Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do earth ponies get any love?

Sugar Pea

I've just can't help but notice the lack of earth pony OC's out there lately.

I mean, it's always either unicorn or pegasi, and pegasi happen to take the cake out of all.

I guess I can see why. I mean we all want our characters to be extrodinary, right?
But should that mean we should turn our backs on the earth ponies all of a sudden?

Here is my logic...

Unicorns have magic, and Pegasi have wings, right?

Earth ponies have no magic, or wings, therefore can't do anything special but craftmanship, or possibly something to do with baking, and other everyday earth pony stuff.

Obviously, I guess there is alot of background story to tell when it comes down to Unicorns and Pegasi.
That is why I think there is a non generous amount of Earth ponies.

Opinions?

Edited by Bittersweet Suprise
  • Brohoof 9

Earth Ponies are very underrated.  Having lived on the ground and having to walk everywhere, their legs are much stronger than that of Pegasi, and they are therefor better in a few physical aspects of the race.  As in comparison to unicorns, well, they aren't as special.  But I believe that they are still slightly stronger than unicorns on a physical aspect because while unicorn magic can just poof up whatever it wants, Earth ponies have to work for it, and have built up more muscle as a result.

Also, there could be accidents with magic or flying that could prove fatal.  Earth ponies don't need to worry about such accidents happening to themselves.

In conclusion, they aren't the superior race, but they are just as good as Pegasi and Unicorns.  They're all equal, and Earth ponies are very often underrated.

• Brohoof 11

Aww, I like the earth ponies! They're cuties. I once made an earth pony OC and it's one of my favorites! I'm not much of a drawer, but after drawing the earth pony OC and having it turn out OK, I am more lovey towards the race. img-1388934-1-happy.png

Edit: Okay I removed the image... the drawing was pretty sucky sad.png thanks for your guys' brohoofs though

Another reason I like earth ponies is because... well, they're down to earth! They don't have magic or wings to show off, so their charming personalities are even more obvious.

Edited by D1SC0RD
  • Brohoof 7

As a quick aside first, my Brony-speak is still kinda lacking. huh.png I assume OC is short for Original Character, but I've seen it in contexts that imply that OC often means someone's avatar or author-insertion-persona character. Maybe I'm wrong on this but that's what I get from "OC".

Now, having said that, I've drawn a grand total of three ponies, and they're all Earth ponies. This includes my own avatar-pony: Eightbithoof. I can only assume that Bronies out there enjoy the thought of magic or flight. Honestly, I like the ideas myself. However, I see nothing "lesser" in Earth ponies, personally. I have plans to draw more characters and some mini-comics had intended to stick mostly to Earth ponies. Not because I have a special preference for them, but because my first three OC ponies are all Earth.

I really have no idea why there is such an imbalance. In the end, they're all pony enough for me. laugh.png

• Brohoof 4

I really like Earth Ponies, but compared to Pegasi and Unicorns I'm like at a loss for words. Don't get me wrong, I like earth ponies too but compared to Pegasi when they use their legs they are very strong. I guess people don't find Earth Ponies very interesting unless, they added more background to them.

I love Earth Ponies! They are the most underrated species in MLP. My main OC is a brown coated Earth Pony called Cookie Crumbles. Most original name I could ever come up with. So yeah, I believe there should be more Earth Pony OCs.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mind earth ponies in truth

and i got a oc i've been working

on for a while for a earth pony.

Just must i hate to say it,   but

a lot of ppl do like to use Unicorns

and Peggies for their writing but

earth ponies can also have their

own  quire way if you try

to work it out!

There's always been a lack of earth pony OC's in the fandom.

Personally if I'm writing a story based on my OC, I'd have him be an earth pony simply because it provides more challenges. For example, if a pony encounters a dangerous monster in the Everfree Forest, a pegasus can simply fly away and a unicorn could use his/her magic to beat or escape the monster (provided the unicorn can do more than just levitation), however, it would be much more of a challenge for an earth pony since they don't have any special abilities, making the situation that much more exciting.

• Brohoof 2

I like all of the races Earth, pegasi, and unicorn. Each one should deserve some love. Although we all have our own personal likes and differences.

I'm probably get beaten up for this but here it goes.

I think earth ponies are boring. They are most like human and I find Unicorns and Pegasus much more interesting because of the supernatural traits. Us humans cannot fly or do magic, so I want more of them. Don't get me wrong, I still love earth ponies but they are my least favorite of the three.

/)

• Brohoof 1

I love earth ponies before i even realized it. My Favorite mane six are Pinkie Pie and Applejack. Favorite Background pony is Berry Punch and my OC is a earth pony.

For me, Earth ponies are hard workers that make up for not being able to fly and use magic. They also seem to know how to harvest produce for all Unicorn and pegasi. 

I love all races of ponies, but the earth ponies have a special place in my heart.

• Brohoof 1

I LOVE earth ponies, but I've just always been a unicorn person, all my life.  So I'm a little bit biased in that direction I'm afraid!  This is my order of preference: Unicorn, Earth Pony, Pegasus, Alicorn

Might be strange to see Alicorn last, but my poor brain gets overwhelmed with all these appendages!  I prefer the cleaner look of simple unicorns or simple pegasi. Plus I'm a folklore nut and alicorns don't appear too much in ancient lore.  Of course I'm not complaining!  I'll take horses and ponies any way I can get em!

• Brohoof 2

I was about to make a topic of this...

Earth ponies are definitely the best race ever. They can't be pretentious because their habilities are more about everyday stuff. This might seem like a bad thing, until you realize how other ponies depend on their magical and flying habilities. Watch "Double Rainboom!" and witness how Rainbow Dash has this problem.

Earth ponies, however, find other solutions to their issues. Pinkie Pie has a pretty special ability: laughing at the face of danger and always looking at the bright side (and "dat 4th wall breaking" thing... And she's not a magical pony). Even though Fluttershy has wings, she barely uses them and is practically another earth pony. Apple Jack is the prime example of hard work and dedication over magic and flying.

Earth ponies are underrated, but their "magic" is really important to Equestria. Without it, there would be no balance whatsoever.

And to show my love for Earth ponies, here's my OC (: Ponyda, an earth pony.

post-14551-0-21871000-1366936220_thumb.jpg

Edit: I meant underrated :3
Edited by cd_solidsnake

I quite like earth ponies, Applejack is one of my favorite characters on the show in fact! I have drawn 2 earth pony OCs as well. There's no avoiding them being underrated since they have no special abilities aside from their strength and making food(well, aside from Pinkie Pie who is OP lol), but I still like them about as much as pegasi personally. :)

I'd always been under the impression that earth ponies are supposed to be generally more robust in terms of physical strength, given that A. they have to walk everywhere (whereas pegasi can fly and unicorns can teleport), and B. Winter Wrap-up shows us that hard labor is kind of the earth pony way, so...yeah, I've always pegged them as being generally less delicate than their winged and horned counterparts, as well as possessing a wide variety of skills as opposed to specialization.

If the pony D&D campaign hereabouts can get off the ground, I'm probably either going to roll up a pegasus thief character or an earth pony warrior.

Actually, I feel that Earth ponies DO have magic of their own. However, you are right that they do not have horns for magic, nor wings to let them fly. They are grounded and magic-less... or at least, that's how it seems outwardly. You remember the Hearth's Warming Eve, episode, right? The Earth ponies were needed to grow the food. I mean, if Unicorns and Pegasi could do it, why not just cut out the inferior race? Because they AREN'T inferior. I say that nopony can grow better than an Earth pony. Like, that's just how Earth ponies work, their natural talent is with nature, just as the Pegasi's natural talent is with weather. If you compare any Earth pony farmer to another pony that is a non-Earth pony farmer, the Earth pony will always have a better and healthier and larger crop. I actually think that no pony except Earth ponies can properly buck a fruit tree, like Applejack does. Like, if you aren't an Earth pony, you will never be able to perfect kick a tree and have every piece of fruit fall into the buckets below. It will just never happen. That's Earth pony magic, right there. Also, Earth ponies have strength! You saw how easily the Earth ponies were removing the snow in Winter Wrap Up. And then Twilight tried, a UNICORN, and she couldn't budge the thing without magic. There, Earth pony magic again. They have magic, it's just INNER magic, so it's harder to tell. But if they couldn't pull their weight and provide for pony society, you bet they would be scene as an inferior race in Equestria. But they're not. They're just as good of ponies as Unicorns and Pegasi. Ponies don't have prejudice against the other types, not anymore.

• Brohoof 3

Simply because Pegasi can fly is because they're overrated ( because flying is overrated) Then you have unicorns who are sometimes OP.

Then you have the good old fashion earth ponies whom I love the most. Even my Earth Pony Oc Peachy Pie is my most favorite OC to use in RP's

Simply because Pegasi can fly is because they're overrated ( because flying is overrated) Then you have unicorns who are sometimes OP.

I think Unicorns are OP as OC's. It's the people that create them that make them so. In the show, they're not super powerful or amazing, they can just manipulate things. Like Rarity, she finds gems and sews dresses and picks up objects occasionally. She's not some super amazing magic user, she's just an everyday pony. Now, I know Twilight has a lot of magic, but magic is her talent. She's like, very unique in her skill. Plus, she didn't have any hobbies or friends, all she did was study. Most other unicorns had friends and other things they did besides practice magic. The thing with Twilight is that magic was a LIFE study. She didn't just use what magic she had naturally, she went above and beyond what most unicorns do.

Um... Of course! Earth ponies should get the same amount of love as anypony~! R-right?

I..I mean.. well... pegasus ponies, uniponies and earthponies all have some kind of talent that makes them special and they earn their cutie marks in those ways... so .. um... wouldn't that mean that earthponies are loved just like the others?

Well of course they do, why else would I love Octavia so much? Octavia is my favorite earth pony /)^3^(\ 

I may not like Pinkie Pie very much, but I know a lot of people who like her a lot.

Well, my favorite pony is Pinkie Pie.  So of course I have love for Earth ponies.  But if I am creating a character to represent myself, I want magic.  But just because I would want to be a unicorn doesn't mean that I lack love for Earth ponies. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Well does it their lack of wings and horns make them special in their own right? I think so any ways. Earth pony Oc's are also rare, so if a brony creates one, the oc will stand out from the crowd of unicorn and Pegasus Oc's, doesn't that give them a special twist as well?

I don't see why not. They're just as important as the Pegasi and the unicorns. Their main job is to grow crops on the land. I'd say food is pretty essential for life, which means Earth ponies have probably have the most important job of all.

Also, Pinkie and AJ are amazing ponies! ^_^ A pony should be loved for their personality, not their race.

Yeah I understand that, truthfully my favorite of the main six IS pinkie pie but I would rather be a Pegasus...... hmmm I guess most people would want to be more interesting........ huh.png  

-pokes earth pony avatar- Not enough love in my opinion, but that's mostly to do with how the show generally portrays most earth ponies. They're interesting traits go unnoticed because they aren't 'in your face' as magic or wings. 

In my own personal headcannon, I think earth ponies are like dwarves and their connection with the earth makes them great farmers, crafters and builders and helps them make up for their 'short-comings'. 

It's also canon(sorta) that they're stronger than other ponies seeing as most of the heavy lifting in ponyville is by Earth ponies. Of course if the plot calls for it, then unicorns and pegasus can be just as strong at times.

I've also noticed that while I see some over-powered Oc Twilight uni-Clones or Rainbow Dopplegangers, I've yet to see an over-powered Oc earth pony.