Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions on the 3DS?

NocturnalRainbow

So I just got a resonably large amount of money for my birthday and I was thinking of getting a 3DS but I've been hearing a lit of mixed reviews and opinions of it around the internet. For those of you have a 3DS what do you think about it, what do you like about it, what do you dislike about it, and is it worth buying?

The 3DS is really good, if you don't have any Gameboy games you want to play and/or have another system that plays Gameboy games. That is possibly my only complaint on the system, that and it takes a little longer to shut down because it has a longer process.

The pluses: It has amazing graphics! It really does. And if your eyes begin to hurt at all from the 3D, you just turn the 3D part off! The games for the 3DS load faster in general, and they save quickly too. It has a few built-in games that are fun, though I don't use them much anymore. It's very versatile; I've dropped it a few times and it's still in good shape.  

All in all, I don't regret getting it. Not at all.

Hope this helps you make your decision! wink.png

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually getting a 3DS for my birthday. My friend owns one and he's let me use it.

The distinguishing feature of a 3DS is, of course, the 3D. There's a slider to adjust the screen between solid 2D and full-on 3D. There are parts in the middle in case it hurts your eyes; so I think the best thing to do is to find a shop where the 3DS is on display for you to try. It would suck if you got a 3DS and then discovered that the 3D didn't appeal to you.

That aside, the 3DS is very comfortable to use, and the new analogue stick is perfect under your thumb; moves smoothly, doesn't jam, possibly the best analogue stick I've used on a console. The online store has a number of really great titles for good amounts of money, that are saved to your 3DS with no need for cartridge. It has backwards compatibility for the Nintendo DS, but not for the GBA; but I'm grateful for the DS compatibility alone.

There are also a wealth of fantastic games coming out for it. There's the new Fire Emblem, the new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Animal Crossing, there's Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and in due time there'll be Pokémon X, Super Smash Bros. Universe and the new Phoenix Wright. It generally seems like the game to get. There's loads of conflict going on between the console games, and ideally you'd want something that's already established to have great reviews.

I couldn't find anything to fault about it in the small amount of time I've spent on it so far. I'm still avidly looking forward to receiving mine tomorrow on my birthday; I would say go and try it first, as I've said, and then make decisions from there. While you're at the place, you could check out some of the other titles in store that I haven't already mentioned (the ones I did were more pinnacle ones.)

3D is just a gimmick. It's come and gone away many many times throughout history and for a lot of people, myself included, it causes eye strain and headaches.

• Brohoof 1

The 3DS is a decent handheld. The very best thing about it is its library, and it's very much worth getting just to play the games released for it alone. I have a few issues with the build quality of the original model though, it doesn't feel as durable as a Nintendo product should(in fact mine's hinge cracked on me just when I opened the damn thing one time so I had to send it in for repair), and the protrusions around the bottom screen can scratch the wider top screen either a little or a lot depending on how you treat it, so I would recommend screen protectors(although I have trouble putting them on myself). I haven't gotten an XL and don't really want one but you're probably better off going with that model if you can, but overall if you want to play the best handheld games out there right now, the 3DS has them and it is definitely worth getting to play them as long as you treat the thing right. ;)

I just got one and I really like it so far! I never use the 3D though. But judging it as a regular handheld it's pretty good. Has a pretty large amount of games that I want too :D But, don't use the 3D... It's pretty bad...

(edited)

The 3D is kind of gimmicky but I've had my fair share of fun on the system. It has enough games to keep me occupied and some pretty big titles are about to be released. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 5 (yesyesyesyesyes! happy.png ) and Pokemon X and Y are two such titles. Luigi's Mansion is my personal favourite and I have no regrets being an early adopter of the system.

Edited by Celtore

(edited)

You should definitely pick up a 3DS! I got one at launch, and don't regret it one bit, I love it!
Obviously it also depends on what kind of games you play. If you're like me and are into a lot of first party Nintendo games, then its great because all of the Nintendo games on there are amazing as usual. Especially Ocarina 3D and Animal Crossing :3

Also, you should take into account how much you like 3D. Personally, i love it, and always have it switched on. But when I first bought it, I got headaches for about 2 weeks before it settled down and my eyes got used to it. That said, the 3D works REALLY well, and improves the look and gameplay of a lot of games.

All in all, its a great handheld. If you like retro games, the Nintendo store on the console has a LOT of great classics at affordable prices. Plus, the handheld itself comes with a bunch of cool features and preloaded games. The 3D camera tool and Streetpass is a personal favourite. 
So, if you like Nintendo games and you like 3D, pick it up. You really get a lot more than what you pay for with it! 

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

Oh, I forgot to talk about the 3D lol... it depends on the game really, for some it's really good like in Super Mario 3D Land and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but in some others it's bad and pixely like in Tales of the Abyss and Resident Evil Revelations, and lastly for some it's not impressive but complliments the game well like Fire Emblem Awakening and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. So yeah, the only way to really see how the 3D is is to turn on a certain game and see it for yourself imo.

I personally don't have my own but I've played on some before, the 3D does kinda hurt my eyes personally a bit, but you can adjust it so thats not a biggie really.

The library alone is probably reason enough to get it though honestly, so many cool games :).

I'm definitely getting one for some of the games on it.

I own the original 3ds and it's an amazing handheld. The 3d effect is more of a gimmick and doesn't really add to the console, but can look nice in some games, but also makes the graphics look a bit jagged in others. It has a good library of games including downloadable Nes and Gameboy games. I've only tried the XL version once, but it doesn't feel as smooth and is about as light as the original. The larger screen is nice, but I would recommend the original over the XL.

I got my 3DS for two reasons. The first; as my DSLite is dying slowly (Got it second hand as a Christmas present, hadn't been treated particularly well before, it won't last forever) so I wanted a replacement. The second reason is because of new games that come out for 3DS. No point getting another Lite or DSi when I'd be wanting a 3DS for newer games anyway...

But yeah, I'd recommend getting one. You don't need to use the 3D, it looks fine without it. Plus some of the online software is good.

The 3D on the 3DS is just another gimmick from a company who makes...what...100% of their money on gimmicks? It's not even a very good gimmick considering the fact that it makes your eyes hurt.

I think the 3D works very well with many of their games and do actually enhance the visual and experience greatly. The 3D effect is a hit and miss really, for some it doesn't work while for some it does, nothing can be done about it. It's something you've to try yourself.

No comment on the latter... :/

• Brohoof 2

I didn't get it for the 3D effect I can tell you that much, it seriously hurts my eyes but thankfully you can adjust the intensity or do what I do and leave it off completely. The 3DS had a bit of a disappointing start with not too many games for its launch lineup but has now gained a very respectable amount of titles both for retail as well as download and has a few oldschool gameboy games available for download as well.

So I just got a resonably large amount of money for my birthday and I was thinking of getting a 3DS but I've been hearing a lit of mixed reviews and opinions of it around the internet. For those of you have a 3DS what do you think about it, what do you like about it, what do you dislike about it, and is it worth buying?

I first recommend the 3DS XL. The screen does make a great difference.

Second, the 3D effect is very, very cool however when I did own mine, I didn't use it for every game. I used it on occasion but sometime I would just turn it off.

The social feature is really neat. Suspend the system into sleep mode and people can appear on your 3DS if you walk past them as they have theirs on. This is fantastic for conventions, malls, of themeparks.

The game library is rapidly increasing as well ^_^

I only traded it in bec

i'd say it's worth it, there isn't an abundance of great games but over time more will come, also there's a looad of good retro games to download so i don't regret buying mine for a second

except when im playing monster hunter with full 3D on, then it starts to make my brain hurt. :S

I've been wanting to get one for a while, it's an impressive handheld with a lot of interesting titles to look forward to(Ace Attorney 5 ftw)

Like DS is started off just kind of okay and exploded in quality after the first year.

The 3D can be actually pretty good. Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising both are fantastic with the 3D turned up.

A lot of games I ignore the 3D like Animal Crossing in Fire Emblem, which are just fine without.

It's like 3D in movies. Can be very immersive or very lame. Depends on the game / movie.

(edited)

3DS has some okay hardware, graphics are okay but outclassed by Vita, and the 3D is a nice touch but nothing really takes advantage of it well, and it uses lots of battery so I generally have it off. Vit ais far superior on hardware alone. The real draw for the 3DS is a FANTASTIC games library, and in my opinion, the best gaming platform this year as it just keeps getting awesome new games. The games are what matters the most which is why 3DS is doing so well unlike the struggling Vita. If you are content with it's options for gaming, then it is very much worth it, but I do recommend the 3DS XL over a regular.

Just a few games you may want to check out include:

Fire Emblem Awakening

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario Kart 7

Luigis Mansion Dark Moon (my favorite game on the 3DS)

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Monster Hunter 3 (I don;t have this but I've played it, its really good!)

Kid Icarus Uprising

Resident Evil Revelations

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

A LOT OF GREAT ESHOP GAMES

that's just to name a few, there are lots more, not to mention a lot coming out like Pokemon X/Y and Mario & Luigi Dream Team

Edited by weegeez

Can't afford :(

Much better than that other 3D system by Nintendo that nobody likes.

Like DS is started off just kind of okay and exploded in quality after the first year.

^ This. The 3DS was really sluggish in sales in the beginning.

My guess is that consumers were skeptical about the 3D and that it would be as lame as that other console.

Can anyone agree that the 3DS XL is overall superior to the regular 3DS? I mean bigger screen, longer battery life, better grip, and much better build quality. The regular 3DS feels like a prototype when compared to the 3DS XL imo.