Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hypocrisy in the community?

Shiki

It is a well known fact that a large sum of non-bronies assume bronies (or pegasisters, if you're into that term) to be hypocritical individuals. I've been noticing that it's actually true, at least, for me. I watch a show that pushes the notion of friendship, and take part in a community that (generally) pushes "love and tolerance", whenever I really do not partake in much social interaction, and don't make actual friends, really, and judge and hate many other people based on certain qualities, past events, etc.

I'm curious to see how many others are hypocritical in this sense, as I am.

Also, if you are like me, why do you think the show captivates you so much? I'd say it's really only the innocence that really motivates me to really stay active in the watching of and participation of the MLP show and community.

• Brohoof 2

I also am an anti social individual, though becoming a brony has made me less judgemental, but hate still exists in me, there are certain people and certain groups of people I desipise, like rednecks

I like the show because of how good it is, and this is the nicest community I've ever been in

• Brohoof 4

It is a well known fact that a large sum of non-bronies assume bronies (or pegasisters, if you're into that term) to be hypocritical individuals. I've been noticing that it's actually true, at least, for me. I watch a show that pushes the notion of friendship, and take part in a community that (generally) pushes "love and tolerance", whenever I really do not partake in much social interaction, and don't make actual friends, really, and judge and hate many other people based on certain qualities, past events, etc.

Everyone is a hypocrite about something. Usually it's done without thinking about it. It's easy to see why this happens. Many know the right thing to do, but can any of us say we do the right thing all the time? One easy one is forgiveness, many know that it's good to forgive (not forget), but can't forgive someone for some reason or another. All humans are hypocrites.

Also, if you are like me, why do you think the show captivates you so much? I'd say it's really only the innocence that really motivates me to really stay active in the watching of and participation of the MLP show and community.

I watch it because I like the humor, the characters and the animation quality.

I find that after I was shown into the Brony community, I became more Social, and a bit more forgiving for almost everything. I tolerate almost anything thrown at me, and do my best to be a calm and collected individual. I do not wish to claim that the show is the only thing that makes me like this, but I do my best to be a friend to all I meet. I do my best to help newer people at any subject become as versed as I am, and am willing to share any secrets I learn along the way. I may just be a goodie two shoes, but that's how I am.

• Brohoof 1

Um, I have no idea why I like the show. I haven't really changed much since I started watching. I'm still antisocial. I don't really hang out with my friends. And the hate in my heart pops up whenever I don't want it to. Besides all that, I was a gentle person before MLP. I've always tried to be non-aggressive. Perhaps that softer side of me lets me enjoy the show. When people ask me why I became a brony, I tell them it made me a nicer person. But I'm pretty much the same I've always been.

The show reminds me to be calm and tolerable, to an extent, and to think things over. I don't live by the Love and Tolerate saying word for word, but I refer to it in situations.

I got into ponies almost at the exact same time as I started looking at Libertarians and trying to follow their non-aggression principle which essentially states: It is always illegitimate to use force of any kind against people who are being peaceful.

It doesn't seem like a lot but as I've been taking the message to heart it has truly changed the essence of how I interact with things.

I feel like most of the ponies in the show exemplify the same message, which could simply be summed up "love and tolerate"

Edited by AppleJackle
  • Brohoof 1

I also am an anti social individual, though becoming a brony has made me less judgemental, but hate still exists in me, there are certain people and certain groups of people I desipise, like rednecks

I like the show because of how good it is, and this is the nicest community I've ever been in

can you explain to me what rednecks are and why they are called like that?

:ph34r: (don't read this ..character lenght!) :ph34r:

I don't like people much either, and I don't claim to "love and tolerate" everyone/everything, because that is ridiculous. There are people and things you just will not and can not like in life, and it's that simple.

I don't like the fanbase much, but I like the show because it's really cute and silly.

But it also teaches good messages to children. C:

A "redneck" is a southern-north american usually from Alabama, or Areas near the south east, they are called that usually due to the sunburn one can get from being outside all day, (or at least that is what I have come to assume) Not to be confused with "Hillbilly" which is another kind of Southern-north american.

People seek what they do not possess. You could be cynical and say that not all of them get what they seek, but that's a different topic altogether. The show captivates me because I seek quality and depth, so there you go.

rednecks generaly live in the south east reigion of the US, they are characterized by being "overly southern", they usually have a heavy southern accent, they are jerks, and usually racist(unless it is a white trash redneck), most chew tobacco, all are stupid idiots, they all hunt, they wear some form of hunting camo, and have little respect for the law

• Brohoof 1

rednecks generaly live in the south east reigion of the US, they are characterized by being "overly southern", they usually have a heavy southern accent, they are jerks, and usually racist(unless it is a white trash redneck), most chew tobacco, all are stupid idiots, they all hunt, they wear some form of hunting camo, and have little respect for the law

Rather one-sided view on them.

Not all of them are bad, I live among them, I can tell a bad one from a good one.

Rather one-sided view on them.

Not all of them are bad, I live among them, I can tell a bad one from a good one.

i live among them too, heck i go to school with those people

how ever i would like to point out that for me, there is a difference between a country person and a redneck, a country person is more respectable and is at least somewhat intelligent

• Brohoof 1

A "redneck" is a southern-north american usually from Alabama, or Areas near the south east, they are called that usually due to the sunburn one can get from being outside all day, (or at least that is what I have come to assume) Not to be confused with "Hillbilly" which is another kind of Southern-north american.

your definitions are kind of similiar, I see...

Both say that they are from the south side of the US. But Skullbuster said that they are stupid, racists and jerks. Do they accept the term "redneck" to describe themselves? or it was created by society? to me it sounds like somepony that has a neck painted in red or with a terrible rash :P yeah silly me.

I try to be good at the whole "love and tolerate" thing.

Only people I really can't tolerate are people who can't tolerate others.

I do think it's hypocritical when other Bronies get super upset when people don't like My Little Pony, which I've seen happen a lot.

your definitions are kind of similiar, I see...

Both say that they are from the south side of the US. But Skullbuster said that they are stupid, racists and jerks. Do they accept the term "redneck" to describe themselves? or it was created by society? to me it sounds like somepony that has a neck painted in red or with a terrible rash :P yeah silly me.

Oh they love the term Redneck. They love it with all their heart. Though other (dem Yankees) people use it as a pejorative, most of them take pride in the name. Edited by DeltaTangent

Well we are only human.

"Love and tolerance" is just an overused word for respect; nobody has to like everyone in the community, but as long as we try to get along with each other through understanding and compromises, we'll be fine.

Have you seen how smooth the animation is? And those eyes...

I'm not a very social person, but I'm not hateful either. Not fond of the "love and tolerate" phrase though as it's more an ammo provider than anything. The message is no different from general simple guidelines to follow in life yet love and tolerate is treated as if it's a creed exclusive to MLP.

As for my reason for liking MLP, I enjoy it because I generally enjoy cute things. MLP is cute and has effort put into it.

On the inside, I'm a total hypocrite. But since I'm (usually) really stubborn, I won't admit my hypocrisy and I will even preach the opposite beliefs of my own because my stupid self pride doesn't want me to be a hypocrite. For example, on the tulpa thread (i had already been about 1/3 of the way done with my tulpa at the beginning of the thread) I sided with the people who said stuff like "Its wierd and I don't need an immaginary friend" when at the time, I was making a pony tulpa.

As to why I watch the show, the humor, the animations, and the believabity of the characters.

Edited by Twilie'Zorah (ADOR)

HEY I'm no hypocrite! I never considered myself part of this brony/love/tolerance movement to begin with

But I think the show captivates so many people because the characters have qualities that we all want to possess but have trouble with because of our selfishness

• Brohoof 2

I never claim to love and tolerate in the first place to be honest, that is what sets me apart.

I like the show because it is well-written and has interesting characters that can be related to.

It's funny how the definition of redneck originated. It was a phrase coined in the Westward Expansion of the United States, in which ranchers (who wore red bandanas around their necks often) were given the name rednecks. Through years of language development, it soon became used to describe stereotypes of people living out in backwater places, though the stereotypes truly exist in the midwest more than anywhere else. But it has also been used to describe southern states' inhabitants as well.

As for the original topic at hand, there is always hypocrisy manifested in a community one way or the other. I do see "love and tolerate" spewed by intolerant folks sometimes, and it's funny how they do that. Though, I do not feel that a majority of the community is like this. Every niche group has its radicals.

Edited by Random User

The issue is that the concept of Love and Tolerance is easy to apply to one's life in theory. But it is something that takes practice and time. I agree that there are people who are hypocrites when it comes to claiming that they live by the concept of Love and Tolerance. They say "Love and Tolerance", but when someone says "Ponyz Sux0rz LOL" that message then changes to "OMG *Expletive* *Expletive* DIE IN A FIRE!!!!!!!!!!"

As I said earlier, living by the concept of Love and Tolerance is doable. But it is certainly not easy and takes time to master.

The way I see it, the whole "love and tolerate" thing is just an ideal. It can never be fully realized, but it can be a compass for navigating interactions with others. It's up there with "turn the other cheek", "do unto others..." and my personal favorite "be excellent to each other".

To take it as the be-all, end-all is simple-minded at best. To cleave to this ideal as some kind of solution for all of our social problems is hopelessly optimistic. Worse, it can be counter-productive or even destructive. At what point does tolerating something terrible become passively supporting it?

Anyways, like any "catch phrase philosophy", it is a good idea, so long as it isn't followed without thinking, or used as a cop-out for facing the real challenges in life.