Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

My parents are cool with it. My dad does tease me about it sometimes and he thinks me having a Pinkie Pie plushie is a little weird but besides that it's cool. Two of my close friends know I'm a brony. One doesn't really care and the other thinks it's creepy so we just never bring it up in conversations.

My parents don't care at all. They know I like the show and sometimes my dad will watch it with my sister and me. I've told my best friend about it to. He just teases me about it but I can tell he's joking. I told his girlfriend ans she just asked if I was serious. I told a few girls and they just thought it was cute.

My friends that know act the same to me we just mess with each other about different stuff now. My mom finds it strange that i like a show for lil girls but is generaly acceptive as for what my dad thinks dont kniw or dont care, ut does help when your a lil older

My dad would chuckle inwardly, thinking it's cute. My mom supports the show, but doesn't want me buying toys. My friends had hilarious reactions. Some of them went blank-faced, some of them groaned at me, and others were converted to bronydom :P

I have a whole variety of responses xD

• 2 months later...

I have told my mom that I was a brony. But I have heard that the fathers are more judgemental and have not told mine yet. Thankfully my mother actually supported me but if possible can somepony tell me how it went with your father? Because I really need to decide what I am to do :(

@@Techite Sparkle,

We already have a thread with numerous posts about mother, father, and friend reactions to bronyness. As such, I've combined yours with this one. Feel free to poke around the thread for answers to your question.

In the future, please refer to the search function before creating a new thread. Thanks. :)

I have told my mom that I was a brony. But I have heard that the fathers are more judgemental and have not told mine yet. Thankfully my mother actually supported me but if possible can somepony tell me how it went with your father? Because I really need to decide what I am to do sad.png

My Dad passed away before I got into the show so I never really saw what his reaction would have been, but knowing him he probably would have trolled me about it for a little while but would have eventually have made peace with it after getting over the shock of "my son likes ponies". Pinkie Pie was one of the first ponies I started liking in part because she reminds me of him, and was my second favorite until Rainbow Dash rose up after Sleepless In Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy.

• Brohoof 1

My friends look at me like I'm the weirdest person ever. The most my friends will watch is Fluffle Puff (which I think is amazing). I have one friend that says I should just stop, a bunch of my friends that are girls who think it's cool, and another friend who just wants to know why. No one hates me for it, or thinks of me differently; they accepted it and moved on with their lives.

Well see, my sister was all like, "You REALLY watch a show for little girls?" Only like, you should have heard her. She has this big issue with me being as immature as I am, and I'm pretty sure this lowered her opinion of me by a ton... That is, until I actually got her to watch it. We watch it together all the time now. :P

My other sister thought it was weird, but that's probably only because she does everything my other sister does, and she watches it all the time now too.

My mom was concerned at first, but now she doesn't mind. She finds it a bit annoying how much we watch it though :P

Not sure if my stepdad knows, wouldn't really care. Same goes for my real dad.

As for my friends, well... Brony has pretty much become my nickname now, and apparently all my arguments are invalid because I'm a brony :lol: I know they're just joking though, so it's all in good fun.

What really bugs me is how my non-friends have reacted. I've gotten picked on once or twice, and it really hurts. :(

I've said before, but my parents just won't have it from me. They honestly think I'm obsessed with the show just because I was a fan and was part of another forum at the time. They're always telling me to grow up & stuff, and my dad has even threatened to kick me out of the house at 18 if I don't give it up.

So yeah, they didn't take the news very well. :/

I've said before, but my parents just won't have it from me. They honestly think I'm obsessed with the show just because I was a fan and was part of another forum at the time. They're always telling me to grow up & stuff, and my dad has even threatened to kick me out of the house at 18 if I don't give it up.

So yeah, they didn't take the news very well. :/

Wow.

That's...

Well. I dunno what to honestly say about that. The reactions that some folks have to people liking a freaking innocent cartoon is ridiculous...

But it sucks that you're actually getting threatened with real life consequences for liking the show. Sorry about that. I mean... is your dad seriously serious about that?

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

My brother caught me watching it. Then the next morning, he told my mom.

Mom: What did you do at grandma's house yesterday.

Me: Nothing, just relaxed really.

Brother: HE WAS WATCHING MY LITTLE PONY!

*Mom turns to me with this face:  :huh: *

Me: WHAT?! Why would I watch that? It's a show for girls.

Mom: You're lying I can tell.

Me: Shoot.

Then, the unexpected:

Mom: My little pony, my little pony...

Me:  :blink:

Mom: Why you watch stupid shows like that, you know you have to study for the SATs.

*I knew I had to study.* *I was planning on telling her over summer break, so she didn't think I was wasting my study time*

Mom: Come on, really? :okiedokielokie:

Me: hehe

Me: Well, *CENSORED BROTHER'S NAME* LIKES ONE DIRECTION.

*Mom looks at my brother with the it's true face*

My mom makes jokes whenever she can. My mom and my brother are the only family members who know. I have a friend who is a pegasister who knows.

• Brohoof 1

Mum: What's that son?
Me: Nothing mum.
5 days later

Mum: What's that son? 
Me: Nothing mum. -.-

5 days later

Mum: Oow that's so cute.
Me: I know

1 day later: 

Mum: Look my son is watching pony stuff again.
Her friend: Isn't that for young girls?
Mum: I have no idea.
Me: Shut up mum -.-

• Brohoof 3

I don't go out of my way to tell people that I'm a brony/pegasister, especially certain members of my family, but should it come up I have no problem copping to the fact that I love the show. The only people who really know about it are my two brothers and my mother who are all perfectly fine with it. My mother saw my laughing out loud to Lesson Zero and she found it both cute and humorous that I was giggling to a cartoon. She even promised to buy me an MLP t-shirt, but I haven't taken her up on that offer yet. :P

As for my brothers, I made them both watch some episodes with me, and while neither one of them will ever become a full-on brony, they respect the show for what it is. My older brother has shared some laughs with me while watching it and admits to liking both Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Good enough for me. :)

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

My dad was fine with it, but my mom...oh god...

She tried calling everyone who liked it ( even family members ) gay or pedophilic. Here are three good samples of what she said:

1: *asks siri if bronies are gay*

2. Me: Even my COUSIN watches it!

Mom: Well what if hes gay then?

3. I sware i might just block it off your computer!

She overreacted hugely.

Edited by DaFlash