Latin is the best language

Harmonic Revelations

Latin makes everything sound cool. I mean seriously, listen to this nursery rhyme become awesome.

"The wheels on the bus go round and round"

In Latin it is:

rotarum super bus ire circum et circum

That's just awesome.

Or how about this

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down

Pontis Londoniarum cecidit, cecidit, cecidit

No one can argue that Latin isn't cool. B)

Latin is best language.

Edited by Aeternae Salutis
  • Brohoof 6

No señor. Español es mejor idioma.

I honestly want to take Latin. But unfortunately, they don't offer it as a class at my school. It's definately a language I want to learn sometime in my life.

• Brohoof 3

I think the same bout Hebrew and Greek. And most languages I don't speak (Hey, that rhymed! :D). They sound awesome til you know what they mean.

• Brohoof 1

I think the same bout Hebrew and Greek. And most languages I don't speak (Hey, that rhymed! :D). They sound awesome til you know what they mean.

I can speak some German. German is also a pretty cool language, especially to sing in. If you like both German and Latin listen to E Nomine, it combines the two.

I don't even know where people who spoke Latin were originally from. Whenever I hear the word "Latin", I think of Latin America, as in  Latino. Is that it? I feel really stupid for asking this.

(edited)

I don't even know where people who spoke Latin were originally from. Whenever I hear the word "Latin", I think of Latin America, as in  Latino. Is that it? I feel really stupid for asking this.

Romans spoke Latin, for starts. Latin later mutated into Italian, Latin is the precursor of English. We use the Latin Alphabet. Some Catholic priests and bishops can speak Latin. So it originated from Rome and the like.

Also, I changed my username to be in Latin, I've been obsessed with it recently.

• Brohoof 1

Not that I know latin or anything but it is a beautiful language. I commend those who have gone out to learn other languages! You are helping yourself so much by doing that. 

Here is a song I know that is sung in latin.

• Brohoof 1

My brother said it was, but I'm pretty sure he was trolling me because I remember very clearly that it wasn't from there from Social Studies a few years ago.

I would agree that Latin is pretty cool, same with welsh. Both are unique, but I would also say English is pretty cool sounding, just most of us don't know it since it is our native language.

My brother said it was, but I'm pretty sure he was trolling me because I remember very clearly that it wasn't from there from Social Studies a few years ago.

Latin (11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/?læt?n/; Latin: lingua lat?na; IPA: [?l????a la?ti?na]) is an ancient language[2] originally spoken in Latium andAncient Rome. Along with most European languages, it is a descendant of the ancient Proto-Indo-European language. It originated in the Italian peninsula. Although it is considered a dead language, many students, scholars, and members of the Christian clergy speak it fluently, and it is still taught in some primary and secondary and many post-secondary educational institutions around the world.[3] Latin is still used in the creation of new words in modern languages of many different families, including English, and in biological taxonomy. Latin and its daughter Romance languages are the only surviving languages of the Italic language family. Other languages of the Italic branch are attested in the inscriptions of early Italy, but were assimilated to Latin during the Roman Republic.

That is, according to Wikipedia.

Latin is definitely an awesome language. If I ever learn another language, it'll be Latin.

It sounds cool as ice, it looks freaken awesome, it's used in science, it's THE ORIGINAL English, Spanish, Italian, and many other languages.

Plus, it's dead. You don't have to constantly worry about keeping up with changes made to the language, or new words that are added.

• Brohoof 1

Romans spoke Latin, for starts. Latin later mutated into Italian, Latin is the precursor of English. We use the Latin Alphabet. Some Catholic priests and bishops can speak Latin. So it originated from Rome and the like.

Also, I changed my username to be in Latin, I've been obsessed with it recently.

Actually English is a Germanic dialect. infact, there is a stark similiarity between english, german, dutch, and others.

just check out this vid.

I tend to favor Greek over Latin tho.

Edited by zombronie
  • Brohoof 1

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER learn Hebrew. I mean, I have no issue with someone learning it very basically like learning how to answer questions and write short stories or songs, even, but once you get into the complex stuff, you will come home from school with splinters in your mouth from facedesking. I mean, to say "I woke you up", you have to say "Ani hit'ava'kamitem" or something along those lines, instead of "we woke up"= "Anachnu kamnu". It's absolutely ridiculous. Coming from a long-time Hebrew speaker, BTW.

As for the original, Latin is pretty awesome. However, you spelled some of the words wrong in the first one. Lemme fix that:

rotarvm svper bvs ire circvm et circvm

Remember, there are no U's, J's, or W's.

No, no. Latin America is called that because it speaks Latino, which is actually one of the closest links to original Latin the world has today. Rome was very close to Spain, from whence the colonists came to Latin America, so they took their Roman/Spanish culture with them, which mingled and became Latino. Not to be confused with Ladino, the original Jewish language.

(edited)

Actually English is a Germanic dialect. infact, there is a stark similiarity between english, german, dutch, and others.

just check out this vid.

I tend to favor Greek over Latin tho

There are similiarities but Latin is much more similar to English than German, if anything, the similarities are simply because modern English is a clutter of every language squeezed together, from when British just incorporated everything they could find into their language.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER learn Hebrew. I mean, I have no issue with someone learning it very basically like learning how to answer questions and write short stories or songs, even, but once you get into the complex stuff, you will come home from school with splinters in your mouth from facedesking. I mean, to say "I woke you up", you have to say "Ani hit'ava'kamitem" or something along those lines, instead of "we woke up"= "Anachnu kamnu". It's absolutely ridiculous. Coming from a long-time Hebrew speaker, BTW.

As for the original, Latin is pretty awesome. However, you spelled some of the words wrong in the first one. Lemme fix that:

rotarvm svper bvs ire circvm et circvm

Remember, there are no U's, J's, or W's.

No, no. Latin America is called that because it speaks Latino, which is actually one of the closest links to original Latin the world has today. Rome was very close to Spain, from whence the colonists came to Latin America, so they took their Roman/Spanish culture with them, which mingled and became Latino. Not to be confused with Ladino, the original Jewish language.

I'm not fluent in Latin so I'm not sure how to spell them correctly. So I apoligize for any mistakes I make, like I said, I really want to learn. I'm just starting to learn Latin.

Even though it's spelled wrong I still think it's pronounced like I spelled it if I'm not mistaken, I probably am though, I'm not good in Latin at all. I'm okay in German, though.

@Aeternae Salutis Yes, it is pronounced like a U, but the letter U simply did not exist. When spoken, of course, you'd say "Rom-you-luss", not "Rom-yiv-liviss". However, Rome is famous for its written messages, in which V's were used instead.

True dat, true dat, Latin is indeed awesome, and I majorly miss getting to study it and Roman culture and history in general.  Ah well, the sacrifices one makes to become an American Studies major.  :)

I agree. I started to get fascinated in it when I took a introductory music history course and we went over Renaissance choral music, which oftentimes is spoken (sung?) in Latin.

I oftentimes love the names of them: O Nata Lux De Lumine ("O Born Light of Light"), Te Lucis Ante Terminum ("Before the Ending"), etc.

I've always thought using Latin for a username would be cool, like lux aeterna ("Eternal Light"). However, the fact of the matter is that I really know nothing of the language. I had to take a foreign language in college, however, I chose Spanish. I'm not sure that Latin would count for the foreign language credit since it's not spoken anymore.

Latin is a perfect language to sing, especially on orchestral songs, geez, it sounds amazing <3 

Fatal flaw is that not many speak it anymore, which kinda makes it useless to comunicate :( funny how, without this language, other 5 languages wouldn't exist, incluiding spanish D:

I have enough fregin trouble with the English language, I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to handle learning Spanish when I start taking it.. much less learning Latin. or any language for that matter.

Its a pretty cool language I guess, obviously being another language and all though its a bit confusing. :P.

My friend took Latin last semester at college, and she learned that Latin is actually pretty flexible with sentence structure-- the way she explained it to me was that if you want to say "the cow is alone in the pasture," you can form the sentence to be like "pasture cow alone inside" so that the word "cow" is in the middle of the sentence as though it was in the middle of a pasture.

As for it being a "dead" language, it's useful in learning other languages, at the very least. It's not worthless. :3

• Brohoof 1

Latine est optima loquela.

I love the way it sound. Anything you might have to say in Latin sounds like a Harry Potter spell. Of course, reason being, most of the incantations in that series were based on Latin.

I wish I knew Latin, but Latin in my High School was a joke. Absolute rubbish. It was said that you would end up learning more Latin in Biology. So I took Spanish instead. But I'd still learn Latin if I could.

((Sic diligo canerent. Ut ne quid Harrius Potter latine dicere carmen. Quidem ratio est, cum plerique ex serie in carminibus Latinis.

Vellem scire Latine, pede sed Latinum fuisse in ioco. Absoluta rudera. Dictum ut vos would terminus sursum doctrinam magis Latinam in Biology. Tuli ergo Spanish instead. Sed tamen scire vellem si possem Latine.))

See? Google Translate doesn't quite cut it!
Edited by Descant
  • Brohoof 1

A lot of it's in etymology so I know some, but very little; just what I've learned from studying that field.

I still think Welsh is the coolest sounding language though; everything sounds so rough yet some words are really beautiful. It's an awesome thing to speak :3

Edited by Asuka Langley Soryu