Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are there any fanon ideas that offend you?

Pony Of The Month

Are there any ideas or theories from the fandom that legitimately offend you? As much as soccer moms were offended by Derpy? Here's my list:

The idea that Fluttershy is shy because she was abused as a child- This one particularly bothers me because they are suggesting that Fluttershy is only shy because she must have been traumatized. Any kind of personality trait that is unfairly seen as negative is supposedly due to a bad childhood. "That pony is different from the rest? She must have awful parents!" Seriously, this is one of the most offensive things to ever come from this fandom. I am just as shy and timid, if not, more than Fluttershy, and I was never abused by my parents. This one really offends me, because not only are they accusing Fluttershy's parents of abuse, but they're sort of accusing MY parents of abuse, and the parents of other painfully shy people.

Molestia- Sex jokes are one thing, but whenever someone takes it to the level of rape or molestation, it's just wrong. It's unnecessary, and I seriously doubt that any sane person finds rape/molestation jokes funnier than normal sex jokes. If you do, than you need to see a doctor.

The following kinds of shipping:

Incest (Applejack X Big Mac)

Pedophilia (Self Insert OC X Sweetie Belle)

And both of these at once gets an obvious disapproval from me.

Rainbow Dash Is Gay- This is the strangely homophobic side of the fandom. I really don't understand why there is such thing as a homophobic brony. We watch a show for girls and openly mock gender roles, for crying out loud. After being accused for so long of being gay because you watch this show, why would you go accusing Rainbow Dash of being gay? Just because she's a tomboy and she has a rainbow colored mane? Sounds pretty hypocritical if you ask me. I have nothing against homosexuality, and I wish that kids shows were allowed to portray it in a positive light, but our society is homophobic and deems that as "inappropriate." If you want to fight for the rights of homosexuals, go for it! But don't use Rainbow Dash in your campaign, because you're doing nothing but promoting stereotypes.

So that's my list. Are there any fandom ideas, theories, etc. that offend you?

• Brohoof 11

Yeah, i have a few.

First would be Any kind of shippings with celestia or really, anything that doesn't appeal to me, and has her involved... :/ . Second would be, well, not that much, but it does offend me when i'm in a bad mood. It would be molestia. When i'm in a good mood, it's a good laugh :P.

I really am to tired to think of any more :/

• Brohoof 2

note only the first one rely offends me the rest are just nicks and things 

Molestia - it encourages rape culture and Brony's find it humorous...... NO!

Shippings- self insert OC and Cannon characters  i just can't get into storied like this because once you see that part you get the entire fan fics purpose 

Fannon > Cannon, aka when people take something in the fannon as fact over the cannon, its annoying

Ditzy Do being called Derpy- as some one who was teased for having a lazy eye, it bugs me that people try to defend this, as long as it remains fannon and not cannon I don't rely have a problem with it.  

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 2

Everything you said illustrates the problems with the ones you listed very well, and they're pretty much what I think of 'em, too.

The whole OMGZZZZZ TWO BACKGROUND PONIES APPEAR TOGETHER A LOT! THEY'RE A LESBIAN COUPLE!!!!!!1 offends me. I mean, can't two characters just exist within five inches of each other without being lesbians?

Pretty much any grasping-at-straws-to-imply-two-or-more-characters-are-in-a-relationship-with-each-other thing offends me. I've got nothing with shipping, even though I don't partake in it myself, but trying to make it canon by grasping at straws? Just... why? Like I mentioned a few sentences before, two characters can exist within five inches of each other without being life partners.

• Brohoof 1

Not really, Molestia is quite funny in my opinion.  The only thing I can really think of is some Shippings like Applemac for example.  

Molestia - it encourages rape culture and Brony's find it humorous...... NO!

Actually it says on the site that it's a joke.

" If you take this site seriously, you really do belong on the moon"  (quoting from the actual site not my words)

There aren't too many things that I find offensive in the fandom.  Only time I draw a line in the proverbial sand is pedophilia, incest of minors, and extreme violent tendencies towards characters.  Example would be the fanon idea of "Scootabuse." 

The molestia thing is done in good taste imho, so i'm not overly concerned with it.  I started viewing the tumblr a while ago, and the artist is definitely respectful when concering characters, knowing when and when not to go into certain areas. 

Other than that, i'm pretty much ok with certain things as long as they aren't taken too far. 

I personally like the character name Derpy, despite what some may think.  The conotation of a word can evolve with time for either good purposes or bad.  Though i'm probably wrong, I see the word "Derpy" as meaning clumsy, air headed, bubbly, a "goofy moment," etc., instead of the "R-word" that it probably carried/carries with some people.  Despite what people believe, I really think our muffin loving pony, with her googly-eyes, is a pony with a kind heart, is a carring mother, and just has a run of bad luck from time to time.

Edited by Genepool
  • Brohoof 1

Scootabuse

I've never heard that term before, and now that I have, I have another thing added to my list. 

Actually it says on the site that it's a joke. " If you take this site seriously, you really do belong on the moon"  (quoting from the actual site not my words)

We already know it's a joke, but the fact that people find it amusing in any way is just wrong.

The following kinds of shipping:

Incest (Applejack X Big Mac)

Pedophilia (Self Insert OC X Sweetie Belle)

And both of these at once gets an obvious disapproval from me.

I hate them the most.

Every time (in latest fan fictions) on fimfiction I see a new fan fiction like that die a little inside and want to kill the author.

In a way that stuff promotes rape.

Nor will I read some strange clopfic with crazy violent torture fetish stuff. That would just sicken me.

Everything else I could say whatever floats your boat. (Yes even clop, if they want to write a lovestory/exotic about adult sapient beings of Pony and Pony and or "X" Sapient Being And Pony I couldn't care less. If non sapient, then no I will not read it.)

Though, all the character must be in character and good like they are in the show. I'm not gonna read a story where Pinkie Pie is portrayed as a serial killer and a cannibal, that's just silly and way out of character.

Now, I do stories like where they go through heartship (yet remain good and in character) where they must fight a unspeakable evil. Lose friends, cry, comfort one another, and see the odd light (hope) in the darkness.

I also like fan fiction that explore all kinds of what if scenarios and alternate universe scenarios.

Crossover, Humans, comedy, shipping, nonsense, I like too.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

Actually it says on the site that it's a joke.

" If you take this site seriously, you really do belong on the moon"  (quoting from the actual site not my words)

yes i know its a joke but the very thing its jokes about isn't funny,  rape a molestation are not things to be poked at for your amusement.

1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Any

you know, I kinda prefer the moon right about now

• Brohoof 2

Yay, another "hate those people in the fandom who...." thread. That's new and unheard of. It must be like... Hours since the last one!

Hey, an idea -  don't read / watch the stuff that makes you sick and "offends" you. I really can't stand women who get rid of their eyebrows and draw new ones, so I avoid them and I don't go on and on about it. 

People who consider themselves the judge and the jury sicken and offend me. Does that count?

• Brohoof 9

I have a confession to make...I like Ask Princess Molestia. :wub:  This particular Molestia teases her subjects endlessly but she's fair about it. She doesn't do anything to anypony she wouldn't want done to her and she never molests fillies or colts. Of course, there are other depictions of Molestia out there which are much more grimdark and explicit. Those I do not care for.

And of course I'm against rape, incest, and cannibalism (Cupcakes).  That's like being against dirty air and ATM fees.  Society isn't perfect but there are still a number of commonly held mores and some things go without saying. 

• Brohoof 1

Molestia > Same reason as stated by you. It's not funny. It's sickening.

(Insert name of OC here) has been in an episode > But I've never seen it and you can't tell me in which episode it is in. So I'm calling lying on that one.

Fanfics that are gore for the sake of gore > I'm talking about fanfics like Cupcakes, Rocket to Insanity, and Sweet Apple Massacre. Grim darks are fine though.

I do not like this pony because of this fan fiction > This goes with fanon over canon. I think that explains enough.

I'd say that's about it.

• Brohoof 3

Alot of fannon depictions at least the ones that are really out of character such as Molestia or Pinkie Pie in Cupcakes are done for the sake of humor and were never meant to be taken seriously in the first place. And it is fairly difficult to offend a person like me so I can't really think of all that much in the fandom that would offend me. I don't like pedophilia though and avoid that like the plague, but as much as that makes me want to vomit I can take comfort that the fillies and colts depicted are at least not real children. I am also disgusted by rape but as long as someone just keeps it in the world of fantasy I can deal with it.

Oddly enough, Princess Molestia jokes don't offend me at all, and I've genuinly found some of them funny. But I draw a line between fictional characters and real characters. As in, jokes like that about real people would offend me, but not about ponies.

To be honest OP, it isn't any of your business what other people in the fandom enjoy, If you don't want to see it don't look for it, or just ignore it. Some people will like things you don't, last time I checked, that's one of the first things you learn in life. 

The only thing that offends me in the fandom is people who consider parts of the fandom wrong. They are just as bad as those who hate bronies in general, to me. You should just enjoy and look at/read what you want to. If you don't actively search out things you don't like they might as well not exist in your eyes.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 2

Basically all of it.

But I'll just have to accept that the show studios have officially been calling the gray pegasus mare with yellow hair Derpy since at least February 2011. It is not really any more offensive a name than Ditzy.

I never have and never will read written fan material. The whole point of the show is that it is a visual medium and the storyboarding they come up with is essential.

Edited by GuillermoGage

yes i know its a joke but the very thing its jokes about isn't funny,  rape a molestation are not things to be poked at for your amusement.

img-1058517-1-1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_T

you know, I kinda prefer the moon right about now

Rape and molestation of fictional characters is utterly and completely different from rape or molestation of real people. The first one can be poked fun at, the second one cannot. People who think otherwise have their right to but they shouldn't take the "I'm holier than thou" approach when talking to those who think differently.

Rape and molestation of fictional characters is utterly and completely different from rape or molestation of real people. The first one can be poked fun at, the second one cannot. People who think otherwise have their right to but they shouldn't take the "I'm holier than thou" approach when talking to those who think differently.

honestly its not the fictional charater part that bothers me is the 'rape' and 'molestation' part (something i sadly studied allot about to a very depressing and sick conclusion)

either way those things are being used as a source of humor and its were I draw my line, its not me trying to be just or that i'm even right, i mean i enjoy violent grim darks and black comedy but i cross the line at rape....... that just me based on what i studied and learnt 

I'm not going to link the picture here as it's inappropriate for this forum, I'm guessing most of you have seen it already. Also, this really isn't fanon, but people still joke about it.

My Little Flesh Light.

Those things are just sick. Why do they even exist?

Edited by Zink

I'm not going to link the picture here as it's inappropriate for this forum, I'm guessing most of you have seen it already. Also, this really isn't fanon, but people still joke about it.

My Little Flesh Light.

Those things are just sick. Why do they even exist?

For cloppers obviously, but with how difficult the cleanup would be with one of those things it just seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Oddly enough, Princess Molestia jokes don't offend me at all, and I've genuinly found some of them funny. But I draw a line between fictional characters and real characters. As in, jokes like that about real people would offend me, but not about ponies.

To be honest OP, it isn't any of your business what other people in the fandom enjoy, If you don't want to see it don't look for it, or just ignore it. Some people will like things you don't, last time I checked, that's one of the first things you learn in life. 

The only thing that offends me in the fandom is people who consider parts of the fandom wrong. They are just as bad as those who hate bronies in general, to me. You should just enjoy and look at/read what you want to. If you don't actively search out things you don't like they might as well not exist in your eyes.

You may be right, for the most part, but the very first thing I listed really gets to me on a personal level. I just don't understand why a person's personality flaw should be interpreted as a result of traumatic experience, when there is no evidence. I am just as shy as Fluttershy, and when someone says that Fluttershy is shy as a result of a traumatic experience, it offends me, because it feels like they are saying the same about me. I'm not saying my shyness isn't at all a personality flaw, but it is a huge part of my personality and I really hate it when someone suggests that it was caused by something horrible. It sounds like they are saying something is psychologically wrong with me. Maybe I relate myself to Fluttershy more than I should, but we share a lot of the same personality traits. I hope you understand.

For cloppers obviously, but with how difficult the cleanup would be with one of those things it just seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Aren't they disposable or something? Do you wash it in a dishwasher with all your cups and pans?

Heck if I know. 

And no, I'm not doing the research. 

• Brohoof 2

Personally, the only thing that bothers me is Rule 34, but then I just pretty much avoid the stuff and pay it no mind, so it's no real skin off my nose.

With regard to Rainbow Dash's sexuality, I think that's just a character interpretation, and not necessarily homophobic.  It's another thing entirely if people said they didn't like her because they assumed she was a lesbian. 

Besides which, if you look at the shipping in fandom, *every* pony is a lesbian. 

• Brohoof 1

When people consider Ditzy Doo mentally retarded in fan fictions, animations etc...

I dislike the fact that people think of her in that way because of the fact that she has been seen as clumsy and because of her eyes.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mind Princess Molestia, I find the meme quite humorous, actually. Little Miss Rarity is another good one, too. Nothing wrong with a little dark comedy now and then. Albeit overall I think there's too much grimdark, but there's a time and place for everything.

The only thing that really disturbs me is when people abuse or kill fillies and colts. Case-in-point, I heard the dramatic reading of Sweet Apple Masacre yesterday, and I felt deeply disturbed in a way that not many things can do to me, anymore. Subjects like rape and violence don't revolt me when they are fictional, but even then, it is NEVER ok when the victims are children.

Other than that, nothing really disturbs me. Maybe it's because of all the time I've spent on places like Something Awful and Ogrish before becoming a Brony. *pony shrug*

Edited by StratoPegasus
  • Brohoof 1