Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This Episode is Terrible!........ Why it isn't.

Anadu Kune

I seem to notice that some people in an attempt at finding holes in an episode tend to poke them instead. In these little segments I will pick an episode and bring up the common criticisms I find I think don't quite hold up or are not as bad as they are made out to be. I am not trying to convince those that don't like an episode to like it, but merely show that many of these criticisms don't  warrant saying that the episode was of poor quality. 

A Canterlot Wedding

Complaint one: Shining armor was horrible, its completely unbelievable that Twilight wouldn't have mentioned him yet or that he wouldn't have appeared in one of the flashbacks. His very presence contradicts Twilight's character as an antisocial pony. Hes a horrible underdeveloped character. 

Im going to start this off by saying that on no less than 3 separate occasions I have had good friends that just suddenly mentioned a sibling. These were people I had known for 3-4 years yet I had no knowledge of their siblings. In fact I may have done it when my brother just randomly showed up to a presentation to help me with a computer problem. The key thing to glean from these stories is that siblings and family members are not generally mentioned until the appropriate time arises.

There are only two flashbacks of filly twi I can think of where it would be possible to include Shining. Twi's cutie mark origin and magic kindergarden. Magic kinder garden wouldn't make sense as Shining is her older brother. Where was he during Twi's cutie mark scene? I dont know where were Rarities parents during the play, or Rainbow's or Fluttershy's during their flash backs? There are many possible explanations, but we just don't know. 

If your only friend is your brother and baby sitter I'm pretty sure that defiantly qualifies as being antisocial. In fact Im pretty sure there are entire books written on the mental ramifications of such people.

I will agree that his character needs more attention, however the focus of the episode was on Twilight. His previous relationship was pretty well established by the song. I think it would be a legit complaint if they had taken too much focus away from Twi. 

In the end I think we can say that The reasons for us not seeing him are completely logical. He was introduced in probably the best way possible for the episode, through the eyes and memories of a character to establish her connection to him. I think this connection shows the true effort the writers put into the show. Rather than just write a random new character into the show they gave him a meaningful connection to a main character. We dont need to see a character well before an episode involves them for their past presence to be believable. 

Cadence being a alicorn makes no sense. Her being Twilights baby sitter also contradicts her previously established antisocial behavior. She was also poorly developed. 

The first issue is mostly I find just a contradiction to headcannon. At no point is it stated the there are only two alicorns. They nature of alicorns is still mostly ambiguous all we really know is they tend to give extremely gifted. This was something hasbro did change as the character originally wasnt an alicorn. It doesnt really cause any real problems, though it does raise questions which isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor does it ruin the episode on a fundamental level.

I will say once again I pretty sure that if your only friends are your brother and baby sitter you qualify as being anti social. It was established that Twilight really didn't see importance in making friends not that she had nobody. In fact in the first season we can glean that she associated with other ponies in Canterlot Those being Doughnut Joe and the few ponies she passes by. It seems this complaint stems from seeing things in black and white.Twilight must have had absolutely no friends because if she even had a few that means she wasn't antisocial. Its obvious that Spike was close to her does that contradict her anti social tendencies? One can have people who they are close to an still be anti social and not understand the importance of friendship. This is what was established with twilight and I feel the appearance of Cadence and Shining is consistent with that. 

Cadence unfortunately was underdeveloped but that was needed for the flow of the narrative. Plus Time constraints.

Shining says only he can cast the shield spell but we have seen twilight do it before.

I thought this was obvious but I have seen it brought up enough that I will mention it. This is never explained with dialog but through subtle visuals. That being the cutie marks of Twilight and Shining. Shining's cutie mark is similar to Twilight's but with one major difference. His cutie mark has a shield. This would indicate that he specializes in defensive/protective magic. This makes even more sense when you consider his occupation being captain of the royal guard. Twilight is a generalist in magic she can cast shield spells just not a well as Shining can because that is his talent.

How was Twilight the only one to notice Cadences odd behavior?

Shining was under a spell, The other five ponies had never met her, and we have no indication of how much time Celestia spent with cadence during the wedding preparation in this episode to notice such things. 

Chrysalis singing her evil plans loudly would have alerted the gaurds

really, Your really trying to hard to poke holes now.

Chrysalis defeating Celestia makes no sense shes just a bug parasite. The power of love is just pure ridiculousness.

Almost every reason I have seen for this involves some kind of headcannon contradiction. This isnt DBZ, ponies dont have numbered power levels for us to make definitive statements like that. 

I find the fact that Chrysalis is a parasite makes this defeat believable. While her innate power may be limited her potential for power may be boundless. The only limit to her power is the amount of love her victim feels. Given there is no way of knowing the conversion factor for love to magic stating it doesnt make sense in the context of a fantasy world might be .....I dont maybe silly is the word not sure.

Creatures that feed off emotion and having powers fueled by emotion are very prominent in sci fi and fantasy. There are numerous examples in star trek of energy beings feeding off emotions. If I recall correctly one episode of TNG had a being seducing Beverly Crusher to feed upon her love, and the being took the form of a green light. In farscape there was a being who fed off aggression.  The lantern corps of DC comics are fueled by specific emotions or states of mind, those being Will Power, Fear, Anger, Avarice, Compassion, and wouldn't ya know it Love. 

How could Chrysalis mock the power of love when she is fueled by it.

Well think this one comes down to her thinking that an tired and ragged Cadence wouldnt be able to break her spell. That and of course classic villain bravado and over confidence. Though I can see this being a legit problem.

What problems did you have with the episode.

It shared the pacing problems the other two parts before this had. It just wrapped up a bit too fast. I would love to see a bit more of Cadence we dont know too much about her from this ep. Though this was necessary from a narrative standpoint. Where the heck was Luna? We see her in Canterlot a few times where did she go? Though the writers were defiantly self aware about this point. Chrysalis seems a bit too cocky at times especially given that even she seemed surprised that she defeated Celestia. I would have like more closer between Shining and Twilight at the end. I would also like to have seen Twi friends support her a bit more. There was a scene addressing it but it felt a bit short to me is all. 

Im almost certain I will think of more things I didnt like but in the the end I really enjoyed this episode. All the pros I can think of defiantly outweighed the cons.

• Brohoof 16

Had no problems with Canterlot Wedding myself, but those are some of the more common complaints. Another I've seen is the ending, which I personally thought was fine. People will have their favorite and least favorite episodes for various reasons though, no matter what.

I figured this was just a fun critical thinking exercise. I also feel the to adress these complaints to see if they stand to scrutiny helps us better see the strengths of the episode. Im trying to decide which ep to do next. Maybe Feeling Pinkie Keen as I feel it is bashed on alot. 

Edited by Anadu Kune

I personally don't like Cadence or Shining Armour very much. Yes. It's true. I feel they were very forced into the storyline and we probably will hardly hear from them again. 

Kind of like when they showed up in "The Crystal Empire"? :P

Personally, I truly enjoyed "A Canterlot Wedding"; it might be my favorite episode (I count the two-parters as a single episode) out of the entire series thus far. It is an interesting exercise to pick up the supposed flaws of an episode---even one which has reached near universal acclaim---and then engage in a counter-argument.

I can dig it.

• Brohoof 1

Kind of like when they showed up in "The Crystal Empire"? :P

Personally, I truly enjoyed "A Canterlot Wedding"; it might be my favorite episode (I count the two-parters as a single episode) out of the entire series thus far. It is an interesting exercise to pick up the supposed flaws of an episode---even one which has reached near universal acclaim---and then engage in a counter-argument.

I can dig it.

I don't think see them for quite a number of episodes after S3 opener. I don't think the episode was bad, though. It would be on my top 10.

I personally don't like Cadence or Shining Armour very much. Yes. It's true.  I don't think the episodes were commonly bashed, though. 

Oh thats perfectly fine. I only find it hmmm whats the word? It a pet peeve to me when some denounces the quality of something rather than say what you just said. You dont like those are the key words. 

• Brohoof 1

Aww, I was waiting for a defense of The Mysterious Mare Do Well!

640px-Tootsie_Flute_%22Lame.%22_S02E08.p

Alas, I shall remain the only brony who liked that episode. *sigh*

Don't worry about it, the OP made it sound like an ongoing thing so I'm sure that you'll get one eventually. I could try to defend it myself actually, even if my heart wouldn't necessarily be in it.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that Shining Armor's existence does not contradict Twilight's characterization as an asocial pony. However, Twilight has been raising Spike since childhood and he has been her best friend for years. How can she be asocial when she has had him as a best friend for so long? It sort of is a slap in the face to Spike to say Twilight only discovered friendship when she got to Ponyville. 

I agree that Shining Armor's existence does not contradict Twilight's characterization as an asocial pony. However, Twilight has been raising Spike since childhood and he has been her best friend for years. How can she be asocial when she has had him as a best friend for so long? It sort of is a slap in the face to Spike to say Twilight only discovered friendship when she got to Ponyville. 

Well I do get much more of a familial vibe from Twilight and Spike's relationship quite honestly. She essentially fills a mom/big sister role for the little guy. You can be asocial and still have healthy relationships with family.

• Brohoof 3

Aww, I was waiting for a defense of The Mysterious Mare Do Well!

640px-Tootsie_Flute_%22Lame.%22_S02E08.p

Alas, I shall remain the only brony who liked that episode. *sigh*

Oddly enough, this is one of the episodes that I had no problem with and had no idea why everyone was complaining about it.  Sure it wasn't one of Dash's prouder moments but nobody (nopony in this case) is perfect, and the Mane 6 certainly are not.  It is what makes them compelling characters. 

As for Canterlot Wedding... I enjoyed the hell out of that finale.  Most common complaints are just the lamentation of whiney neighsayers who are looking for something to bitch and nitpick about.  I mean really?  Complaining about the singing?  Did they suddenly forget that songs are common place in this series so that they could validate a reason to cry like a bunch of babies?  That's like someone bitching about Ursula singing in the Little Mermaid... -_- 

Only legitamit criticism would be about pacing, and even then that one is immiediately shot down llike the crappy burning fighter jet it is by the simple fact that you can only cover so much ground in a show that takes up 22 minutes on the air per episode.  

• Brohoof 1

Looking back at the forum thread when the Mare Do Well episode aired, it seemed like everyone liked it then. I guess it just didn't withstand the test of time very well? RD did act a little off, but I actually kind of liked the episode, especially the ending. 

Edited by Rooish

Looking back at the forum thread when the Mare Do Well episode aired, it seemed like everyone liked it then. I guess it just didn't withstand the test of time very well? RD did act a little off, but I actually kind of liked the episode, especially the ending. 

Personally I enjoyed it much less the second time around so it's possible that others had the same reaction that I did. I actually rewatched 'Mare Do Well' around five times trying to exorcise the problems that I had with the episode, and while I did come to terms with some of the things that bothered me, I also found different things that troubled me as I thought about the episode more. Oh well, I'm certainly not going to criticize anyone who enjoyed it

Edited by DashForever

I don't think a Canterlot Wedding was terrible. (Honestly, how many people ever said that?) Twilight having a brother out of nowhere was jarring and obviously was not in the original plans, or she would at least have mentioned him earlier in the series. As it turned out, Shining and Cadence were both fine characters and the least of the problems in those episodes. Not knowing who Chrysalis was (even her name was never mentioned onscreen), where she came from, where she ended up after her defeat or what changelings are was much more irritating. They gave our villain an effective personality, awesome powers and the ability to defeat Celestia, but they didn't bother to tell us who she was. At least King Sombra had a background, thin as it was.

Edited by TailsAlone

I don't think a Canterlot Wedding was terrible. (Honestly, how many people ever said that?) Twilight having a brother out of nowhere was jarring and obviously was not in the original plans, or she would at least have mentioned him earlier in the series. As it turned out, Shining and Cadence were both fine characters and the least of the problems in those episodes. Not knowing who Chrysalis was (even her name was never mentioned onscreen), where she came from, where she ended up after her defeat or what changelings are was much more irritating. They gave our villain an effective personality, awesome powers and the ability to defeat Celestia, but they didn't bother to tell us who she was. At least King Sombra had a background, thin as it was.

Well the only thing I think was really mentioned that was changed was Cadence being an alicorn. I recall in a panel that Jayson Thiessen had said he and Lauren had gone over the scripts well before animation work had started, meaning Shining and Cadence were intentionally written characters. It seems to me that Shining being Twi's brother defiantly seems intended as Twilights entire motivation stems from that. If Shining wasn't Twilights brother the episode wouldn't work nearly as well. It seems strange that something so heavily tied to the episode would come from something they hadn't intended it to begin with.

The point I think being it wasnt something Hasbro could just spring on them during production as from what I have come to understand, the scripts are put through well before that point.

Oh and I have seen the episode called terrible on a number of forums.

Edited by Anadu Kune

i really like cadance and shining amour its sad the show was bashed the only real complaint I had is that it would be cooler to have  the elements of harmony be tied in instead of beings defeated b love scince these is friendship is magic and not true love is magic but it was still great and id love if you did one on pinkie sense that was my fav episode and proably potentially made me a pegasister pinkiepieis awesome...

It seems most of the things people dislike this episode for is being illogical, can't we just say logic isn't very important in Equestria. Some of those arguments are just picky. This was a great episode.

Had no problems with it, and I don't remember anything about Cadanse being antisocial? Every appearance she made, she was almost happy, even in the dungeon, at first, when Twilight realized it is the real Cadanse. This was by far my favorite episode.

Had no problems with it, and I don't remember anything about Cadanse being antisocial? Every appearance she made, she was almost happy, even in the dungeon, at first, when Twilight realized it is the real Cadanse. This was by far my favorite episode.

The point detractors make is that the fact that Cadence socialized with Twilight contradicts Twilights previous antisocial tendencies(season 1). So its Twilight who was anti social.

• Brohoof 1

I like this episode, I think it was a pretty darn good episode, not to mention it has two very amazing songs :D.

I can understand people not liking it, but to say its terrible is wrong, you can have an opinion for the episode as not liking it, but thats different then saying its terrible which means nobody should like the episode.

Just thought i'd state that.

Anyways i actually liked alot of the two parters more then alot of people seem to. I always hear bad things about the two parters, and I guess they have their problems, but so do all the episodes pretty much.

And again, i'm also kinda easily amused.. so.. Maybe that has to do with it(Or I think so, maybe I am maybe I'm not :P.)