Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Japanese MLP: FiM

Yellow Diamond

If there is already a topic dedicated to this, then I apologize profusely and ask if one of the moderators could merge the threads.

I'm not sure if anyone else has come across this, but a MLP fan, ogatamon, has gone about dubbing certain scenes from MLP into Japanese. Most recently, she dubbed the Applejack chase from "The Last Round Up".

I find this both infinitely amusing and awesome at the same time. What do you think, fellow bronies?

• Brohoof 2

No... Just no.

Why not, if I may ask? It's a pretty legit translation from what I can tell, so it's not just "KAWAII DESU!!! ^_^" and faux Japanese. But maybe you have other reasons.

Why not, if I may ask? It's a pretty legit translation from what I can tell, so it's not just "KAWAII DESU!!! ^_^" and faux Japanese. But maybe you have other reasons.

It just dosent sound right. Instead of ''Applejack'' its ''Aplejacu''

I just cant feel the spirit i feel with the original. But thats so typical me, love the original and dislikes the others.

So we meet again Japanese FiM. (I posted some links in chat the other week)

here's one you may like (same uploader):

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkId1G0itgM&feature=channel_video_title

I love these Japanese fandubs, they're simply adorable.

I sincerely hope that one day the show will get an official Japanese dubbing, when it gets over to Japan someday. And that can't be an if, Hasbro would SURELY send this to Japan and see what they think. I mean, didn't they do that with Transformers or something similar?

Either way, if there's ever an official Japanese dub, I will totally watch it.

It just dosent sound right. Instead of ''Applejack'' its ''Aplejacu''

I just cant feel the spirit i feel with the original. But thats so typical me, love the original and dislikes the others.

"Appurujakku" to be precise.

The Japanese don't have the letter L in their language naturally and as such, it's never really used. So as a result, anything from English with an L in it turns into a "ru" since it's phonetically the most similar sound to L for them. Hence "Applejack - Appurujakku".

It's NOT because the Japanese can't say the letter L at all. That's a misconception. It's just very DIFFICULT for them to say the letter L because it's something they never ever use at all, just an odd phonetic of a foreign language to them.

Just had to explain why they were pronouncing it differently is all rather than just straight-up saying "Applejack". The English original is still always the best, of course :3

Edited by FinalGamer
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have to go on record as saying that my heart glowed a bit when Applejack yelled "Yatta!" It's not because I think Japanese is an inherently "funny" language, and thus I am entertained by the typical "lol pinkie-chan!!" jokes which may follow. Rather, I sincerely enjoy listening to media in different languages, with Japanese being one of my favorites, because it adds variety to perspective.

But Pinkie is super adorable in Japanese. I love her even more now.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 2

I have to go on record as saying that my heart glowed a bit when Applejack yelled "Yatta!" It's not because I think Japanese is an inherently "funny" language, and thus I am entertained by the typical "lol pinkie-chan!!" jokes which may follow. Rather, I sincerely enjoy listening to media in different languages, with Japanese being one of my favorites, because it adds variety to perspective.

But Pinkie is super adorable in Japanese. I love her even more now.

Pinkie is PERFECT in Japanese, at least by that voice but also for her personality being...so kawaii.

There I said it.

And I also love hearing media in different languages, hell I loved hearing MLP in Polish because I always loved the language of Poland. I'm not gonna talk about what dubs are good or bad, I just love hearing other languages <3

Fun fact for those unable to tell: Applejack speaks using the Kansai regional accent, which is the closest equivalent they have to the American South.

This fandub has a lot of work invested into it. I particularly enjoy how the voices match up with the personalities and manner of speaking for the characters, rather than just trying to sound exactly like the English voices.

• Brohoof 2

Fun fact for those unable to tell: Applejack speaks using the Kansai regional accent, which is the closest equivalent they have to the American South.

This fandub has a lot of work invested into it. I particularly enjoy how the voices match up with the personalities and manner of speaking for the characters, rather than just trying to sound exactly like the English voices.

I was pleased when I read that as well. I love that kind of attention to detail. Applejack having a distinct accent makes me think of Son Goku from Dragon Ball who, in Japanese, has a heavy "hick" dialect. That never really comes across in the English dubbing, however. Nuances like that are sometimes hard to capture correctly, so when someone does it, I'm both impressed and satisfied.

• Brohoof 1