Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Let's break down Season 3 [possible spoilers?]

My little pwny

Only the development team and Hasbro know what will happen in Season three. What I'm about to type is mostly speculation and hopefully a new way to look at things.

Let's start with what we know. It will be 13 episodes long. There is a two part episode involving the Crystal ponies, it could be the first two or last two episodes of the season. Twilight Sparkle had some kind of test, as she sings about in a video at ComicCon. Octavia and Rarity will sing a duet.

The rest is speculation.

Now with what we know, I'm going to try and fill the blanks. Take a look my episode list of S3; not necessarily in any order.

Crystal Ponies part 1

Crystal Ponies part 2

Twilight "Failure Song" episode

Octavia Rarity duet episode

episode 5

episode 6

episode 7

episode 8

episode 9

episode 10

episode 11

Episode 12/part 1 finale

final episode/part 2 finale

Assuming I have a correct quantity of known episodes based on the leaked videos and pictures, there are only 9 more blank episodes we don't know about yet. If there is a two part finale, then there are only 7 more standalone episodes with a total of 9 standalone. That means about 30% of Season 3 is occupied by two parters!

With only 9 standalone episodes, we aren't getting very many stories/plots/situations as we would like. There are very few possibilities left to put into this season. Based on trends set by previous episodes in the first two seasons, we can deduce that there will be certain episodes of certain kinds. For instance:

• First, you gotta have an episode for each character at least once. It looks like Twilight and Rarity already have one, so that leaves Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy.
  • Speaking of Rainbow Dash, does she gets a boyfriend? That's her one and only Episode this season, maybe.
  • There may be Discord, right? Well, there goes the other two parter because Discord's character can't really fit in one episode.
  • Don't forget the CMC, they are an important part of MLP:FiM and will always demand at least 1 episode, if not more.
  • Weren't there rumors of a Princess Celestia/Luna episode? Let's just say they get one. After all, they are the most important supporting characters in the show.
  • What would a MLP season be without at least one holiday episode? There has to be one.
Now take a look season 3. There's almost no room for any background character episode or special standalones.

Crystal Ponies part 1

Crystal Ponies part 2

Twilight "Failure Song" episode

Octavia Rarity duet episode

Rainbow Dash Boyfriend(?) episode

Applejack episode

Pinkie Pie episode

Fluttershy episode

CMC episode

Princess Celestia/Luna episode

Holiday episode

Discord/EofDH part 1

Discord/EofDH part 2

No exclusive Derpy Episode can really fit. No Cheerilee, Mayor Mare, Big Mac, Filthy Rich, or any kind of background/supporting character episodes! I know what some of us are thinking: so what? My point is, I don't think we will have any "unexpected" episodes this season. That's not to say the episodes themselves won't be creative and good, but we are just going to have more of the same characters featured during the season.

Of course, I could be totally off the mark here, for example, a holiday episode could be mixed in with a character episode. Pinkie Pie could have an April Fool's thing. Celestia/Luna could have an origin episode which is a MLP version of Easter. Or maybe the Crystal pony two part-er is the same as the Discord two part-er. Or maybe there isn't Discord, I don't know.

Hopefully you get what I'm saying here. Having only 13 episodes in a season limits the writers to what they can do. Sure, maybe they can release more seasons more frequently with 13 episodes, but every season needs their mane 6, CMC, and holiday episodes. In the past, they would not only be able to have multiple mane 6 and CMC episodes, but they could include many of the supporting ponies too. That's what they can do with 26 episodes, but now, Studio B is limiting themselves. I'm sure they didn't make the decision without weighing the pros and cons, but the way I look at it, we are at the short end of the stick.

• Brohoof 2

I think there will be just one standalone episode, to be honest: Octavia & Rarity's Duet, and Twilight Sparkle's episode provided that the song doesn't fit into the whole story-arc format the season is attempting to produce, which case it would be two. The reason why I say we will have a couple of standalone episodes is that we've already gone through the ponies on an individual basis (sometimes as a group, dealing with bigger problems) in season two, and they look to be much more developed than before. Granted, I think that they'll start off with Twilight's song to begin with as it turns out to be a two-part season première, then right after it will be the episode about... class and sophistication I suppose, with Rarity and Octavia signing a duet. I get the feeling there will be conflict among those two during the episode, and both will end up learning a lesson.

But... FUCK YES! OCTAVIA SINGING!

Posted Image

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 2

Wow, great analysis. I agree with almost everything you said here.

The truth is that only time will tell how it plays out, there's not much we can do except speculate.

I like what you have down. Also, I think it's been hinted that Trixie will make a return. Whether this fits in with Discord's return, I'm unsure, though. I'd like Trixie to come back for her own episode instead of riding the wave of another villain.

I think Discord's episode will revolve around a look at Equestria's past. He's been sealed again and the only reason, that we know of, he broke free in the first place was because the ponies who sealed him, Celestia and Luna, were no longer connected to the Elements. Since that factor is not an issue, I don't see how he'll break free again. That's why I think we're going to get a look at the forming of Equestira, of Celestia's and Luna's time together before the banishing, how they defeated Discord with the Elements.

Also, Applejack needs her own song so as long as there's that, I will enjoy S3.

Here's how I would see it:

1. Season premeire part 1, with Twilight's song

2. Season premeire part 2, resolution of Twilight's problem; perhaps trying to tackle an antagonist here as well, or a competitor. For flexibility, you could go with the Crystal Ponies being mentioned here as twilight will have to tackle that problem later.

3. Octavia & Rarity duet. Standalone episode, and afterwards, we pack our bags for the main event. This is basically to get yourself warmed up for it.

4. Start of the main course; the exposition. This will be of similar tone to season two's premeire, except it will get to things quicker. Crystal Ponies will make an introduction and will be one of the central focuses throughout the story arc.

5. Continuation of whatever was explained in episode 4. Start of rising action right away - the antagonist will probably make an appearance at this point, he/she is explained, etc.

6. Continuation of rising action. The Mane 6 try to think about what the antagonist might do, what might happen, etc. but will have to deal with him/her through some kind of battle.

7. Turning point. This part will be a bit more brief than the other actions, and the episode will end in a cliffhanger. Get ready.

8. Cliffhanger is put to an end after a few minutes of screentime; the Mane 6 may be broken or defeated here. If you've seen the barren Ponyville picture, it will probably be a direct result from the defeat of the Mane 6 - midway: start of falling action. Whatever that was discussed in episode 7 will have great effects on future episodes this season, whether it be some part of major character development or some major event like a battle.

9. Continuation of the falling action - this will be longer than the rising action as the Mane 6 must huddle up and plan + set forth a resolve. This episode may tackle just the planning process. Meanwhile, the antagonist may start to question their motives and reasoning behind what they're doing.

10. Resolution - the Mane 6 set forth their resolve and try to overcome whatever they're stacked up against. We could see a lot of action here - fighting, magic spells, etc. The antagonist's confusion on the basis of introspection comes into play here as it's almost like he/she would be fighting him/herself as well as the Mane 6.

11. End of the major parts of the story arc - The Mane 6 are successful in dealing with whatever it is that they've dealt with. If it's any indication that Trixie will indeed be the villain that the Mane 6 must put a stop to.

12. Season finale, part 1: Discord episode, part 1. He's a lot stronger this time, and it's revealed that he's been causing all those problems from afar - manipulating Trixie and such, causing trouble for the crystal ponies, Cadence, etc. It might be revealed that Trixie freed Discord; she and the Mane 6 must team up to stop him.

13. Season finale, part 2: End of a wonderful season with Discord defeated, and the antagonist is shown to have developed quite a bit as a character.

• Brohoof 2

Wait, so there will only be 12 or 12 episodes? I am so out of the loop. Why a short season? I like the prospects of the episodes, but that's half a season short. Sorry for being so uninformed. :blush:

Here's how I would see it:

1. Season premeire part 1, with Twilight's song

2. Season premeire part 2, resolution of Twilight's problem; perhaps trying to tackle an antagonist here as well, or a competitor. For flexibility, you could go with the Crystal Ponies being mentioned here as twilight will have to tackle that problem later.

3. Octavia & Rarity duet. Standalone episode, and afterwards, we pack our bags for the main event. This is basically to get yourself warmed up for it.

4. Start of the main course; the exposition. This will be of similar tone to season two's premeire, except it will get to things quicker. Crystal Ponies will make an introduction and will be one of the central focuses throughout the story arc.

5. Continuation of whatever was explained in episode 4. Start of rising action right away - the antagonist will probably make an appearance at this point, he/she is explained, etc.

6. Continuation of rising action. The Mane 6 try to think about what the antagonist might do, what might happen, etc. but will have to deal with him/her through some kind of battle.

7. Turning point. This part will be a bit more brief than the other actions, and the episode will end in a cliffhanger. Get ready.

8. Cliffhanger is put to an end after a few minutes of screentime; the Mane 6 may be broken or defeated here. If you've seen the barren Ponyville picture, it will probably be a direct result from the defeat of the Mane 6 - midway: start of falling action. Whatever that was discussed in episode 7 will have great effects on future episodes this season, whether it be some part of major character development or some major event like a battle.

9. Continuation of the falling action - this will be longer than the rising action as the Mane 6 must huddle up and plan + set forth a resolve. This episode may tackle just the planning process. Meanwhile, the antagonist may start to question their motives and reasoning behind what they're doing.

10. Resolution - the Mane 6 set forth their resolve and try to overcome whatever they're stacked up against. We could see a lot of action here - fighting, magic spells, etc. The antagonist's confusion on the basis of introspection comes into play here as it's almost like he/she would be fighting him/herself as well as the Mane 6.

11. End of the major parts of the story arc - The Mane 6 are successful in dealing with whatever it is that they've dealt with. If it's any indication that Trixie will indeed be the villain that the Mane 6 must put a stop to.

12. Season finale, part 1: Discord episode, part 1. He's a lot stronger this time, and it's revealed that he's been causing all those problems from afar - manipulating Trixie and such, causing trouble for the crystal ponies, Cadence, etc. It might be revealed that Trixie freed Discord; she and the Mane 6 must team up to stop him.

13. Season finale, part 2: End of a wonderful season with Discord defeated, and the antagonist is shown to have developed quite a bit as a character.

This is basically what I would like to see in season 3... Actually it's exactly what I would want to see in season 3... I honestly can't wait for season 3.

Well, i have my own personal theory.

A movie.

Yes its far fecthed but think about it. Usually around the thirdish season and if the cartoon is popular, there is always some sort of 1 hour and a half special. (No not a full blatant 2 hour movie. At least... not yet ;) ) Maybe that will be the finally to the season. Opening up two more standard episode slots. The season is short. There gots to be some reason why they did that. Idk if they wnat to bring shorter seasons and have them out quicker. That could be a possibilty. But its also a possibilty there could be something special after this season.

Also the whole season, or part of it could be some long, epic, story arc. (MAKE IT HAPPEN HASBRO)

Oh and btw, u forgot the Fluttershy as a dragon episode. That was one of the spoilers gievn at Comic Con. (accidently). But i guess that would serve as the Fluttershy episode.

I doubt that the Octavia/Rarity duet is happening. It sounded like Cathy Weseluck just made something up on the spot like that's what she would do if she wrote for the show. At the same time, we're not sure if Tabitha confused herself with Dragonshy about Flutterdragon.

So, as for confirmed stuff, this is happening probably:

Ep.1 and 2. Crystal Empire

Ep.3 Something about Fluttershy or Pinkie, due to an animator commenting about Andrea Libman's work on the episode.

Ep 4. Cutie Mark Crusaders, due to Will Anderson posting pics of his studio and the scene he was working on.

Ep 12 and 13 The episodes those post-apocalyptic screenshots are from (just assuming here.)

I doubt that the Crystal Empire is a whole season thing. I get maybe going back there for a few episodes, but Ponyville would still be the central location, probably.

Also, I have a far fetched theory the season 4 is happening in early 2013, so they can still get the syndication bonus cash and still not disappoint their fans. It seems the production was too long and weirdly organized (for example, Daniel Ingram writing pony songs way past his deadline and voice actors recording lines really late) for only 13 episodes...

Edited by Rarietty

I really like Devin's idea. A story arc would be absolutely fantastic, and is how I hope to see season 3 progress. It'd also make up for the lack of 13 more episodes in the season (I quite frankly couldn't see a 26 episode season being a story arc).

~~