Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a romantic history between Celestia and Discord?

My little pwny

What if a long time ago Celestia and Discord were lovers? I could imagine Discord being a regular Alicorn being in love with Celestia back then. Perhaps once discord became obsessed with disharmony, Celestia had to change his form to what it is now, and turn him into stone with the elements of harmony. Since Celestia was so much in love with Discord, it broke her up inside to lose him to insanity. That's why she never got in another relationship.

What do you think of this theory?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Discord is a Draconequus, not Alicorn.

And the theory is generally bad, if they would have any romance we would have known it by the end of part 2.

But hey, thats just what i think.

Edited by Vicke

I think Discord was a good old guy who ruled Equestria peacefully and then Celestia decided to turn him into stone and take over for teh lulz, and now she just tells everyone he was bad.

As for why he came back causing chaos, you probably would snap trapped in stone for thousands of years too.

• Brohoof 6

And the theory is generally bad, if they would have any romance we would have known it by the end of part 2.

But hey, thats just what i think.

Nah. If you want to talk about a show that doesn't really have canon ships other than the completely obvious, it's this one.

I've seen some good comics on the subject, but I don't think they'd have this as canon.

I approve of this thread. :3 But, I don't think It's very likely... Most likely, they were always enemies. But these fanfictions and fan art can really get to you. :P

Well, both of them like to troll ponies, so I could see it work... Just kiddin'. Interesting idea though.

Actually, this theory may not be far-fetched at all. With de Lancie voicing in season three, we might be in for quite the surprise with the episode possibly focusing more on Celestia and Discord's history with each other rather than the Mane 6.

Though, I'm not really in tune with Dislestia; the idea of Celestia being shipped with another being (pony, alicorn, griffon leader, etc) is quite fascinating, however.

In all honesty, Discord's reign doesn't exactly sound too bad. However, the way he manipulates and warps the ponies' personalities around is quite the bout of chaotic evil rather than just pure chaos. It's a form of tyranny altogether from Celestia's viewpoint, and if Discord is really out to conquer Equestria, what would it feel like for him personally ruling for say, a few hundreds of years?

(edited)

It's fun to think the antagonism between Discord and Celestia could be the result of a centuries-old lover's quarrel, but the way Celestia described Discord's reign and how she and Luna overthrew him doesn't lead me to believe they were close enough for romance.

Then again, as mentioned above, with de Lancie returning in Season Three, anything is possible.

Who knows? Maybe he will turn over a new leaf and try to gain control over Equestria through the tender shackles of marriage. :blink:

P.S. Pinkie x Discord is definitely the One True Pairing.

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 2

I honestly find it hard to believe, the truth is Discord used to rule Equestria and cause chaos, then Celestia and Luna used the elements of harmony to turn him to stone and they took over. Nothing more.

• 11 months later...
(edited)

I'd like to think of it being more of a love/hate relationship. One with a mutual understanding yet aggravating interdependence on one another..

But then I'm still curious as to WHAT special purpose Celestia needed him for ;)

Edited by Argumedies

I used to entertain that idea, but I've since abandoned the notion that Discord may have been good once. I don't even think good and evil apply to him at all.

Besides, Celestia was probably a teenager when they fought, and he's probably been around since the dawn of forever, being the avatar of chaos and what not.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think there was. I think they were childhood friends but celestia did something to hurt discord by mistake and he went crazy and wanted celestia to see what it was like to be him so he started to mess the world and she used the elements of harmony hoping they would help him but instead they turned him to stone and so that also explains why then she wanted the main 6 to "reform" him in season 3

I think there was. I think they were childhood friends but celestia did something to hurt discord by mistake and he went crazy and wanted celestia to see what it was like to be him so he started to mess the world and she used the elements of harmony hoping they would help him but instead they turned him to stone and so that also explains why then she wanted the main 6 to "reform" him in season 3

Also I think he was always the way he is now and was never a pony

Edited by Dislestia fan

That's not really the case. Discord was probably around when Celestia and Luna were teenagers, and they had to battle him a lot. My guess is, that Celestia would go to any means necessary to stop Discord.

Yeah I don't see the sense in shipping in general and for some reason I've never bonded with Discord. Bronies reference him in all kinds of contexts, which I've never really understood. I just never think of him interacting with the ponies on a regular basis. I almost see him as something that happens (like a bad storm) rather than something consistent like the seasons. Maybe it's because I don't like his redemption episode. I don't know.

I watched a headcanon somewhere that gave a good theory to their background... Ink Rose

She reckons that there was a big war between Alicorns and Draconequus...Draconequui?  IDK

anyway after the war, Celestia and Luna (as fillies) and Discord (as a baby Draconequus) traveled together to find their parents...

Then when Celestia and Luna became the princesses, they neglected Discord and he discovered his fate, a chaos bringer...

may not be canon but i think it's a nice story :P

I'd like to think that they had been best friends once upon a time.  Discord though, as they grew up, began to like her more than that.

Eventually, there's this whole thing and Celestia makes a mistake and in anger calls him a monster which everypony else -gasp- had called him up to that point so he gets really upset and storms off and -another gasp- they never see each other again until he takes over Equestria and throws her from the throne.

See my blog about it! :D But with pictures.

http://ask-dizzyshy.tumblr.com/

I'm the middle of telling this very story!

(shameless self-promoting)

I believe we are headed into head canon territory here, but I don't think the did. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to see them in a relationship with each other like that. But maybe somepony else... Somepony on the other side of the celestial spectrum...

Discord probably just sees her as his opposite, a being of Order and (by his standards) no humour at all.

I could almost picture the time Discord ruled the land and he was starting to grow bored of it, the more or less out of nowhere a challenger arrives and defeats him. Sure he'll have been pissed after the first few centuries but it probably changed his out look from wanting to rule (because it makes a person boring and humourless) to just causing chaos for the sake of chaos.