Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the deal with everyone leaving?

Gone Airbourne

I didn't mean it in a bad way.

Well, obviously not EVERYTHING has to do with Finest, I was merely saying that Finest would be very near the top of a list of users sorted by how many people get pissed because of them.

Oh it's ok, the amount of shit's given is at a very low meter c:

If people want to leave because of me, I could not give a monkeys ass. I am just a person. If they want to poo themselves in anger and leave, I don't care!

I didn't mean it in a bad way.

Well, obviously not EVERYTHING has to do with Finest, I was merely saying that Finest would be very near the top of a list of users sorted by how many people get pissed because of them.

That Blacklist/Hitlist son there`s always somethin funky on it. Finest must be #1 then. Not surprised but ashamed & saddened.
  • Brohoof 1

Bottom line is, there may be changes that people don't like. Just recently some stuff happened to the RP section that I got a bit angry at, but I see it as a test, weeding the weak out and leaving only the dedicated. I am sure Feld0 has noticed a decline in users also, in fact I know he has because he addressed this in his Character Minimum thread comment. I assume somethings will be done to stop the flow of users leaving. But for right now things have been changed and some people feel they do not get the same freedoms from other forums, here, so they leave.

(edited)

Well I know for one thing I'm not leaving anytime soon... There seems to be nothing wrong at all with the forums. When I first joined I was warmed welcomed & I honestly feel that this a great place to be. This actually has been the (only) forums website that I have tried out and loved. So to all the users that make this forums page what it is I thank you.

Edited by GoneAirbourne

I didn't know that members under 13 got their accounts suspended, that's pretty harsh from the mods to do that.

There were several reasons for that, which go beyond the situation with Sarge. Plainly put, those registrations should have been blocked from the start.

• Brohoof 4

There were several reasons for that, which go beyond the situation with Sarge. Plainly put, those registrations should have been blocked from the start.

In September 2006, the FTC levied substantial fines on several enterprises for COPPA violations. The website Xanga was fined US$1 million for COPPA violations, for repeatedly allowing children under 13 to sign up for the service without getting their parent's consent.[8]

Christ, that's just, wow. Then again Xanga is a terrible site I never go to, cause it's full of pedos and 2005.

• Brohoof 1

I can totally see where you're coming from with doing that, I think all forums I've been on bar this one had a young age restriction thing... last forum I was on before this one had a 16 plus one, but that was just them being doubly safe and stuff.

As soon as it happened I had a couple of people on my facebook start complaining though, saying that it was bullshit and stuff... :< feel kinda bad for them, because it's like they've just been shoved away, etc. But I'd keep tabs on new members and stuff... they were on about getting around the restriction with making a new account and putting their age up or something.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, agree with Kaze and Zoop ^

But they have to operate within the confines of the law. Anyone below the age of 13 legally needs parental consent. This can't be guaranteed, and remember some other websites who DO allow under 13s to register requesting written parental permission forms first. MLPForums obviously don't have the resources to handle this, nor is it fair that they burden that kind of responsibility.

It might be a tad annoying for them to change it now, yeah, but rather that than having anyone come under any legal action from it. It's just best to learn that this is how it is now, and adapt to the new changes. No point whining over what cannot be changed.

I for one welcome the new changes.

• Brohoof 2

So you banned them for unpermissioned info?

They haven't been banned, they have their account suspended for X amount of days, until they turn 13, then their account becomes re-accessable. And it's not just 'unpermissioned info'. It's illegal.

• Brohoof 2

I understand, but what about if they had made really good friends in here?, what if they exanged lots and lots of pms?, they got banished without any warning, I agree that was the best thing to do sadly, but If was 12 I would be really upset if that happened to me because of 8yo user and her dad

So you banned them for unpermissioned info?

In any other forum with COPPA, some moderation team can easily permaban you when you do nothing but post "I'm 12 and what's this?" meme

feel kinda bad for them, because it's like they've just been shoved away, etc.

Eh, to be honest the suspensions we netted out for the folks that were listed as being under thirteen were reluctant. More than a few of them were active community members with a surprising amount of maturity given their age. It was with no personal joy that they were removed - it simply was what had to be done given the situation.

• Brohoof 4

I understand, but what about if they had made really good friends in here?, what if they exanged lots and lots of pms?, they got banished without any warning, I agree that was the best thing to do sadly, but If was 12 I would be really upset if that happened to me because of 8yo user and her dad

Why should an 8 year old even be on the internet?! Also I don't really think 'A member made some friends over the internet' is an excuse in court when you're faced with substantial fines, would you not agree?

Yeah, it's bad if you talked to some people who turned out were too young to legally be on the site, but there's no point complaining as that's just the law. Fair enough they should have enforced it sooner, but at least they've started now before anything happened.

With the greatest of respects, it sounds like a selfish reaction to the people who gave you the forums in the first place. :/

• Brohoof 2

Eh, to be honest the suspensions we netted out for the folks that were listed as being under thirteen were reluctant. More than a few of them were active community members with a surprising amount of maturity given their age. It was with no personal joy that they were removed - it simply was what had to be done given the situation.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I can totally understand why, and I can also understand that it's needed to be more immediate more than anything else.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Honestly I hope that i have not caused any strife or controversy among any users... The (only) reason I posted this was because I saw a couple of users leave for similar reasons. Their (reasons) for leaving just left me worried that is all.

Edited by GoneAirbourne

Why should an 8 year old even be on the internet?! Also I don't really think 'A member made some friends over the internet' is an excuse in court when you're faced with substantial fines, would you not agree?

Yeah, it's bad if you talked to some people who turned out were too young to legally be on the site, but there's no point complaining as that's just the law. Fair enough they should have enforced it sooner, but at least they've started now before anything happened.

With the greatest of respects, it sounds like a selfish reaction to the people who gave you the forums in the first place. :/

technology is like that, today 5 year old kids knows how to search on google or look for youtube videos, when I was 8 internet was crap compared to what we have now. Kids are intelligent these days, the can easily lie about their ages, and we can't control what's happening inside the 4 walls of his/her house, we don't know if parents are supervising them or they just don't give a crap what their children are doing on the internet.

"t sounds like a selfish reaction to the people who gave you the forums in the first place. :/" I'm sorry but I didn't understood that statement.

• Brohoof 2

technology is like that, today 5 year old kids knows how to search on google or look for youtube videos, when I was 8 internet was crap compared to what we have now. Kids are intelligent these days, the can easily lie about their ages, and we can't control what's happening inside the 4 walls of his/her house, we don't know if parents are supervising them or they just don't give a crap what their children are doing on the internet.

"t sounds like a selfish reaction to the people who gave you the forums in the first place. :/" I'm sorry but I didn't understood that statement.

Still, it's not really a place for an 8 year old to be? You wouldn't condone letting an 8 year old sit in a bar alone, and that are far worse things on here than in a bar.

And I was meaning that, you're being quite selfish. By saying "That's unfair I had friends who were under 13", rather than thinking "Oh fair enough, they could have got in a lot of trouble"

Still, it's not really a place for an 8 year old to be? You wouldn't condone letting an 8 year old sit in a bar alone, and that are far worse things on here than in a bar.

And I was meaning that, you're being quite selfish. By saying "That's unfair I had friends who were under 13", rather than thinking "Oh fair enough, they could have got in a lot of trouble"

I only had a 10 year old girl in my list, but she added me randomly and I've never speaked to her, so I've never had friends with those ages. And I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about them.(from users below 13 that were good users overall and had good friends of the range of 8 to 15 or something like that)

I only had a 10 year old girl in my list, but she added me randomly and I've never speaked to her, so I've never had friends with those ages. And I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about them.(from users below 13 that were good users overall and had good friends of the range of 8 to 15 or something like that)

But still, the law is in place as they aren't in the position to decide whether it's fair or not. Some laws are in place to protect those who don't know that they need protecting yet, and it's unfair to burden the moderators with something they have no power to change.

• Brohoof 2

Remember, if people lie about their age, we cannot know and it doesn't become our problem. And if anyone claims to have lied about their age on here, they better well expect to have the same legal standing of the age they pretended to be. And MLP Forums is in the legal clear.

Also, no one can complain anymore about not knowing ages, all members are expected to be 13 years or older now. No exceptions.

• Brohoof 1

So, for the majority of people who are leaving, the major problem is that the forum is changing and is not what it used to be?

Hm... Ok then, sure. I noticed that the forum staff is a bit too edgy and a bit biased when it comes to rules, and I hope they make it more fair.

Personally, this forum is a lot better than others. It has a (from my perspective) good and reasonably respectable community. I wouldn't think of leaving this one just as soon as some people over here.

This frightens me. I've only been a member for a week, but I'm probably not going to leave. And, if we're losing members, I'll just get more. It's not that hard. It's making them stick that is hard.

technology is like that, today 5 year old kids knows how to search on google or look for youtube videos, when I was 8 internet was crap compared to what we have now. Kids are intelligent these days.

She was a minority. Most of my peers don't even know what a browser is. Or what the internet is for that matter.

I think people that go through the whole process of making a thread just to say they are leaving are just being drama queens looking for attention. The internet is flexible, you don't need to tell it your leaving, you just go. It's a website, not a country.