Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why am I expecting violence in a show where there will be very little violence?

sampsoninc916

(edited)

One of the things about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that makes it so successful is that it portrays some sort of innocent happy place where people can watch and escape for a little while, then go back to a reality where things are harder. There aren't any terrorists on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, nor will there ever be. There's only evil kings and queens as villains on the show, not terrorists that make you think of al Queda or Afghanistan. One problem does remain with me though. Given the show's strong suit in developing the characters and putting them in situations that really are relatable to both kids and adults, such as bullying, fighting for your friendships, or even persisting even through such hard times, why do I keep on expecting more violence or abuse in a show where there won't be any. Sure, there's a limit to how much violence you can put in a show that's rated TV-Y, but for the most part, it's innocent, care free fun. To be honest, I was expecting A Canterlot Wedding to be more violent than it actually is, actually, far more violent. I was sort of expecting Princess Celestia to abuse Twilight or give her some sort of beating just because she tried to warn Celestia about the danger. Heck, I was sort of expecting some character to die, maybe a random red shirt or something, because as we all know from Star Trek, red shirts have low life expectancies. Thought they were going to pull a Lion King on us with the death of Celestia. Thankfully, I got none of these, just Twilight getting shunned, Celestia going unconscious, and some sort of silly fight with a pack of changelings. With the first, it sort of felt like Ponyville Confidential, where the town didn't want to talk to the Cutie Mark Crusaders because they were gossiping about them, just, "I don't want to talk to you right now", yet you're still friends with them, yet when they rectified their mistakes by apologizing in the paper, the town forgave them and everything was good. Similar to Twilight, who rectified her mistake at the morning wedding rehearsal by bringing back the real Cadence, apparent she thought the imposter Cadence was the real Cadence gone evil, but she was wrong. With the second, any human being can go into unconciousness. Sure, we're not totally magically powerful like Celestia, but we are tough. We're in a deeper sleep than usual, still breathing, but it's hard to wake us up. With the third, do you really think anyone wants some sort of recreation of Saving Private Ryan or even Glory, you know, war movies, where the bloodshed was great and you have a ton of dead bodies and chopped limbs lying on the ground, all in a cartoon? Of course not. That would sacrifice our TV-Y rating, wouldn't it. But the question here is, why am I expecting violence in a show where I know there isn't going to be very much of it? Maybe it's because of, I don't know, PG-13, R, video game ratings like T and M, and maybe the fact that books like the Hunger Games have a lot of blood and violence, yet they tone it down for the PG-13 rating just to get a wider audience? Maybe I'm a guy? Heck, maybe there are many things wrong with me that I need to correct. Wonder if it's that, things wrong with me? How about you try to help me out here, because I know that My Little Pony Friendship is Magic would never have gritty violence or abuse at all. That would sacrifice the innocence of the show.

Edited by sampsoninc916

I see a lot of people wanting the show to be darker and more violent. I have a few reasons why they may think this.

I feel like because the writers of the show know about it's older audiences and we expect them to make an episode for us. Where they do darker things that involve abuse,  drugs, and death. It's a weak reason, but still one. 

Another reason is some characters like Trixie and Gilda, we want to know why they act like jerks. Did something dark or tragic happen in their life's to make them that way? Did Trixie live a hard life at first and found being a jerk and telling lies made her show better. We just want to see more with characters and why they are this way.

• Brohoof 1

Well as a society in America we have glorified violence. It's the American culture now. I personally wouldn't mind a violent episode of MLP, but I wouldn't expect it. I would not really enjoy it anyway since it feels nice to watch a innocent show like MLP. Maybe since the majority audience is older we expect an episode at our levels like TV-14 while the episodes are all at TV-Y? That could be a possibility.

(edited)

To be honest, one of the main reasons (if not the main reason) that I love this show so much is precisely the lack of violence or excessively "dark" themes. Now, if someone likes those kinds of themes, then great, I have no disrespect, but personally I cannot stand them, and I feel they have no place at all in MLP.

The world is depressing enough as it is without having to see the horrors of humanity in a cartoon. I (and again I am speaking only for myself here) cannot really fathom why people expect everything to be so dark and depressing (and that this in turn makes a story instantly good). I believe that anything that contributes to a smile and a renewed faith in people as a whole is much better than contributing to the image of humanity as a twisted nightmare (regardless of whether or not that image is true). It seems like everything tries to cater to "darkness", from TV to comics to video games, and it's always labelled as more "mature" because of it. Like maturity is equal to having a bitter and jaded worldview and everything is violence and hatred. My Little Pony (and shows like it) is like an oasis from all that. It allows me to, for a while, take a break from the bad and see a world where good always comes out on top and everyone always ends up happy. Why can't "mature" also equal "optimistic"?

Honestly, the day that MLP decides to be "dark" or violent will be the day I leave the fandom.

Note: I apologise if this post sounds a little combative or inflammatory. I certainly didn't mean for it to, and I respect anyone's tastes, be they "dark" or "light". I suppose I do feel a bit strongly about this.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 4

I think it is because some people like violence simply for its own sake and while there are some shows that have its place with the occasional exception I don't really care for it. I don't mind blood and gore and violence and it can be an extremely powerful story telling tool if used correctly but it dosen't take a lot of imagination or creativity to make something violent just because and too much of it can make it lose its impact making it less powerful as a story telling tool. Of course they are never going to include those elements in the show but there are plenty of great fanfics which do have some of that so I would suggest a few of those to satisfy any cravings you might have for violence driven pony stories.

Mostly because dark/ violent things spice things up in certain shows and sometimes makes them a bit interesting. Personally I think MLP can go without going to deep with the violence and dark themes. Leave that kind of stuff to the fandom who makes it dark enough already. Also the comics are pretty dark from what I here so I don't see why the T.V. series should/ shouldn't go the same route.

One of the things about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that makes it so successful is that it portrays some sort of innocent happy place where people can watch and escape for a little while, then go back to a reality where things are harder. There aren't any terrorists on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, nor will there ever be. There's only evil kings and queens as villains on the show, not terrorists that make you think of al Queda or Afghanistan. One problem does remain with me though. Given the show's strong suit in developing the characters and putting them in situations that really are relatable to both kids and adults, such as bullying, fighting for your friendships, or even persisting even through such hard times, why do I keep on expecting more violence or abuse in a show where there won't be any. Sure, there's a limit to how much violence you can put in a show that's rated TV-Y, but for the most part, it's innocent, care free fun. To be honest, I was expecting A Canterlot Wedding to be more violent than it actually is, actually, far more violent. I was sort of expecting Princess Celestia to abuse Twilight or give her some sort of beating just because she tried to warn Celestia about the danger. Heck, I was sort of expecting some character to die, maybe a random red shirt or something, because as we all know from Star Trek, red shirts have low life expectancies. Thought they were going to pull a Lion King on us with the death of Celestia. Thankfully, I got none of these, just Twilight getting shunned, Celestia going unconscious, and some sort of silly fight with a pack of changelings. With the first, it sort of felt like Ponyville Confidential, where the town didn't want to talk to the Cutie Mark Crusaders because they were gossiping about them, just, "I don't want to talk to you right now", yet you're still friends with them, yet when they rectified their mistakes by apologizing in the paper, the town forgave them and everything was good. Similar to Twilight, who rectified her mistake at the morning wedding rehearsal by bringing back the real Cadence, apparent she thought the imposter Cadence was the real Cadence gone evil, but she was wrong. With the second, any human being can go into unconciousness. Sure, we're not totally magically powerful like Celestia, but we are tough. We're in a deeper sleep than usual, still breathing, but it's hard to wake us up. With the third, do you really think anyone wants some sort of recreation of Saving Private Ryan or even Glory, you know, war movies, where the bloodshed was great and you have a ton of dead bodies and chopped limbs lying on the ground, all in a cartoon? Of course not. That would sacrifice our TV-Y rating, wouldn't it. But the question here is, why am I expecting violence in a show where I know there isn't going to be very much of it? Maybe it's because of, I don't know, PG-13, R, video game ratings like T and M, and maybe the fact that books like the Hunger Games have a lot of blood and violence, yet they tone it down for the PG-13 rating just to get a wider audience? Maybe I'm a guy? Heck, maybe there are many things wrong with me that I need to correct. Wonder if it's that, things wrong with me? How about you try to help me out here, because I know that My Little Pony Friendship is Magic would never have gritty violence or abuse at all. That would sacrifice the innocence of the show.

Now that, sir, IS REALLY RACIST. Why say Afghanistan? Are you saying that Afghanistanis are terrorists and violent?

On topic, I think that the reason that people like MLP is of the happy and cheerful nature of it, and that it isn't dark nature and bear in mind, this show is primal for young girls

(edited)

I think kids can handle more than we give them credit. 

“When bad things happen, I know you want to believe they are a joke, but sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light.”

tumblr_maetumqAGA1rggvdpo1_400.gif

Edited by Circadian

(edited)

Not sure if this counts as darkness, but I'd really like to see an episode dealing with death of some sort. It's an unavoidable part of life, and presenting it through this form would make it easier for kids to understand.

Edited by Addem Up

Now that, sir, IS REALLY RACIST. Why say Afghanistan? Are you saying that Afghanistanis are terrorists and violent?

I hope that is a joke, If it is a joke it is not funny. Are you aware of the massive war going on over there? What he was saying is Afghanistan is currently are war zone and as a result is full of violence. 

IMO I dont think the show needs any more violence then what is already in it It manages to create challenges and puts the mane 6 in difficult situations without acting like a cheap horror movie and falling on the easy plot of just at more violence. Its nice that there is 1 thing in this world that dose not revolve around violence. Dont get me wrong I like to kill people on GTA just as much as the next guy but not everything needs violence in it and MLP is one of those things.

I wouldnt go as far as Have a demon in every Episode but really There are violent if you do not notice That alot of evertree forest monsters could be said to be too dark for a little girls show. and really King Sombra, Chrysalis, NMN, Discord, Dragons were really dark.

But I wouldnt mind if they did A Movie with a Lot of violent as long as The ones that are getting hurt are Not the mane six but the villains and the secondary characters

I think kids can handle more than we give them credit.

In most cases, they can. Which means the issue is simply this false taboo our modern society has adopted in the past ten years. Look at 90's cartoons. Even though MLP works to kill all of those 'girly girl' stereotypical bull crap, they can't bypass the censors that networks have.

• Brohoof 1

I really do not understand why anyone would want major violence in this show. The human race itself is plenty violent enough to satisfy anyone's need. The human species is built upon masochism it seems, just by look at it's past as a perfect example, as well as the mythologies that constantly have torturing, murder, genocide, and a bunch of other fun stuff. So yeah, I say, if you want hardcore violence, try the pointless Saw films or any religious text. The show has it's own dark little moments and those work fine for what they are. A little darkness never hurt anyone, because it can be the set up for good plots or morals, but actual violence is pretty pointless.

It's easy to forget that FIM is a show for kids, so a true violent turn won't ever happen.  With that said, I'm always amazed on how many subversions, tragedies, and especially grimdarks keep popping out of this fandom in fan art, fanfics and the like.  Maybe it's just me, but I think that some parts of the brony fandom makes My Little Pony seem a bit darker than it should be. 

Ok, well there's a difference between a series having action and tension and being violent. Having the main characters be in danger and fighting the bad guys isn't really violence, I mean it's a form of violence sure but it's like violence in the most acceptable way possible.

"Don't change a winning team".

You see, MLP:FIM is good just the way it is. If they start bringing "darker" stuff to it, they'll ruin it.

But that's just my opinion and to be honest I'm not very strong in it. After all, I run a RPG where there are ponies blowing up the crap out of foreign invaders with magic, and I like Fallout Equestria.

I guess that that's what fanfiction is for, while keeping the main show "free".