Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft Just Blew Their Own Foot Off.

FoxyCryptid

well Im personal a PC gamer only.

though the initial hardware may be a tade pricey, the games are way cheaper

IE 60+ for new console games VS .99-20 for new pc games. and if your a smart buyer pc gamers tend to only shop twice a year, Steam Summer and winter sales and A+++ games can go as low/high 75% off.

So you pay a bit more for the hardware to get a 1000+ better exprinces then consoles and games are aobut 80% cheaper then console games.

lets also not forget other online deals like Humble Bundle deals were u get get like 5+ games for as little as 99c

--------------------------------------

The interesting part here is now Xbox live/MS can now basically due the same thing since there tieing  all games to accounts. Time will tell if Xbox Store will have crazy sales like steam dose.

I dont like the new xbox and I have no interest in the ps4. Unless they announce some really awesome games for them I think ill just keep my money. Iv already got a 360 and a ps3 that I never use and so far I have found 0 reasons to buy any of the next gen consoles and lots of reasons to not buy one so meh. 

I've never had a thing for Microsoft when it comes to gaming. Sony is alright, Sega used to be up there with Nintendo, but Microsoft? No. I can get almost all XBox games that I'd want for whatever reason on PC, or a different console all together. So why bother? So I can play Call of Duty? Pssh.

Miyamoto for President 2016!

post-6768-0-48667200-1369169658_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Hmm so I pay for a game then I have to install it on my system, that sucks

OH WAIT That's exactly how PC gaming works

The used game fee hasn't even been confirmed that was just a rumor, read the edit.

• Brohoof 2

I have to pay a fee to play a used game?Pre-order cancelled.

Seriously though,I'm not gonna hold my breath until it actually comes out and see what the library is looking like thus far.Only reason I'm considering getting a WiiU is simply for Bayonetta 2,and the only reason I'd even bother getting a PS4 is because of inFAMOUS: Second Son and possibly more Sly Cooper games since they recently released the fourth one for PS3.I could care less about the system itself,honestly.

If none of the games interest me enough to go out and buy one of the new consoles...well,I always wanted a good gaming PC anyways.

• Brohoof 1

I dont play on console, but I'm going to throw my 2 bits in.

...isn't this a good thing?

Wouldn't this mean you don't have to find the disc every time you wanted to play a game, and you can just play right off your console? If the disc gets scratched then you don't have to worry, its on your HDD!

Also, getting another console to replace your old one doesn't sound like it would happen to often (thats just me though), so I don't see that as a real issue...

Also, (I'm not 100% on this), wouldn't game loading and overall speed be faster since its off the HDD and not off a disc?

Don't you want faster loading times...and not having to worry about a disc to play..? Isn't that one of the reasons why steam is so popular?

Well...to be fair...this would avoid that thing...called...piracy...

Since games are installed to the HDD, it now has the same problem as a PC would, you can buy a game, install it, then give it to your friend then he can install it and now there are 2 versions when you only paid for one.

1)Yes, if they weren't using it to charge people to play used games

2)See above, each disc is tied to one account, and one account only at a time. 

And this is why PC gaming is soooo much better, You can quite littery get a+++ titles for that much during Steam Summer sales.!! that's a win/win for everyone (and at that price point people dont care if they can't lend/resell games ether)

Again, that's all digital copies that I'm at their mercy with. If I have hardware and a hard copy I do whatever I want, and don't get locked out of playing just because they're having server issues, or quit carrying a game. 

(edited)

2)See above, each disc is tied to one account, and one account only at a time. 

Because you have to install games now. It only makes sense, its to avoid piracy.

If you had a disc, and you sold it...you dont have the disc anymore. So it only make sense if a game is tied to one account because that account only bought one copy of the game.

1)Yes, if they weren't using it to charge people to play used games

This I don't see a purpose in...maybe to get some extra cash? (This is Microsoft were talking about here.) So I do agree that charging people for used games after you already payed for it is kinda stupid, but I do see the logic behind it..sorta..

Edited by Hypereddie

(edited)

The used game fee hasn't even been confirmed that was just a rumor, read the edit.

That second update wasn't there when we started talking about it. It was just put up a few minutes ago quite a while after the article was posted. They also said they won't "confirm or deny", so it just sounds like really back back-peddling to cover their asses. 

Because you have to install games now. It only makes sense, its to avoid piracy.

If you had a disc, and you sold it...you dont have the disc anymore. So it only make sense if a game is tied to one account because that account only bought one copy of the game.

Which is a broken system that can go in wrong so many ways. It hurts the people that bought it instead of the pirates, who can just crack and remove the function. 

Edited by Shoboni

(edited)
Again, that's all digital copies that I'm at their mercy with. If I have hardware and a hard copy I do whatever I want, and don't get locked out of playing just because they're having server issues, or quit carrying a game.

btw steam has a offline mode when not able to connect to the internet. Origin and even battle.net has this function. The only games that you play well being offline are mmo and games like simcity 5. but you get that issue on any console.

steam also allows you to make your own install disc for the games you buy digital so your back to back them up and install of disc instead of re downloading them

Also steamWorks has a fail safe in place.. IF for what ever reason they decided to discontinue there Service/Servers they will release a a patch for ever game/dlc they offer so you can continue to play the game even with out steamworks

Edited by MadDoggyca

True. But consoles games don't have sales every week.

Also, older PC games can be played used. You can get plenty of good games DRM free.

But I guess there really is not point in arguing this because PC will always be superior and everybody knows it.

• Brohoof 1

btw steam has a offline mode when not able to connect to the internet. Origin and even battle.net has this function. The only games that you play well being offline are mmo and games like simcity 5. but you get that issue on any console.

steam also allows you to make your own install disc for the games you buy digital so your back to back them up and install of disc instead of re downloading them

Also steamWorks has a fail safe in place.. IF for what ever reason they decided to discontinue there Service/Servers they will release a a patch for ever game/dlc they offer so you can continue to play the game even with out steamworks

That still leaves me with them and only them to buy from, and no option get lucky and find a game for like $1 at a yardsale, it also screws us game collectors out of be able to collect said games and have nice boxes and manuals and fun extra crap. I have one budget PC game I found that comes with a fake newspaper page detailing the games back-story in the form of the "news" on it, for example. 

Just calm down and see EVERYTHING they have to offer before you lose your heads ya'll.  Yeah, the used games fee is pretty lame, as is the lack of backwards compatibility.  BUT, they did not showcase EVERYTHING they have to offer on this console today guys.  It's day one, they spent one hour getting some of the more tedious features out of the way; all I'm saying is give this thing a chance ya'll before you go crucifying it ON DAY ONE OF ITS ANNOUNCEMENT!  15 titles at launch, they only announced a few that I'm sure they wanted to get out of the way before E3.  Besides, I'm not expecting that many great titles in the first year of launch anyways; the big companies (besides Activision/Infinity Ward) are going to take a few years to get games developed for the Xbox One, as I'm sure they will for PS4 as well.  Remember the 360 at launch?  There weren't very many good games at launch for that console either, but look what it became.  So, I again reiterate, just give this thing a chance to actually perform before you condemn it.  That's all I'm saying (on a side note, this post looks strangely similar to some of the Equestria Girls posts I've seen lately img-1485990-1-laugh.png).

I think comparing this to Equestria Girls is not a good comparison. One is a movie spin-off of a show and it will not actually effect the direct canon of the show. This though, is Microsoft's next major console. This is there step into next-gen and this is how they start? By effectively saying: "Oh, you wanna lend that game to a friend? Well, they gotta pay us first!" Any way you slice it, that is complete shit. While the idea of having the games installed and no longer needing the disc is kinda cool, making that required and doing what I just said, is a horrible move. Sure, we still have to wait and see what else is in store, but you cannot blame people for jumping the gun on something this horrendous. I just cannot think of many positives of this.

Even though I do not like EqG much, I can still think of positives for it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Always online console, games tied to accounts, having nothing to offer but sports and call of duty, and on top of that the console is ugly as all hell.

Yup, the PS4 is looking more and more appealing.

who else thinks that wii u will sell twice as much as the xbox once some new games come out for it

im taking all bets here

ps. ps4 will certainly be good, microsoft is digging its own grave anyhow, first it was paying for xbl, now its this bullsh*t, talk about disapointing

Edited by Staticthor Draconus
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Again, everypony just calm down for two seconds.  I'm not a Microsoft fanboy, I'm just a gamer who's been quite satisfied in my experiences with choosing Microsoft's consoles as my gaming platform of choice (just getting that out there).  We're not going to possibly be able to figure out, determine, or even accurately speculate how good or bad the Xbox One will be on day one of its announcement.  Some things look quite promising about it, other things look worrisome, but I think it's rather silly for anyone to be flat-out saying right now that they for sure will love or hate this console.  Give it a chance to launch and sell (or just for Microsoft to release more concrete information about this thing for crying out loud) before you lose your heads over this thing, OK?  I get that it's a big purchase that people like to plan ahead for, but just CALM DOWN and wait at least for E3.

Don't believe me that it's silly to condemn something so quickly?  Well then think back to Kinect.  Now, does it still have a lot of problems in its functionality?  Yes, I'd readily admit that from firsthand experience with it.  BUT, before it released EVERYONE predicted that it was going to bomb and not sell at all.  What happened instead?  Kinect sold like hotcakes and blew Sony's Motion out of the water.  From a fiscal point of view, Kinect has been a resounding success with consumers.  So again, do not simply assume ON DAY ONE (can't emphasize that enough) of Xbox One's announcement that it's going to BOMB!!!

P.S. Apologies to anypony who disagreed with my Equestria Girls comparison, I wasn't trying to say it was specifically exact, simply that the reactions have been strikingly similar.  That's all.

who else thinks that wii u will sell twice as much as the xbox once some new games come out for it

im taking all bets here

ps. ps4 will certainly be good, microsoft is digging its own grave anyhow, first it was paying for xbl, now its this bullsh*t, talk about disapointing

Pffft. yay.png  Wii U's been selling far below Nintendo's estimations since its release.  Friend of mine who's actually involved in game development thinks they might even have to scrap the console altogether in the next year or so and develop one that can actually measure up to legitimate Eighth Generation consoles like the PS4 or the Xbox One (depending on how the latter do upon release and how the Wii U does in the next year or so).  Whether or not that happens is anybodies guess, but the FACT remains that Wii U has certainly not met Nintendo's expectations in sales as of yet, and that's when it was the only new console on the market.  Just saying, that doesn't bode well from a business perspective, nor does the fact that technologically many gamers have found it underwhelming.

Also, as for XBL, I've never minded paying for it, ya know why?  Cause my account never got hacked!  That's right, I'm pulling that card, but the point stands; while XBL certainly costs money, Microsoft has always delivered a high quality and secure experience in return.  I'm not saying Sony hasn't, from what I know PS3 owners are quite satisfied with the gaming capabilities of the PSN, but I have heard that its social functions are kinda lackluster.  But whatever, I'm not here for a console war; I'm just here to say AGAIN don't jump to any conclusions about a console when it was just announced not even 12 hours ago.  We'll just have to wait and see as new information comes out, new games are announced, and we learn more about both the PS4 and Xbox One's capabilities.  I know we all wish we could do more, but right now, as things stand, that's really all we can do: just wait and see. sleep.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, I didn't see the preview or whatever, so i have not a terribly good idea of how it'll work.

I do kinda think having to install all games could prove troublesome, because unlike PC consoles don't get tons of sales, or any much really.

I might buy the new Xbox if it has something title wise I like, but otherwise I won't even bother.

I'm already gonna be outta money buying some other things, and I am kinda thinking about getting a 3DS for some games, not to mention Wii U for a couple to. I guess they seem more appealing though since the Xbox one and PS4 haven't been released yet though.

but yeah, I'm not going to buy any of the new consoles for a bit, I don't have the cash in my budget for it :P.

I guess I'll see where this goes.

Again, everypony just calm down for two seconds.  I'm not a Microsoft fanboy, I'm just a gamer who's been quite satisfied in my experiences with choosing Microsoft's consoles as my gaming platform of choice (just getting that out there).  We're not going to possibly be able to figure out, determine, or even accurately speculate how good or bad the Xbox One will be on day one of its announcement.  

We're not, we're judging a announced feature that they refuse to deny or confirm, that could cripple our ability to use and enjoy the system. 

(edited)

That still leaves me with them and only them to buy from, and no option get lucky and find a game for like $1 at a yardsale, it also screws us game collectors out of be able to collect said games and have nice boxes and manuals and fun extra crap. I have one budget PC game I found that comes with a fake newspaper page detailing the games back-story in the form of the "news" on it, for example. 

well if there one thing I do know its differently about collecting PC games. None the less when games are as cheap as 99c-20$ on a steam sale its total worth collecting even though I don't get a retail box... I do get the bits

https://imageshack.us/a/img716/879/testetc.jpg

PS, A real Collector doesn't Sell Games, They only Hoard them.. So not being able to re-sale isn't a issue for people like me

PSS, Also even though its agesnt TOS/EULA's I have sold Accounts before. I recently sold and transferred my PSN account that had over 238 DLC attached to it... so its not like you can;t sell accounts like PSN/Steam/Origin accounts..

Also, as for XBL, I've never minded paying for it, ya know why? Cause my account never got hacked! That's right, I'm pulling that card, but the point stands; while XBL certainly costs money,

my steam/origin  never been hacked ether..and there free... (and we get dedicated server and mod tool support depending on the game) Live Chat in game, as well as Trading games...I can backup my games, and I can install the games as many times as I like on Unlimited number of pcs, all for free,

I could also turn around and sell the account and linked games if I wanted to for a grand price... (depends on how many games are linked to said account)

Mine  @ http://steamdb.info/calculator/?player=madDoggyca&currency=us

some of the free or no price is a bit wrong using this Calulator,

IE, Game Studio was 49.99, Company of Heroes 29.99, Ms Flight 100.91

and it doesn't add DLC for games.. so like BO1 all DLC is 60$ and so on

so I be roughing it at about 1400-ish with all the DLC for all the games I own,

Edited by MadDoggyca

We're not, we're judging a announced feature that they refuse to deny or confirm, that could cripple our ability to use and enjoy the system. 

I get THAT (even though information for that feature has been changing pretty much on the hour since its announcement), but what I don't get is people behaving like this platform will have NO titles that they like simply because Microsoft chose to announce only a new COD and some sports games TODAY!  I know YOU'RE not saying that Shoboni, but I've seen plenty others going, "Ughhh, Microsoft's catering to sports and casual FPS gamers, this console's gonna suck".  Just driving me crazy is all, simply because that whole mindset is just SO ILLOGICAL!!! happy.png

• Brohoof 1

well if there one thing I do know its differently about collecting PC games. None the less when games are as cheap as 99c-20$ on a steam sale its total worth collecting even though I don't get a retail box... I do get the bits

https://imageshack.us/a/img716/879/testetc.jpg

PS, A real Collector doesn't Sell Games, They only Hoard them.. So not being able to re-sale isn't a issue for people like me

But other people do, and I can but the games from them(I paid $8 used for Skyrim last year, not happening on Steam), and I just found a GOTY edition of Dead Island that was almost brand new for $10. I can find far better deals by scouring yard sales and thrift shops, something I can't do with digital copies. Nothing can quite replace the feeling of digging through boxes, haggling prices, or just shooting the shit the seller while you pay.  

I get THAT (even though information for that feature has been changing pretty much on the hour since its announcement), but what I don't get is people behaving like this platform will have NO titles that they like simply because Microsoft chose to announce only a new COD and some sports games TODAY!  I know YOU'RE not saying that Shoboni, but I've seen plenty others going, "Ughhh, Microsoft's catering to sports and casual FPS gamers, this console's gonna suck".  Just driving me crazy is all, simply because that whole mindset is just SO ILLOGICAL!!! happy.png

Oh, well, I never brought that up, I'm just talking about this one feature specifically, I don't have too worry about launch because I wait until there's no good games coming out for the last gen before I upgrade. It was something like 2009 before I got a Xbox360.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Looks like it's going to be PS4 and Wii U for me. And about that used game bullshit, now EA getting rid of online passes makes more sense...*sigh* right when I get into the Halo series...

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh, well, I never brought that up, I'm just talking about this one feature specifically, I don't have too worry about launch because I wait until there's no good games coming out for the last gen before I upgrade. It was something like 2009 before I got a Xbox360.

Yeah I hear ya on that, and I'm probably gonna wait too because games at launch are usually not the best titles out there.  I probably would've waited longer to get my 360 but Halo 3 came out in 2007 and I just had to have that, so I mowed lawns all summer (ah, high school jobs happy.png) and saved up for it, which was pretty awesome to earn in all honesty.  But yeah, buying a console at launch is stupid no matter how good it turns out; the smart thing to do is wait for some good titles along with hardware and software updates to the console that get all the launch kinks out of it before purchasing.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I hear ya on that, and I'm probably gonna wait too because games at launch are usually not the best titles out there.  I probably would've waited longer to get my 360 but Halo 3 came out in 2007 and I just had to have that, so I mowed lawns all summer (ah, high school jobs happy.png) and saved up for it, which was pretty awesome to earn in all honesty.  But yeah, buying a console at launch is stupid no matter how good it turns out; the smart thing to do is wait for some good titles along with hardware and software updates to the console that get all the launch kinks out of it before purchasing.

I earned mine by scrapping copper and electric motors. I had to tear so many fans, vacuums, coffee pots, ect down it wasn't funny. 

• Brohoof 1

But other people do, and I can but the games from them(I paid $8 used for Skyrim last year, not happening on Steam), and I just found a GOTY edition of Dead Island that was almost brand new for $10. I can find far better deals by scouring yard sales and thrift shops, something I can't do with digital copies. Nothing can quite replace the feeling of digging through boxes, haggling prices, or just shooting the shit the seller while you pay.

true that

But I refuse to by new games used now on the PC.. Most Retail games now require to link CD-key to account.. so essentially you end up buying a used copy you can;t use... The only time I buy a used NEW game that the cd-ley already been used is if I already own a Digital copy and want a box, manual and case to go with it... Then I can back my digital copy and add it to the used box with my cd-key that came with the digital copy

(edited)

true that

But I refuse to by new games used now on the PC.. Most Retail games now require to link CD-key to account.. so essentially you end up buying a used copy you can;t use... The only time I buy a used NEW game that the cd-ley already been used is if I already own a Digital copy and want a box, manual and case to go with it... Then I can back my digital copy and add it to the used box with my cd-key that came with the digital copy

I mostly buy for consoles, or by older PC games, or stuff that doesn't have those DRM measures(most cheaper games that come out at $20 or under don't have codes and such)

Well guys, it just got worse:

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

You have to "check-in" online at least every 24-hours. 

Edited by Shoboni

Fortunately for me though a gaming PC will do more than just games. Think about the artists, the musicians, the facebook that you do with your PC.

But if I had a choice for the 3 consoles, PS4 then.