Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who gets shy around their own relatives?

Bethielikesponies

I don't mean family you see all the time, but relatives. Mine all live hours away but we still see each other a few times a year so I know them well yet for some reason I get really shy and quite around them.

Does anybody else experience this? I'm shy around new people but only after a few days, then I'm fine, but I've known my relatives since I was young.

• Brohoof 3

I don't mean family you see all the time, but relatives. Mine all live hours away but we still see each other a few times a year so I know them well yet for some reason I get really shy and quite around them.

Does anybody else experience this? I'm shy around new people but only after a few days, then I'm fine, but I've known my relatives since I was young.

Me too. I get shy because I don't like them. Whenever they come, I shy away and flee, they leave, and I yell at my dad for bringing them. Its sad really. 

• Brohoof 2

Me too. Especially my older cousins. I was kind of a weird and stupid kid when I was a little squirt. I'm still wondering if they think I'm sane after all of these years XP

• Brohoof 1

Your relatives know you on a more personal note, but only because they're your relatives.

A stranger only knows what you tell them. Relatives know a lot more. Can't hide much from them.

I personally am also quite shy around relatives (and close family, as well, but not as much), because I feel much more exposed. I don't have my typical wall of mystery that I keep to hide my actual self from others.

• Brohoof 2

I get pretty shy, too. But it's for a different reason. Well, yes, they live far away, but it's still different. It's like whenever I come over, they assault me with insults, so I came to avoid them.

• Brohoof 3

I'm shy around most of my relatives. I rarely ever see them and don't know what to do when I do see them. When I have to go and visit, I usually just keep my distance and avoid conversation with them. No one notices me anyway, so it's good. I'm just as shy around them as I am around every other person.

• Brohoof 1

Yes and no.  I dislike all my relatives.  They are all people who seem to not do anything wrong.  I just sit and listen to music or watch tv.

• Brohoof 1

I get like this all the time!

About a week ago I went to one of my older cousin's wedding 3 hours away. Most of the time at the reception I just sat at the table awkwardly and shy, but I eventually I grew comfortable with them and started partying with everyone else lol :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty shy around relatives since, either I never met them before or since I don't get to see them until I visit them during the summer. I'm more comfortable being around family than relatives, which I don't see as much.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah totally, I get so shy that they tell my mother that they think I'm anti social and that I hate them. (Which is only partially true) I mean, I get shy around my younger cousins, my nieces and my own half brother!

• Brohoof 1

Yes and no.  I dislike all my relatives.  They are all people who seem to not do anything wrong.  I just sit and listen to music or watch tv.

I dislike most of mine as well, most (not all, some of them are ok) are very stuck up and think they are perfect and don't do anything wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

No, not really. I can't stand talking to some of them though. They just love to bring up topics I don't want to hear about, much less take part in. It's just the aunts and uncles that I have to avoid; I get along with my cousins just fine.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Im shy (almost can't talk shy) with nearly EVERYONE, except my immediate family and my friends (even then sometimes I have a hard time talking). Many people say that I am "a man of few words" because I rarely say anything.

Edited by Gamer P0N3
  • Brohoof 1

I'm supremely shy around everybody, including family and friends, and especially strangers. Being shy sucks, but I can never become more open no matter what I do. I'm a loner who prefers being left alone, that's how it is, and that's probably how it's going to stay. So, no, I'm shy around relatives also. 

• Brohoof 2

Actually, my relatives get annoyed by how shy and quiet I can be around them. They always ask me things like "Why are you so quiet?, TALK.". *Sigh*

• Brohoof 1

I can't really say i'm all that shy around my relatives. It's more or less I hate 98% of my relatives, which in turn, keeps me from having anything to do with them. The other 2% or relatives that I actually like, yeah i'm pretty damn shy around them. It's just the way I am.

• Brohoof 1

I can definitely be shy around my relatives, but I love them. I get less shy in general as I get older, though. Plus, the more time I spend with someone, the less I'm shy around them. That's why I'm not shy around my parents at all, but I am shy around my cousins, aunt, and uncle that I might only see once a year, sometimes less.

• Brohoof 2

Yes. I'm very shy, so until I get to know my relatives really well, I have a very difficult time conversing with them. It's very awkward. ._.

• Brohoof 1

Me too. Whenever they visit I would just say hi and stay in my room and try to find an excuse, such as studying, for not going outside and talking with them. And sometimes I sit next to them in a restaurant and it becomes so awkward.

• Brohoof 1

Your relatives know you on a more personal note, but only because they're your relatives.

A stranger only knows what you tell them. Relatives know a lot more. Can't hide much from them.

I personally am also quite shy around relatives (and close family, as well, but not as much), because I feel much more exposed. I don't have my typical wall of mystery that I keep to hide my actual self from others.

That's interesting. I grew up feeling very shy around half of my family because we knew little about each other. The half I grew up around lived in the sticks like I did, and were bumpkins of a sort. Whenever I got together with the other half, who were gentry by comparison and quite vain, I was entirely out of my element. All I wanted to do was leave because there was nothing to be discussed and we didn't understand each other at all. Felt like I was a child dropped off with some strangers.

Things have turned around in recent years. Now we're pretty close due mostly to assisting each other during some very trying times. That other half I grew up with is busy with drug addictions and Jerry Springer-like relationships and now I have nothing to do with them at all. Haven't talked to some of them in over 5 years, and wouldn't mind never seeing them again.

• Brohoof 2

Nope you're not the only one. I don't see my relatives often, and when I do I'm really nervous around them and i don't say a word. They are all the loud, friendly type, and I'm quiet and shy. 

• Brohoof 1