Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If the show was more combat oriented

Princes  Cadance

I just drew a quick sketch and I was thinking what if the show became more elaborate in combat. I know there are some scenes that ponies fight but if the show became more focused on combat with swords and magic etc woud it still be worth watching. Not like ponies dying but just more close combat if you know what I mean.

I drew a sketch (ik it isn't good because I've never sketched ponies before) and I would imagine it would look something like this.

So what would your thoughts be?

Posted Image

Here is another sketch

post-985-0-01312800-1353964631_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and tell me if you would like it or not?

• Brohoof 4

I would be really interested to see how they would handle combat in the show. I never liked the idea of the ponies holding swords in their mouths... but that's just me. I know for my fan comic I'm putting together some idea of how combat would happen, because I'm a serious action junkie when it comes to medieval warfare! I think the only ones that would really use swords are unicorns, and ponies would instead be completely dressed in armor and treated as tanks pretty much. The pegasi would just be arial reinforcement of sorts.

Nice sketches btw! There aren't enough battle pony fanart!

• Brohoof 2

well, for starters, the combat might be limited, considering ponies have a more restrained movement compared to humans(then again, its a cartoon, so this can be overlooked). I would prefer to see more combat in the show regardless :) and the drawings portray such combat effectively, even if it was sketched up.

well, for starters, the combat might be limited, considering ponies have a more restrained movement compared to humans(then again, its a cartoon, so this can be overlooked). I would prefer to see more combat in the show regardless :) and the drawings portray such combat effectively, even if it was sketched up.

i dont think the ponys are very limited when it comes to movement as prooven by this scene from near the end of the cutie mark Chronicles

post-9988-0-84106700-1353967178_thumb.jpg

if rainbow dash were a pony from our universe both of her front legs would be dislocated or broken by sitting the way she is in that picture.

• Brohoof 2

i dont think the ponys are very limited when it comes to movement as prooven by this scene from near the end of the cutie mark Chronicles

if rainbow dash were a pony from our universe both of her front legs would be dislocated or broken by sitting the way she is in that picture.

but the arent ponies from our universe, which is why i said this can be overlooked. still, the fighting in mlp should be interesting to see, if done more in the future :)
  • Brohoof 1

I immediately just imagined this scene from Harry Potter, but with Twilight Sparkle and Trixie instead.

Posted Image

I doubt they'd ever do anything like this in canon, though (although the episode coming this Saturday might come close).

• Brohoof 1

I think I'm fine with the current direction they take on random fighting and especially I love all the random funny none serious fights and I also love watching twilight get pumbled by the stuff from the sky in "feeling pinkie keen" :P reminds me of older cartoons and the such, and really I love cartoons who know how to not always take themselves super serious. I guess thats why i love MLP so much :D

Oh and your sketches are lovely :D

yes, ponies and guns would be awesome. they could make an animated series similar to Cat Shit One, but with the Mane 6 (Pony Team 6?). id watch it and possibly financially back it as well. im writing this in my head as i type this reply lol.

I immediately just imagined this scene from Harry Potter, but with Twilight Sparkle and Trixie instead.

Posted Image

I doubt they'd ever do anything like this in canon, though (although the episode coming this Saturday might come close).

Posted Image

Close enough.

Anyway besides magic duels between unicorns, I don't really see much appeal in combat with ponies using their mouths/teeth. I'd rather they just screw anatomy and pick up weapons with their hooves >_<

• Brohoof 1

I'm cool with the amount their doing now. I find it very loony tunes like, and thats working for everyone. It would be awesome to have a more combat related theme for one episode, or one scene, but not forever.

I would be really interested to see how they would handle combat in the show. I never liked the idea of the ponies holding swords in their mouths... but that's just me. I know for my fan comic I'm putting together some idea of how combat would happen, because I'm a serious action junkie when it comes to medieval warfare...

Well, we know ponies can hold spears (a pegasus throwing one while swooping down could do some serious damage). Unicorns could do all kinds of stuff with magic and a fully armored earth pony would probably be tough enough to simply trample an opponent with the metal shoe-thingies they got on the show.

Apart from that you got catapults, lighting, possibly and cannons, if you find someone stupid enough to attack Equestria that is.

I've seen an image (I think it was from Poor Yorick's Equestria Divided) that was an armored Earth Pony with a sword attached to its helmet, a bit like a unicorn horn. I think that would be the most likely way they would use swords, it would be rediculous to hold them in their mouths.

Edited by Descant

It's actually really fun trying to come up with legitimate ways that battles would ensue.

I've seen an image (I think it was from Poor Yorick's Equestria Divided) that was an armored Earth Pony with a sword attached to its helmet, a bit like a unicorn horn. I think that would be the most likely way they would use swords, it would be rediculous to hold them in their mouths.

I can't wait to start releasing the pages to my comic because I have some neat ideas of how the armored ponies would look and how they would fight. I just don't want to give any of it away yet xP But I will say that it is similar to the horn idea.

• 2 weeks later...

If the show was more combat oriented, each of the Mane Six would have a unique fighting style.

Rainbow Dash: Straight up brawler. As already demonstrated, in both Lesson Zero and A Canterlot Wedding, Rainbow is already pretty effective in close combat. Combine that with her ability to fly and other innate pegasus powers, she would definitely be the group's "designated ass-kicker." Or "the big guy" for you tropers. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy

Weakness?: Clip her wings. Really hard to do given her speed and skill, but rendering her flightless in some way would be the surest way to beat her. (May all but require magic.) While certainly not helpless grounded, the lion's share of Rainbow's threat comes from her flying, and additional abilities that grants her.

Applejack: Along the same line as Dash, but perhaps focusing a bit more on defense and endurance. Then following up with her Applebucking skills. In addition, she would probably use her lasso as a weapon. Making her a good combo of practical/technical fighter.

Weakness?: Hit her hard and fast! Given her strength and endurance, prolonged combat is sure to be disastrous. But a sneak attack might be able to get her down, even if it doesn't she'll be much weaker then if she was ready to fight.

Rarity: Already deceptively skilled and willing to throw down (See the pilot and A Canterlot Wedding​) Rarity would probably use a more elegant style. Seeming to dance among her foes while delivering graceful strikes. If weapons were to be involved, she might use something light and sharp. A dagger for instance. Maybe a dagger fashioned out of a gem. Sharp, strong, AND beautiful . . . just like her.

Weakness?: Fight dirty. (Or "pragmatic" if you wanna be polite.) Come at her from odd angles or throw dirt in her eyes. (That would throw her off her game for more than one reason!) A form fighter like Rarity is vulnerable when attacked in a way that is not "pre-defined."

Twilight: Sort of falling into the "squishy wizard" mold, Twi would probably rely on her potent magical powers over physicality. Still she would definitely be a force to reckon with in a fight. Between her formidable telekinesis, hard hitting blasts (strong enough to break crystals), and variety of options her spell repertoire gives her; an enemy would be hard pressed to even land a hit on her.

Weakness?: Whether the storm, go in for the kill. Given the above Twilight may also qualify as a "glass cannon." Capable of taking on an Ursa Minor with mere thoughts, but will break if you sneeze on her. While certainly not "frail" Twilight's magic just so outpaces her strength. Close in on her quickly, and take her out before she can teleport or otherwise counter. Impossible? Well certainly difficult! IT'S MAGIC! IT'S LIKE COMBAT CHEAT CODES!

Pinkie Pie: Probably would be the most reliant on weapons, not that she would have difficulty procuring one if she needed it. She already carries her signature Party Cannon around with her. (Somehow?) And let's not forget,

RD: "Pinkie! Where'd you get a hoof grenade?"

PP: "I have grenades stashed all over Ponyville! In case of grenade emergencies."

Don't tell me she wouldn't! Between her comical, but still effective arsenal, and near precognitive Pinkie-sense; she has both the perfect defense as well as a devastating offense.

Weakness?: Strength in numbers. (Ironically.) Another tough one, but Pinkie might be able to be overcome if overwhelmed. Even if her Pinkie sense makes her aware of her attackers, it would get to the point that she wouldn't be able to react quickly enough to them. In addition, after awhile Pinkie may run out of ammo. (I say may because she runs on cartoon logic. Have you ever seen Elmer Fudd reload his shotgun?) Ultimately, numbers and/or prolonged combat would be her undoing.

Fluttershy: Without a doubt the least willing to fight, even defensively, Fluttershy would probably rely less on conventional combat and more a combination of evasion and animal handling. Angel would probably be her "weapon" mostly but their are probably other animals that would come to her defense if called. (And for those I hear snickering about Angel, I refer you to Monty Python.) In addition, we've seen Fluttershy misdirect the Changelings during the scuffle in Canterlot. As well as ducking and causing one to trip over her. So "deadly dodging" would probably be a skill of her's. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadlyDodging Lastly, if cornered, there is always The Stare! Indeed, Fluttershy's greatest weapon. She would be able to intimidate her foes into not attacking at all, or else stunning them long enough for her friends (pony or animal) to make an attack while they are wide open.

Weakness?: Divide and conquer. A good rule of hoof for all of them as they are more formidable as a team, but would apply to Fluttershy the most. Probably the easiest of the Six to beat, one would need to lure her to a place where she's isolated from Angel and far enough that no creatures could hear her cry for help. (Yes, I'm crying whilst typing this scenario.) Fluttershy's Stare also requires that she sees her target. An invisible attacker could take her, or a decoy could come at her directly while another comes from behind.

To add others to the above, (what? I got time to kill.)

Spike: Feral onslaught. His scuffle against the Diamond Dogs certainly proves he can fight. Spike's fiery breath has proven to burn a whole book to ashes (Owl's Well that Ends Well) and produce enough concussive force to knock Twilight across the room. (It's About Time) So he can also use it offensively, if he were so inclined. Also, his claws could be effective weapons. Again, not used very much due to his rather tame occupation. But we've certainly seen the tremendous amounts of damage he is upwardly capable of. (Secret of my Excess) All that being said, Spike's biggest advantage is that he's almost indestructible. His armored scales mean there's little that can harm him. The other dragons even imply he might be tough by DRAGON standards!

Weakness?: Child's play. Spike is, repeatedly pointed out to be, a baby dragon. His small size means that his physical strength isn't that much. (He often has trouble with particularly heavy books.) Trapping or ensnaring him would take him out of the fight. Prolonged combat may also work, as he'll eventually get tired and need sleep. If he goes Godzilla though? . . . Call for heavy artillery shelling.

Gilda: The less said of this b**ch the better! But she does present somewhat of an X factor for the series as a whole due to being one of only two mentioned Griffons. We don't see Gilda fight, but she shows she's more than willing to back up the threats she makes. Being nearly as fast and agile as Rainbow already makes her a considerable threat. Add that to her strength and talons, she would be one nasty cat to tangle with. One unique ability she demonstrates is a roar, loud enough to create a wind. This could certainly be used for intimidation on the right targets.

Weakness?: Rile her up. Oddly, getting her angry might be the best way to take her down. She'll attack a foe more intensely  but she'll also make mistakes. An assured tactic would be to plan ahead and set up traps. Once she's good and angry she'll blindly stumble through them like those two goons in Home Alone.

Iron Will: -is his name. Training ponies is his game! Because of his sales pitch/stage persona, that apparently carries over to his normal life. He may use a Professional Wrestling inspired style. Choke holds, pile drivers, and leg drops! We can see from him effortlessly tearing the boards nailed to Fluttershy's door that he certainly has the strength to back it up. Not to mention his goat assistants. They help in his seminar, who says they couldn't tag team him in combat? His monstrous strength and rough attitude would make him quite a bruiser.

Weakness?: Wrestling's fake. (cue booing) All that being said. He gets beat by Fluttershy. Not only does she talk him down, he considers that her disposition might be the better one to have. For all his bluster and "kick 'em when they're down" preaching, he may be all talk and no fight. If he IS taking his opponent seriously though, one's best bet is to hit and run. Wear him down with quick assaults and retreat before he can retaliate. A pegasus would be his worst nightmare. (Fittingly enough.) While not a complete pushover, Iron Will may be deceptively easy to beat.

Shining Armor: Right to the top of the list of "not to be f**ed with," Shining Armor is probably one of the most formidable opponents in a more violent Equestria. Shining Armor's most impressive display of power is projecting a protective shield that can cover an entire city. Presumably he can make it more localized to protect only his person. He also has military training so he would be a far bigger physical threat than his sister. Lastly, he's Captain of the Guard! We can see from A Canterlot Wedding Part 1 that when Twilight tries to approach him personally; the entire regiment are ready to engage the pony who, to them, could have been a potential assassin. (They were on the watch for Changelings.) Shining's men sure are loyal to him.

Weakness?: . . . . I got nothing! Shining Armor certainly isn't invincible  We've seen him bested twice, but both were very powerful evils that took steps to specifically remove him as a threat! (One relying on subterfuge and mind rape rather than direct confrontation even!) Between his martial prowess, magical might, and loyal troops; one's best bet might be just poisoning his food or planting a bomb in his office.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

If it was more combat oriented the cast would have to all be males.  Also there should be devil hay that they eat and give them powers and the main stallion would eat it and gain stretch powers and be a rubber stallion

Edited by Hollowshield
  • Brohoof 1

If it was more combat oriented the cast would have to all be males.  Also there should be devil hay that they eat and give them powers and the main stallion would eat it and gain stretch powers and be a rubber stallion

Nice One Piece reference, but I don't think they we would have to have an all male Mane 6 cast the show would be a bit different though.

• Brohoof 1