Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where does the show rank among the best shows ever?

CastletonSnob

I don’t know and I don’t care. For me personally is all that matters, and for me, for how much I like to rag on certain points, it’s still a top 5 show 

• Brohoof 2

I never really believe in ranking shows/episodes/whatever in a specific order like a Top 10 list. I usually just put them in categories like shows I would want to watch over and over, shows that I want to avoid, shows that simply don't interest me, and so on.

I would definitely put My Little Pony in the category of "shows that left quite an impression on me" as well as "shows that I would want again and again"

• Brohoof 1

Lists like that tend to consider historical importance, so I guess this might make one of the lower rankings in one such list, because it successfully rejuvenated an iconic brand, plus its first few seasons were somewhat notable at the time for the online peripheral fandom. And fewer classic TV shows have consistent track records than you might think; would anyone deny the importance of Star Trek, even though nearly every version of that show has several episodes nobody likes? But I just don't feel like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic deserves that pedestal. So much of it just isn't all that good, and - admitting that I don't watch many cartoons - it seems like it was rapidly eclipsed and spent most of its run playing catch-up. If we're talking "best," I don't feel like Friendship is Magic has the consistency to rank on such a list at all. But I guess time will tell what its legacy is, and if I look back at the show, there's at least one season that is mostly great, and a binge of all my favourite episodes would take me across all nine seasons. For me, I'm not sure that's enough to call the show great, but I think a lot of people feel otherwise. 

• Brohoof 1

It’s number 1 for me.  It nailed what no other shows ever could for me.  And that’s having characters I not only love, but absolutely obsess over.  

And how I feel about it is all that matters to me. 

• Brohoof 1

It's definitely top tier... not to many shows on par with it. Never thought at my age I would be watching an entire series about talking ponies designed for little girls. The characters feel like part of the family after a while which really set it apart from other cartoons. The characters have development and change over time and such... become better people. Season 1 Twilight probably wouldn't be able to stand Season 9 Twilight with all her friendship speeches. Season 1 Twilight barely could stand people. I think on that alone... it's rated pretty highly. Another thing is that the bad episodes aren't really that bad... just the good episodes are hard to live by. 

MLP is somewhere between Top Tier and God Tier for me.

• 1 month later...

Due to how much I love the pony universe, how much nostalgia I have for it, and how much it impacted me, I'd be very tempted to put this at number one. But taking off those rose-tinted glasses, and looking at the actual overall quality of the show, I'd have to drop it down a bit. I love the earlier seasons and the middle ones are alright too, but those last couple of seasons definitely bring it down for me. Due to the inconsistent quality, I can't really put it as my favorite. Amongst my favorites, sure, but not my absolute favorite (there are simply shows with a more consistent quality than this one).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's my favorite show ever made. I know it's not the "best show in terms of overall writing quality, continuity deliverence, and I guess what you would call an overall trueness to the original plot dynamics that started the show." the show often deviates from its own logic or just overlooks big holes in what should be it's "continuity" and sometimes these facts that were supposed to play a huge part of a certain plotline completely lose all relevance when convenient for another plot... Like there are hundreds of things wrong with My Little Pony: The Movie (2017), but I looooove it. Tempest is one of the easiest sells I've ever seen. I make justifications for things I love but in the back of my mind I don't ignore the logic or lack thereof being used, much like I am when being cynical of real life social dynamics. In all honesty I could probably ruin all kinds of media for many people, it's just NOBODY and I mean NOBODY can ruin My Little Pony for me. Not Friendship is Magic, I am in love with everything it's taught me, and everything I've forgot in my own selfish pursuits, friends don't come easy, and seeing certain relatable characters struggle with this dynamic and overcoming their own flaws from social anxiety, to paranoia, to control issues, to even just the simplicity of Equestria Girls and when I say simplicity when referring to EQG I mean it lol... But I love it! Big time, Sunset is very relatable, people want to win, they want to have power, they want to have elevated status, they portray her in her "developmental stages" as regretful, paranoid, irritable, and kind of assuming this role as an outsider even among her new friends, she has to prove herself, she has to prove she is being genuine, and she does, and I love every literal second of it. Loving Rainbow Rocks is a tell all of why No Second Prances is my all time favorite episode of My Little Pony, sometimes you just have to find the right people, or in this case even just "person". You can't let the words of others deter you from making a new friendship merely bc someone else doesn't want you to be friends, you never know, listening to someone else's BS ludicrous stories about someone you don't actually know is keeping you from making a TRUE TRUE FRIEND... See Bridle Gossip for first reference my fellow bronies bc we learned this lesson long ago...

Edited by KingCorvus

• 1 month later...

Out of western animated shows, I'd put it a solid three. Kim Possible being one, and Phineas and Ferb being two. Sadly, it hardly makes the running if I count anime.

Television shows overall? It drops quite a bit lower among favorites like "Doctor Who" (Lifelong fan!) "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" "Buffy" "Columbo" (Binge watching over at Pluto TV!) and a few others.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, how have I never come across this thread.  Favourite show of all time would be a tough one, since I've seen a lot of shows in my time on Earth.  However, FiM is definitely my favourite girl's show, and that is saying a lot since I have actually seen more girl's shows than I would care to admit, largely because there was a time when I had to share TV time with my sister, though I did end up liking my share of them unironically.  In any case, I can think of few shows in general that I have obsessed over to the extent that I did with FiM, so it would definitely rank pretty high even if I were to try and do a more general all-time best ranking.  

22 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Wow, how have I never come across this thread.  Favourite show of all time would be a tough one, since I've seen a lot of shows in my time on Earth.  However, FiM is definitely my favourite girl's show, and that is saying a lot since I have actually seen more girl's shows than I would care to admit, largely because there was a time when I had to share TV time with my sister, though I did end up liking my share of them unironically.  In any case, I can think of few shows in general that I have obsessed over to the extent that I did with FiM, so it would definitely rank pretty high even if I were to try and do a more general all-time best ranking.  

Ever watch Atomic Betty? That's one of my favorites! I would class it as a girl's show.

33 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Ever watch Atomic Betty? That's one of my favorites! I would class it as a girl's show.

No, but I've heard of it.  I think it aired a little after my time.  Granted, so did FiM, so maybe it just comes down to having a chance encounter.  I do remember really liking shows like Kim Possible and Totally Spies.  Is Atomic Betty kind of in that genre?  

2 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

No, but I've heard of it.  I think it aired a little after my time.  Granted, so did FiM, so maybe it just comes down to having a chance encounter.  I do remember really liking shows like Kim Possible and Totally Spies.  Is Atomic Betty kind of in that genre?  

Atomic Betty is more silly comedy along the lines of My Life as a Teenage Robot, but with a young human girl fighting intergalactic crime. Sort of like a space Kim Possible.

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Atomic Betty is more silly comedy along the lines of My Life as a Teenage , but with a young human fighting intergalactic . Sort of like a space Kim Possible.

Ah, that does sound kind of fun.  I'll look it up.  Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

• 2 months later...