Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Banned TV shows of your childhood

AnonyPoni

Did your parents ban certain tv shows in your house? Which ones? Do you agree with the banning?

These shows were "officially" banned in our house.

Fairly Odd Parents

Ed, Ed, and Eddy

Courage the Cowardly Dog

Codename Kids Next Door

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends

Only the 2nd and 3rd ones made sense to me. Fairly Odd Parents was been banned since... well... i cant remember. It's not because of magic or anything, it's was.... something else (seriously, my parents dont even remember). As for KND, and FHIF, they forgot about the ban but I remembered and didn't watch the shows ever after... which sucked since they were absolutely awesome.

As for Fairly Odd Parents, I'm still way too scared to watch it, even though i'm 17 and watch much more scarier shows....

Pokemon

Digimon

Foster's home

I had a horrible childhood, I've been trying to make up for it by attempting to watch all the pokemon episodes I can....so far, I got 3, but I love every second of it ;_;

• Brohoof 4

ZOMG!! I couldnt imagine childhood without KND or Courage the Cowardly Dog!!

Well, I wasnt allowed to watch the Simpsons (started to at the age of 18), Cow and Chicken, Goosebumps, and Inuyasha D:

My luck was that I watched almost all of the KND episodes before they "banned" it, so that worked okish...

Funny, I technically was allowed to watch the Simpsons. It's funny how my parents let me watch stuff like Stargate SG1, but not let me watch Fairly Odd Parents...

Hmm.. I don't think anything like that was banned for me, because "cartoons are for kids" is the kind of mindset my parents have. But i could tell that my mother didn't really approve/understand my interest in Dragon Ball Z when i was in highschool. But i guess that was mainly because she wanted to watch television at the same time.

Pokemon (For awhile, I convinced em to let me.)

That's about it... As long as it wasn't PG-13 or higher, I was allowed to watch it. But for some reason they didn't want me watching Pokemon, never understood why.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Ed Edd n Eddy, and anything on adult swim. Looking back on it, I laugh. Those shows were pretty dumb, anyway

Hmm.. I don't think anything like that was banned for me, because "cartoons are for kids" is the kind of mindset my parents have. But i could tell that my mother didn't really approve/understand my interest in Dragon Ball Z when i was in highschool. But i guess that was mainly because she wanted to watch television at the same time.

Dragon Ball Z, a show that i'm glad my parents didn't ban :P It seems violence in TV was ok with my parents. Exactly what was wrong with the some ofh the shows they told my I couldnt watch is beyond me.

South Park, k' that might of been my sister's idea but the principal still stands. Beside my sisters bitching about that one, we were actually free to watch anything as long as we didn't repeat whatever happened.

It's not like we were gonna imitate that stuff, we weren't brain dead...

Surprisingly, I have the most strict parents I've ever met, yet there was never a cartoon ban in my home. (other than obviously adult shows like The Simpsons and such) I couldn't imagine my childhood without Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy. :wub:

Edited by Swick
  • Brohoof 1

I wasn't banned from watching any cartoon shows when I was a kid. I don't know if I consider myself lucky for that though. I was cheated out of a lot of hours that I could have been spending doing something productive. I'd probably be a pretty great artist or music composer today if I hadn't spent so much of my time watching silly cartoons. I must admit though, a lot of the shows I grew up with were pretty awesome. Rugrats, Spongebob (the older episodes), Johnny Bravo, Scooby Doo, Animaniacs, Xiaolin Showdown, Pokemon,The Wild Thornberry's, ...*sigh*...those were the days.

I'm glad that the torch of quality has been passed down, so to speak, with great shows like Adventure Time, MLP, Gravity Falls, The Amazing World of Gumball, and The Regular Show. 

Edited by jackleapp81
  • Brohoof 2

My parents would always watch "Miami Vice" when they thought I went to bed.  I would sneak out and watch parts from around the corner.  I was really little and don't remember but that's what they told me...

My siblings and I were banned from watching "soap opera" shows (aka Disney Channel shows) because they didn't portray reality and they thought they taught us bad morals or something...to this day I'm still not sure why. They didn't like us watching most cartoons either, especially not Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. 

We really ended up watching them anyways and I don't think I'm a terrible person because of it. I think my parents were just weirdly strict about the most random things. 

Simpsons, family Guy, stuff like that. I also couldn't watch DBZ, which I don't even watch now, but that was about it. I can't imagine a childhood without toonami (Old Cartoon Network  :wub:) ! Also, R.I.P. the good old Cartoon Network. That was the shit.

Time to delve into my box of childhood memories! Hmmm...banned cartoons....Edd Ed 'n Eddy, The Simpsons, South Park (and all the "adult" cartoons), Pokemon and Dragonball Z. I'm super mad at my parents for the last two. It's like a mandatory chunk of childhood was ripped from my life!

Edited by CamRad18

A lot of people keep saying the simpsons. My mom hated it, but my dad watched them a lot too, they're not as retarded as family guy, so I grew up watching them and a gazillion other TV shows, when I was litte I watched so many cartoons, I can hardly remember them xD

Hello!

Wow, i feel quite lucky after reading some of the posts here. I was never banned from watching any cartoons in my childhood, but, i never had Cartoon network anyways, so i watched most of the shows that were on JETIX (First known as FOX kids)

I never really had any shows that were banned in my house

At least ones that I can remember, my mom never had to bother me about shows like

South Park, The Simpsons, Futurama, etc. because well I had enough common sense

To not watch things like that, even though my two babysitters used to let me and my sister

Watch Lord Of The Rings and play Grand Theft Auto when we were only 5 years old

Get this: My parents didn't let me watch Avatar: The Last Airbender when I was a lil kid. I can't specifically remember why. But yeah, I don't think any other children's shows were banned at my house.

OH WAIT! I forgot a couple! I also was not allowed to watch Yu-Gi-Yoh, and at first, Kids Next Door. Yeah. That's about it.

Edited by letterONE

Get this: My parents didn't let me watch Avatar: The Last Airbender when I was a lil kid. I can't specifically remember why. But yeah, I don't think any other children's shows were banned at my house.

OH WAIT! I forgot a couple! I also was not allowed to watch Yu-Gi-Yoh, and at first, Kids Next Door. Yeah. That's about it.

Oh sweet celestia, a childhood without Avatar? O..o i dont think my mind could have processed that :P

Ah, that was a good show (terrible movie, though :/)

• Brohoof 2

In my home, nothing was banned. I never even got punished as a child, infact, I played Halo when it first came out (My parents knew all about it) , at that point, I was only about seven years old, if my math doesn't fail me. Also I first drove an ATV when I was four years old, so there wasn't much I couldn't do.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

Never really banned me from watching anything as a kid. Unless you count that time my mother caught me watching Sailor Moon, but that's a whole nother story there :blush:

In my home, nothing was banned. I never even got punished as a child, infact, I played Halo when it first came out (My parents knew all about it)

Funny reading that, reminds me of something like that. When I was like 4 or 5 (Forgot which it was) parents bought me a PS and first thing I got with it, Mortal Kombat Antholgy. Can't ban a kid from cartoons when you bought them a bloody fighter ^_^