Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gak: 100% Annoying!

kirbyboi

Recently, I had heard about the Gak memes about MLP. For those of you who don't know about this meme, it's a gooey substance (similar to Silly Putty) that kids can buy and play with. It was brought back by Nickolodeon, and aired numerous times during the MLP season 3 Crystal Empire episodes. Research the 'Gak' product to see what it looks like.

Because of the many Gak commercials shown during the Crystal Empire episodes, numerous memes have sprouted. Here are some examples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, although showing two memes of Gak may not seem like much, but it's getting old and repetitive. I personally do not like the memes, and I just want to this to end as soon as possible. Never knew I'd be this annoying! :P Some MLP viewers happen to like the memes, which leads to all the posts. However, i'm guessing this will die out pretty soon, and I hope it does. Tired of every MLP-related meme being Gak-based.

So, do you really think the fandom made a smart choice on creating this trend of memes? I don't want to start anything, I just want to see your opinions.

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 20

Giving Gak any form of attention, whether good or bad, will not help prevent it from becoming a meme. I would think negative attention would actually give more motivation for people to make it meme, as a sense of trollishness. It's the same thing as Dolan.

• Brohoof 8

I don't know a single Brony who has actually bought some Gak after seeing the advert during the season 3 premiere. Kind of funny when you think about how we practically started our own advertising campaign for Gak (the memes) without actually getting much Gak sold. (from what I've seen)

Posted Image

Smart choice? It's more like the livestream damaged some bronies' sanity and drives them to make Gak memes to cope with their mental damage. Then some artists jumped on the bandwagon to get some heat for themselves.

In a few weeks we will forget Gak even exists :o

• Brohoof 16

I've never been very fond of memes of any kind. The Gak thing got way out of hand ridiculously fast, and I just hope it blows over as fast as it came. Sure, it was funny the first couple times, but it started getting old after a couple thousand times.

• Brohoof 1

When It comes to "annoying memes" like arrow in the knee and such. I've never seen the problem.

Whether it's arrow in the knee or over 9000, it's like people just want to get angry.

It's just text. Why get mad at all and stop people from using it?

I have never been annoyed by any annoying meme. I always try to make the best of it. I mean, from what you guys are saying, I"m supposed to be annoyed. What is making you get annoyed so much that I can't see.

Plus, the thing that makes this different from things like arrow in the knee and over 9000 is more room for originality.

Look at those two pics the op posted. You can't do that with arrow in the knee. Who as a normal person would've thought as celestia with gak for hair?

Gak is special. Unlike all the forced and annoying memes of the past, you CAN make some original and humorous stuff with gak.

• Brohoof 1

Look at those two pics the op posted. You can't do that with arrow in the knee.

Posted Image

It's just text. Why get mad at all and stop people from using it?

The real problem comes when people just won't stop referring to the Gak, regardless whether the situation calls for a joke or not. (the same reason we automatically facepalmed when someone said "but then I took X to the Y)

Just like that someone who won't stop spamming "GAK GAK GAK GAK" in any kind of livestreams.

• Brohoof 4

snip

First off, was that picture suppose to be an arrow in the knee joke, cause I can't see it.

2nd off. Ok? So ruining the fun for everyone because a select group of people are the problem is suddenly the answer?

Because what you guys are saying is gak in general is annoying.

First off, was that picture suppose to be an arrow in the knee joke, cause I can't see it.

Do you even Skyrim? Posted Image

I can't really blame you for not knowing anything behind the meme, though.

2nd off. Ok? So ruining the fun for everyone because a select group of people are the problem is suddenly the answer?

Depends. Can you have some fun with Gak meme without reciting some overused one-liner?

If you can, then good for you, you're not the majority :P

Depends. Can you have some fun with Gak meme without reciting some overused one-liner?

If you can, then good for you, you're not the majority :P

Now here's the problem and the reason we have the annoying majority. Not everyone can. I can't draw so I probably couldn't.

Because they can't, people still want to show their support. So of course, they use the annoying one liner. (Which again, doesn't annoy me).

Now I don't say that phrase over and over. If I could draw then I probably would do something original for gak.

However, again, that's the problem.

GAK was funny for all of an hour. Then it got boring. I agree with Sugar Plum on this one; we shouldn't give it any attention whatsoever.

Edited by Dash Is Best Pony

I'm alright with this. I thought it was pretty funny at first. But now it is kind of starting to get annoying. Like people have already said, it should die out on its own pretty soon. It SHOULD...

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, Bronies just do it to troll. They think it's funny, or just poking fun, but some troll as well. It's annoying as heck, and I sure hope it doesn't. The only Gak meme I like is "Ask Gak Pony" on Tumblr.

That's the thing. The Gak meme was created because the whole commercial was basically a one-liner. The whole thing was "GAK GAK GAK!''

Personally, it doesn't bother me. If it's a meme, let it be a meme. Nothing we can do about it.

Think of it this way. The art that OP posted are totally different from each other. Even the things they say are different. The only things similar are ponies and Gak. How is that different than any other pony art? It's the same as socks, sweaters or wet mane.. The art is different, the subject the same. I can't find what you dislike about it. If it was like other memes, where you use the same picture and just change the words, I could see your point. But it isn't. The artists create their own thing, using the same inspiration.

• Brohoof 2

i personally think its still hilarious, and to me it will always be funny, i love memes and such, and most jokes never get old for me, heck i still laugh at arrow to the knee jokes, and i will probably still be laughing at gak jokes this time next year, once funny always funny

This thread appears to be some manner of random (but strangely enjoyable) nonsense, or something spammy of the sort. Thus, it has been sentenced to the Forum Lounge section of Cloudsdale Colosseum. This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

This thread appears to be some manner of random (but strangely enjoyable) nonsense,

>talking about a forced meme from the Season 3 premiere and how it is annoying and overused

>random nonsense

Sometimes I wonder if you mods even know what's the difference between random shitspam and a discussion about random shit

• Brohoof 1

>talking about a forced meme from the Season 3 premiere and how it is annoying and overused

>random nonsense

Sometimes I wonder if you mods even know what's the difference between random shitspam and a discussion about random shit

I'm sorry if you disagree, I just thought that this topic wasn't well suited for Sugarcube, if you disagree then report that you want it elsewhere, simple as that. This Gak meme isn't really a serious thing anyway.

You know, what saddens me is that there are a lot more memeable things that happened in the actual episode than this Gak thing that was only mildly amusing if you watched the streams, which a great many of us--myself included, primarily because my internet connection has no chance of keeping up with them--did not.

For instance, Cadance. Cadance being tossed by Shining Armor. Sure, we've seen GIFs floating around of Cadance going straight into the dirt, and there was that Cadance Toss flash game, but that's about as far as that one went.

Then there's Pinkie's Fluttershy suit. Once again, I saw a few tiny bits of art using it for laughs, but that was it.

I'm disappointed because this fandom chose to latch onto a product that had nothing to do with the show, instead of something from the actual episode. For pony's sake, people, if you're going to make a pony-based meme...could it actually have something to do with ponies?

• Brohoof 3

@@Pixiesong,

100% annoying huh? You are going to completely just ruin any potential because of the annoying side of it? Before you ask: "What potential?" Those two pictures are proof enough. Tell me, do you see the annoying one liner anywhere in there? Do you see no creativity?

cause I see no one liner and two pictures that made me laugh.

@,

@,

Now you guys. Do you see those two pictures? I don't see someone trying to troll, I see people trying to make a good picture that make other people laugh. Why would someone go to that much effort just to troll?

@@Kyronea,

Created by bronies does not equal Pony meme.

Also, you are implying that people who like gak also don't care or even thought about special scenes in the episode.

• Brohoof 1

I think that memes in general (including Gak) can be quite funny when used in the right circumstances. It's incredibly annoying someone spamming the word "GAK" in MLP chats, but used at the right time subtly it could be quite witty.

It's like the double rainbow meme. As soon as it was included in games like COD: Black Ops and Borderlands 2, it gave people a few chuckles because it was kind of subtle and not thrusted into your face.

It's also quite funny how influential memes can be: If you hear something over and over it will stick in your memory! If someone saw some goo in a new episode of season 3, they wouldn't think of smooze, they would think of gak.

• Brohoof 2