Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft Just Blew Their Own Foot Off.

FoxyCryptid

Always online console, games tied to accounts, having nothing to offer but sports and call of duty, and on top of that the console is ugly as all hell.

Yup, the PS4 is looking more and more appealing.

• Brohoof 16

Hmm yeah, the PS4 looked good to me anyways. I have begun to hate the Xbox, I wan't something new and the Xbox one is not it. I'm hoping that the PS4 will be worth it. If not I can always get a WII U, which also looks great. 

• Brohoof 2

Did you notice the story updated?

Update: Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's. It is not clear if this process would negate a pre-owned fee.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Just calm down and see EVERYTHING they have to offer before you lose your heads ya'll.  Yeah, the used games fee is pretty lame, as is the lack of backwards compatibility.  BUT, they did not showcase EVERYTHING they have to offer on this console today guys.  It's day one, they spent one hour getting some of the more tedious features out of the way; all I'm saying is give this thing a chance ya'll before you go crucifying it ON DAY ONE OF ITS ANNOUNCEMENT!  15 titles at launch, they only announced a few that I'm sure they wanted to get out of the way before E3.  Besides, I'm not expecting that many great titles in the first year of launch anyways; the big companies (besides Activision/Infinity Ward) are going to take a few years to get games developed for the Xbox One, as I'm sure they will for PS4 as well.  Remember the 360 at launch?  There weren't very many good games at launch for that console either, but look what it became.  So, I again reiterate, just give this thing a chance to actually perform before you condemn it.  That's all I'm saying (on a side note, this post looks strangely similar to some of the Equestria Girls posts I've seen lately laugh.png).

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 5

If I remember correctly, they only said they wouldn't cut-off used games completely, which they did not.

Still, this console sucks.

And why switch to PS4 when you can switch to PC?

PC has backwards compatibility, mods, more/better patches and bugfixes, cracked/fake servers to get around always online DRM, and PC games go on sale all the goddamn time.

• Brohoof 11

(edited)

Did you notice the story updated?

Update: Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's. It is not clear if this process would negate a pre-owned fee.

I don't see how it would. There'd be no way of insuring that happened, someone could have a broken system with the games forever on it and sell them off in a useless state. 

Edited by Shoboni

Meh never really cared about Xbox anyway. Though seeing as I already have a Wii U and 3DS for my Nintendo fix and I'm planning on buying a nice PC for everything else I won't really need it or the PS4.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

If I remember correctly, they only said they wouldn't cut-off used games completely, which they did not.

PC has backwards compatibility, mods, more/better patches and bugfixes, cracked/fake servers to get around always online DRM, and PC games go on sale all the goddamn time.

Because of money, I can get a used console for like $200 on layway at the Pawnshop if I wait long enought, a Gaming PC I'd need at least $500-$600 up front to get everything, and that would be a pretty short-term one. 

Edited by Shoboni

Because of money, I can get a used console for like $200 on layway at the Pawnshop if I wait long enought, a Gaming PC I'd need at least $500-$600 up front to get everything, and they would be a pretty short-term one. 

Fortunately and unfortunately for me, trying to run intuos 5 and maximize the capability led me to dump pretty much $800+ into my computer especially since my focus was to be able to multitask in dual monitors. Well, least I have plathora of options I suppose. Maybe I should take this opportunity and start saving up for cinqie 24HD.

• Brohoof 1

Just calm down and see EVERYTHING they have to offer before you lose your heads ya'll.  Yeah, the used games fee is pretty lame, as is the lack of backwards compatibility.  BUT, they did not showcase EVERYTHING they have to offer on this console today guys.  It's day one, they spent one hour getting some of the more tedious features out of the way; all I'm saying is give this thing a chance ya'll before you go crucifying it ON DAY ONE OF ITS ANNOUNCEMENT!  15 titles at launch, they only announced a few that I'm sure they wanted to get out of the way before E3.  Besides, I'm not expecting that many great titles in the first year of launch anyways; the big companies (besides Activision/Infinity Ward) are going to take a few years to get games developed for the Xbox One, as I'm sure they will for PS4 as well.  Remember the 360 at launch?  There weren't very many good games at launch for that console either, but look what it became.  So, I again reiterate, just give this thing a chance to actually perform before you condemn it.  That's all I'm saying (on a side note, this post looks strangely similar to some of the Equestria Girls posts I've seen lately img-1485990-1-laugh.png).

This is awfully similar to Equestria Girls because we haven't seen it all yet, but the big difference I don't plan on spending $400+ or several hundred hours watching Equestria Girls. Even though after buying games and other things for total money spent on a console is closer to $1000. This is a bigger deal and I need to make the right choice the first time. However, even after all that I just said, I probably won't get a new console for at least a year or two after they've been out so I can see how they're doing. So right now I'm just having fun judging and looking things I can't have. laugh.png

• Brohoof 4

Just calm down and see EVERYTHING they have to offer before you lose your heads ya'll.  Yeah, the used games fee is pretty lame, as is the lack of backwards compatibility.  BUT, they did not showcase EVERYTHING they have to offer on this console today guys.  It's day one, they spent one hour getting some of the more tedious features out of the way; all I'm saying is give this thing a chance ya'll before you go crucifying it ON DAY ONE OF ITS ANNOUNCEMENT!  15 titles at launch, they only announced a few that I'm sure they wanted to get out of the way before E3.  Besides, I'm not expecting that many great titles in the first year of launch anyways; the big companies (besides Activision/Infinity Ward) are going to take a few years to get games developed for the Xbox One, as I'm sure they will for PS4 as well.  Remember the 360 at launch?  There weren't very many good games at launch for that console either, but look what it became.  So, I again reiterate, just give this thing a chance to actually perform before you condemn it.  That's all I'm saying (on a side note, this post looks strangely similar to some of the Equestria Girls posts I've seen lately img-1485990-1-laugh.png).

We don't have information about Equestria Girls that Hasbro in planing to screw us, either. If Hasbro went "we're only putting it on laser-disc to curb piracy and charging $100 a copy" then you could start comparing.   

(edited)

They're implementing a system where installations are mandatory and games are tied to accounts, so you have to pay a fee to install used games: The fact they downright promised Game Informer that they wouldn't pull this shit makes it worse

Welcome to PC gaming 101. SteamWorks, EA origin, and battle.net... and it all seems to be working for them

Hell Steam Summer and winter sales are the bomb, and they can due this due to the fact that Devs don't have to compete  with the used market

switching to a pc leave u in the same boat. NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY USED PC GAMES....How ever gaming on the pc is a better experiences to begin with

And only some B/C works on the PC.  Dos games use DosBox, windows XP games work on Vista and higher, Windows win3.x/95/98 games tend to not work at all on new OS and nether do they work on VMware Setup ether

The major bonus on pc gaming is u can torrent a copy of the game.. if it really sux u never wasted money on it

Edited by MadDoggyca

(edited)

Welcome to PC gaming 101. SteamWorks, EA origin, and battle.net... and it all seems to be working for them

Hell Steam Summer and winter sales are the bomb, and they can due this due to the fact that Devs don't have to compete  with the used market

Again, that's thinking of only the devs. Not all of us have that kinda of money to spend on downloads. Dropping $20 on a one game is spruging for me, and I rarely pay more than $5-$10.  

Edited by Shoboni

The reason i got a WiiU is because of the fact that Nintendo has a lot of "Triple A" series on their hands.

Something you can't get on a PC.

• Brohoof 1

Again, that's thinking of only the devs. Not all of us have that kinda of money to spend on downloads. Dropping $20 on a one game is spruging for me, and I rarely pay more than $5-$10.  

And this is why PC gaming is soooo much better, You can quite littery get a+++ titles for that much during Steam Summer sales.!! that's a win/win for everyone (and at that price point people dont care if they can't lend/resell games ether)

I dont play on console, but I'm going to throw my 2 bits in.

They're implementing a system where installations are mandatory and games are tied to accounts

...isn't this a good thing?
Wouldn't this mean you don't have to find the disc every time you wanted to play a game, and you can just play right off your console? If the disc gets scratched then you don't have to worry, its on your HDD!
Also, getting another console to replace your old one doesn't sound like it would happen to often (thats just me though), so I don't see that as a real issue...

Also, (I'm not 100% on this), wouldn't game loading and overall speed be faster since its off the HDD and not off a disc?

Don't you want faster loading times...and not having to worry about a disc to play..? Isn't that one of the reasons why steam is so popular?

so you have to pay a fee to install used games

Well...to be fair...this would avoid that thing...called...piracy...

Since games are installed to the HDD, it now has the same problem as a PC would, you can buy a game, install it, then give it to your friend then he can install it and now there are 2 versions when you only paid for one.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was planning on buying the new Xbox, because some of the exclusives that it's going to have would've appealed to me (specifically, Forza games), but now not so much.

This just needlessly complicates the whole experience for me. I'm a casual gamer (at best) that just doesn't have a lot of money to spend on this stuff nor do I have the desire to do so. This just feels like it makes everything way too involved and I really don't like having accounts for everything I do. I also borrow games a lot which I couldn't do with this system.

So PS4 it is.

As for PC gaming, never. Too expensive, and I'd have to know/learn a bunch of stuff that I simply don't feel like learning. Given how little I actually game, I prefer the relative simplicity of consoles.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Xbox One, it had to be the number one. Not 720, not 9000 (2001 Space Odyssey joke). Just, one.

Also it looks like a cross between a VCR and all the old stuff that I once had in the 90s.

Edited by Carbon Maestro

I was planning on buying the new Xbox, because some of the exclusives that it's going to have would've appealed to me (specifically, Forza games), but now not so much.

This just needlessly complicates the whole experience for me. I'm a casual gamer (at best) that just doesn't have a lot of money to spend on this stuff nor do I have the desire to do so. This just feels like it makes everything way too involved and I really don't like having accounts for everything I do.

So PS4 it is.

As for PC gaming, never. Too expensive, and I'd have to know/learn a bunch of stuff that I simply don't feel like learning. Given how little I actually game, I prefer the relative simplicity of consoles.

my suggest stick with Nintendo then wii/wiiU is built for simplicity

or wait for the OUYA to be released. made for simplicity and casual gaming 

I'll just keep my Wii U thanks for the offer Microsoft. Might get a PS4 maybe... if they have some exclusives that appeal to me and my bro.

Shrug.gif

I don't like it either, but hey, what are you going to do? Really, stop complaining. If you're that heavily opposed, don't get the console, simple as that. I'll be getting it, personally. 

Precisely this, my friend. I don't have the money right now for a good gaming PC that can keep up with this generation of games, let alone next gen. I can split the cost between me and my brother, and get the Xbox for alot less. Granted, I do know that PC gaming is better and I would prefer to do that, but if this is what I have to go for, so be it. Especially because Halo :3

• Brohoof 2

my suggest stick with Nintendo then wii/wiiU is built for simplicity

or wait for the OUYA to be released. made for simplicity and casual gaming 

Nah, what little games I enjoy playing aren't on the Wii and while I don't dislike Nintendo's games, they don't really appeal to me much either outside of Pokémon for the handheld. PS4 has a lot of the games I enjoy with very few exceptions, so it's the clear choice for me.

I would have considered both PS4 and the new Xbox (provided I can save up enough) but I'm just way too iffy on Microsoft's new system. It's a pity, but at least I can save some quid.

I'm holding my reservations. I'm a PC gamer. We've been dealing with a complete hindrance on used games and game sharing for over a decade.

(edited)

Bloody hell Microsoft, stop stabbing slapping your customers in the face! You best be giving out free Internets to them from now on.... One can dream, right? Why cant you just abandon this foolish quest of yours and go back to focusing on other things Microsoft? Like curing cancer or finding out just why do kids love Ovaltine? But alas, you love money and the kids love your slab of a console. 

Oh god I just saw an image for the new console and sweet cheese puffs on a Sunday morning is it bad. Quick guys, lets jump into my DeLorean and pay the 80's a visit!

Edited by Accellerant
  • Brohoof 3