Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Guns exist in Equestria!

I_wesley125

I think there are guns. Why? Because they've been named. So yeah, there are guns. What are they used for? I dunno, a war I guess? Fighting crime? Skeet shooting? I don't know, but there are guns, it's a fact

• Brohoof 1

I believe MLP's technology is more at the level of 17th to 19th century, so I imagine there would be basic guns (and possibly tanks); especially considering this is a world with magic.

Why do the royal guard use spears then? Pffft, the Vatican Swiss Guard still use medieval weaponry. It's ceremonial.

And how are guns used? Well er...ever read Fallout: Equestria?

And also, ponies are always gripping things they shouldn't.

• Brohoof 1

Tanks I doubt exist since they require gasoline to operate which has yet to be shown even in simple cars or what not.

Rifles and what not (handheld weapons) likely do not exist either since only unicorns could use them

Cannons on the other hand could....

Unlike the other two, cannons have been around as long as muskets but don't have tiny triggers. Pinkie has a party cannon giving some evidence that the idea may be somewhat known of. Likewise, since they do have a military, I doubt ponies with 1800's tech wouldn't be able to fathom a military cannon.

Their tanks might be steam-powered. Ponies have steam-powered trains, so they definitely have steam engines.

Furthermore, we've also seen plastic items on numerous occasions. While it's possible to make plastic out of vegetation, it is far more common to make it out of crude oil. So it's possible crude oil might exist in Equestria.

On the note of handheld firearms... if they have guns, who says they have to resemble human guns? I can imagine some kind of gun that is mounted to a pony's body (like the tuba in "The Best Night Ever") and has a trigger mechanism that hangs down in front of the pony. To fire the gun, the pony would lift a front leg, insert it into a loop, and pull it down.

I doubt there are guns in MLP. The reason they use phrases such as "Like a tank" and "fast as a bullet" is because they're recognizable to the viewer.

Following the logic that said phrases prove the existence of guns and tanks, then what about in the series premiere 2-parter, where Pinkie Pie "speaks to the viewer" before the screen wipe at the end? How about in "Over a Barrel" when Pinkie Pie actually prevents the screen wipe from closing on her, directly interacting with it? Does that prove that, after certain events, a black shroud covers the entire world?

Apologies for being way too serious. It's what I do best. :P

This is Pinkie Pie we're talking about - she is well known for her ability to break the fourth wall.

• Brohoof 1

We had a topic exactly like this so long ago.

It is breaking the 4th wall, that is all.

Think of how they would even use guns?

If they had guns, don't you think the royal guards would use them?

The Royal Guard might be purely ceremonial, as such positions often are in real life. If they DO need to handle something, they can fly and control weather, that might be enough considering anything capable of actually hurting Celestia is gonna blow through her guards lickity split anyway. Unicorns could use firearms by levitating them with their magic. (Great for blind-firing as they don't even need to expose limbs around corners or cover.) They also might be able to mount weapons on harnesses and discharge them by bucking, or wing action. Just a thought. Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Which in my mind is fine for a cartoon, guns are real, pretending they're not is an insult to the younger viewers intelligence. They don't have to be shown or focused on, just don't try and act like the younger viewers don't know what's going on when Chief Thunderhooves is dramatically downed by a pie.

They have cannons, tanks (not shown but stated), and guns, but not many more modern forms of technology was shown.

They exist, but I might have to say WW1 era stuff.

I thought i might add something :ph34r:

Rather than thinking "Theres guns, they must use them to kill other ponies!" think about the other uses of guns. Since RD is a very athletic person, she could be refering to the use of a gun shot to start of a race, and that could be the only use for them in Equestria.

Muwhahaha...

Stop bringing me back to this thread >_<

Oh, I brought you back to assure you that there's no reason to think there's war, even if there's guns. A bullet is a projectile form a gun. Obviously she wasn't talking about the mark at the end of sentence, it was something from a gun.

But, gun can also mean:

http://dictionary.re....com/browse/gun (Definition #4)

"Any device for shooting something under pressure:a paint gun; a staple gun. "

Doubtless, if they have cannons for non-warfare purposes, they probably have guns in labs for non-warfare purposes.

For example, I know IRL in a lab somewhere they have an enormous high-powered air pressure gun that shoots BB's into a plate of material, so they can model asteroid impacts and crater formation.

My point: Guns aren't necessarily weapons, they're devices that launch something at high speed. Same goes for cannons. Just because you can't think of a peaceful application of it on the spot, doesn't mean there aren't any. There's probably lots of applications that we just aren't thinking of.

And you don't even need warfare to develop the technology. Black powder was discovered by accident, then they made rockets which existed as skyrockets and fireworks for thousands of years before guns ever came along. If you have rockets, you have black powder.

And they could've had cannons for warfare, too, back before Equestria was united, like in the times of that play from "Heartwarming's Eve", but with time became much more civilized and peaceful. Kind of like what's happened with humans since the world wars.. Though that's more out of fear of total nuclear destruction than anything else....

EDIT:

Okay. I posted this only to realize that there's three more pages of discussion, lol. Whoops. Point still stands, though.

But now that I think about it, yeah, it's probably just not mentioned. I mean, obviously ponies reproduce, and while they're more gentle and peaceful than humans, we've seen proof that they can be bad, and probably commit crimes, too.

Chances are they're just more in a sort of golden age of prosperity, than anything (I mean, look at the play of the time before Equestria. They almost went to war.). We've actually got something similar in the westernized world, right now. If you take away technology, that is the ability to communicate and travel like we do, then the western civilized world would be much like Equestria. Peaceful. It wouldn't be possible or practical to have political squabbles across the globe, you could pretty much remain blind to the rest of the world.

Heck, most people are blind to the rest of the world even with all our communication and travel technology.

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

• 4 years later...

For guns you need

1) Something that goes "kaboom" when you want it to & DOESN'T go "kaboom" when you DON'T want it to.  They've got fireworks, so CHECK

2) A tube that can be sealed on one end & not blow up when something goes "kaboom" in it.  From the old Connections show on PBS.  Parts of steam engines are made using the same techniques 1st developed to make gun barrels.  They've got steam engines, so CHECK

Of course, the fact that they can make guns doesn't mean they use them.  For whatever reason, they don't seem to use them.  Pinkie's party cannon seems to be air powered.  Basically, the world's biggest BB gun, or maybe a potato gun.

We have enough guns causing problems in the real world. Do we really need to invade Equestria with them as well?

"Waits for someone to bring up 2nd Amendment as to why there needs to be guns on cartoon about colorful ponies*

Okay let's take a look at some of these.

Bullets.  This is not a term exclusive to guns, as has already been mentioned it's also the name for objects designed to be projected from a sling (which were around a very long time before guns).  Also used to describe a wide variety of objects propelled from various apparatus for engineering or scientific purposes.

Rapid Fire.  I don't recall the name being used, but let's say it was.  Rapid, meaning fast, and Fire, an effect of combustion.  Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with guns.

Pinkie's Party Cannon.  This is just a tube that uses compressed air to spread confetti around the place, no military utility without some serious modification.

Tank.  In our world, the reason tanks are called tanks is because they were transported to the warzone under the code name 'tank' (as in, water tank) to make the Germans think that they were just big, heavy, portable water tanks.  It could be that in Equestria that is exactly what they are, big, heavy, portable water tanks for getting water to places where it is scarce.

JdDB1vj.png

Okay... I got myself there.  This is clearly a tank.  BUT! this tank is 'armed' only with a larger version of Pinkie's Party Cannon, and is clearly intended as a tool of entertainment as opposed to destruction  (and the body of it does kind of look like a water tank on tracks).

So there you go, there may indeed be vaults under Canterlot filled to the brim with weapons of war, but in the absence of any conclusive supporting evidence, the terms may all have perfectly innocent and peaceable explanations.

We may never know.

I'm pretty sure you can find better examples of those if they do exist.

The word bullet has been around since slingshots were invented and that's during the Biblical times, ammunition used for slings are called bullets. Even the word missile existed when Romans developed weapon contraption that fired javelins, the javelins were called missiles. 

Cannons and Tanks do seem somewhat "canon" however (pun intended). The party cannon and Cheese's enormous tank and cannon sort of cements this. 

Ugh.

Bullet is a shape. Tank is a water container and object.

I knew this would come up. Rainbow Dash did mention a tank as in a battle tank. She described her pet turtle as being able to continue moving without failure. A water container doesn't move... so yeah she was mentioning a battle tank.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Someone already mentioned party cannons, don't you think it's likely they'd have the real thing too? Darnit, this just tainted my image of Equestria as a peaceful place, thanks a lot. :(

Ponies are able to fling pies hard enough to knock out BUFFALO

Who needs guns when pastries are WMD?

• Brohoof 1