Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Getting your friends to watch the show?

Chales

Ok so I know there are tons of stories about how each of us got into MLP, many of them through friends who were bronies. But are there any friends that have gotten interested in the show because of you? Have you introduced the show to anyone else and what was it like?

For me I've gotten three people into watching the show: my ex, one of my friends and the woodshop technician at my college.

With my ex, she knew I watched the show before we dated. When we started dating, we would talk about our interests which would include me talking about ponies. Eventually she got interested and started to watch it.

My other friend is very similar (minus the dating). We talked about shows we watched and I brought up MLP. She started watching it just to see what it was about. Now she loves ponies.

The woodshop technician was a little more of an interesting story. I don't really make it a secret I watch the show so he knew I watched it. I was drawing pony versions of my friends and he came over and asked if I could do one of him. Eventually some film students came to him asking if he knew any artist bronies that could do an interview. He asked me to come into the office and told me about the interview. From there I proceeded to show him the song "This Day Aria" as he was getting a little interested in what me and the film students were talking about. Finally, today he told me he has started watching the first season :)

So, what stories do you guys have?

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

(edited)

I've had three: my best friend, a runner friend, and my girlfriend.

For the longest time, my best pal (hi @NeonDinosGoMeow) absolutely detested the show. He knew that I have crap internet, so when I asked him to download an episode or five for me he volunteered to throw them on a flashdrive for me. And, apparently he watched an episode and slowly became a fan.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it happened.

My runner friend is kind of the same. On our long runs, when I would bring up ponies, he would reply "I just don't get it with that show. I've seen it around the internet but it seems dumb." I implored him to try an episode, reminding him that the first couple of episodes are pretty dry. One Friday a couple of months ago he came up to me and said, "Okay, I'm going to try watching it this weekend." I wished him the best of luck, because I'm an awesome friend like that. At school the next Monday, he came up to me and said "Screw you. I've watched half of season one already." And now he's here! Hi @The Pulse.

Again, I THINK this is how this went down. I have a bad memory when it comes to people.

My girlfriend just likes it because I like it.  :wub:

Edited by Kolth
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't managed to get anyone to watch the show and stay with it.

One of my friends watched the season 1 opener and gave up after that.

He didn't hate it mind you but he just wasnt feeling the entire premise and jumping into the fandom.

I got one of my friends into ponies. We share a same taste for crude humor and then at somepoint in time I showed her the .MOV series and she told me she liked it. Then after that, at school she told me "I hate you for getting me into ponies". Heheheh, of course she said that jokingly and now we're even better friends!

I got one of my best friends to watch it one night when we were bored on netflix. He seemed a little apprehensive (i put on the very very first episode of the series) because it was pretty girly, but half way through it he started asking a lot of questions and started sounding interested, especially when the first episode ends and its like a cliff-hanger when Nightmare Moon comebacks. He was like, "Dude, play the next episode i need to see what happens." and from then on he became a brony.

I also converted another one of my really good friends because my friend (from the story above) and i were watching it and he became hooked on the show almost immediately. My friend's neighbor (still the first one) thought him and i were weird for watching the show, but he gave it a try on his own time and became a huge brony. Those are pretty much the only people i've turned into bronies. I've gotten a few others to watch the show but they didn't become bronies, but they did like the show.

• Brohoof 1

Actually yes indeedy ^_^

A friend of mine Caleb watched an episode because of me.

All of a sudden he is Brony now :3

I don't force the show on anyone, I just suggest they watch an episode before judging me.

Usually works :3

And in this case it worked really well ^_^

So far I've gotten a few friends from another forum to watch the show. Most of them backed out and didn't like how it went, but at the same time I didn't want to push them. One twitter friend of mine surrendered and asked me to link the first episode, and realized that it made her very happy and forgot about her tough situations she was going through (basically the same thing that happened to me before I became a brony myself). In the end, after four episodes, she became a brony, and she's very well underway to finishing up season 3. 

I might try to, but my best friend isn't really into My Little Pony. So, I guess I will try showing him some episodes when he feels comfortable.

I play online games (PC) with a large community that I helped start. I started with subtle references to the show, then proceeeded to link videos, then just generally talking about it in the open. None of them were even remotely interested.

Tried and failed. Still a story. :(

The closest I've every gotten someone to watch an episode was showing a friend a few vids from the .mov series. I also told him how the actual show has really good sound/music to it, and I showed him a small part of Hurricane Fluttershy and another scene from It's About Time. From the .mov series alone he told me that we should watch an episode, but it was quite late at night and we didn't have time for that. He's not an internet person anyways so I honestly don't think he would keep up with the show for very long. Now that he's going to be moving away next year, I thought I should have let him watched an episode after all, regardless whether he would continue to watch the show by himself or not.

Well my friend found out by my background and then I told him to watch an episode and he said "no thanks" and then I emailed him saying that if he ever changed his mind its always on netflix and then he tried it and then: hi mehguy22

He just finished season 2 now.

I got my little brother into it, though it seems like he's lost interest somewhat. I also got one guy in one of my classes converted through a presentation I had last year at school, but that's about as many as I've affected (unless I created some closet bronies in that class (highly doubt it though)).

I managed to get a few dudes on a car forum to join the herd. I got Rutledge Wood from Top Gear USA to brohoof me as well. A friend of mine will drop a 20% cooler or "everypony" in here and there.

Bah ha ha! I pretty much just force 'one' into the show, or I get all rabid when 'one' asks why I'm drawing ponies all the time in class.

I first got my little brother into the show right when I he caught me watching my second episode. He questioned why I liked it, because I wasn't really... known for liking ponies anymore. I did when I was younger, but I had to move on... so, with that, we both reluctantly agreed finally that we're in LOVE with this show.

Then I showed some of my friends that came over a lot, and seemed to all pick Applejack as 'BEST PONY'. So, with me around, they knew it was 'Pony-Time' sometime... ha ha... (I sound so psychotic...)

But the only friends who noticeably loved the show, even with me not around was my two very close friends Anicka & Shelby... although not Applejack lovers, they felt just as devestated as I did when Season 3 ended so quickly.

Wow... is this whole thing a tagent, or what?

Well, being that I only have one friend, I guess I'll just talk about her case. Basically, she's just kinda stubborn, and I think that even if I attempted to show it to her, I think she's already made up her mind that she's not gonna like it. So even if I show her and she did like it, I think she'd just immediately dismiss it and claim that she didn't. Or since her mind is so determined not to like it, it would make it impossible for her to enjoy, and ultimately, she wouldn't like it. Self-fulfilling prophecy. So I don't even really wanna try.

Edited by Clover Heart