Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

9/11: How Would You React?

(edited)

Everybody knows what happened on September 11th, 2001. Aside from the Pearl Harbor attacks more than fifty years prior, this was the only time that America was attacked in its territory. I've always been fascinated with the events of that day, how fellow man could do that to itself. After thinking it over, I realized my knowledge of 9/11 was really limited to basic facts. I wanted to know what had occurred inside the towers.

I picked up a book called "120 Minutes" on my iPad and began reading it. Not only does the book provide insight, it's a fundamentally different experience than watching a documentary or footage of the explosions. You're actually INSIDE the tower, amongst those every-day workers, unaware of what had occurred. It dawned on me as I read this book that these people had no idea what had happened, and because of the 1993 bombings (where they'd been safer staying put rather than trying to leave), they remained in their offices. The way this novel was written really puts you in the shoes of the workers, the firefighters, and pedestrians witnessing the attacks with a front-row seat.

My question to you is: how would you react in this situation, where you have minimal knowledge of what has happened? In the North Tower, there were hundreds of people above the impact zone, primarily at Windows on the World. What would you do when you can't breathe? Would you jump, would you unrelentingly try to escape, or what? If you're in the South Tower, not knowing what to do with mixed emotions: should I stay or should I leave? If your airliner has been hijacked, would you do what the passengers of United 93 did and take over?

Edited by Dylan

Honestly, I really don't know. This will always be a tough subject matter for exactly the reasons you gave. To get past the documentary aspect and wonder what the average person went through. I remember watching them fall on live TV....it was surreal. It's the type of thing that when I think about it, I still get knots in my stomach.

So I guess my answer is I don't know how I would react.

• Brohoof 6

Realistically? I'd probably scream and run around in circles.

I remember hearing an anecdote someone told where they were watching the 9/11 attack on the news in their classroom, when all of a sudden the power went out. Everyone panicked and freaked out, since they all thought they were all gonna die.

Don't you mean... 2001?

If I was there when everything happened, I would only have two things in mind, "Panic like there's a burning scalpel in my groin" and "tell mom I love her"

But honestly, I doubt I could even think straight when a metal bird slammed into the building I currently stood in

I really don't know exactly what I would do, i would probably panic and hope that things would be ok,

honestly its difficult to know what its like to be in that kind of situation. I guess i would do what was best

for the moment, jumping would probably be better than getting burned to death but still that is scary to think what

it would be like to do that.

I actually live in New York, Long Island to be more specific, so the attacks happened less than 2 hours away from us

so the whole terrorism scare was pretty scary since we were close to it, plus at the time i was only in the 2nd grade,

about 7 years old.

(edited)

How would I react if the building I was in had just been struck by a massive projectile carrying living beings? If you gave me more time to think about it, I might just accept that my time had come. Realistically, in that moment of pure horror, I would most likely just die. Preferably, I'd do my best to help as many people as I could. Honestly, in situations like those, where you don't know if you'll live or die, I'd like to think my natural instinct would be to do something honorable in my last moments. I might scream and panic. No, I'd definitely scream and panic. But I know myself, and, most likely, I'd do everything in my power to make sure at least someone lived. Even if it was Craig from Accounting, I'd do my best to make sure he'd be home to see his wife and children... No matter how much of a douche-bag Craig from Accounting may be. It's an instinct that kicks in when dire situations take place. In the moment, something just sweeps over you and you do your best to flow with it. Unless, of course, you've been trained to handle situations like those... most likely you haven't. 9/11 was truly a horrific day. My friend's father lost an age-long friend of his because he was early to a meeting. It still surprises me to this day hearing how far the attack's influence reached families all over America. Hopefully, the world comes to its senses and something so tragic never happens again. Looking at our current 'nuclear deterrence' issue, I suspect we shall just have to wait and see.

Side note: Ninja'd It was 2001.

Edited by Guest

I would have to mirror those answers above me. A person can speculate all they want. You might get one guy who is all noble says I would save others and in the situation they may folds and run

You may have another who thinks they would panic, and something might happen and they suddenly are found to have saved 200 lives

I cannot answer. I would like to think that my military disaster training and paramedic skills would have me climbing stairs to save people but I may turn selfish and just want to see my wife again and run

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't expect a reaction from me. Such an event just shocks people to the point of silence.

My dad was able to witness the second plane come in. He said his reaction was basically him shocked to silence and as one may expect, complete fear that more planes would come down.

Well, fuck.

Lets go get an army to kill terrorists.

Also, I hate 9/11 jokes.

Most of them just crash and burn. XD

Very insightful. Now run along and leave the grown-up topics to be discussed by more grown-up people.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Very insightful. Now run along and leave the grown-up topics to be discussed by more grown-up people.

Hey, I can have fun if I want to.

Tragic Events + Time = comedy. It's just a little joke.

I'm just bringing some comedy relief to a dark topic.

Good day, sir.

Edited by VioletLinked

(edited)

Good day, sir.

Comedy < Senseless mockery.

People's deaths are nothing to be made fun of.

Edited by ScottishUnicorn
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

well in good old england its 11/9

but i'd probaly just sit down and process whats going on then change the channel, but thats just a copeing mecanism

i agree 100% alltho laughter is a coping mechanism but making a joke out of somehthing as horrable as 9/11 is dis respect full

also why are we bringing 9/11, i know we should never forget but this is like reliving a bad memory i was 10 when it happened and i was fully aware what was going on. its been 10 years now the basterd mastermind face behind it who shall never be named is dead and we should never bring this up again.

Edited by PonyEcho

Hard to say what I'd do.

And even if I came up with something I would like to do, I'd probably be too shocked in the real situation to actually follow through. Interesting topic, OP.

Good day, sir.

Let's say your mother was killed in the accident.

I show up at the funeral and say, "When the plane hit the building, I'm sure she found it smashing!" Or another similar 9/11 joke.

Not quite sure you'd find it funny then.

There's enough people making 9/11 jokes and disrespecting those who died, we don't need it in a serious conversation.

Let's say your mother was killed in the accident.

I show up at the funeral and say, "When the plane hit the building, I'm sure she found it smashing!" Or another similar 9/11 joke.

Not quite sure you'd find it funny then.

I'd actually find that a bit funny. It's just a harmless joke, and all your trying to do is enlighten the subject.

I'd personally thank you for that comment.

Then why is it ok for people to laugh, make more jokes about, and even print posters and sell apparel joying-ly announcing Osama Bin Laden's death?

Jump out the window, suck a dudes dick, score some coke, crash my car, suck my own dick, eat some chickin strips, chop my balls off, black out in the sewer, meet a giant fish, fuck its brains out, turn into a jet, bomb the russians, crash into the sun, and die.

• Brohoof 1

How would I react? I have no idea. None at all. I suspect I'd spend my time trying to calm down/comfort people though. If I'd been in the second tower hit. Well, after the first was hit, I'd be out of there, and trying to see if there was anything that could be done to help get people out. I hate to not be doing anything in these situations.

In regards to making jokes about tragedies. It's some people's coping mechanism, and I appreciate and respect that. But you have to have tact in where and how you do it.

(edited)

Jump out the window, suck a dudes dick, score some coke, crash my car, suck my own dick, eat some chickin strips, chop my balls off, black out in the sewer, meet a giant fish, fuck its brains out, turn into a jet, bomb the russians, crash into the sun, and die.

All that, and not even grab some lunch in China Town? You're really missing out on what NYC has to offer.

Seriously, though...I kind of feel bad for the OP because I doubt he expected the thread to turn into...whatever this is.

Edited by NLR Soldier

Then why is it ok for people to laugh, make more jokes about, and even print posters and sell apparel joying-ly announcing Osama Bin Laden's death?

There is a difference between killing a international criminal and an event that led to the death of many people, do you not agree? But just because some people mock someone's death does it mean that it is acceptable?

Aside from the Pearl Harbor attacks more than fifty years prior, this was the only time that America was attacked in its territory

Well I'd like to think that in the tower I'd be a hero and help others get out but I'd probably just run for my life. Once I'm close enough to saftey that I know I'll be able to make it I'd probably start to help people. And as for the plane; I'd probably try to stop them.

There is a difference between killing a international criminal and an event that led to the death of many people, do you not agree? But just because some people mock someone's death does it mean that it is acceptable?

people are people.

It doesn't matter what they do, who they are, what color skin they have, where they come from, what gender they are.

People are fucking people!

Your ideals of equality might actually work if everybody in the world shared them. It would be really cool if this was the case, and if people could simply treat everyone with the decency and fairness that you seem to uphold.

But they don't. Noble though your standpoint may be, it's little more than the optimistic naivete of a child. Some people would like to kill you simply because you were born in "the West." They don't give two shits about your "equality" or "people are people." At a certain point, violent people become a cancer to the rest of the species, and there is often no way to stop them but by using force. Ideally, proper education and other avenues for hope would make the festering of such extremism impossible. Until that happens, the options with holding the threats at bay are a little more limited

Finally, consider the real reasons why people celebrated bin Laden's death. Was it so that they could feel avenged? Or was it the relief that comes with knowing that the world's most infamous Jihadist would no longer be able to inspire, plot and organize attacks against innocent people?