Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just how "goddess like" is Celestia

TheMarkz0ne

How powerful is Celestia. I wish the hub would give us more backstory on her. we don't even know if she is a natural alicorn. But how strong can she be. we know she has lived 1000 years, she knows dark magic. But there are moments where I question her abilities. like in canterlot wedding where i think it was chrysalis who wrapped her in a green pod and she was hanging from the ceiling. So she might be a demi god. But it seems that she has her limits. The elements of harmony are obviously more powerful than her. so what if twilight eventually overcomes celestia's powers?

I don't think its possible that Twilight will overcome Celestia's powers. Sure, Twilight has learned a lot of magic but its going to take more then magic to surpass an Alicorn's demi-god abilities. We will see, probably at the Princess Coronation.

• Brohoof 3

104p9pj.jpg

It appears that Luna and Celestia both function similarly to that of the noble-ranking Asgardians from Marvel. In the words of Natalia Ramanova, they're both basically gods -- though of course, the definition of "god" has turned out to be relative in regards to both of them in recent months. They are higher beings than that of normal Equestrians which is clear-cut since they're both universally known for their longevity, and the vast amounts of knowledge Celestia's picked up over the centuries no doubt contributes to her understanding of many magical arts other than the basic unicorn magic we've all come to know. In turn it gives them a sharp, definitive edge from a power standpoint.

• Brohoof 6

I'd honestly like to see an episode that shows Celestia and Luna when they were young, like the Mane 6's ages. They could've had 4 friends, and they could've even had their own mane 6. However, I don't think that even when Twilight does become an Alicorn, she's not going to surpass Celestia's powers' anytime soon. The ponies say Celestia in place of God. For example: "With Celestia as my witness...", "Dear Celestia...". SO they obviously worship her like a goddess.

• Brohoof 5

Celestia is one of the most powerful things in Equestria.  She however is not invincible, and can be defeated.  Twilight has the power to become more powerful then her.  

I think that the Celestia we have now is WAY different from what she was supposed to be in Lauren Faust's idea. Not that it matters, but, to me, she was a lot more "godlike" in the first season than she is now. Specially after Cadance appeared as an alicorn; but even more after Hearth Warming Eve.

I think that this episode turned her into just a long lived ruler and a wise mentor. And I don't really like it.

• Brohoof 1

She's the Goddess of the Sun so of course she would be really powerful despite her getting defeated by Chrysalis in the Canterlot Wedding. She has over 1000 years of knowledge and encountered multiple enemies but everyone have their limits, in fact I think Twilight has the potential to become more powerful and magical than Celestia after a couple of decades since she's proven herself to Celestia that she's already ready to become a Princess/Alicorn.

I think Celestia was once really powerful but after seeing A Canterlot Wedding i would have to say her powers are dying down due to her age. Also seeing as she took on Twilight as a protege this usually means the teacher is aging and will die soon if they are following the norms of stories like these.

We've seen that they can be defeated. I would think their seemingly godlike abilities come from centuries of knowledge and experience with magic. We've had nothing to contrast it to--unless you count Chrysalis--so some assume they're a type of divinity.

Edited by EmmerichWolfe

Oh god not this crap again...

I think that people hate on Celestia way too much. Sure, the Elements of Harmony are more powerful, bla bla bla. The thing is, without the Elements of Harmony, the mane six wouldn't stand a chance against Nightmare Moon or Discord. The mane six and the E of H are two completely different things, it's just that one can wield the other. Celestia can't wield them, but that doesn't make her weak. 

• Brohoof 2

We have no definitive measure on her power, its all too blurry; we can only speculate. I dont imagine children wanting to know what power Celestia holds either :P

The idea that her power is deteriorating is plausible (as she is no longer connected to the EofH), but questions the shows aspect of immortality. then again, has it been established that tia and luna are immortal? i forgot XP

How Godlike?

Completely. She has worshippers and fulfills a traditional role of both reign and "control of nature".

Not that godhood has anything to do with powers, as there are gods weaker than human children.

So far she is known to know much on magic, she raises the sun, strongest fighter in Canterlot and lives a very long time without aging according to Granny Smith. I wouldn't want her to be any kind of god or even a demi-god that just makes things really cheesy and boring.

I like to think her more like Gandalf or Dumbledore. They both live very long years compared to humans, are very powerful and have much knowledge on magic.

All in all being a god hasn't always meant one was invincible. Many gods have fallen before mortals in other genres of fiction after all.

Edited by poniesforfun

So far she is known to know much on magic, she raises the sun, strongest fighter in Canterlot and lives a very long time without aging according to Granny Smith. I wouldn't want her to be any kind of god or even a demi-god that just makes things really cheesy and boring.

I like to think her more like Gandalf or Dumbledore. They both live very long years compared to humans, are very powerful and have much knowledge on magic.

All in all being a god hasn't always meant one was invincible. Many gods have fallen before mortals in other genres of fiction after all.

Pro-tip, Gandalf IS a god, as is Sauron, Radagast and Saruman. Lesser ones, but still Gods. Read up on your Tolkien. :P

For all his "non-god" status, Dumbledore could easily be called one as well.

I don't know that much on Tolkien but I know for a fact if the guy dies then well he's not really a god and if Gandalf was a god he wasn't a really powerful one as he still participated in the war like a human instead of just snapping his fingers and just devastating the enemies. And Dumbledore dies... I would say he's more of a higher spiritual human not a god. There's lots of stories of humans that reach a higher level of consciousness and they gain a lot of abnormal abilities and live longer than normal humans but they had to achieve that consciousness somewhat.

I think that the Celestia we have now is WAY different from what she was supposed to be in Lauren Faust's idea. Not that it matters, but, to me, she was a lot more "godlike" in the first season than she is now. Specially after Cadance appeared as an alicorn; but even more after Hearth Warming Eve.

I think that this episode turned her into just a long lived ruler and a wise mentor. And I don't really like it.

Celestia's character in the first season appeared to be a classic case of Mary Sue when I first picked up FIM. She was kind, beautiful, intelligent, wise, implied that she possesses great power beyond her years, and to top it all off she is the ruler of an entire magical wonderland. The past couple of seasons have done a terrific job on portraying her as a real character with real feelings, though -- she was most vulnerable in "A Canterlot Wedding". Not only did she take a severe beating from Chrysalis (with amplified power), but even she was deceived into thinking that "Cadence" was the real deal. It's not much to go on, but it goes to show you that even figures of authority and your teachers are people, too.

• Brohoof 1

Quoting Ghetsis from Pokemon Black and White:

"A Pokémon, even if it's revered as a deity, is still just a Pokémon."

The likes of Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Zekrom, Reshiram, Regigigas, Lugia, Dialga ect. are revered and/or have had some strong powers that can basically mess with the world. Regigigas and Groudon are said to be responsible for the creation of the landmasses as their world knows them today. Zekrom and Reshiram split from a being who's power seems to match that of the supreme creature of their world (Arceus). Dialga has the power to distort and control time. Yet all of this titans can be defeated, and even killed. 

So an alicorn is just a pony, even if it's revered as a deity. 

All of this creatures within Pokemon lore seem to have an inmortal life span. Yet they can be taken down.

Pro-tip, Gandalf IS a god, as is Sauron, Radagast and Saruman. Lesser ones, but still Gods. Read up on your Tolkien. :P

For all his "non-god" status, Dumbledore could easily be called one as well.

None of those LOTR characters are gods. Again, the closest thing to a god MLP will ever get is Discord. And the characters you mentioned fall between Luna/Celestia and Discord in terms of what we've seen them do. 

Celestia's character in the first season appeared to be a classic case of Mary Sue when I first picked up FIM. She was kind, beautiful, intelligent, wise, implied that she possesses great power beyond her years, and to top it all off she is the ruler of an entire magical wonderland. The past couple of seasons have done a terrific job on portraying her as a real character with real feelings, though -- she was most vulnerable in "A Canterlot Wedding". Not only did she take a severe beating from Chrysalis (with amplified power), but even she was deceived into thinking that "Cadence" was the real deal. It's not much to go on, but it goes to show you that even figures of authority and your teachers are people, too.

Yeah. I agree, somewhat.

But this is really a matter of opinion. People look at characters like what Celestia used to be and yell "AAAH! MARY SUE!! KILL WITH FIRE!! AAAAAAAAAH!" Just a silly joke. Not saying that's you.

My point is that being "Mary Sue-ish" is not in itself a problem if the story calls for a character like this.

Let's suppose that in the Hearth Warming Eve episode Celestia revealed to Twilight that she and Luna have always been controlling the sun and the moon, and they let the unicorns think that they moved the celestial bodies around, so that they would have something to offer the other tribes, or even that the unicorns were outright lying. And then Cadance was a normal unicorn.

That would still allow the writers to come up with the events in the wedding, and Celestia would still to Chrysalis, because that's just how powerful love is. Even though all this reeked of "Worf Effect" to me, I'd be cool with this.

Maybe Hasbro just didn't want a "godlike" character in their story? We know that they forced Cadance to be an alicorn, and we don't know how much they interfered with the development of the episodes.

I'm not trying to convince that "they did wrong". Just throwing some thoughts to see what other fans think of them. To be honest, maybe the problem is just that we don't see enough of her (after all the show is about the Mane 6), but what about Luna's power of entering ponies' dreams? People don't complain of Luna because they like her, and because she got actual development.

Hello!

I wouldn't call Celestia a goddess. She is powerful, she is a ruler, but it's the fact, that most people that are on top of society are very similar. She has a title of a princess/queen, and there's no reason for her to be thought of as a god. I don't believe she is immortal aswell. She may look godly, or even act godly, but she's no god.

we don't even know if she is a natural alicorn.

We don't even know if there are natural alicorns. Since I refuse to count the alicorn filly in the background in Lesson Zero, all the alicorns we've seen have been royalty and have had tremendous power. Even Cadence seems to be a lot more powerful than an ordinary unicorn.

I'm not going to address the Chrysalis thing, because I've discussed it before, and anyway we really have no gauge on how powerful Chrysalis is, either.

Having said all that, it's my opinion that the royal sisters are the gods of the mlp universe. I think it's fair to say that controlling the sun is a godlike power, not to mention that their immortal and seemingly ageless. Also, you do see characters swearing to or by Celestia, as if she were a god of some sort.

• Brohoof 1

Quoting Ghetsis from Pokemon Black and White:

"A Pokémon, even if it's revered as a deity, is still just a Pokémon."

The likes of Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Zekrom, Reshiram, Regigigas, Lugia, Dialga ect. are revered and/or have had some strong powers that can basically mess with the world. Regigigas and Groudon are said to be responsible for the creation of the landmasses as their world knows them today. Zekrom and Reshiram split from a being who's power seems to match that of the supreme creature of their world (Arceus). Dialga has the power to distort and control time. Yet all of this titans can be defeated, and even killed. 

All of this creatures within Pokemon lore seem to have an inmortal life span. Yet they can be taken down.

Fun fact- if something is revered as a Deity... it is for all purposes a deity. Also, almost every god in existence has been defeated(or killed).

Arceus is a god in the pokemon world. Heck, so is several of the lesser pokemon.

As for killing them... The Norse Gods explicitly died in combat. And could die from old age(survived by eating "apples of youth"- but so could their human servants). And poison. And pretty much anything that could kill humans.

So an alicorn is just a pony, even if it's revered as a deity.

This statement is pretty dopey.

Thor is just a drunkard, even if he's revered as a Deity. Yahweh is just a burning bush, even if he's revered as a Deity.

None of those LOTR characters are gods.

All of the Ainur(Manwë, ) and their Maiar(Gandalf, Sauron, Saruman) were Gods. As was Eru.

Again, the closest thing to a god MLP will ever get is Discord. And the characters you mentioned fall between Luna/Celestia and Discord in terms of what we've seen them do.

Sorry, but no. Gods are merely supernatural objects/beings of worship with no specific level of power and ability.

Discord has massive ability, yet no worshippers, nor the title. Thus he is really not a god, just a very powerful creature(more powerful than the gods of his universe). Oh, and he gets nowhere close to beings like the Pokémon you mentioned above.

The same can be seen in northern mythology, where great mythical beasts kill gods.

Stop trying to dodge the fact: Celestia actually is a Goddess, and quite a powerful one compared to a lot of mythical ones.

Note that God=/=god, btw. The god called God is a god, though.

God-level isn't even specific, nor does it need to be incredibly powerful at all.

• Brohoof 1

i think shes still really powerful just in caterlot wedding she was defeated by love her raw non relationship alicorn powerful power had no effect....twilight will be a princess so she may get as strong as her but she isnt dying or anything it just has to do with the grasshoper surpassing the master:P

Edited by pinkieshyrose

I do not think she is a "god"  but

can be put into the aura of "godly" .  She does rise

the sun and no sun would mean the world would dye

as the end result but she also did the moon till

Luna came back to Rule the night.  Which makes

me wonder bout the rest of the world,  does she rule

only the Ponies what bout the other creatures and lands

that might be out there?