Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you could have a scene with a character calling another out, who and when?

Magic Man

I doubt I'm the only one here who's envisioned a character giving a "What the Hell, Hero?" calling out to another for a number of reasons, be it the events of an episode or collective episodes that left a bad taste in our mouths, or even simply the clash of personalities. Of course, it's not JUST "What the Hell, Hero?", but could easily be a "Rage Against the Mentor" or "Calling the Old Man Out", all depending on the circumstances and relationships between the characters involved.

Now, normally, this sort of thing is what we have fanfiction for, but what if you had the power to have a scene like this occur in a canon episode?

Which characters would be involved? Who'd be given it out and who'd be on the receiving end? What would the situation be? When would it take place? How severe would you have it? (Like a MAJOR chewing out or a scolding, etc). Why do you personally want it to happen?

Here's mine, for an example: I personally want Twilight to call Princess Celestia out some time in the foreseeable future, preferably in the Season 3 ender (which, by the looks of it, could spill into the Season 4 beginning). I have three reasons for this:

1. It's a bit petty, but one is that Twilight has been on the receiving end of a calling out twice now, even though both were justified in their own right (but if you want to hear my take on that, here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/26491-the-ending-of-canterlot-wedding-part-one/). I suppose, for me, it would be a tad refreshing to see Twilight lashing out at somepony else for a change, which would show how much she's grown in confidence and the ability to stand up for herself.
  2. Celestia is not entirely squeaky clean. She's made some ethical decisions in the past that have left a lot of fans divided on her (though granted, the majority agree that she was justified in those decisions, and some fans just enjoy giving villains the leather pants treatment), and it would serve well to show she's not as perfect and infallible as the other characters, the show and even herself likes to think of her.
  3. Their relationship in general does warrant it at some point. Twilight hero worships Celestia, loving her as a mother; would do anything she can to please her as her prize pupil; has been hinted to actually kind of FEAR her and whenever Celestia has shown even a glimmer of disappointment in her, it's pretty much being stabbed in the heart with a dagger for Twilight. At some point, Twilight's gonna snap and just be, "you know what? Screw you!" And I can see it happening in relation with her 'destiny' that Season 3 is leading up to.

This leads on to the situation aspect. Again, I want it to be on the 'destiny' episode(s) at the end of Season 3/beginning of Season 4, but as for what happens, the way I see it, Celestia has most likely not been telling Twilight the full truth of things. It could be revealed she's been holding some major secrets from her relating to her destiny or made other, even more ethically questionable in the past, some that arguably cross the line. In Twilight's eye at least, it can all make Celestia look selfish and manipulative, even though the other characters and the viewers can reason and understand why she did it. But for Twilight, it's just too much and her pedestal of Celestia is shattered.

Now for the calling out itself, I feel a little guilty in that yes, I would like to see Twilight REALLY cutting into her mentor, possibly going into stuff that isn't relevant to the situation at hand, but it's also stuff that she'd normally have held back. But if time is an issue and the writers want to make it organic as possible, it could easily all be summed up in three words. Three magical words: I. Hate. You.

Well, anyway, that's my scenario, what's yours?

Edited by Wormtail96
  • Brohoof 1

I would like to see a Luna/Celestia thing sometime. In which, Luna would point out that she is Celestia' equal, not under her. Celestia would probably make some comments about Nightmare Moon. Then there'd be an epic Alicorn battle.

• Brohoof 3

I would like to see a Luna/Celestia thing sometime. In which, Luna would point out that she is Celestia' equal, not under her. Celestia would probably make some comments about Nightmare Moon. Then there'd be an epic Alicorn battle.

THIS. I have wanted to see this happen since I first started watching the show. I always thought that it was unfair how Celestia sort of acts superior to Luna when they are supposedly 'equals'. 

• Brohoof 1

I still want a canon moment where Rainbow Dash and Twilight rip each other and their friends apart for their actions in both "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" and "A Canterlot Wedding" respectively

Basically, "Friendship is Empathy: The Episode"

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

id love to see the CMC corner Diamond Tiara and give her some street justice. they'd leave Silver Spoon alone as a reminder to not fuck with the CMC, and to spread the word. 

i might have to get this out of my system and actually write something for once in my life. so many good movie moments are running through my head right now lol. 

id love to see the CMC corner Diamond Tiara and give her some street justice. they'd leave Silver Spoon alone as a reminder to not fuck with the CMC, and to spread the word. 

i might have to get this out of my system and actually write something for once in my life. so many good movie moments are running through my head right now lol. 

They'll corner her and teach her a lesson Kite Runner style.

Oh goodness, I'm not sure whether I want people to understand that reference or not...

I would have a quiet, shy character like Fluttershy chew out characters like Rarity and Pinkie Pie for their frivolousness and for pushing her around.

Putting Your Hoof Down delivers on both, especially the former. It wasn't portrayed positively though. Speaking of that...

Calling either of the princesses out is an idea that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like this blame game in general. The show usually depicts the path of understanding and forgiveness being the better one (with some exceptions). As Fluttershy says:

I suppose, for me, it would be a tad refreshing to see Twilight lashing out at somepony else for a change

She does, in the Return Of Harmony, although not as a sign of her increased confidence. It's part of the reason why I love the two parter so much, and why it is my favorite "Twilight" episode. The entire thing until the end can be seen as a deconstruction of Twilight Sparkle. What happens to her when what she treasures most, the bonds of her friendships, shatter into pieces? What I noticed is that she eventually covered the ground of every single discorded version of her friends. At first, she tries to ignore that there's something wrong (Honesty, although this was pretty benign). Over time, she becomes angry and morose (Laughter), yells stuff like "This is MY book, and I'm gonna read it!" (Generosity), and just rude and rough in general (Kindness). She only turns grey when she finally abandons her loyalty to her friends. 

What brings her back from the brink? Renewed hope for her friends. She is going to fight for their friendship, and forgive their actions. When she does this, it ultimately leads to Discord's defeat. If she still allowed herself to hate them, he never would have fallen. 

On the other hand, sometimes calling someone else out has been deserved. Lightning Dust, for instance. Gilda. Iron Will. And that is what we are going for in this thread. But personally, I prefer an apology from the other side. Guilt is its own punishment, after all.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 2

Putting Your Hoof Down delivers on both, especially the former. It wasn't portrayed positively though. Speaking of that...

I was referencing that.  ;)

Though to your point of an apology is better than calling someone out, sometimes you have to call someone out to get them to apologize. Sure, it was kind of an abstract intervention, but without her friends actions in MMDW, do you think Rainbow would've ever realized her misdoings and apologized?

• Brohoof 1

Though to your point of an apology is better than calling someone out, sometimes you have to call someone out to get them to apologize. Sure, it was kind of an abstract intervention, but without her friends actions in MMDW, do you think Rainbow would've ever realized her misdoings and apologized?

Hmm, good point. I guess the difference between the "positive" examples and the "negative" ones are that the former are done for selfless reasons and the latter for selfish reasons. The reason why MMDW caused such controversy was that the show portrayed Rainbow Dash's friends as being completely selfless, but the audience thought that some of their actions were selfish.

From this perspective, it's easy to see why Twilight's friends ignored her when she first accused Cadence of being evil. Look at that smug attitude about her "discovery". She was right, but she did a poor job of convincing people of it.

I was referencing that.   ;)

Gotcha. It did seem oddly specific.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, good point. I guess the difference between the "positive" examples and the "negative" ones are that the former are done for selfless reasons and the latter for selfish reasons. The reason why MMDW caused such controversy was that the show portrayed Rainbow Dash's friends as being completely selfless, but the audience thought that some of their actions were selfish.

From this perspective, it's easy to see why Twilight's friends ignored her when she first accused Cadence of being evil. Look at that smug attitude about her "discovery". She was right, but she did a poor job of convincing people of it.

Right, so it all just depends on how the calling out is done. In MMDW's case, their intentions are good, they just needed to handle it in a better, more subtle or sensitive way.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know if it counts as calling a character out, but I wouldn't mind if at the end of The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Rainbow Dash had asked the rest of the six "Why didn't you just talk to me?"

• Brohoof 2

I still want a canon moment where Rainbow Dash and Twilight rip each other and their friends apart for their actions in both "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" and "A Canterlot Wedding" respectively

Basically, "Friendship is Empathy: The Episode"

The writing would have to be shortened because I practically fell asleep before the end of that story. It's a fun idea, but not in character for the ponies. Actually none of these ideas are, no matter how cool it would be to see them happen on the show.

One thing I think would fit is the CMC calling out Diamond Tiara. Not just for the heck of it, but so we see them finally standing up to her. And maybe we'll learn something more about Diamond as well. She and Silver need more character development on the show IMO.

I kind of want Celestia calling Luna out, or vise-versa. Just because it would be an awesome episode if those two got into a fight. 

Celestia would call Luna out for being either selfish or for letting Nightmare Moon take over her body. Luna would call Celestia out for not letting her get more time to shine, being an incompetent ruler or for imprisoning her for 1000 years. 

I guess then Twilight would have to fix things and resolve peace between the sisters. I want that episode, now that I think about it.

It would be kind of funny if Fluttershy attempted to tell off Rainbow Dash for being overall pushy and bossy...and then fails completely.

Right before Rainbow tries to peer-pressure Fluttershy into doing something once again:

:blush: "Look, um, Rainbow, I know we're best friends and all, and I don't want to ruin that-I mean, I'm not trying to, What I'm trying to say, is...it's not you, it's me. Wait, no. That's not what I'm trying to...

<_< "Fluttershy, we don't have all day! After we [insert potentially harmful event] I have to go submit my 500 page long novel about the awesome pegasus that gets accepted into the Wonderbolts.

:( "Oh, um, whatever you want...You're just really bossy sometimes."

-_- "What was that? I couldn't hear you! I was just busy thinking about changing the ending to my novel. 

Edited by Rarietty

If I could have a such as scene it would have been back in Griffon the Brush off, yes Gilda got chewed out and did deserve some scolding but I don't get why Pinkie Pie came out smelling like a rose in this when she was also acting like a jerk. Twilight summed it up best earlier in the episode when she said "maybe you are just jealous" but Twilight lost the status of voice of reason later in that episode by calling Gilda a "false friend" when she dosen't even know Gilda.

Yes Gilda maybe could have handled things better and blowing up in front of Fluttershy was a dick move but I am the only one who noticed that Pinkie Pie acted like a creepy stalker in that episode? I seriously think there needs to be an episode where Gilda returns, they did it for Trixie and what Trixie did was way way worse than what Gilda did.

• Brohoof 1

Foreword

In Feeling Pinkie Keen, as well as the end of Swarm of the Century, Pinkie Pie in one form or another calls out Twilight Sparkle for always trying to apply the rational to the irrational.

Fluttershy doesn't necessarily call people out cognitively, yet when she is "evilshy" or "flutterbitch" the other characters that mistreat her get a dose of fury, so I don't see her being involved in a call out necessary at this point.

Obviously Rainbow Dash could have called out her friends at the end of Mare Do Well, yet now it is far to stale. Also, even though Dash is quite arrogant and a showoff, she has already been cut down enough so far.

Ideas

First, it would be interesting to see Spike call out Rarity. He obsesses over her and such while usually she takes advantage of his "labor of love." Even this past episode she was condoning his indenture to Applejack. Maybe he realizes his "puppy love" for her for what it is and calls her out in some way.

Second, I agree entirely with previous posters that a battle of words between Luna and Celestia would be exciting. This is what I would want the most!

Third, it would be interesting and totally out of left field if someone called out Mayor Mare. Where the hell is she in an emergency? I would like to see in an episode what she personally does that Celesita or Twilight doesn't do. I don't know, it doesn't even need to be a call out, as long as the Mayor asserts why she deserves her post.

Fourth, Pinkie Pie calling out anyone! Like Fluttershy, it would be coming from the most unlikely source. It wouldn't usually come from Fluttershy because she is, well, shy. It wouldn't usually come from Pinkie Pie because she always wants to make ponies smile. I cherish the moments when she is serious, as it shows the depth she has, particularly in Party of One and in Too Many Pinkie Pies.

• Brohoof 2

Twilight needs to call Celestia out if only to show that she can, if need be. If the Princess is raising her student to be some kind of adviser or assistant as seems likely, she needs to be someone capable of challenging and contradicting her boss. At some point and in some way, Celestia needs to come down off her pedestal in her student's eyes. In the long run, Twilight's hero-worship is unhealthy and dangerous for the both of them.

• Brohoof 3

If I could have a such as scene it would have been back in Griffon the Brush off, yes Gilda got chewed out and did deserve some scolding but I don't get why Pinkie Pie came out smelling like a rose in this when she was also acting like a jerk. Twilight summed it up best earlier in the episode when she said "maybe you are just jealous" but Twilight lost the status of voice of reason later in that episode by calling Gilda a "false friend" when she dosen't even know Gilda.

My take on it is that Twilight is

Today I learned that it's hard to accept when somepony you like(Dash) wants to spend time with somepony(Pinkie) who's not so nice. Though it's impossible to control who your friends hang out with, it is possible to control your own behavior. Just continue to be a good friend. In the end, the difference between a false friend(Dash being a false friend to Gilda) and the one who is true(Pinkie being a true friend to Dash and trying to get along with Gilda) will surely come to light.

Yes Gilda maybe could have handled things better and blowing up in front of Fluttershy was a dick move

but I am the only one who noticed that Pinkie Pie acted like a creepy stalker in that episode?

Judging by how many hate Gilda from trying to protect her friends from said stalker, I'm guessing yes.