Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Traffic stats for big brony websites disagree with you:

http://siteanalytics...striadaily.com/

http://siteanalytics.../mlp.wikia.com/

Those are just estimates of course, but the trend is undeniable.

But, there's more:

http://www.google.co...date=all&sort=0

Just look at that google trend graph!

Of course, past trends do not guarantee future results. But I see no signs of anything stopping, and this whole thing has only been going on for a little over a year now.

Plenty of room for growth.

Allow me to rephrase that.

I also think the non-asshole brony community is beginning to die out.

• Brohoof 1

Allow me to rephrase that.

I also think the non-asshole brony community is beginning to die out.

If you think about it.... Given that this whole thing got started on 4chan, it kind of makes sense that you would see general niceness breakdown sooner rather than later.

Actually, is it the case that bronies are becoming mean, or is it the case that channers are leaking out of their basin?

Edited by HAL 9000
  • Brohoof 2

I don't see how a dying world would cause all those things, though. Physics-wise, it doesn't pan out, so you'd might as well go with the magical canon if physics doesn't work either way :P

For my fanfic I'm gonna go with the idea that how Celestia and Luna make the day/night cycle is widely misunderstood, the public's ideas are oversimplified, because my fanfic needs an Earth-like solar system...

It's not too far off, either. For example, most people think that astronauts are weightless because there isn't gravity in space. It's completely wrong, but that's how most people think it works. So in my fanfic Celestia and Luna's day-night cycle is misunderstood in that same way. More to it than they raise/lower the sun/moon.

I prefer the fanon explanation that Equestria was once a dying world, but over time, Princess Celestia was able to fix things some-what.

Is there more detail to this fanon explanation?

They seem like pretty good points? why no one of you see them?

I'd say it's certain that their sun isn't like ours. It's probably much smaller and much closer. The planet doesn't turn, but the sun spins around it.

I figure if everything was alright they wouldn't have to do control the weather

Physics wouldn't allow that. There's a lot of stuff to it...

Like, for example, stars can't be scaled. If it's smaller, it'll have different properties. You don't touch things when you touch them, the magnetic fields of the atoms repel eachother. If you get past that repulsion, then a different force, the nuclear strong force, closer to the atom, will cause the nuclei of the atoms to "stick together", or fuse, into a larger atom. In the process, some mass is turned into energy. That's nuclear fusion.

A star is a collection of hydrogen gas, where it's so massive that the force of gravity creates such great pressure that atoms overcome the repulsive magnetic force and fuse. In order for the pressure to be great enough, the star has to be a certain size. A great deal larger than Jupiter, at least. And even then, a smaller star emits lower wavelength energy - light is a form of energy - so it'll be dimmer, more red, and emit more infrared light (heat you feel). Larger stars emit higher wavelengths of energy - they're bluer in color. You can read more about it here, if you're interested :P

The show is cannon. and nothing in the show gives an indication that Equestria is dying.

Equestia lies in a different dimension/reality than ours. The rules of physics are different. The stars are not neccessarily suns (just far away), the sun Celestia raises may not even be a star. In a universe ruled by magic, the stars could well be actial campfires of the gods.

In the Hearth Warming Eve episode, it was revealed that the unicorns raised the sun and moon every day before Celestia even showed up. So this is nothing new in the world of Equestia.

The bottom line here is that we should not judge Equestria by Earthly standards.

The laws of physics are perfectly consistent. You can't have a normal ground-world with the stars and planets working differently, or else that universe would be inconsistent :P

Isaac Newton realized this when, according to maybe-or-maybe-not-true legend, an apple hit his head.

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

I don't see how a dying world would cause all those things, though. Physics-wise, it doesn't pan out, so you'd might as well go with the magical canon if physics doesn't work either way :P

For my fanfic I'm gonna go with the idea that how Celestia and Luna make the day/night cycle is widely misunderstood, the public's ideas are oversimplified, because my fanfic needs an Earth-like solar system...

It's not too far off, either. For example, most people think that astronauts are weightless because there isn't gravity in space. It's completely wrong, but that's how most people think it works. So in my fanfic Celestia and Luna's day-night cycle is misunderstood in that same way. More to it than they raise/lower the sun/moon.

Is there more detail to this fanon explanation?

Physics wouldn't allow that. There's a lot of stuff to it...

Like, for example, stars can't be scaled. If it's smaller, it'll have different properties. You don't touch things when you touch them, the magnetic fields of the atoms repel eachother. If you get past that repulsion, then a different force, the nuclear strong force, closer to the atom, will cause the nuclei of the atoms to "stick together", or fuse, into a larger atom. In the process, some mass is turned into energy. That's nuclear fusion.

A star is a collection of hydrogen gas, where it's so massive that the force of gravity creates such great pressure that atoms overcome the repulsive magnetic force and fuse. In order for the pressure to be great enough, the star has to be a certain size. A great deal larger than Jupiter, at least. And even then, a smaller star emits lower wavelength energy - light is a form of energy - so it'll be dimmer, more red, and emit more infrared light (heat you feel). Larger stars emit higher wavelengths of energy - they're bluer in color. You can read more about it here, if you're interested :P

The laws of physics are perfectly consistent. You can't have a normal ground-world with the stars and planets working differently, or else that universe would be inconsistent :P

Isaac Newton realized this when, according to maybe-or-maybe-not-true legend, an apple hit his head.

2. Some disaster broke the world. The balance of nature has been broken. The planet no longer turns, weather stopped, and plants die without help. Without magic, the world will die. Only the Everfree works like it should, but ponies have become so used to the new world, they fear the old one.

We know that Celestia raises the sun, and Luna raises the moon. The question is, why? Even if their sun is the same as ours, then the alicorns must use magic to turn the planet. Why doesn't the planet spin? Was it always like that, or did it stop spinning?

Edited by Slendermane

The laws of physics are consistant in THIS universe. Not neccessarily in other, alternate universes.

Alternate universes are not limited to the comic books they are part of modern phyics. The number of alternet universes/dimensions are either infinite or so great they might as well be infinite to our limited minds. Physical laws do not have to be constant throughout all the universes. So yes there could be a universe where the Earth is a flat disc, ballanced on the backs of six massive elephants, who in turn stand on the shell of an immense sea turtle swimming through space.

Yes you will find a Pony universe, millions in fact. all based on magic and not on science/physics as we know it. Every fanciful story we can imagine has a counterpart universe where that story is true.

so sure it's likely that we can find a dying Equestria held together only by the vallient efforts of two princesses.

Edited by Silverhoof

We know that Celestia raises the sun, and Luna raises the moon. The question is, why? Even if their sun is the same as ours, then the alicorns must use magic to turn the planet. Why doesn't the planet spin? Was it always like that, or did it stop spinning?

Even there, there's an issue: Once you start an object spinning, then you can stop spinning it and it'll keep spinning on it's own. That's why the Earth spins. There's no force pushing the Earth to spin, it just keeps going from off-center impacts back at it's formation, billions of years ago :P

The best explenation I can think of is the moon is too close or something. A close, massive moon would exert a force on the planet, causing huge tides, the planet to slow it's spin, and the moon to move to a higher orbit.

It may be that part of what they do is keep all that from happening. That would require an active force. Granted, if they were to suddenly disapear, it would take millions of years for anything noticable to start happening...

I'll keep thinking about this, though, I think I can come up with something better :P

The laws of physics are consistant in THIS universe. Not neccessarily in other, alternate universes.

Alternate universes are not limited to the comic books they are part of modern phyics. The number of alternet universes/dimensions are either infinite or so great they might as well be infinite to our limited minds. Physical laws do not have to be constant throughout all the universes. So yes there could be a universe where the Earth is a flat disc, ballanced on the backs of six massive elephants, who in turn stand on the shell of an immense sea turtle swimming through space.

Yes you will find a Pony universe, millions in fact. all based on magic and not on science/physics as we know it. Every fanciful story we can imagine has a counterpart universe where that story is true.

so sure it's likely that we can find a dying Equestria held together only by the vallient efforts of two princesses.

Sorry it took me so long to reply - having some web issues with the forums...

Anyways, any reality must be perfectly consistent. That's pretty much a given, for any physical reality that operates on any laws of physics.

I'll offer an example, let's say there's a magical spell that lifts a feather off a table. It's an inconsistency, magic in our universe, that only applies to feathers.

What happens if you burn the feather? Is it still a feather you can cast the spell on? What if you cut it in half? Or a third? Or a small piece? Or rub it on sandpapaer, causing microscopic bits to rub off? What if you grind it into a fine powder then spread the fine powder somewhere?

What makes it "a feather"? Does it have to come from birds? A certain type of bird? What if you genetically modified the bird it came from, would it still be considered the right species of bird? What if you grew the feathers from the same genetic material, but in a lab without growing the bird? Or what if you just grew the hairs of the feather without growing the vane?

What if I genetically modified the "hairs" to be really long, and used them like twine to make a rope, or basket? What if I reinforced the structure on a molecular level with carbon fibers?

What if I use a machine that could somehow work at the nanometer level, and perfectly create a "feather", would the spell work on it, even though it wasn't grown from a bird? What's the difference? Now what if I built the feather at a micrometer level? Now, let's say, my machine works at 1/100th milimeter level? Now, 1/10th a milimeter level. Now, at the milimeter level. At what point is this feather no longer a "feather"?

Physically speaking, reality has absolutely no regards for what we call things, or how we identify or think of them.

When you ask enough of these questions, you'll find that you start to "blur the lines", so to speak. Blur the lines enough, and they aren't there anymore. When the lines aren't there, reality is once again consistent. Any physical reality must be consistent. Otherwise, it's not a physical reality based upon any laws of physics.

Now, I'm not dissing unicorn magic. I actually have a neat idea on that I'll post in this thread.

Oh, and about the sun and moon, option 2:

The planet equestria is on (Equestria is a nation according to Heartwarming's Eve) developed life in a regular orbit around a star. However, a brown dwarf came from interstellar space and swung through the solar system, it's gravitation force pulling Equestria-world out of it's orbit, and throwing it into interstellar space.

Celestia, facing this issue, is the oldest blank-flank to live, and a poweful magician. She pulls some hydrogen from the passing star, and crushes it into a tiny star, that now orbits Equestria-world. Normally, the heat from the fusion would cause the bundle of hydrogen to explode outward; it doesn't have enough mass/gravity to hold itself together against the force of the fusion, but Celestia uses her magic to keep it together, earning her cutie mark of the sun, and keeping all of Equestria alive and warm with her own sun.

• Brohoof 1

By reading the op I am guessing you are trying to make cartoon realistic. Remember, it's a cartoon. It's probably just a normal thing to practice magic. If you want to think realistically though, it could be a alternate universe. I think my most realistic theory is that Equestria exists in a time before time itself was even recorded by humans and where magic actually existed.

Ok, it's not a star, its a big magical ball of fire whose nature is unkown to humans.

Not exactly... The pressure and heat causes the fusion. The fusion causes pressure and heat. Normally, all that pressure and heat would cause it to expand. And once it expands, then that pressure isn't there, and the fusion stops, and it becomes a giant nebula.

In a normal star, a huge amount of gravity keeps it from expanding into a nebula, and makes it so fusion keeps happening.

But this tiny star doesn't have enough gravity; so Celestia holds it together with her magic.

I made a thread for science stuff :Phttp://mlpforums.com/topic/7425-eggheads-show-science-thread/

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Equestria isn't dying. I believe it probably resides in a far galaxy, much further out than the observable Universe. Reason being is that the section of the Universe we're talking about may abide to more looser laws of Physics after the Big Bang, which includes suns that are smaller than planets and don't generate as much heat, effectively creating a Planet Centric System.

As for Planetary anomalies...this is what I came up with:

1.) Discord's reign is overthrown by Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and most likely a myriad of her followers. I assume that the three Pony Tribes left their differences behind them for the sake of overthrowing Discord.

2.) After Discord's reign, anarchy sets in as the entire planet is thrown out of whack after the cycle of chaos is abruptly stopped into nothingness.

3.) Celestia can't do anything to stop it (presumably since she's not the same all-powerful deity) so the three tribes take hold of a working system. Considering Star Swirl the Bearded was already alive before this happened, I assume they know some things about other planetary systems such as the sun rising, setting, etc.

4.) After the warring tribes settle their differences and the Royal Princesses get hold of the Stellar phenomenon, they bring more fluent order!

So no, the planet Equestria resides on is NOT a dying world. Simply an anomaly in space.

I really like the theory that the planet once worked as ours does, but over time they switched to controlling everything to avoid natural disasters, and now they've reached a point where, if everything was to suddenly be left alone, the world couldn't sustain itself (with the exception of the Everfree Forest, of course).

But all of this still makes me wonder... why is it that only Earth ponies can successfully grow food?

The show is cannon.

Posted Image= Posted Image ?

SUDDENLY I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING.

Edited by Pony Joe

The general history and nature of Equestria still feels like a big mystery to me, even though the show does explain some of throughout the episodes. I would have to go with number 3 as the reasoning I agree with the most. I think it is just a traditional thing. Though, I am admittedly intrigued by the idea of it being a currently or formerly dying world.

I would agree with the third point. Unlike earth, Equestria destroys the laws of physics, so why not their entire universe? It seems improbable that if such things are allowed, meaning magic, then invincible or immortal things cannot exist. Planets and stars may as well have no dying age!

Besides... who would want Equestria to die off?! That would be horrible!