• No, I hated it >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

First let me tell you that this will be my most extensive
review of a MLP episode. It happens to be my first complete season (I began
watching the show towards the end of season two). This episode also had to be
the first one to actually make me emotional (say what you want, it’s what I felt).
I have always liked Twilight and I was proud to see her grow. Anyway on to the
review.

The Episode:

The beginning was a little confusing at first but it quickly
made the reason clear shortly. It was a little funny despite the apocalyptic
tone. Twilight’s sad song was heartbreaking and was fitting for the situation
and it became my favorite song of the episode. When Twilight finally figures
out how to cure her friends, the whole “flashback in the eyes” was an amazing
touch of detail. The song as well was fitting and upbeat, it brought the
happiness back. When all her friends blasted Twilight with their Element Rays,
and she was left a smoldering cutie mark on the floor totally surprised me. The
next scene totally reminded me of the scene in “Transformers 2” when Sam “died”
and met the Primes. Twilight was blasted into “another realm” (that’s what I’ve
been calling the unknown place). Princess Celestia’s ballad was my second
heartwarming song. It reminded me that I’m a father and I will see my son grow
before me and I’d be watching him seeing how he’d handle the worlds situations preparing
him for his next level of his life. Twilights Transformation was the next
emotional part for me. Likle I said before, I had watched Twilight grow
throughout the series and I come to like her. Seeing her become an Alicorn was
a great sight. When Princess Celestia announced that Twilight was now a
Princess…I bowed my head instinctively out of respect for her. Princess
Twilight’s ceremony was nice as well, with her family and the Three Princess’s;
Celestia, Luna and Cadence present. Her final remark was a good sign to come.

Review:

Pros:

• I like the musical style of the episode, it felt
    like an old Disney movie.

• The overall plot was a good story, and it referenced
    previous episodes as well.

• I liked the emotional setting of the story. It is
    the first episode to make me emotional.

• I liked to see Twilight grow up and be ready for
    what’s to come.

Cons:

• The episode felt rushed. It would have been
    better if it was in two parts.

• The beginning was confusing at first.

To me this was the best episode so far. I didn’t really have

a favorite one, and I guess I still don’t. but if I did, this one would be my
favorite.

• Brohoof 2

I must agree with a lot of you here about the episode being rushed, However!!, It was beautifully done.

Pros:

• Decent storyline/plot

• Beautiful heartwarming songs/music

• Friendship/friendship/friendship!

• Shining Armour saying "Leaking liquid pride"

Cons:

• Rushed Episode (could have at least panned it out over a couple of episodes)

• Brohoof 3

The first time I watched this episode, it felt really short and I thought it could have really used a two-parter. I still think that would've made for an overall better ending. However, after watching it again, and considering the amount of information that had to be crammed into thirty minutes, I think M.A. Larson and the crew did a great job. The songs were nice, and they provided an easy way to get the characters from one place to another quickly without breaking the flow of the scene. The ending was sweet, and, to be honest, I think it would've been a great finale to the entire show if Season Four wasn't already confirmed. The scene with Twilight and Princess Celestia looking back at older clips of the series, with Celestia actually singing, brought on all the feels. I didn't cry, though... I just had... liquid pride. Yeah.

Also... Twilacorn wasn't voiced by Morgan Freeman. Not sure if I should feel relieved or strangely disappointed.

Overall, it was a good (albeit quick) episode. I still think Season Two's finale was better, but it's hard to top A Canterlot Wedding. Here's to having a full, 26-episode-long Season Four appearing in the coming months!

• Brohoof 3

After reading through this thread, it seems almost blatantly obvious that everyone that's been complaining about the episode are all people who were whining about Alicorn Twilight to begin with and never gave the show a Legitimate chance from the start.

Or, alternatively, we just have different opinions. If everyone that dislikes the episode only does so because we're mindless Twilicorn haters, then I'll claim that everyone that does like the episode is just blind to obvious flaws and won't tolerate anyone that doesn't agree.

See? If that claim sounds blatantly false, take a look at what you claimed above. Don't generalize in such a way.

• Brohoof 2

All right, the bare bones of it:

-The animation was some of the best I've seen on the show.

-The story flowed well DESPITE the shorter run time.

-The characters showed how they've changed and matured.

-The songs (as always) are utterly fantastic.

Now that that's out of the way, here's my heartfelt opinion.

I have not wanted to cry so much since finishing Fallout: Equestria. Fittingly enough, this special finally cements that incredible story's status as an alternate future. Up to this point, the writers have not done anything that directly contradicted the events leading up to the Great War.

This episode felt like the show has become conscious of what it is and what it's become over three seasons. That is, a good cartoon capable of teaching lessons applicable to children as well as adults; and able to receive more powerful emotional investment then it's premise would seem . . . as well as give some of that love back.

To me, this episode was an affirmation of why we exist. People connect over childhood memories of things such as DBZ, Pokemon, Power Rangers, and Justice League for a reason. We watched them as children. We're humans, we're social creatures that long to connect with others and nostalgia is a good grease in the (sometime) rusty cogs of social interaction.

But why do we connect now over a show that wasn't a part of our development? Especially one who's premise and execution is unorthodox to most of us? Simple . . . if what we perceive is not the connection, the truth is. 

People are not stupid, as vexing and improbable to concretely define as the concept of truth is, there are times when the wisdom dispensed is so profound that we hear the whispers of truth in it. Friendship is Magic has been such a time. There's action, but one of the core purposes of the show is to teach healthy human interaction and the perfection of self.

This hasn't been a string of episodes loosely connected throughout three seasons, it's been an arc interwoven and strengthened through slice of life. Twilight's ascension and coronation has been long and coming, and I'm proud to say it touched me.

Friendship is Magic isn't over. This episode only proved that it can be more than what ANYONE thought it could.

Thank you for this Studio DHX, thank you Lauren Faust, God bless all of you.

• Brohoof 4

The first time I watched this episode, it felt really short and I thought it could have really used a two-parter. I still think that would've made for an overall better ending. However, after watching it again, and considering the amount of information that had to be crammed into thirty minutes, I think M.A. Larson and the crew did a great job. The songs were nice, and they provided an easy way to get the characters from one place to another quickly without breaking the flow of the scene. The ending was sweet, and, to be honest, I think it would've been a great finale to the entire show if Season Four wasn't already confirmed. The scene with Twilight and Princess Celestia looking back at older clips of the series, with Celestia actually singing, brought on all the feels. I didn't cry, though... I just had... liquid pride. Yeah.

Also... Twilacorn wasn't voiced by Morgan Freeman. Not sure if I should feel relieved or strangely disappointed.

Overall, it was a good (albeit quick) episode. I still think Season Two's finale was better, but it's hard to top A Canterlot Wedding. Here's to having a full, 26-episode-long Season Four appearing in the coming months!

Very well said I couldn't agree more. I to agree that Season's 2 Finale was better as well. I hope that season 4 will be a full season because season 3 felt to rushed to me to many weekends when it didn't have a new episode. I think they rushed it because people wanted to see season 3 to badly. I do hope this show continues for a long time and doesn't go off the air after 4 seasons because there is so much more to have :) so here is to season 4 and beyond 

Anyone else notice that when Twilight was teleported back to Ponyville, the giant cutie mark in the sky very clearly had SIX smaller white stars instead of five? We don't get a clear shot of the cutie mark on her flank after that and before she has her dress on, but it doesn't look there there are six stars there. If this is an "animation error" it would be a big one, because it took up almost the whole screen and must've taken more effort to animate than the average animation error, which are just still images usually, while the stars glowed and moved.

Eh, I think they could've fit a couple more songs in if they had just tried harder.  Should have gone for nine.

I especially like how the first song seems like an outright shout out to Disney opening songs.

My only complaint is that I wanted more of it.  The cutie mark switch was resolved really quickly.  I wanted more exploration of the implications.  We only see them struggling solo.  I think it would have been interesting to see how the changes would have effected their interpersonal interactions.

guys stop considering the "rushing" thing

remember they have only 21 minutes of screentime and the boundaries of 13 episodes for a full season, that's why they decided to make this a 3 parter with a long break after the main change, that way we can get slowly used to it and get a nice continuity in the show in S4

I'm pretty sure we will meet a more polished and well-aware twilicorn in the s4 premiere, just wait :)

Edited by moduz94
  • Brohoof 2

Anyone else notice that when Twilight was teleported back to Ponyville, the giant cutie mark in the sky very clearly had SIX smaller white stars instead of five? We don't get a clear shot of the cutie mark on her flank after that and before she has her dress on, but it doesn't look there there are six stars there. If this is an "animation error" it would be a big one, because it took up almost the whole screen and must've taken more effort to animate than the average animation error, which are just still images usually, while the stars glowed and moved.

I checked it. She has five stars on her cutie mark throughout the episode and then she has six.

If I watch it again, the plot holes and the rushed story will still be there, so I'll still dislike it, unless I do the most spectacular mental gymnastics possible in order to justify every fault in the plot. Which I won't, because I would no longer respect myself. I also have no desire to subject my eyes, ears and brain to that bile ever again.

If you watch it again you have the potential to see things you didn't before. MLP is a very show don't tell show, even when they do have expository dialog many things are left to be shown visually. Many things I see people calling episode breaking plot holes in episodes are explained in the episode visually or through continuity. Watching a second time gives a fresh perspective. I hated One Bad Apple when I first watched it, but on a second viewing I actually liked it.   

guys stop considering the "rushing" thing

remember they have only 21 minutes of screentime and the boundaries of 13 episodes for a full season, that's why they decided to make this a 3 parter with a long break after the main change, that way we can get slowly used to it and get a nice continuity in the show in S4

I'm pretty sure we will meet a more polished and well-aware twilicorn in the s4 premiere, just wait :)

I understand the idea that they did the best they could with what they got. But the conditions generated a problem. Considering it all, I think they did an astounding job. But the thing is: if you have 20 minutes to tell a story and your story doesn't fit 20 minutes, tell a different story.

Aside from that, they knew in advance how much time they had.

• Brohoof 1

If you watch it again you have the potential to see things you didn't before. MLP is a very show don't tell show, even when they do have expository dialog many things are left to be shown visually. Many things I see people calling episode breaking plot holes in episodes are explained in the episode visually or through continuity. Watching a second time gives a fresh perspective. I hated One Bad Apple when I first watched it, but on a second viewing I actually liked it.   

I'm very secure in the fact that I did not like it, I payed full attention the entire episode, and found it to be full of more plot holes than a slice of swiss cheese. That will not change after watching it a second time, the only way I could like it is if I forced myself to like it, but I've learned to trust my true feelings and not force myself to believe I feel a certain way that I really don't. I have accepted the reality that the finale was terrible, and as much as I wish that was not the case, it's just the way it is. Lying to myself by telling myself I like it won't change that, nothing will. It happened, it sucked, and I'm just gonna deal with it.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar
  • Brohoof 3

Trust me, I tried giving a second chance already, and I only hated it more afterward. The plot was a trainwreck, the dialogue was sacrificed so this could be a musical, and too much was jammed into one episode. I can watch this thing a thousand times, and it will still be a pile of shit.

• Brohoof 3

I have to say, tho, the amount of people going from hating the episode to loving it merely by watching it a second time is........suspicious. It's just that I seriously doubt that one could hate something for perfectly valid reasons, then magically like it even tho the issues were not resolved. I feel as though those saying they suddenly like it after watching it a second time even tho they hated it at first are, in reality, forcing themselves to like it, I believe due to the fact that they do not want to accept the terribly reality that it disappointed them, and so make themselves think they like it. I am not saying anyone here really is, and I do not mean any offense whatsoever, that's just my honest suspicions, if anyone really is, than all I'm gonna say is, don't, just don't. You don't have to like it, trust your feelings, don't try to make yourself feel a way you really don't.

It's not that I don't believe anyone could like this episode (I do find it extremely hard to believe, tho), nor do I have any problem with those who do , but I seriously doubt that one could go from hating something for valid reasons, to liking it even tho the problems they had with it were not resolved, unless some serious mental gymnastics were used to justify the problems they had with it.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar
  • Brohoof 2

has mlp fim ended? i hope it hasnt.

Not at all.  From what I understand based on what I've read from various people that work on FiM, it sounds like I could say this about the series so far.  If FiM were to be compared to a two-act show, the time between now and Season 4 could be considered to be the Intermission before Act II.

I have to say, tho, the amount of people going from hating the episode to loving it merely by watching it a second time is........suspicious. It's just that I seriously doubt that one could hate something for perfectly valid reasons, then magically like it even tho the issues were not resolved. I feel as though those saying they suddenly like it after watching it a second time even tho they hated it at first are, in reality, forcing themselves to like it, I believe due to the fact that they do not want to accept the terribly reality that it disappointed them, and so make themselves think they like it. I am not saying anyone here really is, and I do not mean any offense whatsoever, that's just my honest suspicions, if anyone really is, than all I'm gonna say is, don't, just don't. You don't have to like it, trust your feelings, don't try to make yourself feel a way you really don't.

It's not that I don't believe anyone could like this episode (I do find it extremely hard to believe, tho), nor do I have any problem with those who do , but I seriously doubt that one could go from hating something for valid reasons, to liking it even tho the problems they had with it were not resolved, unless some serious mental gymnastics were used to justify the problems they had with it.

Talking to other people helps. No one watches the episodes wanting to hate them.

Also, these people can find things in the episode that they like enough to overwhelm the stuff they didn't like.

For me, for example, the main problems are pacing, the constant use of "destiny" and some aspects of Twilight becoming a princess.

But as far as the episode goes, I liked the songs, the idea of the magic of friendship "healing" the ponies. The whole scene with Celestia.

And mental gymnastics too...

I checked it. She has five stars on her cutie mark throughout the episode and then she has six.

Where in the episode is this? Can I get an example of when you see it or a screenshot? I've looked at screenshots of right when she becomes an alicorn and I finally see a clear shot of just five white stars in one screenshot.

When Twilight realizes how to solve the cutie mark mix-up problem, the cutie mark on her eyes also shows six white stars. So I'm pretty sure this was intentional.

I actually really like the episode. I mean, it was obvious that Twilight was destined for great things. Remember the flashback in Cutie Mark Chronicles? Celestia's NEVER seen raw talent like Twilight's. She took this little pony that didn't even have a cutie mark and made Twilight her PERSONAL PROTOGE. That's kinda rare.

And...yes, 'twas a little rushed, I agree. I wanted it to be an hour-long special. But....the writers'll figure it out. They made the episode so great in the first place.

Not to mention that someone on the writing staff tweeted that this is pretty much a three-parter(but we'll have to wait for parts 2&3) so...who knows. Maybe Twilicorn won't survive. Maybe it will. Don't get your hooves in a twist in the meantime.

• Brohoof 1

Where in the episode is this? Can I get an example of when you see it or a screenshot? I've looked at screenshots of right when she becomes an alicorn and I finally see a clear shot of just five white stars in one screenshot.

When Twilight realizes how to solve the cutie mark mix-up problem, the cutie mark on her eyes also shows six white stars. So I'm pretty sure this was intentional.

Nope. Dammit. I thought I saw it right before Rainbow Dash hugs Twilight, but it was just the white star under the pink one.

Well, sorry. But when you see the banners carried by the ponies following her during the coronation her cutie mark is shown with six white stars. Most likely, not having the sixth on her body is an animation error.

Actually, yes, it was said before and said in this episode, "You'll be the first Alicorn since Princess Luna was born." You are BORN an alicorn. That whole "Twlight Sparkle invented a new form of magic." thing was because it had -never- been done before. This is akin to someone finding a way to give themselves the DNA of the royal family of England then everyone just accepting the fact they should be the next Queen of England. 

It's amazingly stupid. 

Well technically, Twilight was a princess even before she became an Alicorn.  Because her brother Shining Armor Married Princess Cadence and that therefore made her a princess.  and one thing that I also noticed... you've been raging for like 2 days on this thread at everyone who actualy enjoyed the episode... so much for love and tolerance.

• Brohoof 1

I'm very secure in the fact that I did not like it, I payed full attention the entire episode, and found it to be full of more plot holes than a slice of swiss cheese. That will not change after watching it a second time, the only way I could like it is if I forced myself to like it, but I've learned to trust my true feelings and not force myself to believe I feel a certain way that I really don't. I have accepted the reality that the finale was terrible, and as much as I wish that was not the case, it's just the way it is. Lying to myself by telling myself I like it won't change that, nothing will. It happened, it sucked, and I'm just gonna deal with it.

I thought the same thing about One Bad Apple until my second viewing. In an episode like this I find it imperative for at least a second viewing.Your saying there a ton of plot holes. What are they? I think many of them will be explained in the episode through visual presentation.

Its not about lying to yourself or forcing yourself to like something but examination. In critical examination, repeated viewings are pretty much required

Many things Im seeing presented as plot holes I think are in deed explained visually or subtly in the episode. Here are a few.

-Cutie mark switching and why the characters don't take on the traits of the other ponies. (ei)Why rarity doesn't have a yearning for speed

-The purpose of Starswirl's spell and why twilight went into the other realm, also why she was calm whilst being teleported. 

-Celestia's addressing that twilight did something that no ones else had done.

-Twilights transformation

heck somethings are really just a matter of personal preference, but are being presented as massive problems, laziness, and plot holes. The one thing I have seen in this regard is the idea that the episode being a musical is inherently bad and lazy. 

This isn't to say I think the episode is perfect. I think its biggest technical is the pacing. This really needed to be a two parter. This is the reason I think people are missing so much and interpreting things massively differently. There is too much crammed in here and major plot elements are explained by visual cues through the song and emotions conveyed as such. People who are more... shall we say Twilight(the pony) minded may not get things presented that way. I am kinda bothered by the fact that Celestia didn't give Twilight a choice, but this also is I think partially explained. That's I think the big thing, things are explained, but not enough time is given to elaborate. Just enough is there for you to go oh I think I get it...mostly but I still have questions could you explain more, nope. I find this a bit bothersome for the episode alone, however it should be note that this is an on-going series, with at least 26 episodes left. Many of the lingering questions may be touched on. 

• Brohoof 2