Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Digibrony e-begs for donations

Sickman

(edited)

Now, I know this is not new news, hell, it's not even news anymore, but I still felt the need to open up about it.

As some of you may know, Digibrony made a series of videos pertaining to his recent YouTube monetization and adSense problems.
He went into detail about how the monetization system works, and how he's apparently not able to exploit it anymore because of the copyright strikes against his main channel that rendered him incapable of monetization.
He then proceeded to begging people for donations through various means; Kickstarter, PayPal, the works.

It is extremely disgusting to me when someone shamefully whores out for money on the internet.
His reasoning was that if his fans could keep him "afloat", so to speak, he wouldn't have to get a dayjob, and could focus solely on producing his analysis videos, and going to various MLP-related conventions.
Well, I hate to break this to you, people, but if you're in such a bad financial situation that you can't afford to maintain  healthy living standards, you go out there and get a legitimate job!
YouTube is a hobby, this is not a real job we're talking about here.

Instead of whining about how difficult your life is monetarily -simply because you're either too lazy to get your ass up, or too occupied with something completely vapid, when it comes to real-life problems (i.e. My Little Pony)- you reflect a bit and do a reality check.
Which one of these two things has more clout; your obsession with colourful cartoon equines, or an empty stomach?

Edited by Sickman
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Now, I know this is not new news, hell, it's not even news anymore, but I still felt the need to open up about it.

As some of you may know, Digibrony made a series of videos pertaining to his recent YouTube monetization and adSense problems.

He went into detail about how the monetization system works, and how he's apparently not able to exploit it anymore because of the copyright strikes against his main channel that rendered him incapable of monetization.

He then proceeded to begging people for donations through various means; Kickstarter, PayPal, the works.

It is extremely disgusting to me when someone shamefully whores out for money on the internet.

His reasoning was that if his fans could keep him "afloat", so to speak, he wouldn't have to get a dayjob, and could focus solely on producing his analysis videos, and going to various MLP-related conventions.

Well, I hate to break this to you, people, but if you're in such a bad financial situation that you can't afford to maintain  healthy living standards, you go out there and get a legitimate job!

Instead of whining about how difficult your life is monetarily -simply because you're either too lazy to get your ass up, or too occupied with something completely vapid, when it comes to real-life problems (i.e. My Little Pony)- you reflect a bit and do a reality check.

Which one of these two things has more clout; your obsession with colourful cartoon equines, or an empty stomach?

While I do agree with you that begging for money is not the best thing, look at it this way. Some people do get paid for doing Youtube videos, and he did. If that was your only way, and your fans helped you, you would think of asking them for money. I'm not defending him, and I do agree that an empty stomach is better than MLP, but that was his only way of making money, and it was taken away from him, so of course he's gonna beg for money! That was his job!

Edited by Sir.Flutter Hooves

Okay, yeah, that drives me insane. Youtube can be a job!

The definition of a job is: "A paid position of regular employment."....So, if you get paid, then yes, Youtube is a real job, deal with it.

He now does not have a job now, so, yeah, he's obviously going to ask for donations. If he does get up and get a different job, then great for him, if not, then okay, he's not forcing you to donate. 

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

• Brohoof 4

Okay, yeah, that drives me insane. Youtube can be a job!

The definition of a job is: "A paid position of regular employment."....So, if you get paid, then yes, Youtube is a real job, deal with it.

He now does not have a job now, so, yeah, he's obviously going to ask for donations. If he does get up and get a different job, then great for him, if not, then okay, he's not forcing you to donate. 

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

All of my "THIS!"

OP, you sound like a capitalist. That's great, I have very strong capitalist leanings myself. But as a capitalist, you need to understand that anything can be a job provided that someone is willing to pay you for it. Digibrony is making money doing what he loves, and I don't see a damn thing wrong with that. It should be everyone's dream to be able to make money doing what they love.

Digibrony isn't even the first guy to make his living this way. Nostalgia Critic, AVGN, Linkara, and many more internet content producers have been able to quit their day jobs to support themselves with internet ad revenue. That's what's so wonderful about the free market, there are no practical limits to how one is allowed to make their living, and people are allowed to chase their lifelong dreams without it disrupting their ability to pay their way through life.

In addition, if Digibrony's fans decide that they love his show enough to donate money to support him, then there isn't a damn thing wrong with that either. He is providing his fans with a service, and the fans have decided that the service he provides is worth a bit of money. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Brohoof 3

Digibrony explained in one of his videos before the change that he never knew what to do with his life, trying various things and never finding much happiness in them until he started doing analysis for books and shows. It was the art of analysis that made him happy. 

You saying that "Youtube is just a hobby so he shouldn't be paid" is like saying "Making clothing is just Rarity's hobby, she shouldn't be asking people to pay for the clothes." or "Growing apples isn't a real job, the trees do all the work." 

If this trend from Hasbro's legal team continues it's going to kill their fan base because no one is going to make art or music or videos about their show. They are kicking themselves in the teeth by doing this kind of stuff. I don't see how they can be this freaking stupid. 

• Brohoof 1