Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you be a bestperson/person of honor/bestman/maid of honor for a friend you are no longer that close to?

Miss

Basically, if there someone you use to be really close with enough that they would want you to be their bestman, bridesmaid, person of honor, maid of honor, etc. but yall havent seen each other in a long time. 

It's been a year since you last saw them? More than a year? 3 years? Etc. amount of time you want to use. 

They are accessible to you but they havent made the time or effort to see you. And now they want you to take this honorable position in their life. 

(not even because they are long distance but even then yall could still talk on the phone or something)

Would you do it? Would you do it and not bring up the distance between the two of you? Would you bring it up? Would you just say no? 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I have a question of my own, why would a former/previously close friend ask me to do something like that? 

Come up with your own reasoning for why they would do so and answer it

Unless that is your answer that you would ask them "why are you asking ME to be the one?" 

Edited by Miss
  • Brohoof 3

There's a lot of variables to consider with such a question...

If it's just a matter of not staying in contact for a while, and if I can schedule the free time for it, then sure! Why not? We haven't had any bad blood between us. I'd like to hope that if we left on a positive note, then we can reconnect on a positive note too. But just as importantly, I'd hope there would be time for the two of us to talk and reconnect before the big event. I'd consider is very suspicious if this was somehow last minute and there's no time to prepare or have pleasantries; just grab a suit and go.

On the other hand, if we grew distance because of bad terms or bad experiences together, I'd probably decline. Life has taught me that if things have gone bad with someone before, it'll probably go bad again if you continue to hang out with them. Things don't get better just because they reached out to you out of the blue one day. Takes a lot of prove a terrible person/influence has changed for the better.

I'm not saying there is a right or wrong answer when it comes to just being absent from someone's life for an extended amount of time. It really depends on the person, and also on you.
How much of a big deal are you going to make out of it, and why does it matter so much to you? These are questions that need to be answered.
If someone promised that they'd be in touch or be a constant in my life, I might be a little upset that they broke their promise. If the person in question is family, I can also understand wanting to remain distant. Family is suppose to be close; you don't just ghost a family member unless there was a very good reason.
But for me personally, when it comes to friends and acquaintances, I don't make a big deal about it. We all have lives to live. It can take us places, make us see what is most important, make us accidentally grow distant from people sometimes. There is no shame in living your life to the fullest and finding what you want. The only shame might be completely forgetting everyone that was ever in your life. And if you feel the need to reach out, I'd assume late is better than never. (But again, that's my personal perspective. Any difference of opinion is perfectly valid.)

• Brohoof 1

A role like that is a big deal, so I would definitely bring up the distance. It's one of those things that I don't think I could just brush off.

Depending on that, I would probably accept the role. I think I'd look at it as an opportunity to rekindle our friendship.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Miss said:

Unless that is your answer that you would ask them "why are you asking ME to be the one?" 

I think "Why are you asking ME to be one?" is my answer. Sorry for the confusion. :twismile:

• Brohoof 1

The one friend that I used to be rather close to actually did get married sometime around 2010, but I was never invited to the wedding at the request of his bride-to-be. I never was told why this was though I do have my suspicions which makes me think poorly of my mannerisms back then.

I would honestly say yes. If they still think we’re that close, I bet he/she would wanna get closer in the future so that’s kinda like reforming a friendship that could be legendary

I would politely decline because of anxiety reasons and not knowing why they'd pick me even though we hadn't spoken to each other in a long while.

I would prefer to get up to speed with them during some other time and not when they're having an important day that can't go wrong.

• 1 month later...