They will become greedy, and unappreciative. You have to starve them out, a little. Play just enough with their hunger. Tease them playfully. You know it works, because daddy knows best. But, no. They went ahead with yet another generation, so soon after FiM. But who knows, really. Perhaps they are correct, and I am mistaken here.

Either way, don't be afraid of rolling the dice for another chance. My loss is your gain. And I would lose it all for you. God, I love you so much. If you knew how much I truly love you all. But yes. As long as change the formula a bit. For example, there was an episode called garbage diving, or something like that. You see? I don't think that this would have ever been an episode's name we could find in FiM. Ah, we were inoccent once.

The thing is, the night is as neccesary as the day. So, do not wish for the sunlight to last eternal or you will burn like myself. In other words - do not keep things alive beyond their lifespan.

You have to... let go.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

MLP Generations were tied to the MLP toy line until the Bronies made the "G4" a buzzword.

But for other shows, I purely dislike them having "reboots", such as TMNT or He-Man, where they just reuse the plot but change the characters to fit the toy line.

Why do we watch a show? Do we watch it because we like seeing anticipated plots, or do we want to see completely new stories with new characters? With MLP, we aren't completely sure yet (G5 is doing weird connections with G4). I think we need a G6 to understand what generations mean to a show.

I predict that MLP G6 will be a reboot of G4, with all the characters in 3D. And by then, I will dislike "Generations" since that would just mean a "reboot".

• Brohoof 1

Overall, I'm not opposed to shows having generations nor do I strongly dislike it generally speaking. With that said, there are wrong ways to making another generation for a show. How well a generation turns out to be relies on how well the development of that generation is rather than whether generations in shows in general are good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind it as long as they're not linked to any past incarnations. Judging from the show's I've seen the only time it's worked is with Beast Wars

If a series starts with certain characters, and has prequels or sequels with new characters directly related to them, I’m fine with it if done correctly. For example, Star Wars has three trilogies dealing with different generations, and that idea works. Sadly, Disney chose to disconnect the importance of George Lucas’ established storylines, replacing them with their own pathetic inventions and loosely calling them related. That's not how it's supposed to work. 

But as a rule, I have no problem with a multi-gen story if that’s the established template to begin with, and not just a way to replace an aging cast with a younger one. I don’t like movies or shows that dispense with beloved characters because of their age, and replace them with younger ones no one cares about. Nopony ever cared about seeing Indiana Jones Jr, James Bond Jr, John McClane Jr. It’s never worked and never will because that was never the design of these series to begin with.

Generational series like MLP have always been separated from each other, so when they choose to start from scratch, like MLP G5, there’s no conflict. G5 has little to do with G4, so it doesn’t step on the hoofs of previous characters. It has to rely on its own merits, and that’s fine with me.

• Brohoof 1