Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

1 minute ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well, I've had my fair share of those.

No. Is it good?

I went from an AMD FX 4170 4-core 4-thread 125W TDP CPU that initially cost me ~$130 to an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-core 16-thread 65W TDP CPU that cost me ~$300. Quadruple the number of threads and double the number of cores for less than half the heat output. Plus, it runs far better.

Also, my computer has pulled a Ship of Theseus on me; none of the parts I put into my first computer (AMD FX 4170 + GTX 560 Ti) have made it to my current computer. Except maybe the DVD drive.

1 minute ago, ShadowDash13 said:

They're blocking my view of Pluto.

I'd like to help you move a bunch of planets, but I'm too busy making my home in a mountain in Minecraft right now. (No, it's modded Minecraft.)

2 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

They're blocking my view of Pluto.

Well, a better explanation would be that they're blocking your view of the solar eclipse, but okay.

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I went from an AMD FX 4170 4-core 4-thread 125W TDP CPU that initially cost me ~$130 to an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-core 16-thread 65W TDP CPU that cost me ~$300. Quadruple the number of threads and double the number of cores for less than half the heat output. Plus, it runs far better.

Also, my computer has pulled a Ship of Theseus on me; none of the parts I put into my first computer (AMD FX 4170 + GTX 560 Ti) have made it to my current computer. Except maybe the DVD drive.

Well, that sure sounds good, was it worth it though?

That's pretty interesting, so you basically just built a new computer.

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well, a better explanation would be that they're blocking your view of the solar eclipse, but okay.

Well, that sure sounds good, was it worth it though?

That's pretty interesting, so you basically just built a new computer.

Technically, yes, but also kinda no. Besides swapping out the SSD and hard drive (because they failed) and buying a second optical drive, my first computer's GPU was also switched out for an R9 390. At that time, I didn't fully understand CPU bottlenecks, so apart from being able to use three monitors, I was basically choking my old computer. Technically, I consider it an upgrade, but given I also swapped out the case and motherboard and RAM (because AM4 is a whole new socket type), it may as well be a new computer.

Also, I'm nowhere near Oregon, so I can't see the eclipse in its totality.

3 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Actually, I live within a two hour drive of the optimal view, so I'll definitely be watching it.

Just now, ShadowDash13 said:

Actually, I live within a two hour drive of the optimal view, so I'll definitely be watching it.

I hate you. I would have to drive northwards for hours on end to see totality.

18 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

I live all the way up in New York, so I'm either seeing a partial eclipse or we're flying south, and I don't want to see a partial eclipse.

16 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I hate you. I would have to drive northwards for hours on end to see totality.

Sounds like a pain. I hope you do get a chance to see it though.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

I'll take pictures. Or video. Maybe both.

It's not like I'll ever see another one.

I don't see a point in that, I mean, there are going to be tons of videos going online with super high quality, but it will never be the same as actually watching it.

I don't see a point in that, I mean, there are going to be tons of videos going online with super high quality, but it will never be the same as actually watching it.

Memories. So I can show my grand-robots (I'm never having kids...) 70 years from now that I was at something special like that.

19 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

I live all the way up in New York, so I'm either seeing a partial eclipse or we're flying south, and I don't want to see a partial eclipse.

Sounds like a pain. I hope you do get a chance to see it though.

My folks would object to me driving nearly 1000 miles northward. So would my body. I'll try again in 2024, but I would fly to Texas for that. Either that or have an AI do (most of) the driving for me.

3 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

My folks would object to me driving nearly 1000 miles northward. So would my body. I'll try again in 2024, but I would fly to Texas for that. Either that or have an AI do (most of) the driving for me.

Yeah, I'd guess so. The next solar eclipse seems to cross nearby where I live too, so that'll be easier.

Will AI really be good enough by that time?

1 hour ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Why are we moving mountains? Or planets?

For what purpose would moving them accomplish?

They're figurative mountains 

5 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

Who knows? They've already got some pretty good ones. The future could hold anything.

Like the immediate destruction of our planet. But we tend to ignore that one.

I'm not too worried about AI takeover.

Just now, Zyrael said:

They're figurative mountains 

Strange.

Also, I've binge watched 150 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh!, quite the... "good" right..., show that is.
Is there something better to do with my time?

Also, I've binge watched 150 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh!, quite the... "good" right..., show that is.

the original show

Yes, Yami Yugi, Seto Kaiba and the such.

No confusing Pendulum summons here.

other than the sentimental value it has to me it's a pretty bad show. Props for your fortitude though

Just now, Zyrael said:

other than the sentimental value it has to me it's a pretty bad show. Props for your fortitude though

So, I never watched the show in my youth, and I never really knew how to play it disregarding my hundreds of cards I had (have).

But my brother started playing in on an app (it was very simplified, but you got some good cards at the beginning) and I kinda got hooked back into it, I learned how to play it and I'm sorta on a Yu-Gi-Oh! binge phase.

So, I never watched the show in my youth, and I never really knew how to play it disregarding my hundreds of cards I had (have).

But my brother started playing in on an app (it was very simplified, but you got some good cards at the beginning) and I kinda got hooked back into it, I learned how to play it and I'm sorta on a Yu-Gi-Oh! binge phase.

I love the game. I've never stopped playing it. Except I mostly play it virtually now

Just now, Zyrael said:

I love the game. I've never stopped playing it. Except I mostly play it virtually now

Duel Links is pretty bad, only 3 playable card areas and no Main Phase 2. Sort of ruins the strategy of the game. Also, characters from the show have special abilities, which is really dumb.

Duel Generations is good, but it doesn't have the random AI you can fight like in Duel Links. Otherwise it's pretty good.

Duel Links is pretty bad, only 3 playable card areas and no Main Phase 2. Sort of ruins the strategy of the game. Also, characters from the show have special abilities, which is really dumb.

Duel Generations is good, but it doesn't have the random AI you can fight like in Duel Links. Otherwise it's pretty good.

I play ygopro percy

How is it? Is there a campaign, or is it all just random duels?

Or both?

It's pretty straightforward, you can host or join a duel with other players or play against an AI. It has all the cards in the game, and you can play OCG, TCG, traditional, anime, etc. single, match, and tag duels too

Just now, Zyrael said:

It's pretty straightforward, you can host or join a duel with other players or play against an AI. It has all the cards in the game, and you can play OCG, TCG, traditional, anime, etc. single, match, and tag duels too

Are there any problems that I should take into account before trying it?

Are there any problems that I should take into account before trying it?

Not that I can think of. It's free.

here's the options menu you get:

454d77ff0751cdee693adfb3ad239475.png