Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Romantic partner or business partner?

Biggybrony

Partner?  

46 users have voted

1. 1. When someone introduces someone to you as their 'partner' what do you assume they mean?

• Romantic Partner
    • Business/work Partner
    • Partner in crime/hobby/sports
    • a timber framework secured to and strengthening the deck of a wooden ship around a hole for a mast

So folks, if somebody introduces some to you as their 'partner' what do you immediately assume they mean? I honestly want to know what the majority of people think because I immediately think of a business or work partner and have introduced other people as such which has led to very many misunderstandings and assumptions about my romantic statuses. When I think someone is about to introduce me to a romantic partner I just naturally expect them to say 'boyfriend' or 'girlfriend'.

You guys?

Edited by Biggybrony
  • Brohoof 2

I always assume that it means romantic. I'm used to hearing people refer to their friends as 'friend' and coworkers as 'coworker' so hearing someone refer to someone by using the word 'partner' in a non-romantic way confuses me.

• Brohoof 1

It usually depends on the situation, but when I hear partner on just its own, I first think of partner in crime. Especially if it relates to the police or the military. Since I'm used to hearing partner as a term in police/military/etc. stuff, I always find it strange when somebody calls their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/etc. their partner.

Unless they say something like "boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband" or whatever I'm not likely to ever think they're talking romantically. I know some people refer to it as "partner" to be sensitive or something but the term has never meant romantic involvement to me. Ever. Partner in crime, business partner, or even just a really good friend. All of these are acceptable uses of the word and often far more common.

Whenever I hear the word "partner" I assume it means a romantic partner. I’d rather have a committed romantic partner than a business partner.

• 3 years later...

I'd assume they're talking about a romantic partner, unless the context makes it clear they're not. :muffins: Why? I guess it's because I'm more used to hearing people talk about relationships than business matters. :please:

• Brohoof 4

I generally assume that someone is referring to a romantic partner when they use the term, as it seems common to associate the two with one another.

Automatically, I would think they mean acquaintance.

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 1:55 AM, Sherbert MGS said:

I prefer partners in the romantic sense

Yea, who doesn't?

But I still assume people mean business partner when they say "partner". :umad:

• Brohoof 1

I would base my assumptions on the context and who is involved. If it looked like an affectionate man and woman I'd assume romance. Business attire and a professional demeanor would indicate business. Simple enough. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

The context is important, normally I'd assume a business partner simply as to me that's usually what partner refers to. However if I were somewhere else then probably I'd assume romantic again the context to it. Still typically yeah business partner unless it was at say a party or something.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...