Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something that's been bothering me...

Sean Skyhawk

I have not been able to find this anywhere, so let me address this topic:

Erypony keeps referring to the writing material used in the MLP franchise as parchment (at least from Canterlot), NOT paper. I don't know what they used for the newspapers in "Ponyville Confidential" (bulk pulp?) but suffice it to say that at least for finer applications such as in books, scrolls, and religious texts, they use parchment as a material.

My point?

Has anyone ever honestly taken into account the fact that parchment is made out of animal skin?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I suppose that's why they don't have cemeteries in the ponyverse... leave nothing to waste it seems.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah. You read "Parchment Factory"? Little unicorns who fail their magic test get to be Celestia's own personal parchment!

...damn now I gotta write that.

• Brohoof 10

Speaking of which, I wonder if they use glue. Glue is made from horses.

Posted Image

EARTH PONIES WHO DON'T BUCK ENOUGH APPLES ARE TURNED INTO GLUE

GLUE FACTORY!

...I have to write two spinoffs now. ARGHHHHHHH-

(edited)

I just searched for this... :blink:

I must write it now! I MUST NOT DISAPPOINT *twitchtwitch* ;_; Edited by PinkieDaShy

So it appears to be true but in the sense of the word, I suppose that they are referring simply to it's application as a scroll. Without the implication of where the material comes from.

There is also a cellulose-based plant parchment that doesn't use animal hide.

Yep, Strife is correct. Parchment can be made from cotton and a certain tree (think it was fir). Doesn't have to come from an animal. :)

• Brohoof 1

Yep, Strife is correct. Parchment can be made from cotton and a certain tree (think it was fir). Doesn't have to come from an animal. :)

okey *phew* at least we now have an alternative ^_^

Oh thank Celestia, I was gonna have nightmares... :blink:

So that's why I didn't see any calf during the cow stampede... just old lady cows it seemed :huh:

Though I guess it makes more sense to give them plant based parchment :P

I'm not bothered by the use of parchment even with the knowledge that it is made from animal skin. Likely it comes from the cows that they obviously keep on their farms (refer to Applebuck season). I don't necessarily think that ponies themselves go into the process of making parchment.

That being said. It could just be normal paper that is made to look like parchment. You can do that ya know. It looks much fancier and official that way. So I can see why the practice would be used for important documents, and not for something like newspapers.

I doubt the ponies skin animals in order to produce goods. Not only are they generally very friendly to the natural environment, but other animals tend to be sapient even if they are "lesser" creatures on the whole, e.g., cows.

(edited)

They never once called it parchment in the actual show. Scroll does not equal parchment. A scroll is a roll of papyrus, parchment, or paper which has been written, drawn or painted upon for the purpose of transmitting information or using as a decoration. Having said that...

Posted Image

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

So that's why I didn't see any calf during the cow stampede... just old lady cows it seemed :huh:

Also note that we yet to see any male cows.

post-59-0-53825900-1339489810_thumb.jpg Iron Will knows where to get his lovin' at!

They never once called it parchment in the actual show.

Something about that statement doesn't seem quite right. :huh:

http://pwny.at/ib

(edited)

Shows are designed to appeal to a specific audience

In this case

Little kids watch it and enjoy it

Bronies over analyse everything and nit pick everything make memes friendships.

The way i'm convince it goes is that writers will purposefuly put mistake/plotholes in to make bronies talk.

(I'm onto you Faust)

Edited by Lostwanderer

I think parchment is nearly synonymous with paper. And anyway, as Strife said parchment isn't always made of animal hide.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they use glue. Glue is made from horses.

Posted Image

That picture is very mesmerising.

Also note that we yet to see any male cows.

post-59-0-53825900-1339489810_thumb.jpg Iron Will knows where to get his lovin' at!

Something about that statement doesn't seem quite right. :huh:

http://pwny.at/ib

I didn't remember that, but parchment is also made out of papyrus and other plant fibers. Despite my comic scroll I posted, why would a society of vegetarians make things out of animal skins?

I didn't remember that, but parchment is also made out of papyrus and other plant fibers. Despite my comic scroll I posted, why would a society of vegetarians make things out of animal skins?

Oh I was never saying that they made it out of animal hide, simply that they did in fact call it parchment in the series. As it was established above in other posts that there are type of parchment that can be made out of plant-based materials.