Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

Sure? What do you mean by rust?

iron oxide - the magnetic coating used on disk platters.

(although I believe the higher density magnetic media are going for a different metallic coating now)

11 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

iron oxide - the magnetic coating used on disk platters.

(although I believe the higher density magnetic media are going for a different metallic coating now)

I wasn't aware that they used that as the coating.

This is weird. I went from never returning to city simulation again to conceptualising my own city sim, and I've already written a class in C++ that can only generate a name for a street.

2 hours ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

I just increased my computers hard drive space by 4 TB

Dare I ask why?

Also, question. My brother told me this question with movies, so here I go: what two games should you never combine together?

4 hours ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

I just increased my computers hard drive space by 4 TB

What are you going to do with all that space?

I think I have like, 2tb on a harddrive and then maybe a total of~750gb on two separate ssd's and I'm not really going to need much more until games finally take those over.

2 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Dare I ask why?

Also, question. My brother told me this question with movies, so here I go: what two games should you never combine together?

Because I was running out if space and I was like fuck it.

I dunno, maybe I went over board.

18 minutes ago, Miss H said:

I think I have like, 2tb on a harddrive and then maybe a total of~750gb on two separate ssd's and I'm not really going to need much more until games finally take those over.

I dunno, I'll figure it out.

The thing is, there was a 1, 3, and 4 TB hard drive, and I felt like 1 wasn't enough and the 4 TB one was only 10 dollars or something more than the 3 TB one, so I thought why not.

2 hours ago, Miss H said:

You guys ask me: is an 8-core 16-thread CPU overkill? Because that's what I have and it only cost me about 300 dollars when just last year, it would've cost me 1000 dollars or more.

How about a 16-core 32-thread CPU? That's what you get when you glue together two of the 8-core modules together into one giant CPU.

The thing is, there was a 1, 3, and 4 TB hard drive, and I felt like 1 wasn't enough and the 4 TB one was only 10 dollars or something more than the 3 TB one, so I thought why not.

I figured 2TB drives were available but apparently they're out of stock for you. Also, figure out the cost per GB on your drive. My 1TB HDD cost me like 50 or 60 dollars, so that's like 17 cents per GB.

5 hours ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

I dunno, I'll figure it out.

OK, that's actually super fair. I'd have done the same thing.

If I were to get a new HDD, what should I get?My current one is 1TB 7200 RPM.

(I don't really know what i exactly need)

Well, typical HDD platter speeds are either 5400 or 7200 RPM, and faster speed translates to (I think) faster read-write speed. Most drives are probably gonna be 7200 anyway, but don't quote me on that.

A 1TB minimum is what I'd recommend, but people have recommended 3TB and 4TB drives when my old drives (both my HDD and SSD; one was either 250 or 500GB, the other was 128GB) began to fail. Personally, I didn't have much to store on my computer, so I only got a 1TB drive. I'm only using about 210GB of space on my storage drive right now, and most of it is video recordings.

17 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Well, typical HDD platter speeds are either 5400 or 7200 RPM, and faster speed translates to (I think) faster read-write speed. Most drives are probably gonna be 7200 anyway, but don't quote me on that.

A 1TB minimum is what I'd recommend, but people have recommended 3TB and 4TB drives when my old drives (both my HDD and SSD; one was either 250 or 500GB, the other was 128GB) began to fail. Personally, I didn't have much to store on my computer, so I only got a 1TB drive. I'm only using about 210GB of space on my storage drive right now, and most of it is video recordings.

I'm probably going to get a 3 TB 7200 RPM HDD. The 4 TB one I got was 5400 RPM.

Are there any brands I should look at specifically?

2 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Personally I got a 1TB SSD then swapped out the optical drive bay for a SATA caddy so I could put a 4TB 5400RPM drive in there - the speed wasn't as great an issue then as it was the secondary drive.

3 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Mine's a Western Digital drive. Any other brand can work, but I'd look at the reviews.

Haven't actually bought the 4TB yet though - got a 1TB 5400 in there (one I removed from the primary drive of another laptop for an SSD upgrade) until I find a reasonably priced 4TB drive in the 2.5" form factor.

Oh, I almost forgot. This:

// Member function: Make a tautological street name
// Examples: Avenue Road, Street Avenue, Street Street, Lane Drive, etc
// This is just an easter egg; there is no other reason to have this function =P
// Maybe have it so that 1 out every 100 random name generations have this funny name
void ObjStreet::makeStreetNameTauto()
{
	streetName = makeStreetTitle() + " " + makeStreetTitle();
}
	// This IF statement determines whether the street gets a normal name
	// or a tautological name; chance of a tautological name is 1 in 100 by default
	if (rand() % 100 + 1 < 100) streetName = n[rand() % n.size()] + " " + makeStreetTitle();
	else makeStreetNameTauto();

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

Oh my it's been forever since I have been in here.. Might as well wave a hoof and say hello, though I see that things aren't all that active in here, I guess it has it's spurts I guess.

How is everyone doing today? I am about to get ready for a big move in the next few weeks, it will be the first time living away from my parents, I hope things go well.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Lil'Cinnamon said:

Oh my it's been forever since I have been in here.. Might as well wave a hoof and say hello, though I see that things aren't all that active in here, I guess it has it's spurts I guess.

How is everyone doing today? I am about to get ready for a big move in the next few weeks, it will be the first time living away from my parents, I hope things go well.

Cinny-Minny, I'm literally in the same boat as you, and I just woke up.