Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are there any fanon ideas that offend you?

Pony Of The Month

Aren't they disposable or something? Do you wash it in a dishwasher with all your cups and pans?

Heck if I know. 

And no, I'm not doing the research. 

The one I first saw was a plushie pony with an "opening" and I thought that was one you were referring to. But upon research most results turned up are essentially just regular fleshlights colored to look like the same colors as characters from the show. The one I first saw I would imagine would be hard to clean because of the fur but the recolored flesh lights would probably be cleaned like any other fleshlight which would be with how water and baking soda.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

I wouldn't say anything in the fanon 'offends me', but there are a few things that annoy me.

First off, I'm not too big on all the lesbian shipping. Not because I have anything against lesbians or anything, but because there is just so MUCH damn lesbian shipping in this fandom! It's everywhere. I realize that most of the characters in the show are female, so it would sort of make sense in a way, but it's just so in your face. 

I also don't like it when people ship members of the mane six with eachother. I believe that they should remain friends, and having them in romantic relationships together kind of sullies the point of the show.

And then there is the obvious stuff, like I hate it when people ship the CMC (Underage) or when they ship Big Mac with Applejack (incest).

Unlike most people in this thread, I don't really mind Molestia or gore fiction. Heck, I'll even find myself reading the odd Clop fiction, even though I don't actually clop.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing that really disturbs me is when people abuse or kill fillies and colts. Case-in-point, I heard the dramatic reading of Sweet Apple Masacre yesterday, and I felt deeply disturbed in a way that not many things can do to me, anymore. Subjects like rape and violence don't revolt me when they are fictional, but even then, it is NEVER ok when the victims are children.

This.  I can't believe I forgot this in my previous post.  I don't necessarily have problems with gore- there are several animated interpretations of Cupcakes that I've enjoyed, though I've yet to read the actual fic itself.  I did read and dislike Rarity's New Dress, but that's only because it was poorly written, not for violent content.

But while I might read Cupcakes at some point, I will never, ever read Sweet Apple Massacre or Cheerilee's Garden, for the reasons mentioned above. 

I wouldn't say anything in the fanon 'offends me', but there are a few things that annoy me.

First off, I'm not too big on all the lesbian shipping. Not because I have anything against lesbians or anything, but because there is just so MUCH damn lesbian shipping in this fandom! It's everywhere. I realize that most of the characters in the show are female, so it would sort of make sense in a way, but it's just so in your face. 

I also don't like it when people ship members of the mane six with eachother. I believe that they should remain friends, and having them in romantic relationships together kind of sullies the point of the show.

And then there is the obvious stuff, like I hate it when people ship the CMC (Underage) or when they ship Big Mac with Applejack (incest).

Unlike most people in this thread, I don't really mind Molestia or gore fiction. Heck, I'll even find myself reading the odd Clop fiction, even though I don't actually clop.

I'm not really big on the whole lesbian shipping thing either, but it doesn't remotely annoy me none the less.

When I read fan fiction I like to think it like this.

Rainbow Dash (any other character) is bisexaul in certain parallel universe.

Rainbow Dash is heterosexual other parallel universes.

And is Rainbow Dash is gay in some parallel universes.

Edited by Rush

You may be right, for the most part, but the very first thing I listed really gets to me on a personal level. I just don't understand why a person's personality flaw should be interpreted as a result of traumatic experience, when there is no evidence. I am just as shy as Fluttershy, and when someone says that Fluttershy is shy as a result of a traumatic experience, it offends me, because it feels like they are saying the same about me. I'm not saying my shyness isn't at all a personality flaw, but it is a huge part of my personality and I really hate it when someone suggests that it was caused by something horrible. It sounds like they are saying something is psychologically wrong with me. Maybe I relate myself to Fluttershy more than I should, but we share a lot of the same personality traits. I hope you understand.

I didn't say that they were right about it, only that you shouldn't complain. No one forces you to even acknowledge such fanon exists, so why do you acknowledge it? I do understand that it gets to you on a personal level but why not ignore them? The more you read about thinks you dislike the more they bug you.

Offend me? Ha! You're dealing with a guy who originally checked out the show because of some weird R34 pics that were floating around. Nothing offends me. But there are some fanon ideas I just don't go along with.

Molestia. I agree that Celestia is creepy and is just too perfect to not be hiding dark secrets of some kind. But not THAT kind.

Vinyl Scratch having a nosebleed problem. Not appealing, not attractive.

Drugs. I'll go along with alcohol in the form of fermented cider, but drugs have no place in MLP.

Rainbow Dash = gay. Let's not jump to conclusions. Personally I think her awesomeness is too great to be confined to one gender or the other. ;)

Grimdark and stories with odd fetishes (regular clop is OK).

And finally...

300px-Lyra_Heartstrings_S01E7_16_9.png

Lyra & Bon Bon are lesbians. Come on, people, we all know this isn't true.

lyra_loves_you__by_kamikazexyz-d5ax5cj.j

Lyra obviously has a crush on ME.

Edited by TailsAlone

Fanon ideas that bother me:

- Molestia (No comment.)

- Rainbow dash (or any of the mane six, or really any ponies for that matter) being lesbian/gay (Not a fan of homosexual shipping, or really shipping in general)

- Pinkie Pie murders ponies and uses them for cupcakes (No. Just no.)

- Cider being alcoholic. (C'mon people, this is MLP, not Jersey Shore)

Edited by whoovesfan7698

I agree with you on all the points except the last one.

I have no idea personally if Rainbow Dash is gay or not, but some people thinking she is isn't homophobia. Some people thinking she might be isn't "accusing", as that implies that if she was gay, it would be a bad thing. It doesn't matter either way, and seeing as we have don't know for sure we shouldn't jump the gun.

I am not easily offended. I try not to let things that I can't change bother me.

If I did somehow have the power to do change it, I would get rid of clop. I honestly think the world would be perfectly fine without it. >.<

People who draw Vinyl Scratch's eyes red irk me a little. They come across as stubborn old goats, but I still wouldn't stop them. They can do as they please.

Hmmm... I can't really think of anything else. 99% of what this fandom comes up with is wonderful. The minorities produce things that I don't personally enjoy, but they aren't doing me any harm. ^^

I really hate Molestia or any sorta OoC rape type characters, it's disgusting and wrong, Cupcakes, it was terrible, overrated and crappy.

Dash is a Lesbo: Really? Proof? I highly doubt this. Implying rainbows and being a tomboy instantly makes you a lesbian is hypocritical, especially in Genderole defying Fanbase....

Alicorn OC: DON'T GET ME STARTED! Past Sins was an exception though..

Human in Equestria: ugh.....

Crack Shipping (or dumb ships): Tavi and Vinyl is one stupid shipping especially, they have freaking nothing in common, nor is there anything to imply Octavia is a lesbian, Vinyl maybe, but  not Tavi. Any random lesbian ship just throws me off, sometimes it makes sense, but implying all the mane 6 are Lesbos is just wrong.

Anthroponies... :  Just no... I never liked furry culture to begin with...

Abused Fluttershy: I'm shy, but my parents never abused me, some people are just naturally Shy.

Grimdark OoC: I don't mind darker twists on Ponies, but randomly turning a kind pony into a freaking murderer who kills all the Mane 6 or something for no reason is just terrible.

Clopfics: This is why people hate Bronies.

Stubborn Headcanon: People who really think Pinkie kills ponies, or really believes the Rainbow Factory kills ponies to make rainbows, with all the magic in Equestria, I'm pretty sure they use magic to make rainbows.

Mary Sues: This goes for everything, not just ponies, I hate Alicorn OCs, because they usually are this.

Rule 34 Ponies: See Clopfics.

Bronies who insist on Contradicting any sort of Canon: I get it, the canon names for some of the ponies on the show are terrible, but if you continue to insist Vinyl's eyes are red even though they were proven Magenta is pure stupidity plain and Simple, and Colgate is way too stupid of a name, it'll never work so stop insisting on it.

Bronies who follow canon way too much: On the flipside, doing the opposite is bad, nobody wants to call Carrot Top "Golden Harvest" just because Hasbro said so, stop forcing the unpopular "Marketing Canon" on us, "Golden Harvest" sounds like a piss.

Edited by ZLTavs

Seeing as all of its fan-made and certain people's own interpretations, none of it offends me in the slightest. I agree some of it is a bit distasteful but I don't feel personally offended by it or even bothered by it. As long as the more controversial ideas such as Molestia stay out the canon then I really don't mind. 

In regards to Molestia itself, I have a very open sense of humour and I will find most jokes funny. Yeah some of it does go a little but too far but what makes me laugh is the fact they're taking the mick out of the character rather than the concept of rape. Someone just flipped the idea of a kind, benevolent ruler on its head and made joke about it, it's nothing to be offended by. I find the majority of the images/captions that I come across to just be a little bit of adult humour.

I don't pay much attention to shipping because that's not what I'm in the fandom for. I really don't mind who is shipped with who as long as you keep it to the adult ponies, using the fillies is just unnecessary and is just going to annoy people. I feel the same way about "clopping", keep it to yourself if you do it, I don't care if you do it but I just don't want you to go into depth about it. 

Lesbian Rainbow Dash, again doesn't really bother me. If you make a fan story that's well thought out and you make her that way then cool, I might read/look at it as long as it's decently put together. I personally could see her being that way but she's not presented as such in the show so, I'm just indifferent to it.

I think the only thing in the fandom that irritates me is the idea that people create these OC's and essentially God-mod the universe. I love looking at OC artwork, most of it is brilliant and people have clever ideas but when you make an almighty, uber powerful Alicorn I think it shows a misunderstanding of both the show and the MLP universe.

Also when people get very defensive about a character being presented in a way they don't like. They're not your creation, if people want to make them a lesbian, or have a dark background then thats okay, there's no need to get upset about it. Everyone has their own interpretation, fanon is personal and doesn't effect the actual presentation in the show. 

Some people have ideas that get popular for whatever reason. As long as it doesn't affect the show then to be honest I'm okay with it.

Edited by Aaramus

Something that could annoy me from the fanon ideas are, is the Rainbow Dash lesbian speculation, we all know it isn't true.

I know the ideas are for comedy, but you know people take it seriously sometimes.

This is a bit like the r34 argument AGAIN  <_<  for the 60 millionth time. to start off I agree I personally don't like the r34 or the rainbow dash is gay or pretty much any of the fanon stuff, All of it never makes it into the show for a damn good reason, But I dont kick off with the people that enjoy those things I just ignore them. I personally like to listen to dub step, A lot of people wont like that but its not their place to say what I can and can not like nor is it my place to tell anyone else what they can and can not like. So to sum up even If we hate something that someone else likes aslong as its legal (witch drawings are) then there is nothing to be done about it. If it offends you just dont watch/read/look at it.

I try to be tolerant, but certain things are just too awful. Some of the things I absolutely can't stand are gore fics/animation and certain types of rule 34 (underage,incest,etc).

Why would you do that to those poor ponies?

• Brohoof 1

Molestia offends me to no end. I mean why would bronies come up with such a thing? Right here, is where haters get their source of why some bronies are called pedophiles. This is why some bronies are not mature enough to be bronies. AND, to make it worse, sexual innuendo is at its peak between the ages of 18-24. 

Shipping is okay, but what offends me is when it is taken too far.  

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot stand the way Equestria itself is portrayed in the fanon.

Equestria, as we know, is supposed to be a land of peace, love and harmony, a near enough utopia ruled over by the benevolent Princesses Celestia and Luna. However, from what I've seen in a LOT of fanwork and what seems to be accepted in the fanon is Equestria being portrayed as this one of the following, if not all: Cruel, Authoritarian and Racist/Speciesist.

CRUEL

A lot of fans believe Equestria is rampant with bullies and cruelty, including family. A lot of fans seem to believe that when Twilight was growing up studying under Celestia, she was constantly bullied by the other students or other upper-class fillies; Rainbow Dash, whenever she's portrayed as a lesbian, is constantly discriminated against, being called a 'filly fooler'; that Derpy has been bullied as a filly and even as an ADULT by almost EVERY SINGLE pony in Ponyville supposedly for being different (to a lot of people it would seem, being ditzy is equivelent to being mentally retarded, she is the former. People, it would seem, assume the later in an attempt to woobify her as much they can); that Fluttershy had violently abusive parents, the list goes on.

Now yes, there is some bullying in Equestria, we've seen it with Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, the jock Pegasi, etc, but even so, it's shown to not be the norm or seen as acceptable, and what's more, it's never gone to the extreme levels as it has in the human world or in the fanfiction. It's pretty much entirely just name-calling and teasing by KIDS, who are known for being little jerks and having little empathy, pony OR human. Ponies, as a whole, are shown to be loving and accepting of each other, and I do take this as a fact.

AUTHORITARIAN

Okay, we all know where this is going, so I’ll keep this brief. Princess Celestia has time and time again been thought of by the fandom as this evil tyrant, when it’s been proven time and time again that this is simply not the case. I mean, how many times has it been argued how she banished Luna (Nightmare Moon at the time) because she HAD to, or how she didn’t believe Twilight in ‘Canterlot Wedding’ because she was genuinely fooled? The last one shows how she has flaws like other ponies, but apparently to viewers that is just as bad as showing her as absolutely perfect. She can’t get a break no matter what she does; she even gets guff for turning Discord to stone! Celestia, by definition, is a dictator, but so were a lot of old European monarchs who are looked upon favourably, and what’s more, she’s a BENEVOLENT dictator. She cares about all her subjects like they were her children, Twilight especially. I don’t know what the real basis on the ‘trollestia’ or ‘tyrant Celestia’ lies, but it’s seriously got old and fast, and it seems a lot of people are acknowledging it and letting it die. Only time will tell.

RACIST/SPECIESTIST 

Now this is my biggest problem with the way Equestria is portrayed in fanwork. It’s not as common as with the bullying or authoritarianism, but whenever it does appear, it just infuriates me. Be it with Zebras, Griffins or most commonly Changelings, there are fanworks which portray ponies as a rule as blind, fiery-eyed racist/speciesist bigots. Again, I just want to emphasis this is not the most common element, but in those cases, it’s almost always played up to eleven; I’m talking lynch mobs, executions and pogroms. The species that this is almost always done with is the Changelings. Anyone who knows me on here knows that I have done a lot of discussion on Changelings and their relation with ponies, but as much as I like them, I am simply sick to death of the way they have increasingly been victimized and woobified in fanwork and at the same time, the ponies utterly vilified simply for defending themselves against an invasion. If you want my detailed opinion on the Changeling-Pony issue, here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/31266-can-the-changelings-be-justified-for-their-actions-or-not/ , http://mlpforums.com/topic/29534-speciesism-episode-for-season-3/ ,http://mlpforums.com/topic/35967-the-nationality-basis-of-changelings/#entry848925
 , http://mlpforums.com/topic/25015-cold-war-scenario-equestria-vs-changeling-kingdom-s3/ but what I’m getting at here is that wherever there is a fanwork that tries to portray the Changelings in a good or sympathetic, in said works the ponies are almost automatically portrayed as the ones in the wrong. Using the aftermath of the Changeling invasion as a basis, the ponies become the most hate filled creatures possible in these works, going as far as instigating a genocide like that in 1990s Balkans against Changelings with CELESTIA of all ponies openly backing or supporting it, again, part of the whole tyrant Celestia schtick, pretty much putting here on line with certain historical figures and warlords I don’t think need to be referenced by name here.

If we’re talking realistic, then yes, I can perfectly imagine the ponies of Equestria not being the Changelings’ biggest fans after the invasion, but guess what, that’s entirely natural and justified! The Changelings INVADED their country with every intention of sucking them dry! Of course the ponies are going to be a little peeved. The fanworks really seem to drive home that apparently it’s abhorrent for the ponies to even be the slightest bit resentful on the matter, and show them as the complete opposite of why the Changelings invaded their country in the first place. I mean, these are the ponies of Equestria for goodness sake; kindness, tolerance and love are their whole deal. If it were ever brought up in the show, the most it would realistically be shown as is a justified general distrust that would be resolved within a few episodes.

Zebras and Griffins are not as tackled in this issue as much as Changelings, due to less justification canon-wise, but there are still a few. I mean, in the first Zecora episode, it wasn’t even racism/speciesism; they were weary of Zecora because they had never met a Zebra before and unaware of her customs; they weren’t trying to lynch or burn her at the stake simply for being a Zebra, for crying out loud!

OVERALL

I just don’t get where this dour, horrible portrayal of Equestria in fanworks originates from. I mean, it’s kind of par for course like with the portrayal of other peaceful worlds in their respective fanworks, but what’s the source? A theory on tvtropes which I find myself agreeing with is t
hat many of the writers or creators of these works are portraying their experiences in the world onto Equestria, which is quite plausible and saddening.

My main issue is just how people become so used to this portrayal of Equestria in the fandom that some lose sight of what it truly is. Equestria should not be 100% perfect and peaceful, that'd be boring, but then some fans see the remedy to that being to make it the

absolute extreme opposite. 

I doubt this portrayal is ever going to completely cease, but that doesn’t change the fact how irritating it’s become by its commonplaceness and acceptance. I just want to remind everyone here of the quote above by Queen Chrysalis,"Equestria has more love than any place I've ever encountered." Let’s really think about that; why else would Chrysalis declare war and invade Equestria for its love, unless there was a whole lot of love there in the first place? That line alone pretty much emphasizes what Equestira is; a harmonious land, free from many of the vices of our own world.

• Brohoof 4

Why should I be offended in any possible way by some ideas (may it be in the shape of speculations, videos, fanfics or drawings) random fans might get how to treat the series? People's individual interpretations of mlp are not my business. Either I like the way they're expressing it, or I don't. But if not, I don't feel offended at all. Even if we're talking about some cruel stuff like stated above (sexual harassment of any kind etc.) - it's just fictional characters.

For the most part, I am not offended by stuff inspired by FiM. I get a bit annoyed when I feel characters are badly written or represented (unless the writer has a good reason (i.e comedy)), but it's very hard to offend me (I find some of the R34 stuff down right revolting (CMC being pregnant was one that made me throw up a little) but on the whole I don't really care that much as it's clearly not for me and does not involve real people in any way, manner, shape or form).

I do find some of the arrogance shown by my fellow Bronies to be infuriating in extreme. We have no business looking down on anyone.

And I noticed something that somepony said early that I shouldn't respond to, but damn it I'm only human and this person said something very daft and I must correct it.

CIDER IS ALCOHOLIC! NOT EVERYONE WHO ENJOYS A DRINK IS A MINDLESS GIT!

I hate when fans do stupid things to characters just to make them unique, like giving wings to Twi... wait...

Or acting like Applejack's a main character.

Most of my "offenses" in the fandom come from the people, not what they do. Rape jokes and such in the form of Molestia? Gold, bring it on. But watching an EQD comments section reach 300 comments in a minute because the fans don't want to admit that DJ Pon-3's eyes are magenta instead of red like /they/ depict it? And then spend hours making excuses and videos in defense of their quickly destroyed theories? That grinds my gears.

It was just as bad as with Derpy. "She's not official, it's "Ditzy Doo." Until they say it on the show, it's not official!". *Que The Last Round-Up* "Well, sure, they said it on the show, but it's not /truly/ official until they've made a toy of it!" *cue toys* "Still, it's not official because they edited the episode and /I/ like "Ditzy Doo" better!" Or with this new Twilight development. There was a mural months ago depicting her, and no one believed it. Then there was a sticker, and everyone cried "error" and thought nothing of it. Then there was a blurry photo of a toy of it, and no one wanted to admit it could be something. Now there's official comfirmation, and it's like... You could've saved yourself a lot of angst if you'd given the possibility a chance when it was first speculated.

tl;dr I dislike the fandom itself more than the ideas. People take themselves much too seriously, especially about a show with pastel ponies. Also, saying that Molestia stuff isn't funny is inaccurate. It isn't funny /to you/. Rape jokes aren't funny /to you/. Not everyone shares your sense of humor, and it's ridiculous to think that you alone decide what is and isn't appropriate to laugh at.

• Brohoof 2

Are there any ideas or theories from the fandom that legitimately offend you? As much as soccer moms were offended by Derpy? Here's my list:

The idea that Fluttershy is shy because she was abused as a child- This one particularly bothers me because they are suggesting that Fluttershy is only shy because she must have been traumatized. Any kind of personality trait that is unfairly seen as negative is supposedly due to a bad childhood. "That pony is different from the rest? She must have awful parents!" Seriously, this is one of the most offensive things to ever come from this fandom. I am just as shy and timid, if not, more than Fluttershy, and I was never abused by my parents. This one really offends me, because not only are they accusing Fluttershy's parents of abuse, but they're sort of accusing MY parents of abuse, and the parents of other painfully shy people.

Molestia- Sex jokes are one thing, but whenever someone takes it to the level of rape or molestation, it's just wrong. It's unnecessary, and I seriously doubt that any sane person finds rape/molestation jokes funnier than normal sex jokes. If you do, than you need to see a doctor.

The following kinds of shipping:

Incest (Applejack X Big Mac)

Pedophilia (Self Insert OC X Sweetie Belle)

And both of these at once gets an obvious disapproval from me.

Rainbow Dash Is Gay- This is the strangely homophobic side of the fandom. I really don't understand why there is such thing as a homophobic brony. We watch a show for girls and openly mock gender roles, for crying out loud. After being accused for so long of being gay because you watch this show, why would you go accusing Rainbow Dash of being gay? Just because she's a tomboy and she has a rainbow colored mane? Sounds pretty hypocritical if you ask me. I have nothing against homosexuality, and I wish that kids shows were allowed to portray it in a positive light, but our society is homophobic and deems that as "inappropriate." If you want to fight for the rights of homosexuals, go for it! But don't use Rainbow Dash in your campaign, because you're doing nothing but promoting stereotypes.

So that's my list. Are there any fandom ideas, theories, etc. that offend you?

To be honest your post offended me more then anything you listed. Do you get hated for being a brony/pegasister? Do you like that happening? If you don't then I don't think you should be hating on people in the fandom.

• Brohoof 3

What bothers me is people who hate on whatever they don't like and point it as the 'bad' side of the fandom

"LEL R34, CLOPFICS AND GRIMDARK ARE THE BAD PART OF THE FANDOM!!!"

No, they're not, dumbass. The rabid white knights who hate on those things just to make themselves look like the 'good brony' are the worst kind of cancer this fandom has.

"STOP LIKING WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE WRONG!!11"

Do everyone a favor and shut up. No one cares if you despise Molestia, or filly shipping or incest, etc. You're not the fandom's judge, and you are no one to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Edited by DeiStar
  • Brohoof 6

* I despise grimdark on general principle. Having plot, purpose and reason is better than not obviously (like as trollfics like Cupcakes have no purpose), but I personally don't care for any of them, regardless of how well-written they are. Our world has enough bullshit in it already, and I don't care to read depressing things inside the adorable show and fandom I use as a way to escape from that world :3

* I don't mind Trollestia, because it's actually pretty hilarious, and the reason behind it being so funny is that the more perfect the authoritative figure, the more amusing it is to depict them as the opposite of what they are. I cannot however, stand Molestia. It's just throwing R34 into a character for no reason.

* Scootabuse can fuck right off and go to Taratarus three times over :3 I was so happy that Scootalove became canon, forever making Scootabuse a completely groundless fanon concept, just as 'Pinkie/Pinkamena turning ponies into cupcakes' is.

• Brohoof 5

To be honest your post offended me more then anything you listed. Do you get hated for being a brony/pegasister? Do you like that happening? If you don't then I don't think you should be hating on people in the fandom.

The OP isn't hating on people, they're hating on ideas.  There's a difference.

I;ve already mentioned in this thread my distaste for gore/grimdark when it comes to child characters, so I'll just add to that I don't really like the idea of blatant rejection of canon.