Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

@Steel Accord

You know what I think I need to do? Just keep visualizing my little sister’s face. She FaceTimed me after she found out I was coming and she was just so stinking happy about it and it made me feel great.

Also my grandpa doesn’t know I’m coming, so that’ll be a great surprise.

Just need to focus on the good parts.

23 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Thanks hon, I appreciate it. I’ll be okay, I just really want to vent. I’ve been choking down my emotions on this particular situation for about a months now, because honestly, I just haven’t had time to let them out and just be upset.

You have all the reason in the world to. Especially when you don’t feel like you can share your pain with your own family, at least not fully. Just know that God is always willing to listen. And again, I know from experience that He can be frustratingly vague and slow to respond. He isn’t silent though.

16 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

@Steel Accord

You know what I think I need to do? Just keep visualizing my little sister’s face. She FaceTimed me after she found out I was coming and she was just so stinking happy about it and it made me feel great.

Also my grandpa doesn’t know I’m coming, so that’ll be a great surprise.

Just need to focus on the good parts.

Think of it logically. Cold doesn’t exist. Cold is the absence of heat. God is good. Therefore “the good parts” are Him, and the bad parts are where He’s rejected. So instead of thinking of the good parts like they’re the smaller part of a larger bad experience. Think of your sister and grandpa as the main events and anything else as a minor inconvenience.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

Eeeeeeh... trying to have fun to put some of the more stressful things going on out of my mind.

Struggling with the good old fashioned “secular sin invading the stuff that I use as a mental haven” thing. This week I’m having to fly up to New York to see my family because my grandpa decided to quit his chemotherapy for his lung cancer. They re having a “Celebration of Life” kind of party for him. It’s likely the last time I’ll see him face-to-face ever.

And my dad is going to be there, who I’ve been more or less estranged from for about a decade now. Trying super hard not to freak out.

I am very sorry about your Grandpa, @ShadOBabe. As someone who didn’t get to see his Grandpa in his final days, I hope and pray that your time with him will go really well. May the Lord give him peace, rest, and happiness, if not a miraculous heal.

8 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

Think of it logically. Cold doesn’t exist. Cold is the absence of heat. God is good. Therefore “the good parts” are Him, and the bad parts are where He’s rejected. So instead of thinking of the good parts like they’re the smaller part of a larger bad experience. Think of your sister and grandpa as the main events and anything else as a minor inconvenience.

... Holy flip, that’s a good metaphor. Did you come up with that yourself? I love it!

It actually makes me feel a little better.

And you’re right. I kinda wish I could talk things out with my family, but... not this trip. I just want to focus on making this a happy experience this time around. Baggage can be sorted out later.

7 minutes ago, ChB said:

I am very sorry about your Grandpa, @ShadOBabe. As someone who didn’t get to see his Grandpa in his final days, I hope and pray that your time with him will go really well. May the Lord give him peace, rest, and happiness, if not a miraculous heal.

Thank you very much hon. I really appreciate it.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

... Holy flip, that’s a good metaphor. Did you come up with that yourself? I love it!

It actually makes me feel a little better.

And you’re right. I kinda wish I could talk things out with my family, but... not this trip. I just want to focus on making this a happy experience this time around. Baggage can be sorted out later.

The “bad is the absence of God?” No that’s just a minor theological truism that thermodynamics happily match up to and just seemed apt for your situation.

We can sort of get lost in our own heads without an outlet of what we’re thinking and feeling. That goes two ways though. It can happen when we don’t let God in. When we stew in our own fear and resentment. When we can’t see how what’s ahead can be anything but a terrible experience and therefore, don’t invite God to join us on the road ahead to whatever angsty undertaking it is. 

Keep in mind, I’m terrible at following this advice. Learn from my mistakes!

Edited by Steel Accord

10 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

The “bad is the absence of God?” No that’s just a minor theological truism that thermodynamics happily match up to and just seemed apt for your situation.

We can sort of get lost in our own heads without an outlet of what we’re thinking and feeling. That goes two ways though. It can happen when we don’t let God in. When we stew in our own fear and resentment. When we can’t see how what’s ahead can be anything but a terrible experience and therefore, don’t invite God to join us on the road ahead to whatever angsty undertaking it is. 

Keep in mind, I’m terrible at following this advice. Learn from my mistakes!

Hey, yeah I’d heard the concept, but that was the first time I’ve seen it paired up with thermodynamics. And now it’ll never leave my mind. My brain lives for metaphors. Love it.

Yeah I’ve never left him completely, but over the years, I do feel like I’m slowly floating away. Too much complacency. I need to fix that.

But yes, I got some tears out now, gonna focus on the “warmth”. Probably gonna cry some more later, but that’s alright.

1 minute ago, ShadOBabe said:

Hey, yeah I’d heard the concept, but that was the first time I’ve seen it paired up with thermodynamics. And now it’ll never leave my mind. My brain lives for metaphors. Love it.

Yeah I’ve never left him completely, but over the years, I do feel like I’m slowly floating away. Too much complacency. I need to fix that.

But yes, I got some tears out now, gonna focus on the “warmth”. Probably gonna cry some more later, but that’s alright.

There’s a time to let it all out. For what it’s worth, I’ll pray for you and your grandpa. God loves you.

1 minute ago, Steel Accord said:

There’s a time to let it all out. For what it’s worth, I’ll pray for you and your grandpa. God loves you.

Thanks hon. God loves you too.

Thanks for listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. This isn’t a theological topic or what have you but I could use some advice if you have a moment.

I’m 28 years old. My plan is to join the Navy. Military life has always been something I’ve desired, to an extent I feel I need it. I am not lazy. Lazy is not doing what others ask of you because you don’t feel like it. I always do as I’m asked by my parents and bosses. No complaints. No what I am, is slothful. One of the deadly sins.

Way back when the show began, I watched Brony analysis videos like Sabersparks. (There’s a blast from the past for us veterans.) I was inspired, I thought I could do something like that and have a creative avenue for the rest of my life.

Died with barely a sentence into the script.

Later thought I could maybe do some film reviews. Defending movies popularly considered bad

Didn’t even get as far as the script.

Admiring people like the Brony analysts and other persona driven media commenters like Moviebob or Todd in the Shadows, I thought I could throw my hat in the ring by reviewing my own niche genre of movies.

. . . I bought a microphone. . . . Twice.

All the while draining my loving parents of money and myself of time. I look back on my years in college and after and I can’t help but see so many opportunities when I could have just enlisted as I wanted to do (and obviously needed) but didn’t.

Had I done so at 18, 19, even 21, who would I be now? What would I have done and where would I have been? Could I even have been married at this point or at least in a meaningful relationship?

I’m going into the military this year, God willing. My biggest obstacle thus far being my own gluttony keeping me from taking the necessary weight off.

Even if I get in though . . . is it too late? Have I damaged myself? Stunted my emotional maturity in some fundamental manner? Does it even matter what I do from now on if it was wrong for me to waste so much time, money, and potential?

Thank you.

@Steel Accord What you're thinking and how you've approached different things remind me of me. Looking for something to occupy your mind and give you an active goal to work toward is a natural thing to do and in many ways necessary for human development. I can't even begin to count all the different things I tried and gave up on over the years. I'm not saying this to be discouraging, I'm just saying that sometimes it takes time and, like the CMC, finding your special gift or destiny in life can be a lengthy search. I used to think my short-term memory loss came from being so mentally inactive for years but believe me, anything can be kicked back into gear, so don't worry about what's gone before, you have not damaged yourself mentally or physically. 

If you want to join the military, don't worry about weight issues or emotional maturity. The military is great for knocking off the rust and honing people into finely tuned machines. There are also options like military reserve which might be less demanding if such a life doesn't end up appealing to you. Do some soul-searching and If that's what you want to do, follow it and see where it takes you. I can't guarantee being married or in a serious relationship somewhere down the road is going to result from any of it, those are more a matter of the social state of the world we live in. But only you know how things will effect you, so be patient, take your time and don't worry. The best way to gain insight is when your mind is quiet and able to hear that quiet voice deep inside. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

All Saints is particularly special for me, since it also happens to be the day of my coming to being in this world. I was actually supposed to be expected much sooner, but apparently I just kept missing the dates until eventually deciding on All Saints Day. :ButtercupLaugh: Not sure if that should mean something special, or if I was just being super lazy about it. (Probably the latter. :derp:)

Anyway, have a blessed All Saints everyone. :BrightMacContent:

• Brohoof 7

In Sweden, "Alla helgons dag" is a red day in the calendar, means it's a national holiday (no work day, being on a Saturday when most don't work anyway).

We go down to the church and lit candles on our family's grave. It is pretty on every church grave yard all over Sweden (just so you know, most churches are old here, built a long time ago when Christianity was brought here to begin with, and graves are normally around the churches) with so many candles lit! We don't have Halloween here, well it is trying to get in. I was so surprised to hear "All Saints Day" exists in English language as well!

• Brohoof 7

On 11/1/2019 at 1:23 PM, Dark Horse said:

All Saints is particularly special for me, since it also happens to be the day of my coming to being in this world. I was actually supposed to be expected much sooner, but apparently I just kept missing the dates until eventually deciding on All Saints Day. :ButtercupLaugh: Not sure if that should mean something special, or if I was just being super lazy about it. (Probably the latter. :derp:)

Anyway, have a blessed All Saints everyone. :BrightMacContent:

Happy Birthday and God bless. :)

• Brohoof 5

Oh hey! I haven't seen this one active in a while. Happy Sunday. Even though I'm with my father in law and cousins in law working on some construction stuff to help with with a house of his, I woke up early and made it to Mass at 7am. Always a great way to get kick started on the day.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Zach TheDane said:

Just thought I'd drop in to peruse for nostalgia's sake. Hope y'all are well. God bless. 

Thanks! It's nice to see you again. I am doing well. God bless!

On 2021-10-29 at 11:56 PM, Zach TheDane said:

Just thought I'd drop in to peruse for nostalgia's sake. Hope y'all are well. God bless. 

Nice to see you again @Zach TheDane! Always good to see a familiar face! I don't show up here often myself these days; much too busy. But now that we're here, Happy All Saints Day coming our way!  

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Nice to see you again @Zach TheDane! Always good to see a familiar face! I don't show up here often myself these days; much too busy. But now that we're here, Happy All Saints Day coming our way!  

Thank you, you too! Blessed All Saints to you!