Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP in Japan

Zoraxe

(edited)

As many of you are aware, MLP has a japanese dub.

However, it is only played once a week, early morning before school. So its not a good time slot and Bushiroad hasn't advertised MLP on TV at all as far as I can tell. Sure they did stuff like this...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2013-03-31

But there has hardly been anything pony on TV, it makes me worried that MLP may just be so under exposed in japan that it wont take off and there wont be any more dubed episodes after the 52 episodes already planned.

However, there is good news, the official MLP manga will debut this august. So maybe this will give MLP a little more exposer in Japan.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-14/zelda-akira-himekawa-to-draw-my-little-pony-manga

The show has the most exposer in Japan on Niconico (a video site). Japanese bronies exist, they were watching fansubbed episodes before the official dub. Theres not a huge number of them though.

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

And here I thought the Nippon love fest was over.
Honestly, I never understood the collective orgasm that this fandom experienced when the Japanese dub was announced.
I mean, sure, the Japanese have some top-end, high-quality voice actors, but how people think this pony dub differs from any other foreign dub, escapes me.
Personally, I'm sticking with the original English dub. There's just no beating Ashleigh Ball.

• Brohoof 7

the Japanese have some top-end, high-quality voice actors

Hmm..... eh.... .... their voices just annoy me actually.

But anyway, I'll just stick with the original. I don't know what's the big fuss about japanese stuff, I think they are overrated. But if we can get japanese bronies, we will rule the world. And pony hentai everywhere.

2e36c6d90d80b545c1091ab29477092213638839S6e6lFD.jpg

This is disturbing, seriously.

• Brohoof 1

Ive never seen any of the other language dubs of it and i also don't really see the point of watching them specifically over the English ones. I mean, yeah, Japanese stuff is awesome and whatnot, but eh.

And pony hentai everywhere.

>Implying its not already everywhere
  • Brohoof 2

well,..i've heard some dubs, namely the slovene one (Which might i add is horendous and should be burned and burried in a ditch, then blown up with an atomic bomb), some scenes in french, italian, russia,....and the japanese one,...which,,,please dont kill me, i dont like,...rainbow dash's voice....yeah...no...

Edited by Guest

Honestly, I never understood the collective orgasm that this fandom experienced when the Japanese dub was announced.

I mean, sure, the Japanese have some top-end, high-quality voice actors, but how people think this pony dub differs from any other foreign dub, escapes me.

Personally, I'm sticking with the original English dub. There's just no beating Ashleigh Ball.

If you listened to the italian dubs you would change your mind.

Oh, the nightmares.

The japanese dub was...fun? But nothing can top the English dub. 

The only thing I like about the japanese dub is the nice touch of adding the character's name when they are first introduced. Other than that, it's ok. Honestly, it feels like watching another anime but just filled with ponies. I prefer our dub because I can actually understand what they are saying plus we have the fake accents and such which make the characters more diverse in a way. Although I will admit, japanese Rarity does sound pretty hot haha 

Usually every show that I enjoy is farther into the series in japan than in the US. In this case, it's the other way around. 

• 10 months later...

I'm saying HI HI HI, to My Little Pony...

I'm sure that Japan loves MLP, it's really their kind of show.

I agree with Darker. MLP is really kind of their show.....

Go anime!

• Brohoof 1

Oh hay, my thread is alive again!

Yeah, I have been keeping my eye on the Japanese fandom, its been interesting.

Ive noticed that AJ gets a lot of love from her fans, I don't know if she is the absolute most popular pony in Japan but AJ's fans seem to be the loudest in their admiration. Rarity gets a lot of like too, a lot of the japanese fans are really amused by her personality and voice.

I watched the Japanese dub of MLP: FiM from episode 1 to episode 12. I keep on telling myself to watch the dub more, but I don't feel really motivated to do so.

I like how characters like Applejack, Big Macintosh, Cheerilee and even Gilda have a larger fanbase in Japan than the Western audience. It usually makes me wonder what makes these characters so special to the Japanese audience. I find it also interesting that the majority of Japanese MLP fans hate Trixie. It would make sense since arrogance is shunned there.

Rarity gets a lot of like too, a lot of the japanese fans are really amused by her personality and voice.

Well, did you know that according to Rarity's seiyū, she was actually intending to make her sound more like a character from a hentai series instead of something regal? I don't know why, but this fact amuses me a little. :P

I like the Japanese dub. :)

I've always seen the "Nippon love fest" as you call it more of a generational thing. I remember back in the original days of Toonami on American Cartoon Network. A lot of people grew up watching anime, which was was pretty huge at the time. Lots of it on TV, which is rare by today's standard. In fact, there was a huge movement where people were demanding more uncut anime titles, no more westernizing or dumbing things down.
In fact, back then, high speed internet wasn't around like it is now. People couldn't just stream entire episodes of an anime or anything. Unless you knew how to get your hands on a bootleg copy of an anime or something similar, your only portal to stuff like that was through the TV. Even today, there is something about putting anime on TV that makes it more well known than straight-to-video releases.

And there might be another generation of Japan love happening again. Toonami is back, although on Adult Swim these days, with lots of new anime titles.

I'm wondering if they gave AJ, Big Mac & AppleBloom Osakan accents, since that is depicted as the Japanese equivalent to the American south in most dubbed anime.  

Ah, you mean the Kansai dialect. Yes, everyone agrees, even the Japanese bronies themselves. The Apples should've had that dialect, but they weren't given any special dialect. They just speak normally, save for the occasional "Yeehaw!" and what have you.

• Brohoof 1

I've talked to lots of Japanese people around college age and none have ever heard of MLP. I think it is essentially non-existent in that country. And I don't like the idea of a pony manga. The two concepts don't sound like they would merge well.

I have talked to a couple friends who live in Japan, and outside the internet they don't even know it exists.

As for its popularity, I feel that since Japan already has a lot of great shows "for kids" that do the same thing FiM, with similar themes and groups of young women that it will not become that popular, because they would be more supportive of a show that not only caters to their culture more in mythology and setting, but also is locally produced.

and inb4 a swath of new mlp dojuns get made.

The Apples should've been given an Okinawan accent — nothing says "southern" like haitai and mensooree.

Though I'm not a fan of dubs in general (outside the original language, because sometimes things get lost in translation) I do enjoy the Japanese dub.

(edited)

There is a Korean dub now too! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MLP+korean+dub

I watched the Japanese dub of MLP: FiM from episode 1 to episode 12. I keep on telling myself to watch the dub more, but I don't feel really motivated to do so.

I like how characters like Applejack, Big Macintosh, Cheerilee and even Gilda have a larger fanbase in Japan than the Western audience. It usually makes me wonder what makes these characters so special to the Japanese audience. I find it also interesting that the majority of Japanese MLP fans hate Trixie. It would make sense since arrogance is shunned there.

There was a guy a while back before there was a Japanese Dub who wrote an article about the Japanese Fandom and was later in a video interview. This guy said some inaccurate things and is a discredited source, and is the one who started the whole 'The Japanese fans hate Trixie' thing, the Japanese fans like Trixie just fine.

Well, did you know that according to Rarity's seiyū, she was actually intending to make her sound more like a character from a hentai series instead of something regal? I don't know why, but this fact amuses me a little. :P

That's interesting, do you have a link to that source? Is it an interview?

I'm wondering if they gave AJ, Big Mac & AppleBloom Osakan accents, since that is depicted as the Japanese equivalent to the American south in most dubbed anime.  

Nope. Plus Osaka dialects don't really fit anyways. A rural accent like a Hokkaido accent would be more fitting.

I've talked to lots of Japanese people around college age and none have ever heard of MLP. I think it is essentially non-existent in that country. And I don't like the idea of a pony manga. The two concepts don't sound like they would merge well.

Its a niche show. It has its fans but its not mainstream.

Edited by Zoraxe

That's interesting, do you have a link to that source? Is it an interview?

All I know is that I found it while browsing through a TV Tropes page, where it could be found in the "Fandom Reactions" tab. I couldn't find any interviews, unfortunately.

Although I prefer Dashie's original, English voice and consider it to be her real voice, I do quite like her Japanese dub voice as well.  And although I've no reason to believe it will be printed / officially translated Stateside, I wouldn't mind owning / reading the Akira Himekawa manga.  I'm somewhat familiar with their work as I own the Zelda manga that covers the "A Link to the Past" game.