Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you live in a nuclear family, or an extended one?

Jack Durango

A nuclear family (also known as an elementary family) is a family group consisting of a pair of adults and their children. It came about in the West, particularly America, in the early 20th century, and is becoming increasingly common in the world today. It is a rather competent and successful social unit in a capitalist society, or where income wages of the parents allow them to live independently.

An extended family consists of non-immediate family members (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins) who live either nearby or within the same household as the immediate family members (mother, father, children). This is the traditional family group, and has been observed all over the world. Extended families are particularly found in agricultural industry and non-capitalist societies.

Some in-universe examples:

Sweetie Belle lives with her and Rarity's mother and father, and as far as we've seen, no one else. They are a nuclear family unit.

Granny Smith, Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Apple Bloom all live on the farm together. Granny Smith is the eldest, and the immediate parents of Applejack, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom, all of the same generation, are nowhere to be seen. They are an extended family.

I am simply curious as to where people come from. There are members from all over the world on these forums, and a slice of life we may not be familiar with, but with which we can relate, is a slice of awareness gained. :)

There are a few different types of family groups that aren't exactly nuclear or extended, but I'm keeping things simple here. If you are in one of these unmentioned family groups and care to mention/describe it, feel free to do so. If you are living by yourself or with a partner but do not have kids, you can say what family you come from. If you are not sure, here is some further reading.

I live in a nuclear family, by the way: Mom, Pops, and Bro. Sis lives with her husband and two kids (me nephews) twenty miles away.

• Brohoof 1

Nuclear....although my extended family all live within 30 minutes of each other. So, I see each other twice a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. but it's usually at least once a month. This is my mother's side of the family.

Edited by angels_gal

Ah, this takes me back to my sociology classes in college. And now I feel old.

I currently live in a nuclear family. My two elder brothers have moved away so it's just my parents and I.

• Brohoof 1

Totally nuclear, along with the rest of my extended family. It's me, an older brother, a younger sister and my two parents. We've never had a cousin living in with us, or any other extended member. We're quite literally sorted into our own nuclear households.

Extended family over here. I live on a farm with my brother, my parents and my grandparent(s). Both of my grandfathers have passed away, but my aunt also lives with my grandmother, so she's not alone. They are basically my father's side of the family.

My mother's side all live in Malaysia, Singapore or Australia, on the other side of the World. Sadly, a little bit more than a 30-minute drive.

A nuclear family.  The only ones in my house are my parents, myself, my sister, and my cat.   It gets boring around here, but I wouldn't like the chaos that will ensue if my extended family comes to live with us.  

Nope. My parents are divorced. I USED to live in a nuclear family, but now the only time I do is when me and my mom go to visit my dad and his parents. I'm an only child, too.

I grew up in an extended and nuclear family together I guess.  Just me and my parents in our house, but my grandparents lived next door.  It was like we all lived on the same property, kinda.   There were some days when I didn't see my grandparents and some days I spent all day with them. After my grandfather passed away, my grandmother lived with us for a while after she had some surgery and needed extra help until she could stay next door alone again.  

I live with my father, mother, and 2 brothers, so we're a typical nuclear family. We have relatives in both the same and nearby states, all within a few hours drive and in various places around Italy and France.

I live in a nuclear family, we all glow in the dark and whenever we go past Geiger counters they go crazy, its quite frustrating really...

oh wait, not that kind of nuclear?

• Brohoof 2

I live with my parents, and always have, so that explains that. Although the vast majority of my family on both sides live in state. My mom's side live really close so I see them a lot.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm in a nuclear family- just me and my parents- and have been from the start... I have an uncle and an aunt that live a little distance away from here, though, while most of my other relatives are in a different country.

• Brohoof 3

I live with my mom and step dad (but sadly, he has to work out of town for a month) but at the other side, I live with my step mom, dad, younger sister and brother. So, Yes

• 3 weeks later...

I live in a nuclear family, and I always feel a little strange when visiting my extended family. Probably because I've lived nearly my entire life away from them (in the case of my Dad's family, I've lived halfway across the world from them).