Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions on the 3DS?

NocturnalRainbow

When I owned a 3DS (the original mind you) it was extremely hard to play games on. I would usually like to play in 3D (I mean that IS their gimmick with this new machine) but the "sweet spot" was very small and I would get headaches just trying to play games like Mario Kart 7 because I like to move my head around alot. It does have a lot of interesting games. It's underpowered though compared to the Vita there is no doubt. I wouldn't classify it as my "favorite" handheld that would go to the DS Lite but it is quite good.

The 3D is utterly useless and barely even works. I got the 3DS over the DS solely because doing so doubles the amount of games I can play via backwards compatibility. But it's still a decent handheld. Certainly better than the consoles Nintendo puts out lately...

I bought a 3DS pretty much solely for the Ocarina of Time remake. In fact, although I also use it to play older DS games, the LoZ one is the only 3DS title I own, and nothing else out for it or on the horizon looks good.

But never before have I spent money so wisely; I would have paid twice what the system costs even if it only played that LoZ game.

I bought a 3DS pretty much solely for the Ocarina of Time remake. In fact, although I also use it to play older DS games, the LoZ one is the only 3DS title I own, and nothing else out for it or on the horizon looks good.

But never before have I spent money so wisely; I would have paid twice what the system costs even if it only played that LoZ game.

I wouldn't call shelling out a few hundred bucks for a remake of a game you've likely played before (and thus probably still own the console for, given your overt fondness for it) and could just a rom of otherwise "wise" spending...And I'd call paying double the 3DS price tag for one game plain dumb spending. But whatever floats your boat...It's better than paying $300 for shoes. :lol:

Ocarina of Time, MarioKart, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Super Smash Bros 4, Pokemon X and Y. Those are five very persuasive reasons to get a 3DS. Also, the graphics are really good for a Nintendo system, and especially so for a handheld. I love my 3DS to pieces. My biggest complaint is the battery life. Four hours or so at best.

I bought a 3DS at launch however I sold it a few months later due to the extremely poor launch lineup. When I did have it though I couldn't stand the 3D but I really liked the graphics when it wasn't on 3D. But now more and more games are coming to it I really want to buy another, sadly though I recently had to sink £90 into a new graphics card so that's not possible atm :P

I've never understood why people say the 3DS is bad because the 3D is bad. The 3D isn't the defining aspect of the 3DS, it's just a gimmick that's very hit or miss. I've never even used the 3D. But I still love my 3DS because it has awesome games, and can play all my DS games to boot.

So I'd say yes, it's definitely worth getting, especially if you have a lot of DS games you like. I still have a DS lite to play a few GBA games, but I use my 3DS a lot more these days.

Can anyone agree that the 3DS XL is overall superior to the regular 3DS? I mean bigger screen, longer battery life, better grip, and much better build quality. The regular 3DS feels like a prototype when compared to the 3DS XL imo.

Oh God, no. My roommate has one, and I've tried to play it and couldn't. It's just way too big. The screen being bigger is actually a bad thing, because its the same resolution, just stretched, and anybody who uses a computer regularly will (well, should) know that making things bigger than their original size is a very stupid idea.

Better battery life doesn't really matter unless you frequently are unable to charge your stuff for days at a time, or if you plan to sit around and play your 3DS all day without plugging it in.

As for the design, I also prefer the original. It's smaller and more compact. The XL feels like they just stretched everything out (which, of course, they did). It's thinner and spread over more area, and as such, feels more fragile. Seriously, I feel like it'll break if I so much as drop it onto the couch.

Also, what's the point of a handheld that can't fit in a pocket? :P

I've never understood why people say the 3DS is bad because the 3D is bad. The 3D isn't the defining aspect of the 3DS, it's just a gimmick that's very hit or miss. I've never even used the 3D. But I still love my 3DS because it has awesome games, and can play all my DS games to boot.

So I'd say yes, it's definitely worth getting, especially if you have a lot of DS games you like. I still have a DS lite to play a few GBA games, but I use my 3DS a lot more these days.

Oh God, no. My roommate has one, and I've tried to play it and couldn't. It's just way too big. The screen being bigger is actually a bad thing, because its the same resolution, just stretched, and anybody who uses a computer regularly will (well, should) know that making things bigger than their original size is a very stupid idea.

Better battery life doesn't really matter unless you frequently are unable to charge your stuff for days at a time, or if you plan to sit around and play your 3DS all day without plugging it in.

As for the design, I also prefer the original. It's smaller and more compact. The XL feels like they just stretched everything out (which, of course, they did). It's thinner and spread over more area, and as such, feels more fragile. Seriously, I feel like it'll break if I so much as drop it onto the couch.

Also, what's the point of a handheld that can't fit in a pocket? :P

The thing fits into my pocket very easily. I find the XL model to be alot more comfortable to hold, and my left hand doesn't get cramped anymore when I play Kid Icarus.

The 3DS is awsome it has 3D (expected) good onlinegames awsome 3Dgames nice controlls and many things you can buy at the nintendoEshop and a nice camera.

The nintendo 3DS is just freakin´ awsome.

If i would describe the 3DS in one word it would be "AWSOME"  :lol:

I wouldn't call shelling out a few hundred bucks for a remake of a game you've likely played before (and thus probably still own the console for, given your overt fondness for it) and could just a rom of otherwise "wise" spending...And I'd call paying double the 3DS price tag for one game plain dumb spending. But whatever floats your boat...It's better than paying $300 for shoes. :lol:

I do indeed have a (dying-quite-close-to-dead) N64 with OoT, as well as a ROM image and emulator on my PC.

Seriously, I'm usually not one to praise a game (not to mention, a port of a game at that) for graphics. But I cannot betray the fact that, for me, the much-improved graphics over the original truly do enhance the experience.  The controls are much more intuitive and less clunky, and the 3D; *drools* I didn't believe before owning this system and game that it was such a big deal. I have not been very impressed with other 3DS games in general, and the 3D is usually more of an annoyance in them. But here, in this game, it gives it almost a new level of immersion; everything in the game's world looks absolutely stunning and beautiful. I've tried turning the 3D off for periods of time, but it never has quite the same level of captivation and excitement.

I could go on for a while about my ridiculous justifications for immeasurably poor financial judgment and management, but suffice to say; I basically paid $200+ for a 3D Zelda remake, and it was money well spent.