Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The phrase "Love and Tolerate"

Clarity

So, us people who've been around ponies awhile know the constantly used phrase, "love and tolerate".

Well, questions sprung up from this. Where did it even come from, and why is it so popular? It only seemed to be used when discussing ponies. Love and tolerance doesn't seem to occur a lot in the MLP:FiM community. Not just love and tolerance for anti-bronies, but also between themselves.

Which also brings me to another question: Why say "love and tolerate" when you don't actually do so? (I know most of you do, but some also don't.) Moreover, some people use the phrases simply to annoy other people.

What do you think about the phrase?

• Brohoof 4

The problem with love and tolerance is that it is now considered a motto rather then a phrase. Love and tolerating was orginally a phrase:

"I'm going to love and tolerate the S**t out of you." You would usuallly do it on that one guy you didn't like.

Howwever, people acidently turned into a motto, and now you are suppose to love and tolerateing everyone. Which is stupid, since sometimes you need to fight, and also sometimes you need to be accepting.

Love and tolerate was never meant to be a motto which it why it's so bad. We even called hyprocrites because of it.

Edited by Birthday RaccoonBL
  • Brohoof 11

my signature explains all.

It originated in 4chan. Some newfag misinterpretted it and taught the misinformation other newfags and indoctrinated them into a brony philosophy that even the bronies thought was retarded.

the actual meaning is explained in sig.

@,

Edited by ceresbane
  • Brohoof 5

ceresbane is correct. I personally don't use the phrase, because the way I see it, some people I simply can't love, and some things I simply can't tolerate. I prefer the doctrive of common decency; just because I disagree with someone and can't take what they're doing lying down, doesn't mean I have to make an ass of myself. But anyway. Back on topic. I personally don't like the phrase at all, as the only things that have come of it are:

1. Certain bronies using it as an excuse not to partake in logical debate when necessary

2. Certain other bronies accusing me of obsessing over love and tolerance when I step in on behalf of other bronies who are receiving hate and ridicule from said certain bronies

3. Anti-bronies trying to use it a: to invalidate my argument or b: as an ace in the hole to try and force me to stop disproving their points and making them look stupid.

All three of these outcomes are frankly annoying, and as no good has come of the phrase I think that people should really just forget about it.

Edited by Nilkad_Naquada
  • Brohoof 2

"love and tolerate" is getting more obsolete now on the brony community. People are using this show to not what they watch, but it changes who they ARE. whetever, ill only watch the show for the plot. Haters gonna hate... whatever

Well the "love" parts alright in my opinion but the tolerate part is essentially actively ignoring people and that's something I don't agree with. If you believe in something differently than someone else you shouldn't just dismiss them as stupid and ignore them for having a different set of beliefs

• Brohoof 2

my signature explains all.

It originated in 4chan. Some newfag misinterpretted it and taught the misinformation other newfags and indoctrinated them into a brony philosophy that even the bronies thought was retarded.

@,

Makes a lot more sense now thanks :)

I didn't know where i came from exactly but new it originated arroudn that period.

So is that when this: (contains swearing so spoiler'd)

Posted Image

comes form or was it much latter?

I can't speak for everyone here, but I've said "love and tolerate" exactly once, not over and over. And I wasn't throwing it out there as an empty slogan. I meant it.

Am I the only one who thinks that discussions about the brony community (rather than the show) are where things get hairy, and cause us to effectively devolve into just another squabbling fandom on the net? I'm sure others have noticed this. Personally, I'm not too concerned with the community, its lingo or its mountain of emotional baggage from 4chan, a site and an era that I had nothing to do with. What matters to me is the show. That is the only reason I'm here. Life is too short and the ponies are too cute for me to get bogged down in stuff like this. It's depressing.

^_^ So forgive my tangent, and allow me to practice what I preach and excuse myself from this thread, and hopefully all future ones like it.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 4

@,

No. It isn't. I'm sorry, but you are just another person with a different meaning for it. Which is the stupid part. It means something different for everyone. Which is a huge problem.

• Brohoof 3

I uphold that to a level you know, I try to love everybody on general principal not just because I watch My Little Pony. Tolerance is another thing completely however, for instance I'm not going to "tolerate" the libyans who killed our ambassador, I won't tolerate Nazi's I won't tolerate facism or racism or sexism, because I believe them to be completely morally wrong.

• Brohoof 1

True, the phrase 'love and tolerate' is mainly a motto. I honestly don't have a problem with it. True, some people might not mean it, but then again, we are human. There are always times when we can get mad or annoyed. It's not against the law if somepony one day decides to chew off a troll on the forums. I think people who use the phrase can be as nice as possible, but it's not the end of the world if they start getting annoyed. We all get mad at times.

Again, I don't have a problem with the phrase, I honestly think it's pretty cool. Whenever I use the phrase, I try my best to live it up. I don't abuse it, but it;s just a phrase I like to use when introducing new members. It's basically the phrase that represents us bronies.

• Brohoof 3

No. It isn't. I'm sorry, but you are just another person with a different meaning for it. Which is the stupid part. It means something different for everyone. Which is a huge problem.

I cannot facehoof harder than I am currently doing right.

I honestly can't, it is outstanding how people are so set in their ways after they're indoctrinated.

I have the history behind me, I have the memes that were born from it.

Edited by Zoop
Choose your words more intelligently, this isn't 4chan.

I honestly can't, it is outstanding how people are so set in their ways after they're indoctrinated.

Sorry ceresbane, but I'm going to have to correct you there. Or at least on MY opinion. @ said that Love and Tolerance has a different significance for each person out there. And this is is probably right. After all, since we all have a different mind, something as subjective as Love and Tolerance is BOUND to mean something different for many. Even those who agree on most things will probably have something slightly different on them. That's the problem. Love and Tolerance is meant to have one meaning, and it's THAT meaning that is supposed to unify us, and not be left out as just that. The sentence. This is the thing we, as a community, have to correct, and give the phrase what it rightfully should mean for us all. What SHOULD it mean? Well, I guess we should decide that as a community as well, shouldn't we? Why don't we, together, choose WHAT exactly do we want Love and Tolerance to mean? I think that would be the best idea :) .
  • Brohoof 1

Sorry ceresbane, but I'm going to have to correct you there. Or at least on MY opinion. @ said that Love and Tolerance has a different significance for each person out there. And this is is probably right. After all, since we all have a different mind, something as subjective as Love and Tolerance is BOUND to mean something different for many. Even those who agree on most things will probably have something slightly different on them. That's the problem. Love and Tolerance is meant to have one meaning, and it's THAT meaning that is supposed to unify us, and not be left out as just that. The sentence. This is the thing we, as a community, have to correct, and give the phrase what it rightfully should mean for us all. What SHOULD it mean? Well, I guess we should decide that as a community as well, shouldn't we? Why don't we, together, choose WHAT exactly do we want Love and Tolerance to mean? I think that would be the best idea :) .

dude this isn't debatable. I KNOW for a fact that love and tolerance is what it is and the purpose it was used for.

The bastardisation of the meme comes from the misinterpretation of "I'm gonna love and tolerate the shit out of you." Meaning to troll the flamer with love and kindness (used facetiously or sarcastically as the sword and the direct meaning as the shield) until they're so frustrated to be unable to reply that they give up and go.

For some idiotic reason it got misinterpreted as some sort of hippy pacifist slogan when it's really not. It's a parody of the phrase "love and peace."

Because they're not making love and not war.

They're making war WITH LOVE. And not in the sense that you must love each other or some idealist bollocks either (tho I can see where the ignorant conclusion can stem), it was a war cry than anything else. How do i know? I've seen it in use.

Actually thinking about it, as misguided as the meaning is now. The modern love and tolerance is still used to the same purpose albeit to the wrong, heavily misguided intent.

recall every damn instance in the internet that phrase has been used. It has always been used as a means to end conflict with a get out of jail card. Or assert themselves within the community as a sort of prophet or brony of higher station that must guide the heathens to a better way.

Not as some symbol or slogan or par le for peace. In all actuality it's only been bastardised to such school yard one liners like "I know you are but what am I?"

Edited by ceresbane
  • Brohoof 1

dude this isn't debatable. I KNOW for a fact that love and tolerance is what it is and the purpose it was used for.

The bastardisation of the meme comes from the misinterpretation of "I'm gonna love and tolerate the shit out of you." Meaning to troll the flamer with love and kindness (used facetiously or sarcastically as the sword and the direct meaning as the shield) until they're so frustrated to be unable to reply that they give up and go.

For some idiotic reason it got misinterpreted as some sort of hippy pacifist slogan when it's really not. It's a parody of the phrase "love and peace."

Because they're not making love and not war.

They're making war WITH LOVE. And not in the sense that you must love each other or some idealist bollocks either (tho I can see where the ignorant conclusion can stem), it was a war cry than anything else. How do i know? I've seen it in use.

Actually thinking about it, as misguided as the meaning is now. The modern love and tolerance is still used to the same purpose albeit to the wrong, heavily misguided intent.

recall every damn instance in the internet that phrase has been used. It has always been used as a means to end conflict with a get out of jail card. Or assert themselves within the community as a sort of prophet or brony of higher station that must guide the heathens to a better way.

Not as some symbol or slogan or par le for peace. In all actuality it's only been bastardised to such school yard one liners like "I know you are but what am I?"

To be honest, I don't think I've been through the circles of Internet enough to say that I've seen much of the use. Most of the times, yes, it's the get out of jail card to end an argument, which honestly isn't wrong. Besides, tell me this. Were you on the conception of the phrase to know TRULY what was its original purpose? Who knows. Maybe it is what you said, maybe not. Right now, having so many different conceptions of the phrase between people its hard to unify under it. And in fact, if the original meaning of the word WAS to troll, then its better if we use it as a GOOD phrase, and not as a TROLL phrase, don't you think? Plus, we technically owe everything to the haters. We made it grow, but Amid Amidi, the critique guy who made the infamous article criticizing the supposed " end of the director driven era" and the shows that were made for business, rather than an actual good story. After all that, BOOM! Everything exploded, people started getting curious, and...bronies and the newer conception of the show began, so to speak. All of that hapopened because of that article. And whether for good or for bad, haters DO make people notice us more, because they make them, as every living human being, curious. So, best way to troll a hater? "Thank you for making people notice us" XD.

To be honest, I don't think I've been through the circles of Internet enough to say that I've seen much of the use. Most of the times, yes, it's the get out of jail card to end an argument, which honestly isn't wrong. Besides, tell me this. Were you on the conception of the phrase to know TRULY what was its original purpose? Who knows. Maybe it is what you said, maybe not. Right now, having so many different conceptions of the phrase between people its hard to unify under it. And in fact, if the original meaning of the word WAS to troll, then its better if we use it as a GOOD phrase, and not as a TROLL phrase, don't you think? Plus, we technically owe everything to the haters. We made it grow, but Amid Amidi, the critique guy who made the infamous article criticizing the supposed " end of the director driven era" and the shows that were made for business, rather than an actual good story. After all that, BOOM! Everything exploded, people started getting curious, and...bronies and the newer conception of the show began, so to speak. All of that hapopened because of that article. And whether for good or for bad, haters DO make people notice us more, because they make them, as every living human being, curious. So, best way to troll a hater? "Thank you for making people notice us" XD.

dude I'd argue with you semantics on a variety of subjects and it would be the most titanic clash of minds in this whole forum every single time.

But in this case, in a matter I'm dead certain on and a matter of you merely going to your conclusion on a purely liberal "thinking what you like is right" basis.... I know already that this will end idiotically, if not already.

and on another note when I stopped bein bored of that other subject I might take it up again.

dude I'd argue with you semantics on a variety of subjects and it would be the most titanic clash of minds in this whole forum every single time.

But in this case, in a matter I'm dead certain on and a matter of you merely going to your conclusion on a purely liberal "thinking what you like is right" basis.... I know already that this will end idiotically, if not already.

and on another note when I stopped bein bored of that other subject I might take it up again.

Titanic clash of minds? Pfffft hahaha okay, that's funny ^_^ . Still, nah. To be honest, again, I just analize because, well, the topic requires me to. That's it. I already think and analize enough on my own, and while it's not exactly bad, sometimes, it makes me feel very, very fed up with myself. Trust me, it's not something I'd do every day. I'm not sure about you, but you seem like that type who likes to get to the very bottom of something, much like Twilight. So...who knows. Maybe we WILL make a titanic clash. Just be sure to bring in guys like AnonBrony and JustFairness (I think that's the name...) and other guys like those and we got ourselves a clash! This is the ultimate showdown...of ultimate analysis! (Aaaaaand that was a bad joke...sorry :P )(I also don't know what you mean by semantics :huh: ). Besides, I can't be as direct as you. I don't like saying something will end stupidly or stuff like that in a discussion. I don't think I could bring myself to, and I couldn't be more glad :) .

Anyway, back on topic, I don't know if you are the one who misunderstood me, or I'm the one who misunderstood you, but I'm not saying that what you believe is right. In YOUR OWN MIND, it is right. Whether it is right or not is up for debate. Then again, the topic is for people to put i their own thoughts of the phrase Love and Tolerate. It's kind of pointless if we try to see who is right when there's no need in this case, don't you think? :) .

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 1

to bring this to an end, maybe we could state that you, ceresbane, got the "original" http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png meaning of the "love and tolerate"- phrase but everyone of us can decide how to interpret it (or to live after it or not), so, we should all calm down, shouldn´t we?

Btw, ceresbane, I somehow don´t like the style you are talking, it sounds very much from high above and it´s insultive in a way that leaves no doubt that it is truly MEANT this way, that is not needed and it´s not okay in my opinion.

Edited by Your Friend
  • Brohoof 6

to bring this to an end, maybe we could state that you, ceresbane, got the "original" meaning of the "love and tolerate"- phrase but everyone of us can decide how to interpret it (or to live after it or not), so, we should all calm down, shouldn´t we?

Yahoo! What this guy says! Looking for the middle! (why the hell, is the song "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World running through my head now?...). My randomness aside, yeah, what you said. That' probably the best way to unify all of these thoughts into a more common one. Or not. I have no idea :P . But I did like it :) .

you don't think I studied the history too? The problem with loving and tolerating, is that it's too weak and everyone uses it on everything, even fellow bronies.

Now let me ask you something. Let say you had a friend. Now let's say he tells you he's gay. Now, what do you think the guy would want to be: Tolerated, or accepted? The answer btw, is accepted.

The same can even apply to haters. I'm pretty sure a majority of them just misunderstand the situation. So we should accept there opinion.

Don't you see? This fandom needs to be more focused on being more accepting. After all, that's what the majority of the fandom seems to advertise.

Why can't it be love and acceptance?

• Brohoof 1

you don't think I studied the history too? The problem with loving and tolerating, is that it's too weak and everyone uses it on everything, even fellow bronies.

Now let me ask you something. Let say you had a friend. Now let's say he tells you he's gay. Now, what do you think the guy would want to be: Tolerated, or accepted? The answer btw, is accepted.

The same can even apply to haters. I'm pretty sure a majority of them just misunderstand the situation. So we should accept there opinion.

Don't you see? This fandom needs to be more focused on being more accepting. After all, that's what the majority of the fandom seems to advertise.

Why can't it be love and acceptance?

Well, horseapples. That last thing is probably one of the best ideas out there in my opinion. You sir, deserve the Gandhi prize...or er...the Fluttershy prize for peace? Or a Twilight one for genius?...Hmmm...this is a tough one...ignore me :blink: .
  • Brohoof 3

Btw, ceresbane, I somehow don´t like the style you are talking, it sounds very much from high above and it´s insultive in a way that leaves no doubt that it is truly MEANT this way, that is not needed and it´s not okay in my opinion.

You don't have to like it. You just have to deal with it. Welcome to the world as we adults know it.

On another note

@@Arcanel,

I can call that two things. Lack of foresight or too much hindsight. The inconclusive nature of your logic, can get pretty damn irritating. It's like you were born to love and tolerate (the proper meaning). Like you were born a brony soldier.

You don't have to like it. You just have to deal with it. Welcome to the world as we adults know it.

On another note

@@Arcanel,

I can call that two things. Lack of foresight or too much hindsight. The inconclusive nature of your logic, can get pretty damn irritating. It's like you were born to love and tolerate (the proper meaning). Like you were born a brony soldier.

whats your point, man? That aggressive way of yours, whats the matter with it?

On the Internet we are all more or less anonymous, and can be whoever we want to be... and there is nothing bad about discussing with passion, but you are taking it to a personal level.

and I know it´s a harsh world as an "adult", you´re right in this point, but though to that most problems can be discussed in a calm, respectful voice, can´t they. (and friend, I am more an adult than you are with this point of mine, and I am not talking about the physical age)

and "brony soldier"? And to be born to love (respect) and tolerate (acceptance is a better word l.u.)... to me it means to at least try (even if there´s the smallest chance of success) to be the best person I can be, and what is there wrong or to made fun of?

Edited by Your Friend
  • Brohoof 1

Ah ceresbane starting anothing Debate.

*sips tea* Now where have i seen this before? heheh.

But clearly this debate is fultile. Its all subject to opinion. And if opinions are debated then the dabate can last forever.

@ceresbane

I Know where your coming from. Since that WAS the original meaning, u believe it still has the same meaning.

*shakes head*

That is simply not the Case. It may have the same meaning to you. But to other it has changed. Hippies believed they can spread love and peace, maybe we are the hippies of today heheh.

Its nto a bad phrase to go by. Its nice to be optimistic and believe in love and toleration. Even if the original meaning of the term came from the depths of hell, it can change. Hell we originated from the depths of internet hell, and look where we have become, we have become something greater. Words meanings have always changed through history, why not a phrase in a simple community?

My point is even if the phrase has a bad history, it can still have a different meaning. You believe in the original meaning, it was used agianst haters. Other believe in other meanings. Its all a matter of opinion.

Once again, its not a bad phrase to live by. Yes i know, many people don't follow it, many use it to annoy. Thats true. And i can understand that. Its human nature to disagree, to fight, and to dislike and hate. You can almost say it can be impossible to "love and tolerate". That can be true. But even ifs its tough to love and tolerate evryone, its still aint a bad thing to at least TRY and live by.

And because of this, my meaning of the phrase is different. This is what i believe it to be.

To love, as in not Hate.

U can dislike things and stuff, u don't have to love everything, but u shouldn't hate everything either. Try not to Hate everything in the world, it ok to dislike poeple and stuff, just don't hate. Hatred can mean different things. From the simplilest dislike, to despising something to the point of murder. Hatred to do terrible things. Like i said its ok to not like something or someone, but at least try to understand one another, see the good in people, and stuff. Not Hate 'em. Hate can be strong thing.

That brings me to Toleration.

To tolerate means to understand, to recognize ones opinions and beliefs. Its human nature to disagree, but at least keep an open mind. Try and understand ones views and opinions. Their beliefs an where their coming from. Instead of just downright disagreeing and therefore hating their views and them. U don't have to like their views, u can disagree, but at least understand where they are coming from, and keep an open mind. Something u can learn, Ceresbane.

"the key in a conversation, is to disagree, without being disagreeable" Thats something i like to keep in mind when argueing and when i disagree with someone.

Love and Toleration, work together, and as long as you try, try to tolerate, try to not hate crap for stupid things. Its a nice philosphy to follow. Not indoctrine though. Ceres here think we have the phrase imbeaded in our heads.

Also @Birthday RacoonBL

Toleration just mean to understand ones views. You can Tolerate and accept. The tolerate u are thinking of is the one where u can withstand certain things. It has two meanings.

Although the second meaning aint bad to follow. To ignore what negativity people spew at you.

And those are my views on the matter. *sips tea*

Care to rebut Ceres?

(I don't think i did the mentioning correct... sorry for being ignorant on that)

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1