Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Cartoons you watched that jumped the shark

shocker1991

Are there any cartoons you used to watch that jumped the shark at any point?

I have a few to name....

• Spongebob - After the movie
  • Rugrats - When Kimi joined
  • Flintstones - When The Great Gazoo joined
  • Smurfs - When the smurflings were created
  • Fairly odd parents - When Poof was born
  • Scooby Doo - When Scappy joined
  • Simpsons and Futurama - When pop culture references became the main focus of episodes
  • Dexter's Lab - When Genndy Tartakovsky left
  • Brohoof 6

Fairly Oddparents: When Poof joined the show

Spongebob: When the new episodes debuted.

Scooby Doo: When they made more Scooby Doo shows, and live action ones.

Looney Tunes: When the Looney Tunes Show was made.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much everything you listed is correct. 

Family used to be good from 1999 to 2001, but after that, everything went downhill. 

Pretty much every cartoon on CN jumped the shark after 2008, because they removed them for new shows, and well... that sucked.

I just wish they'd bring Ed Edd n' Eddy back. That show was the bomb.

Edited by Vallo
  • Brohoof 4

- The Fairly Oddparents became pretty terrible once it was revived.

- SpongeBob Squarepants was good for the first three or four seasons, but after the movie the quality took an ENORMOUS drop. It went from hilarious to awful.

- Rugrats was only truly good in the earlier season. It took a dive once Dill was born, but it got even worse after Kimi joined the show.

- Both Dexter's Lab and The Powerpuff Girls started out strong, but in later seasons they lost their charm completely.

- I never watched The Simpsons, but it's so irrelevant now, and I think it's common knowledge now that it isn't the same as it used to be.

Sorry, I mostly just reiterated what others said, but I can't think of too many other examples at the moment.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

Powerpuff girls - When the Rowdyruff boys were revived. They were better as one-off villains. After their revival, they became more of a nuisance than a threat.

SpongeBob - After the movie. Some episodes after that are decent but most are poor.

Tom and Jerry - When they toned down the violence :( 

Ed, Edd n Eddy - When they started going to school but I loved the tv movie.

I loved pretty much the ones you Guys listed except I used to watch this show.....my grandma had it on VCR...It was from the late seventies but my Gma let me watch it. It was about pirates and dolls and stuff. It was sort of creepy but nobody seemed to notice. I had this nightmare once were all the characters (puppets) were just...screaming.....at the top of their lungs........it was horrible.

• Brohoof 2

Simpsons: when Scully replaced Mirkin as the showrunner and Groening ran off to do Futurama.

Futurama: when the genuine emotion of the early episodes was dumped in favor of more slapstick and pop culture weirdness.

Pokemon: when Brock and Misty left. Whenever that was.

Digimon: when the kids themselves started turning into Digimon. (Season 4.) But the show was entertaining even then!

Power Rangers: when Kimberly left.

Good Kids Shows of the 90s: Power Rangers.  ^_^  Now that I think about it. This show got Sonic SatAm canceled and diverted attention from other great cartoons of its time to lame, low-budget live-action cheese (PR itself, VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, Mystic Knights, etc). Damn you Power Rangers!

Kids WB: When they canceled Animaniacs.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

• 2 weeks later...

The Simpsons- It's now totally reliant on pop culture references and guest stars.

I didn't have a problem with the guest appearances in earlier seasons, because it didn't happen every freaking episode, and there was actually a purpose to them being there, and it was usually funny.

Now it's just... A mess. It's like they're keeping it alive (barely) just because it's one of the longest running animated sitcoms on television, if not the longest. The characters have changed just enough to the point where they could be entirely different characters, and the plots nowadays mainly rely on celebs and Homer being an absolute prat. Lady Gaga? Justin Bieber? Come on... 

• Brohoof 1

Duck Tales was good for most of its run, even after they introduced Bubba and Fenton/Gizmoduck (I like all three characters, so that didn't bother me as much as other people) but then the episodes got really lame and characterization went out the window. "Attack Of The Metal Mites" is a good example.

• South Park, I have never been one to be a BIG fan of Cartman and up until the most recent season (16) it's all about him...there are other great characters that need to be shown and have an episode about them. They totally disregarded Stan x Wendy and Mint Berry Crunch's return....I could go on and on..I used to be obsessed with SP but I did NOT like season 16 with exception for 1 or 2 episodes....
  • Spongebob Squarepants, need I say more?
  • Phineas and Ferb, it's lost it's charm for me....I still LOVE perry the platypus though.
  • Ben 10, it's getting too crazy and too involved for me. I LOVE the original Ben 10 but not the new ones...

That's all I can think of for now.

• Brohoof 1

New episodes of Phineas and Ferb don't seem quite as good as the older ones, but then again I just saw a relatively new one the other day and it was fantastic, so maybe the trend is reversing :).

Similar thing with Xiaolin Showdown when I was younger. The last season or so was really hit and miss, but it stepped up its game a lot and wrapped up the series in a really satisfying way.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

Spongebob was probably the first show that I ever noticed really, really jump the shark hard!  Of course, as most of you know, it came after the movie, but still, it's just gotten sadder and sadder and sadder.  I can't believe the show's actually still showing new episodes!!! It needs to die and die soon, simply so that it can retain the little dignity it has left; what once was one of the most clever and satirical childrens' comedies ever has devolved into nothing more than a stupid, sugar-high, madhouse drivel that has no lasting value whatsoever.

I guess another that I saw come to jump the shark would've been Rugrats; it's quality really started declining more and more after the second movie, "Rugrats in Paris", but I think it only jumped the shark when "All Grown Up" started.  I mean, I never understood the appeal or purpose of that show at all!  The whole idea behind Rugrats was that, hey, they're babies, and we're seeing the world as they see it; you lose all of that when you turn it into a dime-a-dozen pre-teen/teen coming of age show.  It probably didn't help that Nickelodeon was coming out with A LOT of those coming of age shows at the time, so "All Grown Up" looked even more generic than it was.  So yeah, never really liked that show that much, and I'd say Rugrats quality in general took a steep nosedive once that show came out.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Duck Tales was good for most of its run, even after they introduced Bubba and Fenton/Gizmoduck (I like all three characters, so that didn't bother me as much as other people) but then the episodes got really lame and characterization went out the window. "Attack Of The Metal Mites" is a good example.

It wasn't quite jumping the shark, but one "Bubba" episode bothered me profoundly. Gyro's "Thinking Cap" made him a super-genius. He became well educated and spoke in a snooty aloof manner. In the end he realized he had driven away his friends and put them all into peril. He shut off the thinking cap and it exploded, returning him to his old self. In my mind that is far worse than committing suicide. He, of his own free will, killed his rational mind. It really upset me the first time I saw it.   

I loved pretty much the ones you Guys listed except I used to watch this show.....my grandma had it on VCR...It was from the late seventies but my Gma let me watch it. It was about pirates and dolls and stuff. It was sort of creepy but nobody seemed to notice. I had this nightmare once were all the characters (puppets) were just...screaming.....at the top of their lungs........it was horrible.

I think it was called Candle Cove. My parents had a bunch of old tapes they let me watch when I was really little. I remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl or something.

• Brohoof 1

since I am a huge anime  geek 

naruto- when sauske left the show 

dragonball gt - when it aired 

bleach- when they left the soul society 

yugioh- the noah arc was to long  

dexters lab- when it went into hd 

danny phantom- he was getting to op with the ghost whale scream attack 

• Brohoof 1

I don't understand why everybody hates DBGT so much. I mean, the first 16 episodes I'll admit were kind of stupid but then after the writers realized that straying from the dramatic tone that DBZ basically formed didn't go well over with established fans, the rest of the series was really satisfying. I enjoyed SSJ4 Gogeta and the fight with Omega Shenron, one of the best action arcs ever conceived in anime.

Anyways, pretty much agree with shows like Spongebob, Dexter's Lab, etc. I never understood why Ed Edd n Eddy decided to go into the characters going to school later in the series. It just seemed so out of place for them to be in an education environment.

It wasn't quite jumping the shark, but one "Bubba" episode bothered me profoundly. Gyro's "Thinking Cap" made him a super-genius. He became well educated and spoke in a snooty aloof manner. In the end he realized he had driven away his friends and put them all into peril. He shut off the thinking cap and it exploded, returning him to his old self. In my mind that is far worse than committing suicide. He, of his own free will, killed his rational mind. It really upset me the first time I saw it.   

I see what you mean. But he did it for a good reason, to start caring about his family and not just material things. Consider this: by caveduck standards, Bubba is probably a genius.

In a funny way, it's like Twilight's situation. She became something that was a level above her friends and family. Whether she will be in a situation where she may have to "turn off her thinking cap" and revert back to being a regular pony is something only the upcoming season will answer.

I see what you mean. But he did it for a good reason, to start caring about his family and not just material things. Consider this: by caveduck standards, Bubba is probably a genius.

In a funny way, it's like Twilight's situation. She became something that was a level above her friends and family. Whether she will be in a situation where she may have to "turn off her thinking cap" and revert back to being a regular pony is something only the upcoming season will answer.

It is in a way, but not anything as sever. If Twilight had to lose her wings, her inner self would still be the same. Bubba had in effect become a different person duck. That new duck killed himself, so the old duck could come back and save everyone. I was only about ten when I originally saw the episode. It just hit me really hard for some reason. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but even then I was reading science fiction books considered too adult for me. I think I read far too much into the scene than was actually intended.

I'm back with an edit. I had never realized until today that "Bubba's Big Brainstorm" is actually somewhat of an adaptation of the "Outer Limits" episode "The Sixth Finger" I have no way of remembering, but maybe I saw the Outer Limits episode first, and it colored my thinking about the Duck-tales episode!

On a much lighter note, I loved Gizmo-duck!  Blathering Blatherskite! I loved that he made a couple of guest appearances on Darkwing Duck!

PS. Darkwing Duck NEVER jumped the shark!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

South Park for sure has, I used to be a hardcore fan of the show but the new seasons seem extremely off and the show just isn't what it used too be. The older episodes are by far the better ones.

Spongebob...everyone else on here has explained that.

Dance Moms, the show never was good I know that but the new season has been horrible.

And as much hate as I'm going to get on here, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. The new season wasn't as good as 1 or 2 and I feel as if they are trying a bit too hard to appeal to the bronies.

Hm, well I guess spongebob's a big one for me, I use to watch that all the time as a kid, but all the newer episodes are like ok to bad now. After the movie I suppose.

I didn't really watch many of the others as they kinda declined in quality, I just kinda came back and I didn't have an interest for them. I just stopped watching TV as much for a while I guess idk.

The bill cosby Show- when cousin pam and that annoying brat Olivia appearead outta nowhere just cuz Rudy wasn't cute anymore

Stargate sg-1 all the seasons without Richard deaan anders and/or Teal'c, the later ones with the old team were back to brilliance

Star Treak- when Deep space nine aired, that series was utterly boring, though I enjoyed Voyager

X files, when it revolved solely around conspiracy and politics

Fringe- when the finaly season started

Danny Phantom- when Dani was introduced

Spongebob- when Patrick's german voice actor got changed (plz, do not ever listen to the new one, he sounds way too intelligent for the chracter)

Yu gi oh- when anything beyond the orignal storyline aired (GX and whatnots)

Dragin Ball- when any foe could be defeated some way and dead ones could be revoved as often as was necessary and the one wish only rule was lifted off Shenlong

Bleach- whenever there was/is a filler arc and Ichigo became something like and deus ex Machina that can beat anything and anyone by acquiring an infinite reservoir of new powers

Madoka- When all those spinoffs appeared

Basically spinoffs are often a bad idea.

BTW concernig the oddparents. I actually like poof, he's cute,

Poof Poof XD

*Glances around suspiciously* To be honest, I didn't really like the 4th season of Kim Possible. I didn't like the idea of Ron and Kim as a couple on the show, if they were going to get together, it had to be the series finale, not just a season finale.

Good lord, I can name several anime/manga series that started great but fell downhill, especially manga.
 But this thread is directed twords cartoons, so I'll stick to that, but theres not many I can think of that I love that "jumped the shark".

...actually, theres one. Garfield.

I adored Garfield and Friends, the specials and comics as a kid, and looking back, I still enjoy them today. But lately the comic has been on autopilot for the last decade, repeating gags I could easily find the original strips for in my old comic strip collections. There was the live-action films, the first of which I actually saw in a theater (not a single soul laughed during the whole film), and the second. While I was fine with Bill Murray for Garfield (as his original VA had died), I hate what they did to the rest of the supporting cast....oh, and supposedly they can understand what Garfield says now. (WTF?!)

Then the CGI films and The Garfield Show. I only saw the first film "Garfield gets Real", and a handful of episodes of the new TV series. They weren't funny, the CGI really bothered me (it was cheaply done, characters kept swaying around as they talked making it very distracting and the movement of the animation was bad) the worst part, they changed the personalities of the cast.

I'll admit, I was expecting some alterations, as aspects of the 80's cartoon would not fly on todays TV, but was it necessary to completely change Nermal? The voice change was understandable, as his original voice caused alot of gender confusion, but now he sounds nothing like "the world's cutest kitty cat", and is actually, kinda evil. That might be from Garfield tormenting him for so long over the years, and suddenly decided to stop playing the innocent kitten game, but still, Nermal is now "Nermal in name/looks only". Even Garfield himself is....nicer. The only positive thing I can say is I like how Arlene has now finally actually appeared in the films/TV.

I could go on, as if you can't tell I was very fond of Garfield as a kid.

New episodes of Phineas and Ferb don't seem quite as good as the older ones, but then again I just saw a relatively new one the other day and it was fantastic, so maybe the trend is reversing :).

I feel the same way actually, but I'm still worried they won't be able to keep up for much longer. The rumors of a live-action film don't help either.

• Brohoof 1