Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What game are you playing right now?

Mint Petal

I've started replaying Shin Megami Tensei IV. It's a really fun game I got about two years ago for Christmas, but man is it hard. I even remember reading some random article about this being one of those games that forces you to humiliate yourself by lowering the difficulty. Regardless, I'd still recommend this game to anyone looking for a good RPG.

As with most SMT games the hardest part of the game is going to be the beginning when you don't have the stats, skills and items to keep yourself alive.

SMTIV is probably my favorite in the series. It has all the best features of the other games along with an amazing soundtrack and great locations to visit. I love how every location you go to feels like a real place.

I regret going with a physical main character over a magical one. I normally go magic in SMT cuz it's utterly broken in most of them but I thought I'd switch it up but seeing how powerful some of that magic is on the demons... :wub:

There's nothing forcing you to turn down the difficulty though. I would just highly recommend saving before you go anywhere in a room in case you get screwed over by the RNG. Once you get later in the game it gets so much easier. You'll have better demons and, if you're focusing on one or two stats, your Flynn should be monstrous. Even my phys and gun Flynn wrecked anything that wasn't resistant to phys damage.

Fairy Fencer F

Loving this game.

I've wanted to play this game since it was announced it would come to the US. It always looked like a lot of fun. Maybe I should buy it sooner than later.

• Brohoof 1

As with most SMT games the hardest part of the game is going to be the beginning when you don't have the stats, skills and items to keep yourself alive.

SMTIV is probably my favorite in the series. It has all the best features of the other games along with an amazing soundtrack and great locations to visit. I love how every location you go to feels like a real place.

I regret going with a physical main character over a magical one. I normally go magic in SMT cuz it's utterly broken in most of them but I thought I'd switch it up but seeing how powerful some of that magic is on the demons... :wub:

There's nothing forcing you to turn down the difficulty though. I would just highly recommend saving before you go anywhere in a room in case you get screwed over by the RNG. Once you get later in the game it gets so much easier. You'll have better demons and, if you're focusing on one or two stats, your Flynn should be monstrous. Even my phys and gun Flynn wrecked anything that wasn't resistant to phys damage.

Yeah, it's gotten a lot easier now that I'm around... early midgame I'd say? My guess is probably off, but I'm right at the entrance of Kagome Tower (which by the way has a kickass theme I can relax to). I know I still have a long way to go before I'm anywhere close to the endgame. Once I'm at that part I'm going to be taking on the DLC demons: The Archangels, Sanat Kumara, and the Ancient of Days. I'd include Masakados, but I'm pretty sure you have to get the Neutral Route to try his quest. I'm not gunning for any particular alignment, I'm simply making the choices based on what I would do if I were in that situation.

IV was my intro the SMT franchise, but even then I could tell it was a unique series. Many of the messages it conveys are admittedly questionable to me, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the series and even forcing recommending others to try it out. Since we're talking about IV, I'll say it has great characters and a great story that develops according to your moral choices. The choices thing is what made me love the game so much because it really makes you feel involved with everything in its world.

As for the stats for my Flynn, I'm keeping most of them balanced for the time being. I think I'll be putting all of them to 100, then choose Magic and either Agility or Luck to concentrate on for the rest of the game. I might just keep all of them equal throughout though. I never really pick out specific demons, I just form my team based on what I have available to fuse and what I think looks cool ^_^ . For now at least, I won't be doing the DLC quests for nothing after all xD!

Magic is OP? Demifiend would like a word with you btw.

Yeah, it's gotten a lot easier now that I'm around... early midgame I'd say? My guess is probably off, but I'm right at the entrance of Kagome Tower (which by the way has a kickass theme I can relax to). I know I still have a long way to go before I'm anywhere close to the endgame. Once I'm at that part I'm going to be taking on the DLC demons: The Archangels, Sanat Kumara, and the Ancient of Days. I'd include Masakados, but I'm pretty sure you have to get the Neutral Route to try his quest. I'm not gunning for any particular alignment, I'm simply making the choices based on what I would do if I were in that situation.

IV was my intro the SMT franchise, but even then I could tell it was a unique series. Many of the messages it conveys are admittedly questionable to me, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the series and even forcing recommending others to try it out. Since we're talking about IV, I'll say it has great characters and a great story that develops according to your moral choices. The choices thing is what made me love the game so much because it really makes you feel involved with everything in its world.

As for the stats for my Flynn, I'm keeping most of them balanced for the time being. I think I'll be putting all of them to 100, then choose Magic and either Agility or Luck to concentrate on for the rest of the game. I might just keep all of them equal throughout though. I never really pick out specific demons, I just form my team based on what I have available to fuse and what I think looks cool ^_^ . For now at least, I won't be doing the DLC quests for nothing after all xD!

Magic is OP? Demifiend would like a word with you btw.

I never got the DLC for the game. I never actually beat it either. Like you I made choices purely based on how I would do them...and I ended up on the neutral route. it's the hardest of all of them so if you end up on it beware. It requires you to do ALL the sidequests in the game. This is why I haven't beaten it because some of the higher-end sidequests are monstrous even with my main character as powerful as he is along with some very powerful demons like Asmodeus.

I mostly winged it with demons but I always chose ones that would give me a decent boost without losing my heavy hitters.

Nocturne's a bit of an exception as far as magic vs phys goes. In most of the games magic is superior and skills like Pierce aren't exclusive to the main character (nor are they as overpowered). Hitoshura gets the best physical skills in the game. In every other game I've found magic destroys things, and the main character is usually a good backup healer as well. Sometimes a good main healer too.

If you really like your choices affecting the story the best one for that is Devil Survivor. It's much more story-centric, being an SRPG, and there are like six to eight different endings to get based on your choices and characters you recruit/save/kill/etc.

I've been playing a 2d platformer moba called awesomenauts for the better part of 2 years. There've been a few other games that I've gotten into, but nothing that's really lasted long.

Playing through Forza Horizon 1, as the second game sucked. 

Also trying to play Hearthstone but I just... can't do it...

And on the side I've been playing a little bit of Peggle. Just to relax and play a fun game.

I've been dabbling around a Super Metroid fansite lately playing all sorts of custom made hacks for it: some are fun some stink like rotten apples. I just picked up a game a co-worker wouldn't stop bucking me about because he said it was awesome. I now must agree that Shovel Knight is indeed awesome. So awesome I am doing a blind playthrough on YouTube for the fun of it. On top of that Terraria just recently updated so I am trying to get into that again: might do a video or two there

Dark Souls 2 is the game i am playing right now. Need a lot of patience for Souls games. :)

Nay, all you need is a bigass shield. :wub:

So far this has been my favorite in the series.

Currently? Halfway through a Soul Silver Nuzlocke, waiting on my opponent so I can finish that Chosen Run of Omega Ruby, replaying Deadpool, doing a wizard playthrough of Skyrim, three-heart challenge of Twilight Princess, and for the sake of "let's playing" racing a Chosen Run of Fire Red and going through Link's Awakening.... I play a lot of games at once...

Borderlands 2, I'm almost done with it. I got the Handsome collection a while ago and I've been 100%ing the games. I'm almost ready to move on to the Pre-Sequel.

I've been playing through the Sly Cooper trilogy that I got for my PS Vita. It's awesome! :D

Sly is one of my favorite franchises. I love how every mission in every game is something different, often with different characters. Sly 4 is easily the best in the series and I'd highly recommend it once you're done.

Right now I'm playing through Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Fire Emblem Awakening.  Both are really great games!

I wanna play Tropical Freeze but I don't have a Wii-U yet. Such is the life of a gamer who spends all his money on games. :(

Borderlands 2, I'm almost done with it. I got the Handsome collection a while ago and I've been 100%ing the games. I'm almost ready to move on to the Pre-Sequel.

I only have Borderlands 1. Should I bother to play it at all (I've played it for a few hours but didn't get far) or just go for the Handsome Collection to get the superior versions?

Sly is one of my favorite franchises. I love how every mission in every game is something different, often with different characters. Sly 4 is easily the best in the series and I'd highly recommend it once you're done.

I wanna play Tropical Freeze but I don't have a Wii-U yet. Such is the life of a gamer who spends all his money on games. :(

I only have Borderlands 1. Should I bother to play it at all (I've played it for a few hours but didn't get far) or just go for the Handsome Collection to get the superior versions?

Sadly Borderlands 1 is not included in the Handsome collection. However I can say beyond a doubt that Borderlands 2 is superior to the first game.

Heh, tell me about it!  I'd be swimming in cash if video games didn't exist.  Then again, you can always start saving up for the NX. :D  But if you ever do decide on purchasing a Wii U, definitely pick up a copy of TF!  It's one of best games out for the system.

@@Key Sharkz,

Well that's...stupid. Why bother with a Collection if it's not gonna have all the games in it when the series is so small?

I've heard mixed stories about Borderlands 1 vs 2. I'll have to play them myself to really know.

@@Lauriferous,

Is NX that new console they said they were gonna make because the Wii-U is failing? I don't know anything about it. If it can play Wii-U games it'll render the Wii-U obsolete though. I have a lot of Wii-U games I want still.

Currently been playing through a fanmade Pokemon game called Insurgence. It's a spiritual sequel to two previous Pokemon games they made (Omicron & Zeta), made using RPG Maker. It's a very well made game for a fan project, especially one using RPG maker which I've heard is pretty awkward to use. Still uses the old sprite graphics of the Gen. III era rather then the updated modern ones, but I personally like that look, it just feels more 'Pokemon' to me. The game isn't actually fully finished yet (You can get as far as the 6th gym) but it's still packed with tons of content that already rivals the playtime of the official Pokemon games. If your in any way a fan of the Pokemon series I would highly recommend you give this game a look. :)

Well that's...stupid. Why bother with a Collection if it's not gonna have all the games in it when the series is so small? I've heard mixed stories about Borderlands 1 vs 2. I'll have to play them myself to really know.

It more or less was meant to follow the Handsome Jack story line, thus why they called it "The Handsome Collection". Maybe they felt Borderlands 1 was too old to port?