Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if ponies had a national sport?

Appledash lover

so i had this idea what if ponys had some sport not running or horseshoes what would it be called what would the rules be and how would they play with magic or would it ba an all ponys play sport would it be a ball or what and would it invole wearing any equipment.where would the stadium be and what would the proffesionals cutie marks look like

also i am starting a daily post called (What if...) i will be posting daily questions that will usually be random

hope to see you reply regularlyPosted Image

I think soccer would be a good sport for ponies to play, it suits thier physical nature as it's mainly kicking. They could even have their version of the World Cup with teams from the Changelings, the Griffons and Crystal Empire taking part, among others.

Edited by PonyHag1
  • Brohoof 2

*blinks a few times* That was a nice run-on....

But, back to the topic. I sort of thought of hoofball, similar to how Rainbow Dash kept herself from being bored in "Read it and Weep". No equipment however, and this is sort of a free sport. No stadium whatsoever.

• Brohoof 1

I see too many issues with a single national sport.  This would mean all ponies play it.  It's unfair for pegasi and unicorns to still play, unless they were each assigned specific roles.  The issue with unicorns, though, is that they may be more likely to cheat.  Not exactly that, but they have more ability to cheat.  They also have less of a chance of getting caught, because they can do it on the sly.  For example, if the game involved a ball, a unicorn could levitate it or curve it to have an advantage.  This is especially a problem when multiple unicorns would do that.  Unless they were able to set up some thing to deal with such issues, such as a limit as to what type of magic, and the length it can reach, unicorns may just have to not play, or to have their magic temporarily disabled for the game's length.

I could also see unicorns accidentally popping the soccer balls if they were to play soccer . . .

Edited by Marceline

I'd say... polo. They could strap the polo sticks onto their hooves (so no need for magic) and then take turns being the "horse" and the "rider". The irony would be just what Sweetie Belle likes to see.

Edited by Full Spectrum

A overall fair sport for all different types of Ponies to take part in would have to be stock car racing. This sport would not discriminate against those with horns, wings, or neither. Ponies do have the ability to drive a automobile considering they just have to be able to steer, shift & press pedals down; which they all could easily do. 

All the driver would have to do is steer, clutch, shift, gas & brake. Which would be simple considering extensions could be placed on the pedals in order for the driver to press the pedals down properly. Steering would be easy to with

There wouldn't really be any way Ponies with wings or horns to cheat considering the rules of stock car racing would apply in general to everyone. 

And to those who say "Them there ponies don't got the automobiles, so this here won't work." 

anything is possible with the magic of friendship.

• Brohoof 1

Hoofball for Earth Ponies. It's like Rugby except the ball is tougher.

Snatch for Unicorns. It's like capture the flag, except the field is several kilometers long and also has monsters in it which attack any player or referee.

Freestyle Aeroperformance for Pegasi. It's like real-world Freestle air racing, except with tighter obstacles and more complex routines.

I think a team sport where unicorns, earth ponies and pegasi have their own role in the team would be nice

Other than that I see no problem with sports as long as they have certain rules(f.e. the marathon in running of the leaves) :)

Well, Rarity's dad (whom I will continue to call Tom Foalts) has a Rugby-/American football for a cutiemark, so that's a thing.

I'd imagine as long as there are precautions (anti magic field, wings tied to body) this could work, but would still favour earth ponies.

I guess, each of the three tribes would have their own traditional sport.

Quidditch for pegasi. They could use their wings as a propeller on broomsticks and chase a golden snitch. You know that would be epic.

That would shake the books up a bit :)

Lee Jordan: "And we're off and this is promising to be a very promising ma... oh looks like Rainbow Dash caught the snitch. Gryffindor wins again."

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...