1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This was a really awesome episode.

Poor Shining Armor and Cadence.

I found it amusing how King Sombra was defeated RIGHT AFTER he got into the kingdom!

"A spy?! How did she know?"

~Pinkie Pie laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

I like this episode, but I feel like something did not go through with King Sombra during the development phase. Either they made him too malicious and had to tone it down, or they really did not know how to write him when he finally showed up. I mean, you have a Cool Design, Dark Magic, Male villain, so This is probably the only episode where I desperatley want to know What went wrong?

I mean the writers ARE competent, right? So where did the thought that they didn't need to try that hard on Sombra come into play? Who made the call that he shouldn't get any real lines? Who decided to kill him instead of having the elements just banish him or whatever? Whose idea was it to put in more jokes than screen time on the freaking villain!?

I like this episode, but I feel like something did not go through with King Sombra during the development phase. Either they made him too malicious and had to tone it down, or they really did not know how to write him when he finally showed up. I mean, you have a Cool Design, Dark Magic, Male villain, so This is probably the only episode where I desperatley want to know What went wrong?

I mean the writers ARE competent, right? So where did the thought that they didn't need to try that hard on Sombra come into play? Who made the call that he shouldn't get any real lines? Who decided to kill him instead of having the elements just banish him or whatever? Whose idea was it to put in more jokes than screen time on the freaking villain!?

I bet Hasbro made sure the writers didn't make Sombra too bad, because they like to ruin things like that. It's a shame, sure, but I still hope it can be rectified by a future episode that gives him some backstory.

• 4 weeks later...

I mean. I was much surprised to see Princess Celestia yelling at Twilight like she is her mom.

I didnt even think it would happen.

But i did notice that she did the wrong spell on the door. I cried of that stained glass of sombra defeating Twilight in the fear vision.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I honestly think Spike should be the new ruler of the Crystal Empire, like come on! He saved the empire! ALL HAIL SPIKE! ALL HAIL SPIKE! ~Tri-Dart

post-17346-0-51885900-1372434086.jpg

Edited by Tri-Dart

• 2 weeks later...

All hail Spike? Please help me hide... :P

Seriously, it just wouldn't be the same. Spike wouldn't stay as Twilight's lowly slave assistant, if he were all of a sudden, a prince.

Cadance was much better suited for the role.

I feel like one of the very few who relatively enjoyed these episodes. Sure, I don't really like Sombra, but I liked the events that took place in Crystal Empire. It was a good ending for Spike.

Rating: 7/10

Meh episode. Discord. Chrysalis. And now this...Growling idiot that never does anything.

Beep boop waffle kumquat Doritos cake.

That's the greatest argument I have ever viewed with my eyeballs.

---------

I think it was a pretty good episode. King Sombra was a cool concept, but that's about it. Nothing else to like, or not like about him. He wasn't developed AT ALL. Friendship is Magic is usually great with character development, but this time around, it was a sub-par display of development, if you can even call it that.

(edited)

That's the greatest argument I have ever viewed with my eyeballs.

---------

I think it was a pretty good episode. King Sombra was a cool concept, but that's about it. Nothing else to like, or not like about him. He wasn't developed AT ALL. Friendship is Magic is usually great with character development, but this time around, it was a sub-par display of development, if you can even call it that.

I actually gave it some slack when I thought he'd return in the finale...But nope. Nada. Just "I'M EVIL, GRRRRRRRRRRR, I'M DEAD"

The rest of it was...Ehhh, alright. Love the Crystal Empire, had a good song, and any Cadence time is great. But...Bleh. You had two episodes to be a great villain, Sombra. :(

Edited by Xanatos

What I didn't understand is, what was covering Shining Armor's horn? And, when Twilight was sliding under the staircase, with the way she was sliding, she would've been going down! But, this is one of my favorite episodes because Princess Cadence is in it! YAAA! :)

post-17886-0-25023300-1373941184_thumb.jpg

I honestly thought this was a good episode, but the worst introductory episode. 

I thought it wouldn't have been good without Shining Armor or Cadence. It was a little cheesy to me.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly loved this episode. Do I know why? No. The background music was awesome, I for some reason loved the story, it did really make sense for me. It's also nice to see a few darker elements then normally in the show, like Sombra actually dying. I really don't understand why people don't like this episode? The songs are catchy and the story does make sense IMO. Yeah, Sombra had almost no character development, I do agree on that, but I can't be the only one who loved this episode, right? RIGHT?

P.S: This episode will always keep reminding me of Gak... :c

There was one thing I didn't like about this episode...

....and that is that only spike and Twilight made it to the stain glass! Where are the mane six? They just ignored Mane six saying they didn't participate enough? But they did their best to cheer up the crystal ponies!

But then again, it was meant to be Twilight's test, so...

IDK

• Brohoof 2

There's something wrong with this episode. Luna, as nightmare moon, returns from a thousand year banishment before this episode started. Then the Crystal Empire returns from a similar banishment. Celestia said that she and Luna defeated King Sombra, but that's impossible unless 1, Luna's Banishment was cut short, 2 Luna came back from the moon for a day or something to defeat Sombra, just to return, or 3, Celestia lied to us all.

Points up ++

The songs were good, a little silly but good. The idea of expanding the world of Equestria to a new legendary area. More about the history of Equestria. The Crystal ponies are charming even as slaves, The exploration of Twi's and Spike's fears. Dragons Buck Yeah!!, TROW YOUR WIFE BUCK YEAH!!!!

I for one, love this episode. I don't really like Spike, though.. I guess Hasbro thought he needed more appreciation by saving the Empire. This was a great episode. :3

This episode was awesome for being a season opening episode. The songs were great, and the storyline was also great. And crystal ponies, who would've knew another pony type would appear like that? 

The only problem that was a bit downer for me was the villian. It seemed like he didn't get as much development as he could've had and barely got any screen time as an actual pony, instead of some floating cloud of dark mist.

This episode was awesome for being a season opening episode. The songs were great, and the storyline was also great. And crystal ponies, who would've knew another pony type would appear like that? 

The only problem that was a bit downer for me was the villian. It seemed like he didn't get as much development as he could've had and barely got any screen time as an actual pony, instead of some floating cloud of dark mist.

if Sombra was only a floating cloud of dark mist then Sauron was only a flaming eye who could not even move and his minions only follow him because of his relation ship with morgoth
  • Brohoof 1

There's something wrong with this episode. Luna, as nightmare moon, returns from a thousand year banishment before this episode started. Then the Crystal Empire returns from a similar banishment. Celestia said that she and Luna defeated King Sombra, but that's impossible unless 1, Luna's Banishment was cut short, 2 Luna came back from the moon for a day or something to defeat Sombra, just to return, or 3, Celestia lied to us all.

Or maybe it could just be somewhere prior to the events of Luna turning into Nightmare Moon? I mean, 1000 years doesn't mean 1k years exactly. It could've been around 1025 years ago when Sombra was defeated, and Luna could've turned into Nightmare Moon 10 years later or something?

Ok, forgive me if I sound blasphemous right now.  But I like Sombra's plan better than Queen Chrysalis's.

Now before you flame me, hear me out. 

Sombra's plan may have been a bit basic, but at least it was comprehensible.  And he worked logically to accomplish his goal.

With Queen Chrysalis, you get a plan that, when you break it down, makes no real sense. 

That's just my two bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was a good series. But the only thing left for me to understand - that Twilight Sparkle attached too much importance to the fact of who will bring the heart. After all, she still did all the work on its quest anyway.
Celestia would be nice to finally give credibility to Twilight Sparkle, she has long deserved it.

Edited by unil
  • Brohoof 2

Not much to Sombra at the point of time in the present. He was a shadow force that wanted to reclaim his kingdom.

Ok, forgive me if I sound blasphemous right now.  But I like Sombra's plan better than Queen Chrysalis's.

Now before you flame me, hear me out. 

Sombra's plan may have been a bit basic, but at least it was comprehensible.  And he worked logically to accomplish his goal.

With Queen Chrysalis, you get a plan that, when you break it down, makes no real sense. 

That's just my two bits.

Chrysalis purpose was to infiltratrate undercover to disable the shield.

Chrysalis masqurades as Cadance to freely move around Canterlot devouring the magic power of Shining Armor. He gets weaker as his shield is the only thing keeping her hungry Changlings. She can then follow up by taking out Celestia and Luna. It was a pretty easy take over if the Mane 6 didn't interfere.

Edited by Singe

Chrysalis purpose was to infiltratrate undercover to disable the shield.

Chrysalis masqurades as Cadance to freely move around Canterlot devouring the magic power of Shining Armor. He gets weaker as his shield is the only thing keeping her hungry Changlings. She can then follow up by taking out Celestia and Luna. It was a pretty easy take over if the Mane 6 didn't interfere.

But the question is, who made the threat against Canterlot that Shining Armor mentions? If Chrysalis was supposed to be undercover, why did she threaten Canterlot? If she could get in, why didn't she bring some of her Changelings in with her for support? And she was clearly surprised that she managed to beat Celestia. If she wasn't sure she could win, doesn't that make her entire plan a huge gamble? There are still too many gaps to be plugged to make it a workable plan.

• Brohoof 2