Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why the double standards

Mywas

(edited)

There seems to be a double Standards among the fandom torward The Canterlot ponies. As you all know The Elites and Nobles are snobby and view themselfs Above the normal ponies and they made fun of the mane six more than one time. the only exception is Fancy Pants But he might have a mystery like He was raised in a village but moved to canterlot or something. But the Fandom seems to accept the ways of the nobles Because They aren't Harmful except for in the Best Night Ever and Sweet and Elite. So the Nobles will remain Disrespectful to the lower ponies in status and thats understandable.

But When Prince Blueblood Shows the same traits as the nobles he seems to be hated a lot for it, Infact he might be the most hated character on the show(By the fans).

So my question is, Why are the nobles are allowed to be selfish but Prince Blueblood Can't? I hear a lot of "He Doesn't deserve to be a prince" "How is he related to celestia" "Celestia Should send him to the moon". But The Nobles don't seem to get the same hate as he does even though they are the same as him. he basicly is a Noble with The Title Prince, He was Raised with them, He Hangs around them as seen in sweet and elite, So how couldn't He be like them?

Edited by What
  • Brohoof 1

People tend to give Blueblood more hate because he has a bigger spotlight on the asshole stage.

This, not to mention that all his shown assholiness was directed at Rarity, instead of just towards Ponyville ponies in general. And he had quite a chunk of time dedicated to him and his assholiness, as opposed to the Canterlot elite just having a few lines here and there about how they look down on Ponyville ponies.

• Brohoof 5

I think it's due to the fact that unlike the other fancy Canterlot ponies, blue blood gets spotlight with rarity, and is a total jerk, and gets away with it.

The other ponies are normally just a bit snobby although they didn't actually mess up raritys whole night or anything, and even when they do they get to the point where fancy pants makes them like rarity anyways.

Blue blood is never resolved as liking rarity again, but simply being very stuckup, and jerkish, I honestly find blue blood to be more rude then other Canterlot ponies.

Maybe if he wasn't in the spotlight for most of the s1 finale from rarities perspective he might not get as much dislike.

To be fair he is quite rude. Same with the Canterlot ponies though, but aren't the most likable generally besides being snobby to the point where it's occasionally funny.

So I guess I don't totally put off the Canterlot ponies snobby traits, it's just there not present as often.

I guess for a jerk blue blood fulfills his role, but it doesn't make him a charactor I like exactly. Of course I don't know if he was meant to be likes really, so I'm not sure his charactor is messed up or bad or anything, just not likable like the kinder ponies.

Hopefully my rambling makes some form of sense :P.

I have always despised most of the lot of the Canterlot elite and the residents there. If we consider Canterlot to be the capital of Equestria, then we can also consider it a significant source of the biases, dated traditions and norms and what I perceive to be a corrupt hierarchy. Princess Celestia and Luna are unfortunately equally complicit in the problems that Canterlot and by extension the rest of Equestria. To their credit at least though, both Celestia and Luna have shown consistently that they want to change Canterlot and Equestria and transition power to perhaps a more modern and understanding leader. If you haven't noticed already, Twilight Sparkle actually lives amongst commoners in Ponyville as opposed to simply visit them as Celestia and Luna do. Hell her friends, the Elements of Harmony, are themselves commoners and it was pretty blatantly Celestia's intentions that Twilight lives among them.

Prince Blueblood is simply a caricatured target that reflects many of the negatives of Canterlot, the elites and traditions in Equestria. He doesn't like to get his hands dirty (ie work and manual labor), he thinks highly of himself while condescending others especially commoners and rednecks like Applejack and her food, and he's incredibly uptight and formal to the point that its silly and unnecessary.

Now contrast Blueblood and the Canterlot elite to Celestia, who despite being a ruler, prefers pedestrian donuts at the Gala, is lighthearted and relaxed and invites among other competitors a mule and the same pedestrian donut vendor to a Canterlot baking contest and has no qualms eating their goods (as opposed to Bluebood).  

There seems to be a double Standards among the fandom torward The Canterlot ponies. As you all know The Elites and Nobles are snobby and view themselfs Above the normal ponies and they made fun of the mane six more than one time. the only exception is Fancy Pants But he might have a mystery like He was raised in a village but moved to canterlot or something. But the Fandom seems to accept the ways of the nobles Because They aren't Harmful except for in the Best Night Ever and Sweet and Elite. So the Nobles will remain Disrespectful to the lower ponies in status and thats understandable.

But When Prince Blueblood Shows the same traits as the nobles he seems to be hated a lot for it, Infact he might be the most hated character on the show(By the fans).

So my question is, Why are the nobles are allowed to be selfish but Prince Blueblood Can't? I hear a lot of "He Doesn't deserve to be a prince" "How is he related to celestia" "Celestia Should send him to the moon". But The Nobles don't seem to get the same hate as he does even though they are the same as him. he basicly is a Noble with The Title Prince, He was Raised with them, He Hangs around them as seen in sweet and elite, So how couldn't He be like them?

Well the Canterlot ponies consider themselves above others but they aren't actually rude really. Snobby but not actually rude. Prince Blueblood though was actually rude but not only that spoilt and totally unchivalrous. That is one thing that can't be said about the Canterlot ponies. The elite can't afford to act like that, but a prince... Well there's nothing short of a coup or assassination that will remove him or his position.

I wouldn't really compare Ponyville to the Canterlot elite, but since we have seen Prince Blueblood act very rudely to Rarity and that Celestia would definitely be used to Ponyville's hospitality even if she is different than Blueblood. I guess we could say that the difference between Blueblood and Celestia is, that one of them actually shows respect.

I think Blueblood gets more hate than the other Canterlot ponies because he has so far been the only snobby Canterlot pony to have significant time to show just how arrogant, selfish and uptight he really is while the others only had the occasional moment or two as supporting/background characters so they didn't really have much of a face to them. I don't really hate Blueblood myself because though he is a selfish jerk that is his role as a character but I do understand why some people don't like him as we often become attached to certain characters and another character being a jerk to a character we like or just in general can cause some to dislike that character.

(edited)

Well, not many people actually like the snobby elites, but then again; not much focus is put on them meaning that most people don't really care about them either way. As for Blueblood, he tends to get more hate most likely due to the following reasons:

• Much more focus was put on him.
  •  
  • His negative actions were directed at two of the Mane 6: Rarity and Applejack.
  •  
  • He didn't act like a proper prince; well, at least according to Rarity.
  •  
  • He was more more of a jerk in that episode, and did things that weren't even on the level of most of the elite's snobbish acts.
Edited by Blue Moon

There is also the fact he's referred to as a 'Prince'. Most people assume the title means Blueblood has actual authority of some kind. That's not actually a given, but it's the impression many get. And there's always ire directed at jerks in authority. The rest of the elite may have the attitude, but they all give the impression of being useless with no actual authority or power. Much like how the elite are portrayed in books and shows such as "Jeeves and Wooster", and the like.

The nobles are just sheep you just roll your eyes when you see them. But BlueBlood you are literally repulsed by him he makes rarity throw her clothes over a puddle instead of just walking around it uses her as a shield to block cake and you just have to watch as it all happens the annoyance builds up with him. Actions speak louder that words and all the nobles did was talk crap blueblood talked and acted repulsive.

It's the same double-standard we have with the rich in real life. We despise the examples of wastefulness and greed, but we still aspire to have all the stuff they get to have and be on TV and whatnot. What could Rarity hope for if there were no snobby, exclusive, upper-class types?

I kind of doubt the nobility have any real power. If they did, they'd be doing stuff instead of lolling about throwing away their inheritances on varying forms of self-indulgence. Their dynasty-building ancestors must be rolling over in their (finely decorated) graves.

The nobles are just sheep you just roll your eyes when you see them. But BlueBlood you are literally repulsed by him he makes rarity throw her clothes over a puddle instead of just walking around it uses her as a shield to block cake and you just have to watch as it all happens the annoyance builds up with him. Actions speak louder that words and all the nobles did was talk crap blueblood talked and acted repulsive.

Actually I found those scenes funny. Prince Blueblood unlike the nobles is very funny and quite frankly has better designs. Unless you think only females (trixie and Gilda) can be rude to females, You should laugh at Blueblood not hate him.

I am not selective, I just hate nobles all equally.
Okay, I'm just kidding.  I just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dislike them.

This is not surprising since almost all of them are portrayed so stereotypically. Especially, when we would expect that in that friendly world they will be more likeable than their human counterparts.
Blueblood is even more unbearable because we compare him to the princess Celestia due to his title of Prince.
Maybe we would be more inclined to like them if we would see more nobles like Fancy Pants or Celestia.

What I never got was how none of them knew who Rainbow Dash was.  She won the Best Young Flier's Competition by preforming the thought impossible sonic rainboom.  I think that would make the front page of a few papers.